• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Operation Starfall: Bringing Life to SMRPG Again

D

Deleted member

The petition isn't all of it, my guy. There are people messaging prominent Youtubers that enjoy Geno to highlight this thread to their subscribers. When Erdrick gets announced on NoA's Twitter we'll probably get people to respond to it respectfully asking for Geno at some point. People are planning fangames and art as well. It's more than a petition.
While I doubt the chances of this plan succeeding, I must say to that the passion that some of you have for it is incredible, and I honestly believe it should succeed for that alone.

I wish you lot good luck on getting both Geno and Mallow into some newer Mario titles, and maybe even into Super Smash Bros.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
This thread and petition has absolutely exploded overnight, and everyone coming together as one to boost this is absolutely on-point. Just, MMM. Y'all doing some fine work already, and I hope I can help further the agenda as far as possible with everyone. I'm ready for this.

I'm going to address some points one at a time:

Here's a question: I'm pretty new to these boards so I'm not as familiar with the K. Rool campaign. Does anyone here know anyone in leadership from that group that we can talk to? We should do some research on what worked and what didn't work for them. That might be a good starting point.
That would be an excellent idea. Another idea that may be a bit of a stretch is reaching out to those in charge of Operation Rainfall and Moonfall, mainly to discuss tactics and to see what else we could possibly drum up. At the very least, researching their methods is already opening my eyes to many ways to take this. We've got to make this go above and beyond, and we can't let up at all on momentum.
Hey A.G.L. A.G.L. , would you like to join?

I will say, shouldn't this thread be linked on the first post of the Geno and Mallow thread and vice versa? Seems like good idea, if just for better ease for going where you want to go when it comes to SMRPG on Smashboards.
Absolutely. For that, we will need PsychoIncarnate PsychoIncarnate to do so, as they run both topics.

So we need to develop a project plan which means we need project managers. Each project manager will need to be in charge of a different task too. For the sake of focus, a mission statement (the ideal) and a vision statement (the pragmatic) should be agreed on. Once these are decided, then comes the task of skill evaluation and networking to get the most out of everyone involved.
Precisely. We already have a general idea, but we need to hammer out those fine details. I'm already seeing multiple people offering a variety of creative methods, and two in particular have already caught my eye. With Necro Toad Necro Toad and Xigger Xigger being game programmers and coders, we could create something of a fangame or an otherwise engaging fan program that could reach out to the public and increase visibility. It is also a massive show of passion if I've ever seen one.

With that being said, though, I do have my reservations about a fangame. On one hand, it is a quick way to garner Nintendo's ire and lawyers with a cease & desist stamp in their hands, but on the other, it would definitely garner their attention. I'd really like to avoid anything that could too negatively impact the campaign, though. There is a delicate line between a fruitful endeavor with sacrifice and a loss of integrity for the campaign. Risk and reward has to be balanced very carefully.

It will reach Square's ears if we get some famous people on Twitter (followers count) or important press sites to talk about it.
Maybe Wendy's official twitter would reply something about it? Maybe Netflix or other companies that joke about Smash speculation last months? Only one retweet or reply and Geno's petition could get huge, like truly huge!
That would absolutely be a huge asset to the cause, but we will have to start with smaller, yet still very influential figures to slowly build up and get to that level of attention. However, if we keep these avenues in mind, they would absolutely be a benefit to the cause. We just can't immediately jump on them just yet. Our voices have to congregate in larger numbers and be loud enough so that bigger corporations will hear us. Considering Netflix especially, that is by no means an easy feat and is incredibly lofty. It's something to keep in mind, but we have to be realistic with our ambitions, as well.

I’ve signed the petition. I’m sure this has been said before, but if we want more support, we need to get it on a platform bigger than just this site. We need a MUCH larger outreach. I think if anyone has a YouTube channel, post it on there and start a conversation. Tens and even hundreds of names is great, but it won’t create change.
Agreed. As mentioned, we have papagenos papagenos already agreeing to aid, and we know of a multitude of prominent Youtubers and popular people with a huge support for Geno. Alpharad, xD1x, and Sky Williams are just three of those names. I would even daresay that Chuggaaconroy, a huge SMRPG fan with a very popular SMRPG LP, would also be someone to consider reaching out to. Loopy Lupe, the one who made that hugely popular SMRPG color key recently, may also be someone to look at.

do you think we should tell the japanese SMRPG fans as well?
Yes. Absolutely. We need someone who is fluent in Japanese and has enough of an idea of the climate of the Eastern internet scene to at least get this started. If anyone knows someone who could fit that bill, please let me know.

