• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Organization and Approval of Codes

KishSquared

Smash Master
I don't know if I'm the only one, but I'm starting to see a logistical nightmare developing. We have people tossing out ideas for buffs, nerfs, move modifiers, gravity changes, animation alterations... people are even posting lists of 20 changes they want to see in a single post.

This kind of participation is excellent, but right now a lot of good suggestions are never heard or forgotten. Conversely, a lot of values tossed out by people are accepted as gospel and implemented in the codeset without question. I'm not sure how things are being decided, or even if they're being decided other than by whoever puts together the next codelist.

I'd like to know if anyone has any thoughts or suggestions on how to improve this process. I'd really like to see some kind of formal approval process for a suggested code or a modified value. Or at least some kind of vote that can take place to determine what should or should not be included in the next codeset. Maybe we could create a subforum for voting topics for any changes that need to be made to the codelist.

I want to stress that I'm not upset with how things are run right now, but just that they could be significantly improved. I feel like I don't know who's deciding what codes get implemented, and I can't even always follow what codes get looked at by the ones who make decisions. I don't even know how to make suggestions since sometimes a post will get buried in a thread within hours of being posted.

D

Deleted member

well you could start a thread where people could just dump their ideas (with argumentation ofcourse) and then put all the suggestions in the OP, sorted by character. this way people can easily see what has been suggested already, and can make better suggestions about those.

another option is also to focus on one aspect/character each week.

KishSquared

Smash Master
A suggestion thread is a good idea, as long as care is taken to document every suggestion. Maybe a good way to do it would be to mark which ones have been seconded and such.

Almas

Smash Lord
You know what, this is a good idea. Here's my proposal:

We work on two characters at a time, starting from the top and bottom of the Brawl tier list and working towards each other. Of course the tier list isn't still accurate, but it seems a more interesting way to go through the list and we're probably more likely to spread our interests amongst our characters this way.

On each character, we discuss the following:

Their strengths and weaknesses, and whether they are key features of the character or need to be modified
How to ensure they are tournament viable with the current codes available
Roughly how they would be made tournament viable if we had all desired codes available

The results of each character's discussion is put into one thread with only the most core information (and a link to the original thread), which is then stickied on this board.

Of course, I'd prefer if someone else took the initiative on this one, but I will if noone else does.

kupo15

Smash Hero
That's a good idea but maybe it would be best to from bottom to top? The top tier are usually pretty good right now and the lower tiers most likely will need a little more help and probably have the most obvious buffs. Falcon should be an easy knockout for example. I'd rather not manage two threads and school is really crazy right now. I'll have to pass the op to make the thread. Maybe you should turn this thread into it

I think we should start with falcon xD

KishSquared

Smash Master
I think it'd be best to start conversations for each individual character, and two at a time would be good but would take 4 months if we take a week for each one. Maybe we should try to cut that in half and do 4 at a time? Maybe 2 from top tier, 2 from bottom?

I'll volunteer to run and manage the threads.

kupo15

Smash Hero
I think it'd be best to start conversations for each individual character, and two at a time would be good but would take 4 months if we take a week for each one. Maybe we should try to cut that in half and do 4 at a time? Maybe 2 from top tier, 2 from bottom?

I'll volunteer to run and manage the threads.
I agree. I support you for being in charge and for 2 from top tier and 2 from bottom. Lets begin!

KishSquared

Smash Master
Sure. I can't help but feel things are gonna get really cluttered in here, though =/
Good call. Almas, what are the odds we can create a subforum for character discussions? I can make the threads for now, and we can move them over there afterward.

I'll make the first four in the morning, it's late now :( I'll use the SBR tier list as a guide, starting with MK/Snake and Falcon... Ganon?

http://super-smash-bros.wikia.com/wiki/Tier_list

Osi

Smash Ace
This sounds like an amazing way to organize it! Having 4 at a time will keep it moving at a nice week to week pace also. It's a bit funny that we would be starting with MK/Snake/ganon/falcon as MK is without a doubt the most voiced character people would like to nerf, and falcon is pretty well dialed in at this point. The first week will be a nice showcase for this format.

Oh, and congrats on the mod status almas! Glad you got that, I wasn't on to second the nomination at the time hehe.

Almas

Smash Lord
Sounds awesome to me. What's wrong with letting them drop to the bottom of this board, though?

I would recommend you refer to: The Invision Brawlplusery board, and copy some of the suggestions people have given for discussion here.

shanus

Smash Hero
Call me crazy, but i think its fairly obvious which characters are lacking in Brawl+ right now. Although heading with the SBR tier list seems nice, wouldnt it be better to try and look at the really hurting characters first?

I.e.
Samus
Bowser
Ivysaur
Link (he is pretty awesome now though)

Doesn't matter to me, but I'm all for helping these fellas out first as they just don't really stand a chance right now.

KishSquared

Smash Master
Sounds awesome to me. What's wrong with letting them drop to the bottom of this board, though?

I would recommend you refer to: The Invision Brawlplusery board, and copy some of the suggestions people have given for discussion here.
Letting them drop isn't a problem, but each week there will be 4 active threads and potential discussion in old ones. We might as well keep the clutter out of the main forum. Your call though!

The SBR tier list is the only tier list we have right now, and we'll get to all characters eventually anyway, so we might as well start somewhere.

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
You know... if you haven't noticed already, most of the characters who are bad in brawl+ now were also low tier in brawl. After this week, I think we should just go from the bottom up, because for the most part, those who were high in brawl are still pretty good. In some cases, too good. *cough*mk*cough*

And I completely disagree with just letting these threads clog up this forum. It won't be long before all you can see on the page are character discussion threads.

Almas

Smash Lord
Okay, I'm talking to JV later this week, I'll ask for another sub-board to archive things in.

Should I request that this sub-board be made visible to the public? It would grant insight on the decision making process. I'd have to enforce not creating 300 threads to discuss what we say, though.

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
Hm... that might be a good idea, actually. We'd want to keep this main board hidden for obvious reasons, but it might be nice to let people in on our discussions about how we're balancing the characters. The only problem with that is... well, as you stated, people are going to be making comments on the main forum about what we're talking about in there. It could get messy. So... I'm a little on the fence with this one.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
yea i dont think the board should be viewable by the public. ppl will be commenting on it waaay too much in the regular boards

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
when will new boards be up for the rest of the characters? since ppl are constantly testing it out theres no reason they should have to hold their thoughts. just make a sub forum for character discussion, have a thread for each character, and make it so no one can make new threads in that subforum, then when we have thoughts about a character, we post it there.

KishSquared

Smash Master
Actually, I feel like a bum, but I think I need to pass this off to someone else. I've not been able to be active enough on the boards to put in the time necessary to keep the OCDs rolling out.

Is anyone else willing to take on this role?

Top Bottom