• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Operation Starfall: Bringing Life to SMRPG Again

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
I just tweeted Billybae10K Billybae10K about Operation: Starfall. He's rather active on Twitter, so if you wish to, hit him up.

I'm not on Twitter all that much, but I can be more active on it for this. I don't have much to offer that isn't writing skills.

I do have an idea though: the anniversary is May 13th, right? What if as many as us who had the ability and courage to do so livestreamed SMRPG on it's anniversary? A sudden jump in active streaming numbers on the anniversary might turn some heads...

Grunky Peep

Smash Journeyman
I just tweeted Billybae10K Billybae10K about Operation: Starfall. He's rather active on Twitter, so if you wish to, hit him up.

I'm not on Twitter all that much, but I can be more active on it for this. I don't have much to offer that isn't writing skills.

I do have an idea though: the anniversary is May 13th, right? What if as many as us who had the ability and courage to do so livestreamed SMRPG on it's anniversary? A sudden jump in active streaming numbers on the anniversary might turn some heads...
This is actually a really good idea, Twitch numbers get attention.

D

Deleted member

At the very least it would be a lot of fun and would probably score us a few dozen new supporters. So I'd be all down for that though I'd only hang out in chat since I am super Self-Conscious about myself.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lime3037

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1521 3002 4745
I'LL spread this to more friends of mine. I know some guys who know some guys that may be able to reach a larger amount of people than I can.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
I have signed the petition. Would be amazing to see the designs be used again.
ALWAYS wanted a Mario Kart: Double Dash 2, with Mallow and Geno as team for example.

D

Deleted member

I am so lucky we have this thread.

Things are a bit.....uh....tense....in the Geno thread

Potatu

Smash Apprentice

Yeah, it's basically a sinking ship. I'm sad, it used to be a fun place before things got out of hand :(

owjies

Smash Journeyman
Cool, I got summoned.

What's up?
We're laying the foundation for a campaign to try to revive SMRPG and its characters. It's kinda all hands on deck right now as we try to nail down our strategy and timeline.

D

Deleted member

Cool, I got summoned.

What's up?
Welcome! We are discussing the revival Geno, Mallow, and Super Mario RPG as a whole and spreading the word. We won't be speculating or talking about anything SE related like we were doing in the Geno thread

Yeah, it's basically a sinking ship. I'm sad, it used to be a fun place before things got out of hand :(
I know. I am just so happy that this thread is a thing

ShroomEL

Smash Apprentice

Agreed. There's so much pessimism in that thread that's rolled in over the past few months, and it's nice to have a purely positive thread again. It's getting tiring seeing the same old "spirits deconfirm" arguments and whatnot.

Last edited:

Lime3037

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1521 3002 4745

It's probably a longshot, but does anyone think Justin Wong would support this? Geno was on his wishlist for DLC.
I know he's a pretty busy guy and he's known for CAPCOM and other fighting games, but just the fact that he even mentioned having interest in Geno for Ultimate was surprising. Maybe a big name in the FGC could raise awareness? It's a thought...

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
If there is going to be an animation made, what sort of animation are you guys thinking? There is a large variety of animation out there for stuff like this, from remaking old works, putting the characters in the roles of another art piece of some sort(Usually an anime intro), or making something entirely new from scratch.

D

Deleted member

If there is going to be an animation made, what sort of animation are you guys thinking? There is a large variety of animation out there for stuff like this, from remaking old works, putting the characters in the roles of another art piece of some sort(Usually an anime intro), or making something entirely new from scratch.
Remake the Joker trailer, but instead of Joker, we put in Geno :D

Lime3037

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1521 3002 4745
I think it would be neat to see stop motion animation featuring a homemade Geno puppet or figurine.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
I could see something akin to a story book style animation. A narrator telling the tales of the SMRPG timeline. It could end with 'But where are these beloved characters now?' Then end it with a sweet and hopeful note.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I'm still not down for Geno in Smash...

...in his current state that is.
I actually think this is a great idea, and bringing Mallow and Geno BOTH into the Mario universe more would be incredible.

Geno and Mallow playing tennis against Rosalina and Luma?
Boshi knocking Yoshi off the track in Mario Kart?
Croco offering dodgy deals on a Mario Party board?
Sign me the hell up, a revival of old characters is always great to see and if Geno and Mallow join the reoccurring Mario cast I'd be considerably more up for their Smash appearances.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Remake the Joker trailer, but instead of Joker, we put in Geno :D
Well, that would be great for promoting Geno, but not the whole of SMRPG, like we are doing now.
I think it would be neat to see stop motion animation featuring a homemade Geno puppet or figurine.
That would be very clever, if a bit time consuming. But it would be a great project and it would grab attention for being something you don't see often in fan works.

By the way, shouldn't we include that one artist known for there SMRPG art. I am blanking on their name, but they made that entire art collection that retold the story of SMRPG.

mbvswb

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 4561 1118 2914
Hell yeah. I'm in. Is there a discord?

Ravioko

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RaviokoTheCat
3DS FC
1263-8771-0336
Switch FC
SW-0032-6272-2452
I actually really like the idea of a bunch of people livestreaming the game on May 13th! That's fun, simple, and readily accessible.

