• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Oregon Smash Community [OSC] - Oregon's official Smash Community est. 2005

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Unfortunately, no. SF:E vids are, though. ^_^
If you're going to be at TANG you might be able to watch the crew battle on Jesse's computer if you ask really nicely and give him $60.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Anyway, maybe if the SOregon area gets some sort of regular tournament running we could split tournaments three or four ways once or twice each month?
I second the motion. A more organized schedule of events would make things work much smoother for us tournament organizers, and in turn players would have better information ahead of time to give feed back. One problem is the months where a holiday or big smash tournament takes place; it generally leaves fewer weekends available for a TANG/SF:E to take place.

August through December has been busy due to OC2, NCT2, Halloween, Thanksgiving, and the upcoming Christmas/X-mas/Hannaka/New Year's merriments. After that, people tend to go into a slump as they recouparate from the festivities, start up school/work again, and generally stay in bed during the winter season.

Because of this, I think we need to get some discussion going for the upcoming months ahead of time so we can match the amount of tournaments with the amount of prospective players wanting to attend.

Aftermath

Smash Champion
Well, splitting 3-4 ways during a month means even less attendance because everyone will just wait another week for the tournament in their area. It'll be like NorCal is now, where people are like an hour apart, but can't be bothered to travel to a tournament.

What we could do is rotate tournament schedules so that people still have things in their area, but would have to wait another month if they decide not to travel to one a couple hours away. The easiest one would be SF:E and TANG one month (as it's split regularly) and then a GP and Salem tournament the next. We should use one unified ruleset (I nominate the one I use in TANGs) and really try to get OOS involvement (WA for TANG, NorCal for GP stuffs).

But yeah, that rides on someone from Salem being able to consistently hold tournaments and someone from GP being able to do the same. Also, we should try and figure out what we'll do for holiday intensive seasons (ie. reschedule a week before/after or cancel it for that month). Ideally, we could get a tournament every 2 weeks with an attendance of at least 10 at each one.

The other thing left to do is decide prices for entry fees. I propse having TANG and GP tournaments at $10 for singles and $10 per team and the Salem and Eugene tournaments at $5 each.

T0MMY

Smash Master
I propose a new type of tourney to be introduced at the next SF:E, where you have a smaller winning pot for 1st, but the rest is parceled out to individual wins. Those few dollars won help pay for other fees like low-tier, crew, MMs, etc.
It'd be nice to see Noregon & Soregon attract the WA & Norcal guys respectively.
Also, we need to do a Noregon vs Soregon crew battle some time.

I'll add Doc Holiday, Kami, Kaze, and Digital Watches to the Competitive Smashers Index if they give me their information (post here if you will). Doc Holiday, I believe plays Falco, but I don't know his secondary.

The way I'm keeping this updated is basically if someone registers for a tournement and then they'll be given reasonable time to attend another tournement before being bumped down to the non-competitive list.

Duke

it's just duke. nothing to get worried about.
I'm posting at school, after school I'm going to be asking the administrators of my school to see if I can rent a room/gym in the school for a weekend. I am all for having a regular tourny if its ok with the school.

Also, Doc_Holidays main is falco and his secondary is Dr. Mario.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Duke, if you edit your posts after someone posts their message, leave a message about the tournament venue in your next post.

Aftermath

Smash Champion
Tommy, explain your idea further. So far it sounds like 1st loses money, and everyone who won a match gets some money. That doesn't sound like a good idea for attracting OOS.

NK, when tournaments in Grant's Pass (Like super near the OR/CA Border) NorCal should start showing up. The drive for you guys is the same as the drive for us Portlanders, so you should try to make it to some of them as well.

Riot6777

Smash Ace
Tommy, explain your idea further. So far it sounds like 1st loses money, and everyone who won a match gets some money. That doesn't sound like a good idea for attracting OOS.

NK, when tournaments in Grant's Pass (Like super near the OR/CA Border) NorCal should start showing up. The drive for you guys is the same as the drive for us Portlanders, so you should try to make it to some of them as well.
Timmy I have to agree with James. It sounds like 1st place loses

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Why are you telling me that?

Besides, I think it works well with a multi-level bracket. You do know what a multi-level bracket is, right?

Eggz

Smash Hero
To Duke: I really doubt your church will allow that. I know mine wouldn't allow a bunch of stinky, gambling, swearing gamers have a tournament. I'm certain that if the church was aware that money was involved, that alone would make them say no.

