• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Oregon Smash Community [OSC] - Oregon's official Smash Community est. 2005

joshisrad

Smash Lord
nah, Josh&meeh were lookin @ a possibel house 4 next school year. we tried calling samz around 3 to see if it was still going on, but no answer~ DDDDDDD: We'll be at the next one though.

Eggz

Smash Hero
Errr way to pick apart my failed spelling of one word and completely overlook the fact that it isn't my fault you guys don't know me at all and assumed that something I clearly disagree with was posted seriously. Get it? You are ********?

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
aren't you guys supposed to be talking about the yoshi crew instead of debating what irony is and how to classify sarcasm?

i'm pretty sure the prefix "BECAUSE" isn't required for sarcasm BECAUSE that doesn't make any sense and isn't helpful to figuring out sarcasm in any way.
not sarcasm.

Binx

Smash Master
I agree with Gimpy, there is no required word to indicate sarcasm alot of it is in the way it is said, for example right and Riiiiight have two different meanings usually. One is mocking and the other is not.

But yeah I say we should all get back to thrashing the Yoshi's so that maybe they will show up for the next tournament. I wonder if they know how much better the prizes are for our tournaments than the "real game store tournaments" they usually attend.

joshisrad

Smash Lord
Don't blow this out of proportion. Never once did I claim that "because" is the universal sarcasm indicator. It's completely situational, obviously. In that scenario, it was the best option to distinguish between ****ing around and sarcasm. I can post something that I clearly don't agree with too, but that doesn't make it sarcastic. It's just ****ing around. The person at fault is the one delivering the message. Essays have been written on this. It's not a new or challenging concept.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
feel free to show me one of those essays if you'd like to actually prove something, bringing up random essays is an interesting concept i suppose... anyways

are you seriously saying shane is at fault for saying something CLEARLY sarcastic and you not picking up on it?

lol i'm just trying to understand whats going on in here

Balloon

Smash Lord
I'm sorry, but the author of the sarcasm is never at fault, ever, unless his main goal is to get you to understand that he's being sarcastic.

Also I don't see what essays being written on the whole thing has to do with anything.

Eggz

Smash Hero
Don't blow this out of proportion. Never once did I claim that "because" is the universal sarcasm indicator. It's completely situational, obviously. In that scenario, it was the best option to distinguish between ****ing around and sarcasm. I can post something that I clearly don't agree with too, but that doesn't make it sarcastic. It's just ****ing around. The person at fault is the one delivering the message. Essays have been written on this. It's not a new or challenging concept.
Whats the difference between ****ing around and sarcasm? Either way I'm not serious. Like Gimpy said, it really isn't my fault you didn't detect obvious sarcasm.

Aftermath

Smash Champion
Errr way to pick apart my failed spelling of one word and completely overlook the fact that it isn't my fault you guys don't know me at all and assumed that something I clearly disagree with was posted seriously. Get it? You are ********?
Too bad it's an Oregon thread, not a WA one, so we don't know you at all, and from our encounters with neo-WA, don't really want to know you guys any more than we have to. Perhaps you shouldn't post in threads where no one likes you, has similar humor, or appreciates your over-defensiveness when you fail at joking.

Gimpy, what's going on is that no one in the Oregon smash community, and no one I've found thus far, actually likes neo-WA (Gimpy, you are the exception though, since everyone thinks you're a pretty chill guy) and as such, none of us really like having to read your spam and pointless arguments when you fail at humor.

Eggz

Smash Hero
Sorry Neo-WA isn't entirely composed of 30 year old men? I'm pretty sure you guys just don't like that we clown you to your face for all the bull**** that we experience at your tourneys.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
No, Josh, apparently we troll the OR threads. Nitpicking people's posts in a bombastic attempt at lingual superiority will usually result in a defensive response. You're a smart guy, I'm sure you know it's true.

Warshington, please notice that you're posting in the Oregon thread. It's difficult to glean sarcastic undertones through written media unless the author illustrates it in an over-the-top manner. Get it?

Also, I won't pretend to know exactly what's going on between OR and WA, but a certain level of animosity is apparent. I have this to say about it:

We can choose to lay blame on others and sour our relationships with them, or we can simply set it aside and display a more positive visage of ourselves for everyone. We're all smashers, and part of the larger smash community, there's no reason why we shouldn't get along.

So I want everyone to go see Doc Mario and take a chill pill.

brdy_

Smash Lord
Timmy, that was incredibly well said and intelligent sounding. Props and mondo respect. ^_^

James is a Grumpy McGrumpster

Aftermath

Smash Champion
Timmy, that post isn't going to change anything. Some people just are douches and some aren't. Most of neo-WA is and some of Oregon is. We don't like those players and get along fine as long as they aren't intruding in our thread trying to be friends, as they just make things worse. Just like with the Oregon smashers, we tolerate them at tournaments and ignore them for the most part on the boards, since Oregon isn't as spam happy as WA, so it's possible. They take the game way more serious than us, can't enjoy themselves at tournaments, and aren't easy to get along with. It's the way it's been since neo-WA started playing and got super cocky for some reason.

EDIT** Hopefully no one thinks this is only my opinion and that I'm just bitter about something. This is pretty much the opinion of just about every tournament-attending Oregonian when we bring up the subject. For how often you use "Get it?" you guys rarely do apparently.

Aftermath

Smash Champion
One bad thing about having TANGs in Portland is that we probably can't go to The House of Good Fortune or anywhere after the tournament.

Olive Garden is good too.

T0MMY

Smash Master
Laugh at everyone's posts except !'s.
The only Oregon player who gives me a good challenge is Mystery Chris, no Pichu sleeping for him.

I hope to see all the Yoshi players at SF:E, especially the big one in july where every good OR player will be.

YoshiBro002

Smash Rookie
We are totally going to try to make it to SF:E, hopefully you can se us owning then. until then we will try to make it to some other thingz. just let us know if anyone is getting a smash thing together anytime soon.

Peach Masta

Smash Lord
We shall see and I would like to come but if it was during that timeframe I couldn't have gone but if it isn't things look brighter for my crew and I to come.

Top Bottom