• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ottawa Bi-weeklies, because illegal gambling is perfectly legal

jan

Smash Cadet
In the latest version of the map (that I've seen) the switching problems are mostly resolved. There's a path way that leads from the bottom corner of each side up to the top, where there's a fall down block that protects the inactive partner. The switcher getting out of the way is now a much more streamlined process, and since there's somewhat of a small maze going up to the top. It also limits switch spamming, assuming you're only allowed to switch once your partner is in position at the top.

How about having some kind of desperation attack where if both players on a team are under 50hp, they're allowed to do a 2v1 until they die? I think it would be a pretty fun substitute for MvC's team supers.

Also, is there any way to have health gradually recover? Part of the point of switching out in the real MvC is to let your partner get some of their health back.

Niko_K

Smash Master
Those vids of me and Ben need to come up soon. **** the first set of GF. Just the second is what we want. xD

buenob

Smash Lord
looks like the last weekend in february is when the first OBscene tournament will be held :) I'll make a tourney thread once I pay, and get the OK from you guys since it's for us specifically, and I don't want to hold it if no one from here can go lol

also, drivers needed -- I don't have any tv's myself, so it'll be interesting trying to get this going...

also, 7 min, neutrals are (FD,BF,SV,YI, halberd, delphino, castle seige), with the changes to CP levels being + skyworld + luigis mansion + ps2 with each person getting 2 bans

entry fee will be standard 15 singles, 10 each for doubles... the cost of the room will be just over 200, so 120 out of singles and 80 out of doubles will go to pay for this, and then the rest will be top 3 payout in doubles (60/30/10) and top 5 in singles payout (40/25/15/10/10)

also -- I was thinking of running an alternate tourney, 2 dollar entry fee, double elim 16-24 man brackets only for anyone who doesn't make it out of pools but still wants to play... how good/bad an idea is that? I know that there will be about 8-10 people I know from ottawa coming to this who probably won't stand a chance in the actual 'tournament' but will be playing for fun... it would be good to give a competitive "low player tier" tourney a chance (but time could run short :() comments?

edit--we need a logo!

arsenic41

Smash Ace
In the latest version of the map (that I've seen) the switching problems are mostly resolved. There's a path way that leads from the bottom corner of each side up to the top, where there's a fall down block that protects the inactive partner. The switcher getting out of the way is now a much more streamlined process, and since there's somewhat of a small maze going up to the top. It also limits switch spamming, assuming you're only allowed to switch once your partner is in position at the top.

How about having some kind of desperation attack where if both players on a team are under 50hp, they're allowed to do a 2v1 until they die? I think it would be a pretty fun substitute for MvC's team supers.

Also, is there any way to have health gradually recover? Part of the point of switching out in the real MvC is to let your partner get some of their health back.
That was what I was thinking about the star, but not alot of people seem to warm up to that idea.

The gradually increase in health we do not have a solution for right now.

And I like Infzy's rule about switching.

And ben is right...we do need a logo.

I also like the idea of a secondary tournament for those who want to play 4 fun/pool dropout.

Fogel

Smash Lord
First things first...tomorrow night, don't show up before 6pm. Reason being is that my current lift to work (yes, I'm screwed over by the bus strike too) works until 5pm every night, so I am getting home later than normal. Sorry to anyone whom this may inconvenience.

looks like the last weekend in february is when the first OBscene tournament will be held :) I'll make a tourney thread once I pay, and get the OK from you guys since it's for us specifically, and I don't want to hold it if no one from here can go lol

also, drivers needed -- I don't have any tv's myself, so it'll be interesting trying to get this going...

also, 7 min, neutrals are (FD,BF,SV,YI, halberd, delphino, castle seige), with the changes to CP levels being + skyworld + luigis mansion + ps2 with each person getting 2 bans

entry fee will be standard 15 singles, 10 each for doubles... the cost of the room will be just over 200, so 120 out of singles and 80 out of doubles will go to pay for this, and then the rest will be top 3 payout in doubles (60/30/10) and top 5 in singles payout (40/25/15/10/10)

also -- I was thinking of running an alternate tourney, 2 dollar entry fee, double elim 16-24 man brackets only for anyone who doesn't make it out of pools but still wants to play... how good/bad an idea is that? I know that there will be about 8-10 people I know from ottawa coming to this who probably won't stand a chance in the actual 'tournament' but will be playing for fun... it would be good to give a competitive "low player tier" tourney a chance (but time could run short :() comments?

edit--we need a logo!
It's a good idea, but you will probably need those setups for singles brackets after pools is finished. Unless you've negotiated longer hours than I was able to get, you probably won't have time for this.