*is LDS as well*

Duke

it's just duke. nothing to get worried about.
*Waves hand like a magician*
You never said that.

Ok so I have a follow up on PPP, which is what it will be called for now, the school has a required custodial and security fee which if added to the room cost it all adds up to 60 dollars an hour.

So I decided to move the Salem Tourny to the local LDS (mormon) church. Timmy and I had an extensive conversation and we have a lot of stuff thought out already. I am planning on it being a two day thing (Low Tier singlesl and doubles the first day and Normal singles and doubles the second day) it will be held on 26 and 27 of January (A Friday and Saturday).

Rough Pricing: $2 for Low Tier (Singles) $3 for doubles (1.5 per person) and $10 for singles (normal) and $10 per team (normal). I have set a capacity of this tourny to 30 which would set the pot for singles at $150 dollars! Although they church can hold up to like 50-75. There is going to be PLENTY of room and it will surely be an AMAZING tourny.

The only thing I need to do is get permission the church (I attend the church) to see if it is ok. Other than that, I just wanted to get some feedback before I make this thing final.

Eggz

Smash Hero
I remember back in the day when I learned how to moonwalk, I was trying to do it with Mario for like two months, and then I tried it with YL, and it was like 3 miles long. But I havn't moonwalked since, so my moonwalks are garbs. T_T

T0MMY

Smash Master
The new tournement idea is not a bad idea. For further proof look at how Duke, Riot, and Aftermath all are questioning its integrity. Obviously it's a good idea.
Haha... on a serious note...

Yeah, it'd be a different kind of bracket system, multi-level. This means that if you win a match you go up a level and play everyone on that level. t!mmy was explaining it to me and it gave me and I remembered how people wouldn't want to enter because they wouldn't win. But if every win you would get money back, kind of like multiple Money Matches, then you'd have a chance to pay for your entrance fee.
I'm not sure how it'd work out, but let's say there's a $10 entrance fee and 10 people enter, making the total pot $100. Figure out how many matches there would be, let's say there'd be 50 matches, so $50 would be distributed out to all the winners, and $50 would be left to the Singles Champion (plus the winnings s/he made in his/her matches). 10 people each win maybe $5 each would be about $50 and would be covering most of their entrance fee, which could be used for Low Tier or Teams entrance fees.

Aftermath

Smash Champion
While the bracket system doesn't sound bad, the payout thing just doesn't seem that good. It means lower payouts to more people, which wouldn't attract OOS at all, nor give much motivation to place that high, since all the money is low.

I will have to talk to you about in person next time I see you (maybe this weekend if you want to go to Seattle).

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Yay, school's out this week. Now that finals are over, our schedule is open for Seattle. ^_^

Doc_Holiday

Smash Ace
Lol thanks. You guys should make some Power Rankings for Oregon & Washington combined, that would be awesome. I would help of course, but I don't know very much about it.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Oregon needs some players before we can make a Power Ranking. >_>

Doc_Holiday

Smash Ace
We have plenty of players, I guess I will just make a rough list(solely based on my opinion) tomorrow and show you all how good it will be. I'm going to bed.

joshisrad

Smash Lord
Players have Oregon!

Also, it looks as though Tommy already tried to organize the list of names in some sort of power ranking. If a power ranking is indeed what I think it is.

Doc_Holiday

Smash Ace
Well here is my rough, and when I say rough I mean ROUGH, as in totally craptacular and made by someone not qualified for the job, these are based on tourney results of TANGs that I have seen and 0C2 results. These are best 15 btw.

1. Tori
2. Gimpyfish
3. Ratking
4. Juce
5. SilentWolf
6.Aftermath
7. Dawg
8. DMStudios
9. Dirthead
10. T!Mmy
11. T0mmy
12. Master of Chu
13. Teddy
14. Keevvviiinnnn (Don't know if I did that right)
15. Riot

Again, this was a very rough list and probably should not have been done by me. Ka-Master isn't on there because I have never seen results of a TANG or Oregon tourney with him on there, but I think he should definitely be on there somewhere. There is probably a couple people who will be mad with their placings(If they even see this) But I think someone else should do it, if you guys want to.

joshisrad

Smash Lord
I was unaware Tori and SilentWolf were of Oregon.
Best leave it to Tommy. Who made the post. And who already did a power ranking. That I can see.

Top Bottom