I've seen a few people like my idea for a collage of some kind, which is great! However I want to REALLY stress that we should focus on doing something (or ideally, multiple things), like the stream idea, that's ACCESSIBLE.

A 2D animation? Stop-motion? Fan game? Those all sound cool in concept, and I'm positive it would be cool to see, but if that's what we ultimately rely in we're going to get less people, and what we need to focus on is numbers.

A lot of people may like the idea of Geno, but may not have the time or means to do something too complicated. Which is why I before suggested just a college of Geno drawings, and also fully agree with the streaming idea: both of those things are still creative, but can also be done by your "average" Geno fan. The more Geno fans that participate, the more likely we'll be heard.

D

Deleted member

What about remaking the scene from SMRPG where Exor crashes into Bowser's castle, and then changing things up a bit, like a nearby star (the star that possesses Geno, I can't type the name on my keyboard lol) soaring through the sky, looking for its destination - the Geno doll

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229

Since I don't know how to mention peoples , I'll quote you instead.

Can we all agree that Zack E nickname is now "The summoner" x)? Just kidding.
But seriously , a big thank you for calling everyone here , since the support list from the Geno thread is pretty long.

Also , if anyone want to play SMRPG , here are the way you can do it:

-Play it on an original SNES(The game was only released in Japan and America , not Europe!)
-Use Emulation to play it.
-Buy it on the Wii U eshop , It's only 8 dollars!
-You can also play it on the SNES Mini.

It's a very easy to pick-up RPG , and isn't very long (around 7~10 hours) but it aged well , compared to most olders RPGs.

Also , if you don't know how to help SMRPG's Revival...

Simple things such as having a SMRPG themed profile pic , sharing SMRPG drawings/music on social media , talking about SMRPG to your Friends/family is already big and easy to do.

I know that some people here don't have the time for big project like complete animations or fangame , but these few things are pretty easy to do and are hugely appreciated.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I'm still not down for Geno in Smash...

...in his current state that is.
I actually think this is a great idea, and bringing Mallow and Geno BOTH into the Mario universe more would be incredible.

Geno and Mallow playing tennis against Rosalina and Luma?
Boshi knocking Yoshi off the track in Mario Kart?
Croco offering dodgy deals on a Mario Party board?
Sign me the hell up, a revival of old characters is always great to see and if Geno and Mallow join the reoccurring Mario cast I'd be considerably more up for their Smash appearances.
That's the spirit! I was actually thinking about tagging you here since I've heard you talk about how you want to see Geno and Mallow revived elsewhere before they appear in Smash. Good to see we're in agreement!

D

Deleted member

Since I don't know how to mention peoples , I'll quote you instead.

Can we all agree that Zack E nickname is now "The summoner" x)? Just kidding.
But seriously , a big thank you for calling everyone here , since the support list from the Geno thread is pretty long.

Also , if anyone want to play SMRPG , here are the way you can do it:

-Play it on an original SNES(The game was only released in Japan and America , not Europe!)
-Use Emulation to play it.
-Buy it on the Wii U eshop , It's only 8 dollars!
-You can also play it on the SNES Mini.

It's a very easy to pick-up RPG , and isn't very long (around 7~10 hours) but it aged well , compared to most olders RPGs.

Also , if you don't know how to help SMRPG's Revival...

Simple things such as having a SMRPG themed profile pic , sharing SMRPG drawings/music on social media , talking about SMRPG to your Friends/family is already big and easy to do.

I know that some people here don't have the time for big project like complete animations or fangame , but these few things are pretty easy to do and are hugely appreciated.
Well, since SMRPG is available on the WiiU VC, isn't it available in Europe?

ShroomEL

Smash Apprentice
I actually really like the idea of a bunch of people livestreaming the game on May 13th! That's fun, simple, and readily accessible.

I've seen a few people like my idea for a collage of some kind, which is great! However I want to REALLY stress that we should focus on doing something (or ideally, multiple things), like the stream idea, that's ACCESSIBLE.

A 2D animation? Stop-motion? Fan game? Those all sound cool in concept, and I'm positive it would be cool to see, but if that's what we ultimately rely in we're going to get less people, and what we need to focus on is numbers.

A lot of people may like the idea of Geno, but may not have the time or means to do something too complicated. Which is why I before suggested just a college of Geno drawings, and also fully agree with the streaming idea: both of those things are still creative, but can also be done by your "average" Geno fan. The more Geno fans that participate, the more likely we'll be heard.
That sounds like a really good path to go down. Like you said, some people may be to busy to put the time into a larger project, or just not have the required knowledge to animate or code, so a stream with art showcases could be a really cool idea to attract a larger audience. A date when most people are off work/school at the time would be more suitable.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I believe that, yes, something long-term being on the table is always great, but right now, we have to focus on the more immediate grabbing of numbers. Then, with more people on board, we can work on huge projects like fan animations and allow our numbers to spread these projects naturally, as while they're supporting Operation Starfall. Smaller inclusions like art and writing would also benefit hugely and would be able to happen more feasibly in the short term.

