• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Oregon Smash Community [OSC] - Oregon's official Smash Community est. 2005

Jem.

Smash Master
omfg i love good charlotte they r better than any band cuz they r more popularzzzzz

here's the thing: when you say the prime of melee, you mean competitive melee. the prime that you need to compare with brawl's current popularity is melee's popularity right after release in 01/02.

either way, brawl is a worse game than melee, easily. sakurai made sure to put effort into making brawl bad for competitive play, whereas in melee, he just made the game the best he could without moderating his ideas since competitive smash wasn't really that popular around that time.

The games tournament atmosphere kicked off in 03 as far as Im concerned, and was at its competitive prime (most people attending events) until 05-06. Most people that play today though didnt even play before 05 so you wouldnt know.

Stop saying brawl is worse, LOL. Get good at the game, it still takes skill to be good and win, as does every game. I could even argue about poker, but, there is no point in causing a flame war.

Aevin

Smash Journeyman
I've been playing Brawl extensively, and the game is fantastic. There really is no comparison.

Either way, it's the newest thing and what's likely to be played the most. Anyone who insists on not playing it is going to miss out.

Balloon

Smash Lord
yeah, they're going to miss out on a huge waste of time. instead, people who want games that take actual skill will be playing something like starcraft 2, warcraft 3, or you know, basically any game that isn't brawl.

besides, i wasn't arguing against brawl taking skill. i will say with certainty, though, that brawl is going to take far less skill. it's a shallow game, intended for players who aren't very good at games.

your arguments are really flawed, jem.

brawl is worse than melee.

i also want to say that i really really really want to be proven wrong, but i can't be until i play the game extensively. i really hope i have to eat my words.

Balloon

Smash Lord
nah.

i'll be playing warcraft 3 and starcraft, or guitar... or cello.. or basically doing anything else.

Aevin

Smash Journeyman
i also want to say that i really really really want to be proven wrong, but i can't be until i play the game extensively. i really hope i have to eat my words.
I find it admirable that you're willing to try. I hope you're able to have fun with it. It really is a beautiful game.

Climax11

Smash Ace
baby_ & alvin, while not incredibly articulant, both make good points, and the only person with a flawed argument due to contradiciting themselves here is you, mr ballgoon. if you want to say brawl sucks though, don't compare it to melee. compare it to deep sea diving, or being a jet pilot.

Aevin

Smash Journeyman
Baby and Alvin? lol, Climbaxe.

(Yeah, I'm particularly inarticulate here, for some reason.)

Balloon

Smash Lord
oh i'll play it extensively, brady, but not over spring break. maybe a bit.

actually i'll probably play it a lot, and i'll ***** that we need to play some melee because god **** this is getting boring.

also, i don't see how i contradicted myself, Gay. I was the one to point out the only thing you could possibly say was a contradiction, and even then i don't think it is.

jem, i'm down for a money match in warcraft III. i don't play dota.

Climax11

Smash Ace
pfft....

A) you missed the point of my name game, baffoon.

B) my point of a contradiction was that it sounded like you said you would play it in one comment, then in the next it sounded like you wouldn't play it at all. from reading other posts i'm not the only one that appears to think so.

apparently we were mistaken by the lack of clarity.

Balloon

Smash Lord
yeah, but what i mean by "will play" and "will not play" differ I guess, but it's in a subtle way.

usually when I say I will "play" something, especially in regards to smash, it means i'm going to really try hard to be good at it and work at it. when I say I won't "play it", I mean the same thing, except the opposite.

of course i'm going to play it more, i just find it highly unlikely that i'll find any sort of fun in it because, as john stuart mill might say, it will not be of the higher happiness but instead of only the lower.

Climax11

Smash Ace
Well, I only hope time changes your opinion since I consider you to be a positive in the smash community when you choose to be. Plus, drunken brawl crews just wont be the same.

keeper

Smash Champion
Well, Balloon, I think you're trying to compare it too much to Melee.

