• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Oregon Smash Community [OSC] - Oregon's official Smash Community est. 2005

Binx

Smash Master
brawl seems a little dissapointing for me, I really liked wavedashing and l canceling, I am sure I can still wreck noobs without it but this will change the entire way the game is played, I wonder what our new defense to shield grabbing is going to be (well mine is having Nana bash you in the face with a mallet).

KRyu

Smash Rookie
I don't see the big deal about wavedashing being gone, it just means you gotta come up with new strategies.... 'sides... it was just a glitch, wasn't it?

Wikipedia

Smash Lord
Do you like how the largest population of indivuals advocating a non-wavedashing metagame are the ones that have only made 6 posts and just joined 6 months ago?

Digital Watches

Smash Ace
Which is not to say that they don't accidentally have a point, uninformed as they probably are.

People can ***** all they want about specific features, but when it comes right down to it, the metagame will develop. It won't be the same metagame, but I doubt that it'll necessarily be bad. It's difficult to determine early in a game's life how the metagame is going to turn out. Look at Guilty Gear. When AC was about to come out, the throw breaks and pseudo-parrying system were announced, people were worried that the game would turn into a slow-paced quasi-Third Strike. They were not only wrong, but about as far off as is possible. These two particular changes turned out to be nearly insignificant, and the entire pace of the game was made much faster than the previous iteration, due to other changes.

Point is, don't call it too early. For all we know, the competitive metagame could end up infinitely more complex than Melee ever was.

Then again, maybe it won't. Who knows? They're not trying to make a high-level competitive game, and even if they were, no one in that business knows what the **** they're making. No matter what companies try, most of the time, 50% or more of the stuff used in the high-level game was never intended or even forseen by the creators of the game. The point is, taking out Wavedashing and L-Cancelling is a choice, all choices will effect the metagame, and it's FAR too early to tell in what way this will happen, how significantly, and whether or not this will make it a more rich and interesting metagame or not, and anyone who thinks they can predict it is stupid.

joshisrad

Smash Lord
lolllll fairy

hey funny joke what did they call it when digital watches passed gas

farores wind
LOL cuz hes a fairy!!!!

T0MMY

Smash Master
Oh, and Timmy, saying your main sucks as an excuse for losing all the time should be against the law. The game is far more about the player than it is about the character you use, which has been proven far too many times.
I agree, it should be against the law. And I also agree that the game is mroe about the player than the character. However, when players of similar skill levels play, the matchup will obviously play a huge role in the match. Everyone knows that. Just winning against noobs with bottom-tiers gets boring after a while. Beating competitive players with bottom tiers is more challenging.

I swear you two chose Pichu and Kirby to be your mains simply so you could say "I'm the best Pichu/Kirby main in Oregon. Worship me as I only upload and post about videos of me winning with a low-tier character."
No, it's to say we're the best Pichu/Kirby of the world, not just Oregon. :chuckle:

Digital Watches

Smash Ace
I agree, it should be against the law. And I also agree that the game is mroe about the player than the character. However, when players of similar skill levels play, the matchup will obviously play a huge role in the match. Everyone knows that. Just winning against noobs with bottom-tiers gets boring after a while. Beating competitive players with bottom tiers is more challenging.
I think what Balloon is saying is that you should either man up and take that challenge, or choose another character. Neither of these solutions involve *****ing.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
so you could say "I'm the best Pichu/Kirby main in Oregon.
Doesn't matter. I'm the best Meta Knight in Oregon.

lolololoollloloololllollolololooolllolllolololoollloloololllollolololooollloll

Balloon

Smash Lord
I think what Balloon is saying is that you should either man up and take that challenge, or choose another character. Neither of these solutions involve *****ing.
Thank you. Finally some vocal and open support on these matters rather than those who agree but refuse to say anything.

