• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ottawa Bi-weeklies, because illegal gambling is perfectly legal

Divine_Haze

Smash Journeyman
Okay, so I'll probably have a car for the 14th. Which means I can run into the city and pick up 4 people. I'm gonna say Bayshore is a great meeting place because it's easy as **** for me to get to.

And Bryant can drive some people. And Tyler said he can drive some people one way, too, I don't know if that still stands.

So basically no ride johns allowed.
You heard the man, that means CONFIRM YERSELVES!!!!!

Tin Man

Smash Hero
I need answers to the following questions ASAP. Time to put the business suits on and figure somethings out.

1. There are greyhound buses arriving in Ottawa from Toronto at 5:40 AM & 12:15 PM (buses arrive at later times but that's just stupid to consider them). I think the 12:15 bus is too late, so there is the 5:40AM option. If I arrive at this time, will I have to wait at the terminal and then get a ride on the way, or would someone be able to house me for like the 3 hours before the tourney?

2. I have work on sunday evening at 5pm. There are 3 buses (on Sunday) that will get me to work on time which are:

departing: 12:30 AM, arriving: 5:55 AM
departing: 7:00 AM, arriving: 12:05 PM
departing: 9:30 AM, arriving: 2:25 PM

I would prefer to catch the 7 o clock bus. If I were to be housed, would I be able to get to the bus terminal at 7am? the 9:30 am is also ok, but the 7 am just seems so perfect.

3. My final concern is the attendance of this tourney. Is it worth going all this way and paying $100?

PND

Smash Champion
1. What about arriving Friday night? I can house you another night if needed and you can warm up all day with us on Saturday. Plus on Friday night I might have some ladies coming over.

2. If no one else steps up, I can give you a ride to the bus terminal for any of those times. I may ***** and moan about it, but I can make sure it gets done.

3. I'm going to be 100% honest here. Attendance likely won't be super high, I'm anticipating between 8 and 16 people at $5 a pop for singles. You might break even or make a *slight* profit if you perform well enough in singles and doubles, but you won't be making mad stacks of money. The real draw is hanging out, playing smash, eating burgers, and being part of the best smash community around. Overall, it's likely going to be a pretty small tourney.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
I can probably pick people up, but the only hurdle is that my family's going up to the cottage that weekend and was considering going when they went up, but now it's kinda conflicting. It should still stand, but there's going to have to be a general time frame/location around it to meet in order for it to work.

Edit: Oh, and ladies huh? Any of them have hot sisters? :laugh:

Tin Man

Smash Hero
friday night arrival is impossible, i have to go to a christian youth group (one of the agreements I had to make so i can get this weekend off.

Also, PND, I need ur address and cell phone # (because I live with my parents =_=) You can PM them to me. if u don't wanna publicly reveal dat info

PND

Smash Champion
If one of the early crews coming in can pick you up it would be ideal, otherwise I'm not heading into the city until around noon

PND

Smash Champion
That entirely depends on when Bryant is heading in. If he's heading in before noon, he can probably pick you up earlier. If not, the noon bus would be better for me. So if Bryant can't pick you up earlier, I'll pick you up around noonish

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
It actually turns out the cottage is the weekend of the 20th, so it's not going to interfere. And going places/ladies on a Friday the 13th? Duuude, you know that's never good.

KnucklesTheEchidna

Smash Apprentice
my plans on timing specifics are foggy since work scheduled me saturday night. but dont worry there is no way im working they are shuffling shifts around but i may have to work early sunday or late friday. I will know by sunday night or so and make such decisions. I will do my best to help you out tinman. Bosak I am sure if you either pick him up or drop him off that I can do the other (just dont know which one yet).

infomon

Smash Scientist
I will talk to infzy next time I see him online.

EDIT: **** that I'll just send him an e-mail or summin'
^^ that worked, good stuff LS.

Tin Man: replying to you by pm.

Ottawa: SUP BROS, sorry guys I'm kinda totally disappearing from smash. I was in Tanzania for most of July, that was crazy, saw lions and leopards and elephants and cheetahs and giraffes and stuff. Climbed a mountain, concluded mountain climbing is dumb. But got all zen-like.

Now I've quit my job and I'm going back to school in September. Sure, I already have a degree -- B.Math, Computer Science and Statistics -- but the software industry is dumb and anti-consumer mostly, and after writing code all day I don't have the mental energy to go home and write open-source happy code. So screw that, I'm now a first-year student of Computational Earth Sciences. wtf? I don't even know what that means! I'ma study rocks and volcanoes and stuff! crazy! I might ditch it for biochem, but w/e.