Question. Do pools come before payment for Singles?
Ben already answered your question, but just FYI, pools count as part of the tournament. Pools matches are tournament matches, and the brackets afterwards are 'extra' for those who made it out of pools.

edit: Forgot to mention, Grand Finals set 2 are being uploaded now.

buenob

Smash Lord
yeah i was worried about that... I think I'll make it TV dependent... I mean, if we get 20 TV's it'll be a snap to run that, but with 12 or less it probably won't work

also we're going to be in the ladies parlour, couldn't get the big room downstairs so I have to check out the size of it (though they know the turnout so I should expect it to be comparable...

either way, im' glad there's interest in it, but thanks for the "probably not" cam :)

CHAOSvsORDER

Smash Journeyman
Ben, this is amazing! Also, pretty cool of you to include those stages. Why is ps2 usually not allowed normally? Is it just because it can get ghey w/ the wind? Well anyways, sign me up as soon as you can.

Divine_Haze

Smash Journeyman
PND Here:
I like the pools tourney idea, it can give the other plays a chance to walk away with something. . . but how many would be willing to part with more money just to lose again? Morale might be pretty low at that point. If entry was free but for something like a sponsored prize or a gift certificate I could see better turnout for it.
But I'm not sure if better turnout = good, that might detract from setups needed for the main brackets.

Also, I'm not a huge fan of the stages. To be honest, I don't think I would enter singles with skyworld, luigis, or PS2 on. Honestly, those stages impede gameplay far too much to be considered. Even if they won't be counterpicked, I still don't like the thought of losing on them. I'm also not a huge fan of the neutrals, but i can deal with that a little more. (Even though Halberd most certainly is NOT neutral. . . same with Castle Seige. Delfino is tolerable, although I still think Neutral is stretching it) Hell, I played Andrew's DeDeDe on that level. It's not neutral. I had to spend 1/rd of the entire match camping and fighting the level itself to avoid guaranteed death. I mean, I won, but even then the fact that I spent a 1/3rd of the whole match just avoiding DeDeDe means it's not Neutral. Seriously, it's considered a DeDeDe counterpick. How is that neutral?

I can try and graffiti up a logo, but it'd be on paper (or brick somewhere) so it'd be hard to really spread around. Someone with digital skillz should get on that

jan

Smash Cadet
Props to Ben for the stage list! Very cool.

It'll be a nice experiment to see how these stages affect things. To be honest, I don't think it will change much. Since most players are used to the other rule set, I suspect all the stages you added in will be banned/struck immediately, but at least they're in there!

Divine_Haze

Smash Journeyman
PND Still:
Yeah, but I'd rather not waste a ban on a stage that shouldn't be in the roster. Here's the thing, I wouldn't, and won't, stake money on any of those matches. I'll show up and I'll enter doubles, but I won't enter singles if those stages are allowed. I know I'm not alone, I don't think many competitive players would be willing to stake their chances against such terrible levels.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
I agree on Luigi's and sort of on Skyworld, but dunno about PS2. The pools idea might be cool, but don't know if people would want to part with more money, as has been pointed out. Also, the vehicle I've got this week (minivan), looks to have some issues with it (oil problems, like the 'check oil' light coming on when you take a turn and the left front blinker doesn't work), so I have absolutely no idea if I can make it out tomorrow or not. It all depends on whether it can get fixed, since I somehow suspect that there's something illegal about driving with a broken signal. :laugh:

Divine_Haze

Smash Journeyman
Return of PND - The bride of Funkenstein:
Yeah, just a tad illegal. If ya need directions or whatev, just gimme a call. (I know Cam likes giving directions, but Tyler HAS shown up before, lol)

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Yeah, assuming the van gets working properly and well, legally to be driven at night, chances are I'll be asking you for directions. Actually, if Fogel could PM some to me too so I'd have like...dunno 2 separate ones to compare (as that might help), could be good. Oh, and also (to Mike), apparently we got a parking ticket last time for parking in the wrong parking spot or something since my sister says she found one on the outside of the windshield when she went to work the day after.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Well, it was supposedly just a warning telling us not to do it again. My guess is that because of the snow on the ground we somehow wound up parking half in a visitor spot and half in a uh..."resident" spot. That's like, the only thing I can think of.

CHAOSvsORDER

Smash Journeyman
Also, I'm not a huge fan of the stages. To be honest, I don't think I would enter singles with skyworld, luigis, or PS2 on. Honestly, those stages impede gameplay far too much to be considered. Even if they won't be counterpicked, I still don't like the thought of losing on them.
What's problem with those stages? Skyworld I can sort of understand. The whole platforms thing can get somewhat irritating, though the platforms revive after 12 seconds. Luigis can be... camped on? And PS2... what's wrong with PS2? The converyor belt?

I'm also not a huge fan of the neutrals, but i can deal with that a little more. (Even though Halberd most certainly is NOT neutral. . . same with Castle Seige. Delfino is tolerable, although I still think Neutral is stretching it) Hell, I played Andrew's DeDeDe on that level. It's not neutral. I had to spend 1/rd of the entire match camping and fighting the level itself to avoid guaranteed death. I mean, I won, but even then the fact that I spent a 1/3rd of the whole match just avoiding DeDeDe means it's not Neutral. Seriously, it's considered a DeDeDe counterpick. How is that neutral?
For neutrals we're doing striking right? Just strike seige then man. As for counterpick, then the solution would be to pick a character that can't be CG'd. Our current counter picking methods make it so you can change characters after you know the stage, so knowingly picking a character that can be CG'd would be the fault of the player. I figure that's what Ben has in mind, right? Or wrong?