maximus

Smash Apprentice
I'm still in shock that the advanced tactics of Melee have been made impossible to execute-- don't get me wrong, I believe you guys who are attending the E for All Expo. And yes, it irks me too. What the hell is the dev. team thinking? Does this mean we'll be sticking to Melee mostly, and just playing Brawl "for fun?" I couldn't say, as I haven't gotten my hands on the demo. I am especially divided about this because, well, SSB64 was played at the tourney level. Yet, the other side of me thinks that even then, players could not have as unique a playing style (as they can in Melee), which is very important to me as a player. That's why I dislike the smash-orbs as well; the things are like auto-combo machines... Indeed, if Brawl is to be played at the tourney level, the orbs will be turned off like other items (that's probably why Sakurai made them items, I know). Even so, the fact still remains that many of the advanced tactics from Melee seem to be gone, as well the fact that online is anonymous (and is likely to be full of lag), which really frustrates me :mad:. I just hope what Watches has suggested becomes a reality.

KRyu

Smash Rookie
Do you like how the largest population of indivuals advocating a non-wavedashing metagame are the ones that have only made 6 posts and just joined 6 months ago?
Wow. that was a rather cheap shot... but yeah.. you're right... I guess I just don't understand at all... because based on the small amount of posts I've made these past few months, that means I'm a TOTAL newbie at the game.... I've obviously never played before, so how could I understand that the lack of wave-dashing and L-cancelling has completely ruined your life and the game as well... I mean....it's gotta be terrible having to adapt and prove your skills by coming up with new strategies and ways to play and not be able to rely on the same old moves.

yes... forgive me and my obvious lack of intelligence on the matter.

Binx

Smash Master
Wow. that was a rather cheap shot... but yeah.. you're right... I guess I just don't understand at all... because based on the small amount of posts I've made these past few months, that means I'm a TOTAL newbie at the game.... I've obviously never played before, so how could I understand that the lack of wave-dashing and L-cancelling has completely ruined your life and the game as well... I mean....it's gotta be terrible having to adapt and prove your skills by coming up with new strategies and ways to play and not be able to rely on the same old moves.

Umm, actually we did adapt and learn new skills, nintendo chose to make the game easier to play and in so doing eliminated any sort of technical skill there was in smash, now the only differences will be proper spacing and mind games, poor silent wolf.

So I say to you as well as other casual players, go complain to nintendo that the game is TOO easy and you would like it to take a modicum of skill, have at least one or two techniques you have to AIM. They made the ranged ledge grapples automatic, and from what I have read they created a way to sweetspot without actually going low enough to have it matter, the game is rediuclous now, I will buy it, and I will try it out, but from what I've seen its just a slower melee with dumbed down gameplay.

joshisrad

Smash Lord
I was actually thinking about this yesterday (I don't care about what you guys do with what tier since I have that "just whatever" mindset - I play Mewtwo a lot because he's fun, after all) when Josh said to me that timmy is the best Kirby in the world.. realistically, I'm sure Azen could just pick up Pichu or Kirby on spot and be better than both of you with them. So you're not the best of those in the world. Dig?

Balloon

Smash Lord
Josh is right.

And besides that, CrazyKirbyKid's Kirby I found to be waaaaaaay harder than Timmy's.

joshisrad

Smash Lord
joshisright

btw Bart come to my house at like midnight or whatever. Sam too. So we can get in some smash before Saturday

Balloon

Smash Lord
We will see about that Josh. I have some issues right now though. I have a 5 page paper due on monday for my political philosophy class as well as a midterm for calculus on the same day. I know absolutely nothing about calculus (I have no idea how I did this...) and am getting a tutor this sunday...

Balloon

Smash Lord
You've taken calc dude? If I bring some **** for you to help me with, will you? I'm seriously 100 percent lost in the class. I've failed the last two quizzes (second one being a 0 out of 15) and I haven't done any of the homework except the first assignment and a half.

