• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ottawa Bi-weeklies, because illegal gambling is perfectly legal

The_Jiggernaut

Smash Ace
Oh, good to see it in full. So, are there many differences between this ruleset and the last one? Besides the stages and the ganon/bowser suicide rule, I mean?

Port town is in? Sweet! This might add some awesome to jiggs, eh Mike? We can totally kill everyone by.... Oh wait. I'm not going to say.

And I agree totally with 1-2-1-2. The other way is silly.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
It's not really a big deal what the ruleset is. Just excuse me if I have a couple of dumb moments and forget things about it since I feel like haven't played Smash in forever.

PND

Smash Champion
Port town is in? Sweet! This might add some awesome to jiggs, eh Mike? We can totally kill everyone by.... Oh wait. I'm not going to say.
I know exactly what you're talking about. And it's devious and amazing, and I support it 100%.

Port Town is a great stage for Jiggs. . . if you can avoid getting hit by the cars. They'll probably kill us around 15%

PND

Smash Champion
Ringing phone into Potemkin PAUNCH was legit the best GG combo ever.

Speaking of PAUNCH, for those of us who don't drink booze I will be supplying
FAAALCON
Punch. Does anyone have any food based requests? Any vegetarians, vegans, etcetera?

Linkshot

Smash Hero
Black Bull kills Jiggs around 25% iirc, and Twin Noritta kills her around 40%
So you're safe.

Are Pipes/Ship going to be legal?

Also excuse me if I suck I've only been playing Minus for the past month.
On that note, excuse me if I get bored at the game :p

Tin Man

Smash Hero
  1. I don't drink alcohol (Only been tipsy once by accident (took a lil more than i thought i could handle), never been drunk, plan to be drunk one day, but not this day). My favorite drink is Canada Dry (just saying... :p)
  2. I like the stage striking system of 1221 because the guy who strikes 1st picks the 1st stage. I don't really mind either way, I think they are both great.
  3. This tourney better have 9 neutrals, I'm serious, with characters like Falco, ICs, and Diddy getting a guaranteed CP game 1, more neutrals is the way to go.
  4. My recommended stage list would be:

Starter:

• Battlefield
    • Yoshi's Island
    • Smashville
    • Lylat Cruise
    • Pokémon Stadium
    • Final Destination
    • Castle Siege
    • Delfino Plaza
    • Halberd

Counterpick:

• Frigate Orpheon
    • Luigi's Mansion
    • Pokémon Stadium 2
    • Port Town Aero Dive
    • Distant Planet
    • Pictochat
    • Jungle Japes
    • Rainbow Cruise
    • Green Greens
    • Brinstar

If Norfair is also allowed, I probably wont beat Knuckles (lol :p)

KnucklesTheEchidna

Smash Apprentice
i will definately be at the BrawlBQ. I can offer a couple of people rides from the city. PM me if you are interested...

How many neutrals are we using? And with all those counterpicks do we get 2 stage bans or anything? and lol at luigis mansion being legal again, I am psyched.

Tin are you coming for real?? I challenge you to a money match!

Bosak I figure you'll want some practice before the 14 so get a hold of me when you have some time off
PLEASE COME PLAY ME, IM RUSTY AND DONT WANT TIN MAN TO TAKE ALL MY MONEY

PND

Smash Champion
Gimme a shout. You guys are welcome to come down as early as Thursday if you want to get hella practice in. I'm also free all day Sunday (8th) and Wednesday (11th)

We're def getting 2 bans with that huge stagelist. I'm debating upping that to 3 stage bans :s thoughts?

Oh, events are to be determined by participation. Right now I'm shooting for Brawl Sings and Dubs, Melee Sings and Dubs. .. but that can change depending on how many melee / brawl peeps show up. If there's not enough for Melee we can throw in some crews, low tiers, smash 64. I have no problems going late if you guys don't.

EDIT: Has anyone heard from Ben recently? I tried texting him a while ago but never got a response. I really hope he can make it. If you guys see him on MSN or something, could you make sure he knows about this? It's just not a tourney without Ben there

Linkshot

Smash Hero
It really isn't without Ben :<

Also I'm extremely rusty at vBrawl and will need a lot of warming up beforehand if I want to participate in the tourney.
Unless we have a Minus tourney. I do have a beta build at the moment and they would LOVE that to get some testing in a tourney environment

I think I can bring a couple large snack bags. Maybe my Wii+TV.

Tin Man

Smash Hero
I added Luigi's mansion to the stage list i created. **** Norfair (LOL).

@Stage Bans: Ok 1 stage ban is what the rule set allows. I'm down for 2 bans (anything to help me win lol). Let's make this official. 1 stage ban, and then we will allow a GENTELMEN'S RULE which states that a player can ban an additional stage. This way it is official in the sense that the player gets to choose what stage he wants to cp and he just respects the request of his opponent (although this is to be secretly enforced :p. A person can choose not ban 2, 1, or 0 stages, but if 2 stages are banned, the other player must respect his opponents request :p). This way we are still following rule set 3.0 while enforcing a 2 stage ban rule. 3 bans is ridiculous imo.