Fogel

Smash Lord
All singles matches are finally done! I've compiled everything into a playlist: http://ca.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=13EBA36103EF4EE4

Here is doubles for those who missed it:

http://ca.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=4AFA5B40C74B627A

Randy/hackers, could you please put these links into the first post? Thanks!

yeah i was worried about that... I think I'll make it TV dependent... I mean, if we get 20 TV's it'll be a snap to run that, but with 12 or less it probably won't work

also we're going to be in the ladies parlour, couldn't get the big room downstairs so I have to check out the size of it (though they know the turnout so I should expect it to be comparable...

either way, im' glad there's interest in it, but thanks for the "probably not" cam :)
I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or not here, but I'm just trying to be realistic. Doubles and singles pools will each take a couple of hours, and at that point people will want to get food, which means an extra hour of delay. Then, for singles brackets, most of the TVs will be in use for the first couple of rounds, which means another hour or two. Given my past experience, I just think it will be hard to fit in.

Just get Ariel to do the Graffiti.
Well played.

Yeah, assuming the van gets working properly and well, legally to be driven at night, chances are I'll be asking you for directions. Actually, if Fogel could PM some to me too so I'd have like...dunno 2 separate ones to compare (as that might help), could be good. Oh, and also (to Mike), apparently we got a parking ticket last time for parking in the wrong parking spot or something since my sister says she found one on the outside of the windshield when she went to work the day after.
Where exactly did you guys park? FYI, most of the townhouse parking spots (the little parking lots just off of the street) are considered 'private property' so there is some risk if you park there. I suggest just parking on the street, there are no problems that way.

Anyways, I will pm you directions after this post.

infomon

Smash Scientist
As much as I'm generally open-minded about stages... I gotta admit, I'm kinda uncomfortable about the idea of choosing stages that eliminate any character from being viable. It's a pretty big task to ask someone to pick up a secondary just because of one stage. Just an opinion tho, idk.

This stage stuff is just weird because the game's still fairly new IMO, we don't really know how a lot of stuff works out; many of us lack stage experience to really feel comfortable with buenob's list for a big tournament. Personally, I think it's our own fault for having chosen to prematurely ban many stages ahead of the larger competitive community.

jan

Smash Cadet
This stage stuff is just weird because the game's still fairly new IMO, we don't really know how a lot of stuff works out; many of us lack stage experience to really feel comfortable with buenob's list for a big tournament. Personally, I think it's our own fault for having chosen to prematurely ban many stages ahead of the larger competitive community.
Well said! Although the entire Smash community is too ban happy in general, so I wouldn't put Ottawa at fault.

LivewiresXe said:
Well, it was supposedly just a warning telling us not to do it again. My guess is that because of the snow on the ground we somehow wound up parking half in a visitor spot and half in a uh..."resident" spot. That's like, the only thing I can think of.
Ohhhh, that was you guys? Just as we were leaving the car last time, some lady told us to move our car. The one she was talking about wasn't ours, so we didn't think about it. I know the parking lot you're talking about and you were literally one space outside of the marked visitor parking. It was just an annoyed resident, don't worry about it.

CHAOSvsORDER

Smash Journeyman
Harold here:

Ben, I totally applaud and approve of your rules! Excellent choices and a good step in the right direction. :)

Mike, you'd never be fighting on that stage first since you'd no doubt be striking it out. It's always been a counterpick in all other tournaments so your problem can't be with the level itself. No level is "neutral", they're "starters" (which is a stupid system in my opinion but whatever...). As a Lucas main, I will never, in this rule system, start on Yoshi's Island unless I myself allow it. Plus, with the added benefit of two bans each (a good idea to include with the addition of levels some people have yet to warm up to, good job!) any super pro-whoever levels will be taken out regardless.

Again, Ben, I like your rules and DEMAND that they be the new Ottawa rules in the bi-weekly, or wherever else (excluding my Big Blue loving apartment).

EDIT: Infzy, what level are you referring to? No legal level makes any character unviable.

Remember guys, STAGE STRIKING is in effect, yes? You could throw in Spear Pillar in the starter levels (only) and it wouldn't make a difference whatsoever.

Remilia Scarlet

Smash Cadet
Official Ottawa SWR Tier List

The purpose is to show players in the Ottawa Community where exactly they compare to other players and gives them an incentive to further better themselves.

The Tier List is based off of MY OPINION ONLY, so friendlies and tournament results do affect your ranking on the PR (but the PR is changed once every bi-weekly ends).

Decent Human Being Tier

Remilia Scarlet

**** **** *** *** Tier

Arsenic

Top Bottom