Wikipedia

Smash Lord

Eh, I'm sorry. It wasn't meant to be a personal attack on you. It was more of an observation that if you go into some of those heated brawl discussion threads you will see they are always un-known people argueing with other un-known people about the lack of presence and the affect thereof of wavedashing and l-canceling. You just don't see sephirothken in those threads or TheKing or Cactuar ect. It's like, the people who are argueing the most are the ones that it effects the least. That is all I was trying to say. Sorry for the confusion.

joshisrad

Smash Lord
reminds me of the convo I had with sam

SloppyTaco686 (4:09:08 PM): holy ****ing ****
SloppyTaco686 (4:09:17 PM): I want to punch the chicks screaming in the background in all the brawl videos
SloppyTaco686 (4:09:18 PM): so bad
SuperFreakingRad (4:09:24 PM): yeah I know
SuperFreakingRad (4:09:24 PM): but
SuperFreakingRad (4:09:26 PM): there is one video
SuperFreakingRad (4:09:30 PM): with four chicks playing
SloppyTaco686 (4:09:33 PM): oh yeah i saw that
SuperFreakingRad (4:09:33 PM): with VERY nice legs
SloppyTaco686 (4:09:33 PM): lol
SuperFreakingRad (4:09:35 PM): so I don't care
SuperFreakingRad (4:09:36 PM): haha
SloppyTaco686 (4:09:37 PM): rolf
...(stuff)
SuperFreakingRad (4:13:25 PM): honestly though
SuperFreakingRad (4:13:29 PM): most of the guys at this convention
SuperFreakingRad (4:13:33 PM): are probably getting like
SuperFreakingRad (4:13:38 PM): the most female interaction of their lives
SuperFreakingRad (4:13:45 PM): which is why they hired the girls to be there

KRyu

Smash Rookie
Eh, I'm sorry. It wasn't meant to be a personal attack on you. It was more of an observation that if you go into some of those heated brawl discussion threads you will see they are always un-known people argueing with other un-known people about the lack of presence and the affect thereof of wavedashing and l-canceling. You just don't see sephirothken in those threads or TheKing or Cactuar ect. It's like, the people who are argueing the most are the ones that it effects the least. That is all I was trying to say. Sorry for the confusion.
y'know... in the back of my mind... I suspected my first instinct about it being an attack was completely off '_'; ah well.. live and learn. It's all good now ^^;

actully, I'm fairly unknown, I just play against t!mmy and t0mmy nearly every sunday under the name "Afro" ....unfortunately, someone was using tha name when I registered '_';

T0MMY

Smash Master
Of course, I do both those. And what is *****ing?

Thank you. Finally some vocal and open support on these matters rather than those who agree but refuse to say anything.
Yeah, everyone who says nothing are in obvious agreement with you. They probably don't really care.

What the hell is the dev. team thinking? Does this mean we'll be sticking to Melee mostly, and just playing Brawl "for fun?" I couldn't say, as I haven't gotten my hands on the demo.
Even so, the fact still remains that many of the advanced tactics from Melee seem to be gone, as well the fact that online is anonymous (and is likely to be full of lag), which really frustrates me :mad:.
First off, Brawl is going to be competitive. Just because it doesn't have all the advanced techniques from Melee doesn't make that any different. We've already had a Brawl tournament at E for All. In a way, it's a more competitive game than 64 or Melee, having tournaments before the game has even been released.
Secondly, you're just making assumptions like the online is anonymous and laggy. I don't know of either of these happening. Even so, people play Melee online with its lag AND bugs. it doesn't matter.

I was actually thinking about this yesterday (I don't care about what you guys do with what tier since I have that "just whatever" mindset - I play Mewtwo a lot because he's fun, after all) when Josh said to me that timmy is the best Kirby in the world.. realistically, I'm sure Azen could just pick up Pichu or Kirby on spot and be better than both of you with them. So you're not the best of those in the world. Dig?
So, you'd say Azen has better understanding of stage selection, matchup, distancing, and timing, but not the character itself makes him a better player of that character? Sounds like he'd just be a better player to me. This has been a discussion in other threads before.

