• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Oregon Smash Community [OSC] - Oregon's official Smash Community est. 2005

T0MMY

Smash Master
B-itching. I really don't think it's a big deal or have anything against you guys (hardly know ya, etc.), it just seemed like people didn't understand what Balloon was getting at.
Yeah, it's not like I'm the one complaining. I don't get it either. I think it's best to let it drop.

Eh. It's a fine line between better player and better character-specific player, but when it comes down to it, better player is all that matters. It's fun to say you're the best _____, but really, what you want to be doing is winning, right? Does it matter what character you play?
Winning doesn't matter as much as having fun. I'd be playing tictactoe or something if that were the case.

I'm just going to reiterate that CrazyKirbyKid has a better Kirby than Timmy in my opinion. Plus, I'm pretty sure most people would agree that my Falcon isn't campy. Usually the way I play is a mimickry of the way my opponent plays, so if anything it's only when other people are playing campy that I play that way.
And I'm usually the one agreeing that you have a campy Falcon, not the one saying it. It's not like I was saying that's a bad tactic, use it if you have to. If you mimic your opponent you'd be more aggressive with me, but you tend to stay back and wait for an opportunity to attack.
t1mmy has best Kirby in the world

Balloon

Smash Lord
You're dumb Tommy. I didn't say it was a bad tactic, and I know it's not a bad tactic. The fact of the matter is, and you can ask Eggz who is far better than you in every aspect of not only smash, but life, that I don't play a campy Falcon unless I'm forced to against other campy players, such as you and/or Timmy when you counter-pick stupid levels like Jungle Japes.

Kami-V

Smash Journeyman
Wow, just got a chance to look at all the brawl videos.

The game looks stupid. Incredibly slow. And if wavedashing and l-canceling is really taken out, I have feelings the game won't be competitive at all.

Digital Watches

Smash Ace
Wow, just got a chance to look at all the brawl videos.

The game looks stupid. Incredibly slow. And if wavedashing and l-canceling is really taken out, I have feelings the game won't be competitive at all.
**** that. A game being competitive is about what can be done with it, not whether it's the same game as the last one. At least wait until june.

cmin

Smash Ace
**** that. A game being competitive is about what can be done with it, not whether it's the same game as the last one. At least wait until june.
well why isnt street fighter 1 competitive? or most other fighting games out there besides the newer street fighter generations? maybe because it is slow and noone likes it. pretty sure thats what kami is getting at.

jankerrific

Smash Journeyman
after reading gimpys first impressions of brawl im having high hopes. he made a good point, its not melee 2.0, it is a totally new game. new mechanics and new characters, sounds good to me.

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=121329 here is the thread if you all havent seen it, its definitely worth checking out and will most likely ease your minds.

Digital Watches

Smash Ace
well why isnt street fighter 1 competitive? or most other fighting games out there besides the newer street fighter generations? maybe because it is slow and noone likes it. pretty sure thats what kami is getting at.
Street Fighter 1 was an actual terrible game, and this has been proven by it having been out for... I dunno... 20 years now? Also, a lot of games fail not because they don't have potential, but because they don't have marketing.

Kami was just saying that even though the game isn't even quite done being developed, and only because some of the things we use now have been removed, he can already tell that it's going to be a bad game, which is ignorant bull****. See the difference?

Kami-V

Smash Journeyman
Street Fighter 1 was an actual terrible game, and this has been proven by it having been out for... I dunno... 20 years now? Also, a lot of games fail not because they don't have potential, but because they don't have marketing.

Kami was just saying that even though the game isn't even quite done being developed, and only because some of the things we use now have been removed, he can already tell that it's going to be a bad game, which is ignorant bull****. See the difference?
Well, we can safely say the game is mostly developed, no? Otherwise, it probably wouldn't have been at E for All in its glory.

Though my assumption was quick to jump, it has backup for it. Wavedashing I don't care for, if its taken out... thats a very melee oriented thing, and I'm sure there would be new ways of getting around fast in Brawl (or maybe we'd just develop new means of fighting??). But, they also took out l-canceling, on top of the already slow game. One thing that seems to be evident in almost any game is that there has to be a line between noobs and good players, and one of the major factors thats evident in more games than not is speed, and the ability to control it.

Theres a reason why a lot of people watch us play and go "omg u r on litning moad!11one", because when we play it looks much faster than the game is normally played. We know what to do to make the game go faster. Fast falling, L-canceling, wavedashing, etc. If all of these devices are taken out in brawl, not only to add to the fact that the game looks terribly slow to begin with, then Brawl will have no capabilities of becoming faster. If theres little speed difference between a new player and a good/veteran player, then that already cuts a large amount of competition.

Now, I'm not completely saying brawl is going to be garbage, if at all. I'm just saying, as it looks, I'm not entirely sure how much it will have going for it at this point.

Digital Watches

Smash Ace
Meh, that's exactly what I'm saying.

You're looking at one factor in what will eventually be the game's metagame, and saying that because of that one thing's absence, the game won't be good, which is ********.