I am also in talks with LTP about getting an official Twitter set-up. As for a Discord, ain't that practically what the Star Road Discord server is for?

Also, @Zack E. , your summoning is really appreciated, too. The summoning circles have commenced...

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
If I were to make one recommendation, at least from a lets play perspective of entertainment, we need more general and blind playthroughs of SMRPG. I am shocked about how little there is. And that goes for LP requests as well. One LPer I follow does mainly blind playthroughs and people have been recommending Paper Mario a ton lately, but there is almost no SMRPG support despite it being the first Mario RPG. I feel like if there was more modern LP presence, more attention would be put on the game.

D

Deleted member

I believe that, yes, something long-term being on the table is always great, but right now, we have to focus on the more immediate grabbing of numbers. Then, with more people on board, we can work on huge projects like fan animations and allow our numbers to spread these projects naturally, as while they're supporting Operation Starfall. Smaller inclusions like art and writing would also benefit hugely and would be able to happen more feasibly in the short term.

I am also in talks with LTP about getting an official Twitter set-up. As for a Discord, ain't that practically what the Star Road Discord server is for?

Also, @Zack E. , your summoning is really appreciated, too. The summoning circles have commenced...
Thank you :)

Speaking of summoning, I will summon:

Raider 88 Raider 88
and
Rapwned Rapwned

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
I think it would be a pretty cool idea to see every single boss and character in cutscenes using modern graphics like Bowyer, Croco, Johnathan Jones, Booster, Belome, Yaridovich, The Snifits, The Axem Rangers, Smithy, Valentina (and her Hey Arnold looking self), Dodo, Frogfucious, and even Exor would look nice too and the secret Culex fight would definitely be over the top. I also figure that each of the overworld enemies could use new animations and maybe different colors too. :grin:

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
I may not have many talents atm, but I am a bit of a think-tank: I generate ideas that my skills can't always follow through with.

I really think that getting a bunch of people that want to stream SMRPG to stream it on the anniversary is solid, and it seems that there may be an agreement here on that idea, so let me offer another one.

I know a lot of people have already talked about how they love SMRPG and what not, but I bet a lot of us have never made a video about it (I know I haven't). Youtube is the first that comes to mind, but what if on top of getting bunches of us fans to stream it we also drop multiple videos on the platforms we are familiar with talking about our love for it? You can get in as detail as you want about what you love, and you would have plenty of time to analyze and jot down what you love so you have a script if you feel you need one. It also gives you enough time to play through the game again extensively.

Just an idea.

owjies

Smash Journeyman
One thing that we should consider working on fairly soon is a branding / promotion package. We have a very nice logo so far, so we should expand that into posters, banners, avatars, icons, phone wallpapers, t-shirts, etc. We'll want something official for social media platforms as well as accessible images for people to throw in their forum sig or even wear out and about.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
That's the spirit! I was actually thinking about tagging you here since I've heard you talk about how you want to see Geno and Mallow revived elsewhere before they appear in Smash. Good to see we're in agreement!
Appreciate the thought! And trust me, I really do want to see more of these two in general Mario games. Geno missing out on Mario Galaxy was a shame, and it'd have been really neat to see a reference to Mallow in Odyssey's Cloud kingdom.

Hell, I'm STILL salty about the two of them missing out on Mario Sports Mix; Square's MARIO SPORTS GAME, literally the perfect time to get the two to make their debut sports title appearance. They didn't even get to appear in Mario 3 on 3 Hoops, and I think it's there that I became pretty damn cynical.

Also can I just point out how much I appreciate this isn't just to bring Geno back, but Mallow as well? They're a team and it's nice to see some support for the cloud prince too.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Also can I just point out how much I appreciate this isn't just to bring Geno back, but Mallow as well? They're a team and it's nice to see some support for the cloud prince too.
Even with Geno taking the limelight over the years, Mallow is still one of the first new faces you see in the game, besides Exor of course. Both Mallow and Geno are important.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
So I'm not the best with photoshop or anything, but I made this for a hosting for FighterZ at my house that didn't even happen. I also made something for a fictional shop on an RP site that I was trying to setup...which also didn't happen. Let me know if you like what you see, and maybe I could make something cool for this.

Attachments

Super_Queijo

Smash Apprentice
Dude (or dudette), excellent idea. I rarely use Reddit, so I can't say I'm any bit savvy with the etiquette and the climate, but if someone knows how to jumpstart something like that, I'm all ears.
I’m a dude hehehe
I do use Reddit, so I’m going to come up with a nice piece to post on target subreddits. Of the top of my head, I think r/nintendo, nintendoswitch, smashbros, mario, marioRPG, snes(maybe?).
If people know others subs, just suggest here. If someone else wanna help, you are welcome!

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord
Ideas for Animations?
- The Smash Bros (From N64) Intro with Geno in the Toybox
- Remake of "Rawest Forest"
- Geno animation where he grants all other characters wishes
- Bowser, P.Toadstool and Mario Reunion in Rose Town (or Forest Maze) after a Shooting Stars Rain told'em to
- Bowser, P.Toadstool and Mario wishing to see Mallow and Geno again, in silence

And I don't know more

Top Bottom