Josh is right.
And besides that, CrazyKirbyKid's Kirby I found to be waaaaaaay harder than Timmy's.
Kirby Kid didn't do as well as Nashun or t1mmy in that tournament. And I destroyed his Kirby when I played him. He probably just does better against campy Captain Falcons than t1mmy does, as I play a more aggressive Falcon.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=D533pueDHLc

ITV: the smash twins forget their full relation to eachother! :D
lolz, I know. It was the girls.
We were also starting the match at time, so we were distracted by the girls and the game. I'm surprised we could talk at all.

jankerrific

Smash Journeyman
im not impressed so far with the way brawl is panning out, but im not going to let my hopes down until i see it for myself, or get a super negative review from players that are attending the demo. i bet everything will be fine in the end though.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Jank, every pro smasher at E For All agrees Brawl is waaaay too good. From what we've seen, it's no where near as technically demanding as Melee (which has had years of "research" anyway). But we all know tech is not what defines good players.

Melee is not going to fade away as quickly as SSB64. But everyone will be devouring Brawl in Feb. Chances are Brawl will take the spotlight, but that won't be determined until the players have the full version and more hands-on time.

If you want my persnoal opinion, I'm ready to give up Melee already and I haven't heard anyone disagree with me on this (except Gea who thinks his main Mario is bad in Brawl). It feels much more balanced. Part of me misses the fast-pace action of Melee of course.

maximus

Smash Apprentice
First off, Brawl is going to be competitive. We've already had a Brawl tournament at E for All.

That's good to know, but what I wonder is how it really plays--now, I've watched just about every youtube'd video of Brawl @ E for All. Even so, one can't really experience what it's like to play a game unless...they've played it-- which you guys got to do... so, I wonder, is it really different from Melee and SSB64, or could I just like plug in a cube controller and get the smashing lip-snickety-pop just like that?

Digital Watches

Smash Ace
Of course, I do both those. And what is *****ing?
B-itching. I really don't think it's a big deal or have anything against you guys (hardly know ya, etc.), it just seemed like people didn't understand what Balloon was getting at.

First off, Brawl is going to be competitive. Just because it doesn't have all the advanced techniques from Melee doesn't make that any different. We've already had a Brawl tournament at E for All. In a way, it's a more competitive game than 64 or Melee, having tournaments before the game has even been released.
Secondly, you're just making assumptions like the online is anonymous and laggy. I don't know of either of these happening. Even so, people play Melee online with its lag AND bugs. it doesn't matter.
Yeah, I'm doubting online play will ever become the staple format of the competitive community, so there's no reason to worry about it being laggy or anonymous.

So, you'd say Azen has better understanding of stage selection, matchup, distancing, and timing, but not the character itself makes him a better player of that character? Sounds like he'd just be a better player to me. This has been a discussion in other threads before.
Eh. It's a fine line between better player and better character-specific player, but when it comes down to it, better player is all that matters. It's fun to say you're the best _____, but really, what you want to be doing is winning, right? Does it matter what character you play?

Kirby Kid didn't do as well as Nashun or t1mmy in that tournament. And I destroyed his Kirby when I played him. He probably just does better against campy Captain Falcons than t1mmy does, as I play a more aggressive Falcon.
Again, kind of a moot point.

lolz, I know. It was the girls.
We were also starting the match at time, so we were distracted by the girls and the game. I'm surprised we could talk at all.
I think I envy you guys more for that than getting to see brawl so early...

Balloon

Smash Lord
I'm just going to reiterate that CrazyKirbyKid has a better Kirby than Timmy in my opinion. Plus, I'm pretty sure most people would agree that my Falcon isn't campy. Usually the way I play is a mimickry of the way my opponent plays, so if anything it's only when other people are playing campy that I play that way.

No offense intended toward you, Timmy. I've never had any sort of problem with you other than your failure to upload videos of me and Eggz (which isn't a big deal at all) xD.

Top Bottom