• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Oregon Smash Community [OSC] - Oregon's official Smash Community est. 2005

Jem.

Smash Master
You mean Gameclucks?
We're trying to get a lot of people. We usually get around 30 without OOSers.
And Alaska is staying in Washington, then the three of them are attending Gameclucks on August 11th if I'm not mistaken. Canada's top 5 might be coming. It is Gimpy's last time in Washington, so it will be something special.

Rage.

Smash Ace
You mean Gameclucks?
We're trying to get a lot of people. We usually get around 30 without OOSers.
And Alaska is staying in Washington, then the three of them are attending Gameclucks on August 11th if I'm not mistaken. Canada's top 5 might be coming. It is Gimpy's last time in Washington, so it will be something special.
Yeah that one
I want to go but I need a ride.

Jem.

Smash Master
Well, hopefully you find one. Could be the biggest Gameclucks EVAR. And we usually generate a good amount as it is. But I don't want to hype it up TOO much if you have to like, get a loan to get here or something >_>

Binx

Smash Master
I probably wont make it to that but I am pretty sure that Empire games is going to exist this month which should be fun.

Kevvviiinnn

Smash Lord
if anyone wants to hold some sort of smashfest or something this weekend i'm definitely in (as long as it's around the sherwood/portland area)

if there'll be any activity of this sort, give me a heads up.

cmin

Smash Ace
joshisrad, we should all definnately gather at your house, it makes a great venue

T0MMY

Smash Master
Well, hopefully you find one. Could be the biggest Gameclucks EVAR. And we usually generate a good amount as it is. But I don't want to hype it up TOO much if you have to like, get a loan to get here or something >_>
I hope they gave you my library card they forgot to return to me.
Of course, I'm quite sure they didn't. :mad:

joshisrad

Smash Lord
I get the most ****ing ******** questions ever.

When turning through a bicycle lane on the right, which of the following is true?
A) Bicyclists will have the right of way.
B) You must yield right of way to the bicyclist.

Yeah ****ing right, DMV.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
The results of the Ranking Tournament is up on page 1. Out of staters are excluded in this list.

Edit:
Realistically speaking, Juce and Aftermath should be up near Balloon. Foos and Buzz didn't play enough matches, so I couldn't give them a rank.

Tudios, t0mmy, Jesse, you need to play a ranking match with me.

joshisrad

Smash Lord
Edit:
Realistically speaking, Juce and Aftermath should be up near Balloon. Foos and Buzz didn't play enough matches, so I couldn't give them a rank.
Which is why I find the idea silly. But I can understand why you'd want to strive to have an (impossibly) accurate one.

joshisrad

Smash Lord
Minh, call me if you want to get something going today. Anyone else that wants in too. If you don't have my number, get on AIM and message "joshgoesmobile"

brdy_

Smash Lord
Timmy: I told you I want to be on your PR if you make one, but you can take me off if you'd like if I make it onto the Washington PR.

EDIT: I think we should make an actual PR, btw.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
I don't think we're going to have an official PR, if only because it requires a panel of qualified smashers to maintain and update it, which no one wants to do. I do have an interesting idea, though:

We can carry these results over to every tournament in Oregon, and when you see someone who is on the list, you can challenge them to a Ranking Match. The Wins/Losses will overwrite the previous Wins/Losses, thus creating a dynamic ranking list. (The rules stay the same: 2 games, each person chooses a neutral stage and character - double blind if necessary).

Obviously you can only challenge someone to a Ranking Match once each tournament.

Rage.

Smash Ace
What does it mean to be a qualified smasher to maintain Power Rankings?

I think we should have an official PR.
but I do like your Idea T!mmy
If we did have an official PR I would volenteer to be on the panel of smashers.

Binx

Smash Master
I dont like the idea of playing ranking matches at every tournament, besides this would give certain people advantages (IE: people who can consistently attend tournies)

EDIT - Digital Watchs, check phanna chart Shiek has a better match up than Zelda vs EVERY character so =P

Also fox and falco are some of Zelda's worst match ups, way way worse than shiek

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
I dont like the idea of playing ranking matches at every tournament, besides this would give certain people advantages (IE: people who can consistently attend tournies)
The only advantage they would have would be that they improve more than those who don't attend tournies so that they can update their win/loss records over time.

Binx

Smash Master
That isnt neccesarily true, just because someone goes to more tournaments does not make them a better player (IE: MCS Chris). I just dont like how much time it takes to do a ranking match, it would basically just cause all the inbetween match rest to be plagued with ranking battles. You could do it based on consistent tournemt placing, but as far as strait ranking battles go I dont think its a good indication of skill.

EDIT: also I beleive this would slow down most tournaments because of people doing ranking battles in between matches and taking up TVs, it took 8 hours to do the ranking battles with 30 people so you need to take into account that most people arent going to hang around venues for that long during or even after a tournament on a regular enough basis for this to be even remotely accurate.

Aftermath

Smash Champion
Timmy, the problem with doing something like that is that then you're only ranking how well we do against people in state. The way the NorCal rankings are done, which I think is the smartest way, is that it takes into account all the instate things, like tournaments, who beat who in whatever, but then the panelist also factors in how well the people would do against OOS people, and that plays a significant role. They said that they did this because a PR shouldn't just be for that state to acknowledge, as that state probably already knows who is best and whatnot, but for OOS coming to that state to get a general idea of how well they'd do against those people that they have no experience against.