While Brawl looks easier to pick-up, it sounds weirder to get really good at, but I agree that the gap will be smaller.

Doc_Holiday

Smash Ace
Hi guys. Sorry I have been a little inactive, you probably don't remember me anyway. So a Gamestop tournament is coming up and I want to know which character would be the best for an FFA, It wont really matter because my only competition would be Duke anyway and he can't go, but I want to make sure I win because I havent played Brawl yet. Any help would be nice, you have 4 days lol

The_Marth_Madness

Smash Journeyman
Hi guys. Sorry I have been a little inactive, you probably don't remember me anyway. So a Gamestop tournament is coming up and I want to know which character would be the best for an FFA, It wont really matter because my only competition would be Duke anyway and he can't go, but I want to make sure I win because I havent played Brawl yet. Any help would be nice, you have 4 days lol
Pick any character you want, then play like you've never played melee before.

Why am I in this thread?

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Fox.
Ike is pretty good but you have to know how to use him... unless you're playing against a buch of scrubs in which case you don't have to know anything to win. In fact, you can play any character and beat them.

I think TMM aka Chris got it right, too. Learned something in SF I guess. :)

The_Marth_Madness

Smash Journeyman
If it's timed, pick Pit or Metaknight for maximum stall-ness. But if it's not just only original roster, pick wolf or Marth because I heard they are really easy to pick up.

brdy_

Smash Lord
^Agreed. If you're Metaknight, just stall and every once in a while come back nearby some opponents and down smash, its one of his best killing moves. Short hop Nairing out of shield with Metaknight is pretty good too.

T0MMY

Smash Master
That's me. We should smash sometime or... WiFi?
I'll Smash every time I'm in Sac.
And after this weekend we'll be able to play online? Definitely.

Yah, everyone remembers you. Remembers you as the person who quit Melee and played that game everyone makes fun of that has no skillz and no mindgamez. :laugh:
Go with a familiar Melee character, but not Sheik. Peach plays differently, so probably not her (and Marth probably won't be available, Jiggly probably won't either and she's been nerfed as well), a Go with someone like Mario, Pikachu, Ness, etc. If you want a new character, Ike is decent because he's heavy, strong, and not very slow with very good reach (he's probably the most broken character you can get in Brawl).
I don't think it'll be 4-player FFA matches, I heard one minute 1v1.

Wow Tommy. You are a ****ing dolt. Take Josh off the god **** list.
I already told him he's not on any Power Ranking list I have anything to do with.
You're bad at insults, but good at being angry. Lighten up.

Balloon

Smash Lord
You're bad at smash but good at being a complete and utter loser IRL. mirdoinitrite????

Josh wants to be taken off the list on the front page of this thread, and you know it. Do it.

joshisrad

Smash Lord
WHAT THE FUCK. You son of a fucking bitch. Take me off the list. Quit being a greasy cunt.

joshisrad

Smash Lord
Wow. I have been making it clear that I want off the list since page 348, more than two weeks ago.

cmin

Smash Ace
keep jrad on the list, he just sent me a text message saying he wont get internet for 3 weeks and that he wanted to stay on the list. So its imparative that you keep him on the list!!

T0MMY

Smash Master
You're bad at smash but good at being a complete and utter loser IRL. mirdoinitrite????
Your constant insults really hurt my feelings. Please don't hurt my feelings anymore. Show you actually care about me.

WHAT THE FUCK. You son of a fucking bitch. Take me off the list. Quit being a greasy cunt.
I didn't see a please in there.

Also, t1mmy/t0mmy, I'm really interested in going to Capital Brawl in Nevada, how are you two getting there?
Probably going by bus.
But maybe we can work something out to get you down there as well.

Climax11

Smash Ace
how long/how much? I'd basically have to start planning it now since I'm unemployeed but it just sounds like it'd be an amazing expirence especially since I'm God Tier at brawl. ;)

Top Bottom