Quite frankly, if having the execution to make your character move faster were the only thing separating good players from bad ones in Melee, I'd be a god at it, and so would anyone willing to practice for a good two hours. Cmin would be the best player in the **** world!

Kami-V said:
ZOMG if teh total n00bz can't see wut crazy ****z im doingh then how can i get l337?
Just look at Kara-cancelling. In SF3, any normal can be cancelled on the first frame. Some of these normals move you forward on the first frame, which you can use to extend the range of certain moves, including throws and specials. This allows for blockstrings leading into tickthrows, and for some characters, better combos than would otherwise be possible. It's also the most miniscule thing ever. I guaruntee you that the person who figured it out was either Japanese or in a mental hospital, because I swear no one can see that **** if it hasn't been pointed out to them. The point is, just because there isn't some hideously obvious thing that, while noobs can't do, they can at least tell that it's happening, doesn't mean that there won't be some tricks in Brawl.

I swear, this mentality of "But mommy, how do I be better than other people if I can't out-execute them?" is why people don't like the smash community.

jankerrific

Smash Journeyman
if there is less of a skill gap between veteran players and new players doesnt that increase competition? just a thought.

and its not like there will be absolutely no advanced play style, after 3 days pro smashers found new techniques. brawl will be different and if you are not ready to accept that, play melee for the rest of your life.

joshisrad

Smash Lord
Meh, that's exactly what I'm saying.

You're looking at one factor in what will eventually be the game's metagame, and saying that because of that one thing's absence, the game won't be good, which is ********.

Quite frankly, if having the execution to make your character move faster were the only thing separating good players from bad ones in Melee, I'd be a god at it, and so would anyone willing to practice for a good two hours. Cmin would be the best player in the **** world!

Just look at Kara-cancelling. In SF3, any normal can be cancelled on the first frame. Some of these normals move you forward on the first frame, which you can use to extend the range of certain moves, including throws and specials. This allows for blockstrings leading into tickthrows, and for some characters, better combos than would otherwise be possible. It's also the most miniscule thing ever. I guaruntee you that the person who figured it out was either Japanese or in a mental hospital, because I swear no one can see that **** if it hasn't been pointed out to them. The point is, just because there isn't some hideously obvious thing that, while noobs can't do, they can at least tell that it's happening, doesn't mean that there won't be some tricks in Brawl.

I swear, this mentality of "But mommy, how do I be better than other people if I can't out-execute them?" is why people don't like the smash community.
Calm down.

cmin

Smash Ace
i agree the metagame would be alot different, but judging from the looks of it, kami was trying to make a point that it looked slow and lame relative to ssbm. therefore probably causing alot of ssbm players to lose interest in it since it would be almost a completely different game.

Digital Watches

Smash Ace
i agree the metagame would be alot different, but judging from the looks of it, kami was trying to make a point that it looked slow and lame relative to ssbm. therefore probably causing alot of ssbm players to lose interest in it since it would be almost a completely different game.
Right, and I'm just saying that coming to decisions like that so hastily is what's going to make them lose interest.

Binx

Smash Master
I dunno, fast paced action was one of my favorite things about melee, brawl looks really cool, but I will just have to see how fun it ends up being. At least I didn't want to play Ike, from what I've heard he is horrible, also it seems like people die way slower in brawl, you need to get them to a mighty percentage, so I am wondering how that will change the game, maybe we will play with less stock?

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
You can say Brawl is slower, but that doesn't make it a slow game by any means.

Additionally, Melee wasn't "fast" per zackily. Top Tiers were fast. To me, Melee is a rather methodical game when I'm playing Kirby (it stopped feeling "fast" after advanced techniques became second-nature). It's only "fast" when I'm playing Fox, and even he doesn't feel as fast as he used to when I first started playing him.

Take my word for it when I say Brawl is not slow, but rather the speed of the characters are "moderated". And, yes, Sonic is fast. I'm going to go play some old Sonic games to compare his speed, but his dash is so fast it feels like it breaks the "moderated" feel of the game.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
I guess this is the best way of passing the time until November 3rd, is it?

Balloon

Smash Lord
yah

so timmy, let me know if there's any change in plans for getting to OSU III. Like, if another seat opens up so that someone else can go (like my roomie). I know I already have a seat, though :p.

Kevvviiinnn

Smash Lord
did anyone pull off a successful edgeguard? it seems like with the new edge-snapping up-b's, edgeguarding will be a lot harder...

and what's happening november 3rd?

EDIT: i'm talking about brawl to those who attended the E for all event if that wasn't obvious

Peach Masta

Smash Lord
T!MMY is Eugene going to DAN 2

Also, I am 50/50 on having a suburban (if thats how you spell it) depending on the ol' grades at school. So if anyone Gresham wanted an iffy ride. Maybe you could get a rides and also anyone southern of Gresham. Wanted to come up to get a rides then that also would be cool, but we will see I am making no promises right now. (The catch is my mom would be the driver but she is a pimp so it's cool.)

Top Bottom