So yeah, that's the only problem with the ranking battle thing, because you just have the same people playing the same people over and over.

Binx, it wouldn't slow down tournaments if you kicked the people off the TVs as you would during friendlies. It would also only take 2 matches, when a lot of the time friendlies are done winner stays in, and you play 2 of 3 sets, which can go to 3rd match sometimes.

Also, people can turn down ranking matches, as they can to friendlies or money matches.

The real advantage of it is to give the people who are bad a chance at ranking battling their way up the rankings, or at least having the rankings large enough to semi-accurately include everyone.

Either way, Oregon shouldn't really have a PR list. It'd only be like top 8 or something, because it gets too fuzzy after that. Also, our state plays eachother about every tournaments, so it's not like there are region gaps to account for, nor do we play OOSers often.

Aftermath

Smash Champion
I'm pretty sure that the only thing that encourages people to get better is to get good enough to where Jesse and I think they don't suck. At least in Portland and for Bart.

Balloon

Smash Lord
I disagree with that statement James. Not the part about me, but the first part. I don't think people care that much if you think they suck or not. I don't know for sure whether a PR would encourage players to improve, but I don't think it's completely not worth trying.

Digital Watches

Smash Ace
Player improvement is a weird thing, so don't take this as me thinking my opinion is fact or anything, but like... in this and other games, it seems like there are two kinds of players: Ones who actually want to get better, and ones who want to be thought of as better. Then there's a third category of people for whom high-level gaming in general just doesn't really appeal to.

The second category can get decent I guess, but are for the most part a lost cause: They'll play until they feel like they can't win anymore, and then they'll just not bother at that point. There are precious few of the first category, who improve for the sake of actually being better, and I think those are the only players with potential. Luckily, there's a disporportionate amount of these at actual tournaments and such, since these are the least liable to quit early. Of course, randoms from the third category come up occasionally I guess, but usually will only show up to one or two events, since they don't actually want to play the game at a high level for any reason. I think a lot of players, however, are kind of a mix between the first two categories. There's only a certain point to which they're self-motivated, and beyond that, they want something tangible, like money or reputation. I think it's that kind of player that power rankings might help improve, but it's a long shot, seriously.

Aftermath

Smash Champion
That post was pretty much a joke Bart. It's just funny that people in Oregon ask Jesse and I if they've gotten better a lot, or at least if we go to their house or something, and I remember you getting frustrated a while back that we didn't give you credit for anything.

cmin

Smash Ace
i think the PR should go to who OC george thinks is good or not. after all.. hes better than all of us. and even taught mcs to play

Balloon

Smash Lord
That post was pretty much a joke Bart. It's just funny that people in Oregon ask Jesse and I if they've gotten better a lot, or at least if we go to their house or something, and I remember you getting frustrated a while back that we didn't give you credit for anything.
No, I know it was a joke, but I was also admitting to that exact thing. It was frustrating when you guys wouldn't give me credit for a long time.

Anyway, you never did the shoutouts you said you were gonna do after eating xD.

T0MMY

Smash Master
To make things easier about the PR List:
It's already on OSM.
I'm sure it will eventually find its own page and a place on Smash Wiki as well.

Having a list is a good thing because it gets more players to play more frequently, and more attendance and more playing is what Oregon needs. The only reason I can see why people don't want one is because it doesn't reflect players very well. And nothing really does, but a PR List is what gives a region credibility in the Smash Community, so that doesn't have much impact on this.

t1mmy should determine the Panelists because he's the one who's done practically everything for the PR list right now.
The Panelists should not have any say on who places where on the list, they should be there to record the data.

Here is how it should go:

At a tournament where there is at least one Panelist in attendance, the players who wish to have the PR Match data recorded should get the Panelist to watch the match and record the data to be posted here. The PR list would then be updated.

The OoS factor doesn't apply very well to the PR List because not very many players in OR play outside of OR, and rarely do OoS Smashers play in OR. But, we could somehow incorporate that into the data we collect with the in-state data. Something tells me it won't have much significance to the List either way, but we should keep it in mind.
Obviously nobody has ever come to OR looking to play the best player and only the best player. They post and say they're coming to OR and looking to play Smash and then they play whoever and from there they determine who is more skilled/friendlier/has better smelling breath.

joshisrad

Smash Lord
Haha, that reminds me of when my friend Bill and I used to have the whole "you wanna try?" line XD
(@ james' post about improvement)

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
My previous post got lost when my computer crashed, so I'm just going to say:

A Power Ranking would give people motivation to improve and challenge others since there's a visable goal to work toward. Top 8 would probably be enough for an Oregon PR list. But I think the Ranking Tournament list is fine for now, and any PR list would just be a modified version of it (like moving James up to #2 or #3 - OC George being best in Oregon of course).

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
so are you guys going to gameclucks on the 11th or what?

it'll be my last wa tourney until well after brawl comes out because i'm going to socal for college!

YOU BETTA GO!

Binx

Smash Master
Wish I could play you Gimpy, I dont think I am going to be able to make it there though. =( good luck master of bowser.

Jem.

Smash Master
Problems in Oregon? Uh ohz. But, if Aftermath doesn't have to sandbag you're good XD.
I don't want to read it all, if it's over who got what spot on PR, consider their skill level versus Oregon, how they did/would do OOS (You can us WA/Alaska for examples I guess..) And how you all do versus each other, who knocks who out in tournaments, ect.

Top Bottom