• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Oregon Smash Community [OSC] - Oregon's official Smash Community est. 2005

Climax11

Smash Ace
Josh, I really dont' care about that conflict any more, but it's kind of annoying when someone says they're done talking about something and they keep going...

...no johns dude. Dont' even comment to this post. Just move on. You're not the smash lord, and neither is tommy. And most people, sans you dont' care who says what about themselves, so just let him say what he wants and let the "out of staters" that you deem will be let down have there say.

Like always, Lord Climax knows best.

Plus...what's an Austin?

Climax11

Smash Ace
All I'm saying is knock off the low energy on the boards. You're a cool kid, I don't get what the pesimistic posts are about. And isn't you giving that advice kind of ironic ;)

Kefka

Smash Apprentice
wasted downstairs again to celebrate the termination of WoW
mmmmmmmmmYESS i do agree

unless this is some kind of a sick joke minh.

just KEEP PLAYING DOTA AND SMASH, STAY STRONG

cmin

Smash Ace
yeah i alreayd got wasted as shizzz during super bowl i really didnt have a team to pick but everyone was going for the patriots so i went for the underbog and we won and i got money and i realize that this is a very long sentence with no conjectures or anything in that sense and oh yeah my name is bc chris and i'm stupid as hell

T0MMY

Smash Master
Haha, you got it, Climax...
And just so you know, I have updated the front page.
Make sure to make a post here when a more solid date for Fingerbang 3 will be.
Drat, I should add Idaho's tourney as well @_@;
Gotta go back and edit :^p

Kami-V

Smash Journeyman
I quit WoW too actually, but it wasn't the reason I never make tourny's >_>

Kind of random, but does anyone here go to Clackamas High school?

joshisrad

Smash Lord
No, but I know a few chicks from there - I can't remember which ones though.. think they're asian. And graduated.
And I mean, no, I don't think anybody here goes there.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Topic of Discussion:
Tournament Fees for Multiple Games

Here's a topic worthy of discussion for our region: multiple tournaments. As we know, Melee will likely have a continued presence at Smash tournaments alongside Brawl. With the addition of another game we also have additional costs for tourney-goers.

From my experience as TO over the years, I've seen many people participate in only one event or another (Singles, Doubles, Misc) due to not having money or not wanting to spend extra money on multiple tournament entrance fees. This shows that a problem could arise with the release of Brawl in that there could effectively be twice the number of events with Brawl Doubles and Brawl Singles making an appearance. So, my question is: to what extent will this affect player participation and entrance fees?

I'd like us all to discuss our individual opinions on the matter. Does entrance fee matter to you? If so, do you like it higher for better payout, lower to make gaming more affordable? Do you think one game should have a higher average entrance fee than the other? The same amount? Both lowered? What are your thoughts and conjectures on this subject?

jankerrific

Smash Journeyman
gg ryan, bc will probably try to track you guys down cause he showed up at my house unannounced this morning and muttered something about you two.

double the tournaments means half the participants. oregon is too poor to hold too many melee and brawl events at the same time. i think we should have seperate events on different days, maybe weeks, just to keep attendance high, or til some people get jobs and are able to pay for both.

Climax11

Smash Ace
gg ryan, bc will probably try to track you guys down cause he showed up at my house unannounced this morning and muttered something about you two.

double the tournaments means half the participants. oregon is too poor to hold too many melee and brawl events at the same time. i think we should have seperate events on different days, maybe weeks, just to keep attendance high, or til some people get jobs and are able to pay for both.
I think this might end up being the case too. But I'm going to give the whole 2 day finger bang thing a try and see how it works out, hopefully there'll still be a pretty big melee turn out and I'm not too worried about the brawl turn out as I feel alot of people will want to get out there for the new game.

As time dwindles though, probably seperate occasion tournaments?

Binx

Smash Master
Honestly the reason I couldn't make tournaments is because Oregon players are so spread out its hard to find regular rides to eugene from here (also many many life johns... I'm working on it). If I am going to a big tournament I like to have the fee around $15-20 because then we get a huge turn out and its worth the time and the money, also the competition seems to be better and we get more WA players when the entrance fee is higher.

I like lower doubles entry like $10. However with brawl I would try and do an all event fee like OC3 where you can opt out of tournies but not for any benefit, so basically charge every person $30-40 and have them entered for singles and doubles for both games as well as crews and drunken crews.

Another idea is to have it be $15 per event (5 including crews) or $40 for all events.

Climax11

Smash Ace
What'd you do to get suspended :o
Long story short:

Long ago someone left a gift certificate in the resturant, they never came back for it.

A roomservice order paid cash, and I only made 20 bucks that night so I was like, screw it, and applied the gift certificate, even though techincally there's nothing wrong about it, I guess there is some moral question. It's not like they lost money though, someone just lost this certificate that was already paid for (really the only person that lost was the person that lost the gift certificate 2 months ago).

Anyways, i didn't take into account that most roomservice people work for buisness and she went down and asked for a recipt...and was pissed when it said gift certificate for payment, since her company might question reimburising her I guess.

Basically I thought I had covered every angel, but I didn't. And it was a dumb thing to do to begin with, but I don't really like that job so I'm not too worried about it.

T0MMY

Smash Master
Guess who has a smashboards account?!?!
At long last.
Now you just have to get yourself a TIA account and you're all set.

lets take into account that some people go to school and have no $$
You should get financial aid, especially since you're a minority and fat white people will pity you for being a lesser race, so no johns.

It does make sense that the more tournaments there are the less people will be able to travel. That's kind of been the case since we've been having an event every week X^)

cmin

Smash Ace
see tommy, that is the thing. i have financial aid, but i have to pay it all off for schools and apartment. so... sitll no $$ =// o yea f0od too

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Charging more money for tournaments doesn't always mean more OR players will want to go. Charging for all tournaments at once sort of works. Some people complain saying they want to do only one event (usually Singles), but it makes sure that 20 people show up and 10 teams enter instead of only 4 teams.

I guess this is the same fundamental problem, people won't really have money for multiple events, and Brawl is going to add to the number of events.

Additionally, the Online aspect is going to have a big impact - perhaps moreso in Oregon than CA or WA. Even if a few players say "Why travel when I can just play online" the already small number of tournament attendees will get smaller.

Climax11

Smash Ace
Haha, you got it, Climax...
And just so you know, I have updated the front page.
Make sure to make a post here when a more solid date for Fingerbang 3 will be.
Drat, I should add Idaho's tourney as well @_@;
Gotta go back and edit :^p
k. FB3 is for sure going to be April 11th/12th. I'm currently working on getting Nevada to come, as well as all the returnies from Id/Wa/EWA. Anyone have good relations with those Kewl kids from cali?

Top Bottom