The point being, I have at long-last cut myself off from videogames. I remember being addicted; like knowing I need to do x or y, but just needing to play one more round, and being depressed about myself when I just couldn't stop, because it was an escape from thinking about the dreams I thought I couldn't pursue. And it just seemed hella-fun compared to doing other things. Meh, I'll still play games now and then, but now I'm just re-balancing how I spend my time, and hopefully I'll actually do well at school this time!

MWA!

<3 you all and I'll let yaz know if I ever end up in O-town for some smash or cheeseburgers!

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Well, my phone seems to not be working right now for whatever reason so, anyone here who wants to reach me will either have to PM, IM, or in Mike's case, call me at home. :(

The_Jiggernaut

Smash Ace
K, guys, I haven't heard exactly where I'm getting picked up, and I hope it's at 12. So, I'm going to head over to bayshore now, my number is 6I(Three)-88(two)-8(five)3O

If someone knows what's going on, please call me. I will be going to bayshore right now.

PND

Smash Champion
Results time!

Low tiers: $2 entry fee

1: Linkshot ($14.00) :ness2:
2: Jiggernaut ($2.00) :jigglypuff:
3: Zylem :bowser2:
4: MALCORE :mario2: :falcon:
5: PND :jigglypuff: :falcon:
5: Knuckles :zelda:
7: SolN :ike:
7: Livewire :falcon:

Doubles!: $10 entry fee ($5 per member)

1: Team Katy Perry (Haze + Knuckles) ($30.00)

2: OBESE BREAKFAST (PND + MALCORE) ($15.00)

3: We challenge you to Street Fighter instead! (Zylem + SolN) ($5.00)

4: Robosexuals (Buenob + Livewire)

5: Fruity Puffs (Jiggernaut + Linkshot)

6: Team Too Sober To Win (Perky + Jill@)

Singles: $5 entry

1: TIE Buenob ($22.50) :rob:
1: TIE Knuckles ($22.50) :metaknight: / :dedede:
3: SolN ($5.00) :marth:
4: Linkshot :lucario:
5: Haze :diddy: / :snake: / :popo:
5: PND :snake: / :wario:
7: Zylem :dk2:
7: Jiggernaut :jigglypuff:
9: Livewire :marth:
9: MALCORE :dedede: / :falco:

PND

Smash Champion
SHOUTOUTS TIME!!

Buenob - So glad to see you out again, congrats on the first. Your ROB is as beast as ever. Once I'm back in Ottawa we definitely need to chill more.
Knuckles - Congrats on first in doubles and the first place tie in singles. Thanks again for transporting so many people.
SolN - Wow, **** you're back. Seriously, you're a first place contender again. The age of Orlando is upon us.
Linkshot - You're definitely the master of stages. I notice that when we host with a wider stage roster you always do better. Ergo a lot of these stages definitely do require skill to win on, and your practice and knowledge definitely show that. Big thanks to your parents for taking back Mal and Ariel. I got WTF wrecked by the mechanics not giving me my car back.
Haze - Thanks for coming out man, and chilling with the Kingston peeps while I was off being a corporate stooge. I still haven't found your sweater, but I'll keep my eyes open for it.
Zylem - BOWSER IS TOO GOOD. BAN BOWSER. j/k, thanks for coming out. Want me to talk to that cute brunette at the pizza place for you? :p
Jiggernaut - Thanks for coming out and shooting zombies with me. We definitely had some wicked coordination going. Were your parents mad about the ride or anything? I feel really sorry for what happened.
Livewire - Man, the tourney couldn't have happened without you. Thank you SO, SO, SO much.
MALCORE - Awesome seeing you again, you're probably gonna have some weird messages on your voicemail from me while I was trying to find you. :laugh: Sweet teaming with you, would team again.
Jill@ - You are the single greatest smash commentator ever. You are coming to all of our big tourneys from now on. You'll be a star.
Perky - Lawl, you'll never read this. Great hanging out with you, hard lemonade was fantastic.

EVERYONE - Thanks for coming out! I had a blast and it was great seeing all of you again.