@Knuckles: The plan is for me to come to Ottawa. I need parental permission which i will start working on after this post. I think us MMing wouldn't be ideal since well will more than likely meet in winner finals and then again i grand finals. I want you well prepared for this tourney, cause if I do come, I wanna play you at ur best :).

Tin Man

Smash Hero
Status update. I arranged it with my mom and I have the weekends in my favor :D. The only thing I need now is parental permission. This will be the hardest thing to get. Imma talk to my dad 1st cause he is softer. Man I wish yall did something earlier. its about time I get to organize a trip and come see yall.

PND

Smash Champion
:) :) :) :)

10 :)'s

EDIT: For stage bans, I think two is pretty solid. But maybe it's because I'm tired, but I thought of a weird rule.

You have 3 BANHAMMER points. Banning a starter stage takes 2 BANHAMMER points, banning a counter only takes 1 BANHAMMER point.

Ergo, if you were playing a Falco you could BANHAMMER Final D AND Japes, but not Final D AND Battlefield. Or, you could BANANA Japes, Luigi's Mansion, and Rainbow Cruise -- but you've left all the starters intact. It's just a random thought, I think we'll go with the 2 bans idea for the srs bizness, but maybe for lulz in low tiers or something we can use this.

The_Jiggernaut

Smash Ace
I think we should do the gentleman's rule thing to keep the tourney legit so Ankoku points may be given. Ottawa has been doing 2 bans for a while, so most likely everyone will do it.

Speaking of which, what will the entrance fee be, if any?

Oh, and has anyone had more contact with Ariel? He said he couldn't go, but to the weekend of the 7th. Can he go this time? And what about Randy and Derek? Do they know about any of this? In fact, there are probably a bunch of people out of the loop...

Edit: Btw, great to hear you will probably be coming, Tin Man.

PND

Smash Champion
No entrance fee.

Srs bizness main event Brawl
$5 for singles
$10 for doubles ($5 each per member)

Lulz events (low tier etc)
$1 for singles
$2 for doubles ($1 each)

The_Jiggernaut

Smash Ace
K, that answers my question. I didn't think there was a venue fee, but I thought we'd be putting a pot together.

Divine_Haze

Smash Journeyman
I added Luigi's mansion to the stage list i created. **** Norfair (LOL).

@Stage Bans: Ok 1 stage ban is what the rule set allows. I'm down for 2 bans (anything to help me win lol). Let's make this official. 1 stage ban, and then we will allow a GENTELMEN'S RULE which states that a player can ban an additional stage. This way it is official in the sense that the player gets to choose what stage he wants to cp and he just respects the request of his opponent (although this is to be secretly enforced :p. A person can choose not ban 2, 1, or 0 stages, but if 2 stages are banned, the other player must respect his opponents request :p). This way we are still following rule set 3.0 while enforcing a 2 stage ban rule. 3 bans is ridiculous imo.

@Knuckles: The plan is for me to come to Ottawa. I need parental permission which i will start working on after this post. I think us MMing wouldn't be ideal since well will more than likely meet in winner finals and then again i grand finals. I want you well prepared for this tourney, cause if I do come, I wanna play you at ur best :).
Oh Tin, you may THINK you'll meet in winners/grand finals... but I have a feeling you'll be in for a pretty hard set if you face either myself, knuckles, PND or buenob. After all, since it's in Ottawa (ish...) we have home field advantage :p

I Effing hope you make it!

The_Jiggernaut

Smash Ace
I usually see Ariel on MSN a lot, so I can ask him and see what the case might be to find out if he can come down.
Cool, then. I'll give Randy a text and tell him to contact Derek about it. I know Cam is away, but idk how long, but I don't think he'd really want to go.

Is Dave coming to this, btw?

Linkshot

Smash Hero
Well I think that's how I was playing against Bryant in Montreal, but my memory is foggy as usual.
All I remember is it went to Game 3, Last Stock, Last Hit, and he got a Shuttle Loop :<.
5-and-a-half minutes on Delfino.

KnucklesTheEchidna

Smash Apprentice
Dave is in BC...
i miss dave
so no.

And there are alot of people in ottawa that will give Tinman a run for his money(if they still play brawl), especially because we are no stranger to ROB...

Tinman sounds like you're afraid of that money match? It could help you fund travel expenses.

And yeah we should try to get a hold of everybody cause alot of us(me too until the past 2 days) stopped frequenting the boards.

Edit: Alan: yes you were at your best for that set. And it was a bulslhit shuttle loop on a delfino walk off. You were only at 80% or so i believe. I find you generally play very well against me, you should do it all the time.

Linkshot

Smash Hero
I was at something like 150 and DI'd down because I was trying to poke you with a dTilt, lawl.

I think you were at 110. Could've been the other way around, though.

PND

Smash Champion
Okay, so I'll probably have a car for the 14th. Which means I can run into the city and pick up 4 people. I'm gonna say Bayshore is a great meeting place because it's easy as **** for me to get to.

And Bryant can drive some people. And Tyler said he can drive some people one way, too, I don't know if that still stands.

So basically no ride johns allowed.

Top Bottom