Linkshot

Smash Hero
PND - Thanks a bunch for hosting. On the way home, us three just discussed Pokemon. Was legit. Also, epic burgers. Really looking forward to having you here in Ottawa again!
Buenob - Next time you don't ban Green Greens, I am going to take you there and I won't let you change your bans! No johns! Good show for first, though. Sorry you had to leave so soon.
Nukls - I feel bad for getting the bye on you. I hope your sleep was worth it, though! I also didn't get to play your MK Q.Q
SoLN - You are still a champ among Ottawa. I will beat you someday!
Haze - Tight set in Doubles, but we didn't get to play in Singles. Sucks :/
Zylem - Ganoncide johns and all. We didn't get to play in Singles, which is balls. It's fun to talk about Pokemon with you, though, and sorry for falling asleep last night before getting on PO. I was wiped out.
Hitler PopJiggerly Puff - We did better than the records show in doubles. Thanks for that, but count your jumps next time! :p Also, L4D was pretty luls. **** Coach. Sunday overall was a blast.
Livewire - You have DEFINITELY improved, though you still have more to go. It sucks that L4D only supports 2 per Xbox, though it's really for the best. Wish you could've been around for the Killer Instinct in the morning!
MALCORE - Great to see you and talk about Pokemon with you, too. You were amazing in doubles. You're great to hang out with (must be the Nova Scotian blood!), and congrats on 2nd in doubles.
Jill@ - You really do have to commentate on a regular basis. It's so much fun, especially if we could get it recorded. Sorry for thrashing you in friendlies so hard; I needed to warm up on showing no mercy.
Perky - You're also a great co-commentator for Jill. I'm sorry that I don't really drink or do the cool stuff in general, and also for your thrashing in friendlies, too.

SoLn

Smash Apprentice
PND - Thanks so much for putting this together and letting us stay at your place. It was an awesome event. Those were honestly some of the best burgers ive had. Looking forward to having you back in Ottawa.
Buenob - Good to see you again. GGs and congrats on 1st. We need to play more :).
Knuckles - Congrats on first as well. Really good matches with you in losers finals. Thanks for the ride back.
SolN - learn to counter pick :p
Linkshot - GGs. Its scary playing you with a wider selection of stages. Your ness is pretty beastly. Congrates on low tiers.
Haze - GGs. Nice to see you again.
Zylem - GGs. We made a pretty good team. I think we started out a little rough but got better towards the end. HDR was too good. I need to pick up Zangief hes just to good.
Jiggernaut - GGs. Remember that rest is the best way to dodge a forward smash :)
Livewire - GGs. Thanks for picking all of us up!
MALCORE - GGs. Your Mario wrecked me.
Jill and Hannah - GGs. Your trash talking is top tier.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
PND: Thanks for hosting everything, man. Sucks to hear about your car, but glad the ride situation got worked out. Oh, and the Low Tiers stuff was hilarious. Most Falcon PAUNCH's ever.
Buenob: You're still beast man, nice doubles stuff we had going, and sorry I was a bit out of practice.
Linkshot: Your Lucario's still got it, and there's something amusing about Port Town. Too bad I missed the KI stuff.
Zylem: Good to see you again with the Honky Kong and the Bowser. Bowser is so top tier now, lol.
SolN: Was awesome seeing you come out, your Marth still owns, and seeing you play/playing you always helps me notice a couple of things I didn't before.
Jiggernaut: Your Jiggs dittos with PND were epic. Oh, and Left 4 Dead is always fun.
MALCORE: Was nice to meet you, even though I'm not sure we played much.
Haze: Good seeing ya again for this.
Knuckles: Was nice seeing you come out. Saw you had some pretty good matches with your MK.

acjamn2

Smash Rookie
AWW MAN! I haven't checked this page in a couple of months and I check back and I missed a tournament.... CRAP!

PND

Smash Champion
Don't worry, the biggest news of the night is that I'm moving back into Ottawa for September and we're going to be hosting regular biweeklies again. :bee:

Divine_Haze

Smash Journeyman
Alright, since DEAD THREAD IS DEAD, I've decided to spring some news for everyone!

Friday, September 10th will be the first Bi-weekly hosted by the awesome folks of 21 hogan street, UNIT 9!
That's us!

Please RSVP to the event ASAP, so we know how many people to expect. I hope a lot of you will show up, and I hope you all bring your 'A'game ;)

This will be the first of many events at the house. Hopefully we can get the Ottawa Smash Scene up and running again!

Linkshot

Smash Hero
BUMP

Alright guys, I have a very serious idea that we should try in the event of timeouts at the biweeklies.

If the game goes to sudden death after the time runs out, ignore the results.
Set the game mode to a 2-minute Coin Match
Play it out.
The winner of this match has the game handed to them.

Benefits of Coin Match over a Ledgegrab Limit
- MK can still avoid LGLs due to his superior recovery
- Planking a Coin Match will make you lose, due to you ending up batting your opponent away and him picking up his own coins and taking the lead.
- As a result, Coin Match forces combat to take place.

Your thoughts?

Top Bottom