You guys should know that petitions never work, especially when it comes to Nintendo.
Petitions alone won't. I absolutely agree. However, much like Rainfall and Moonfall before us, we have to take this to massive lengths beyond just a petition. The petition is mainly used as a supporter list that Nintendo and Square can readily see, and it is but a droplet in the pond of a huge endeavor. We will need far more than just that to realistically be able to push this forward.

Now, some direct mentions:

Necro Toad and Xigger, both of whom I already mentioned in this post: If you two want to come up with something coding-related, whether it's a fangame or no, I think sanctioning you two as project managers for game-related projects relating to the cause would be an excellent idea, should you choose to do so. Concepts for a fangame are things to be considered, and I think we can bounce off a lot of ideas in regards to that. I think a fangame or something of the sort particularly featuring Geno and Mallow as the lead protagonists would be excellent. However, the whole cease and desist nature of Nintendo is still a point of contention, and I can't say I'm 100% in on this idea just yet.

Papa Genos, the best way you would be able to assist us first and foremost is to absolutely use your connections to get this to spread. A video showcasing the operation and its goals are a primo way to start, as well as reaching out to any other names who may be able to get this out there with videos and social media postings of their own. Creative outlets, too, are something to highly consider.

Now, the goal of the petition: it is not a goal that I have personally set. The goal of 100 is an automatic number in place by Change.org, and it does not reflect what I believe will realistically be enough. In fact, I'd say it's VERY far from it. Rainfall required a large amount of cooperation, and Moonfall had tens of thousands of people showing their support. We need far greater numbers and far more contributions than just something a meager 100 people can accomplish. 100 is a good, tiny start, but we have to utilize that 100 to multiply it into the tens of thousands and beyond. We need to aim very high for this to succeed. We have to be that brutally real about this and fight accordingly.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
I was summoned! I signed. I'm in. Let's bring back the puppet!

D

Deleted member

I tried to get everyone to do this in the Geno thread, but we should replay SMRPG. Who has played it at least once and who hasn't played it at all?

I have played it twice and I am playing it the third time

Nicnac

Smash Ace
This thread and petition has absolutely exploded overnight, and everyone coming together as one to boost this is absolutely on-point. Just, MMM. Y'all doing some fine work already, and I hope I can help further the agenda as far as possible with everyone. I'm ready for this.

I'm going to address some points one at a time:

That would be an excellent idea. Another idea that may be a bit of a stretch is reaching out to those in charge of Operation Rainfall and Moonfall, mainly to discuss tactics and to see what else we could possibly drum up. At the very least, researching their methods is already opening my eyes to many ways to take this. We've got to make this go above and beyond, and we can't let up at all on momentum.

Absolutely. For that, we will need PsychoIncarnate PsychoIncarnate to do so, as they run both topics.

Precisely. We already have a general idea, but we need to hammer out those fine details. I'm already seeing multiple people offering a variety of creative methods, and two in particular have already caught my eye. With Necro Toad Necro Toad and Xigger Xigger being game programmers and coders, we could create something of a fangame or an otherwise engaging fan program that could reach out to the public and increase visibility. It is also a massive show of passion if I've ever seen one.

With that being said, though, I do have my reservations about a fangame. On one hand, it is a quick way to garner Nintendo's ire and lawyers with a cease & desist stamp in their hands, but on the other, it would definitely garner their attention. I'd really like to avoid anything that could too negatively impact the campaign, though. There is a delicate line between a fruitful endeavor with sacrifice and a loss of integrity for the campaign. Risk and reward has to be balanced very carefully.

That would absolutely be a huge asset to the cause, but we will have to start with smaller, yet still very influential figures to slowly build up and get to that level of attention. However, if we keep these avenues in mind, they would absolutely be a benefit to the cause. We just can't immediately jump on them just yet. Our voices have to congregate in larger numbers and be loud enough so that bigger corporations will hear us. Considering Netflix especially, that is by no means an easy feat and is incredibly lofty. It's something to keep in mind, but we have to be realistic with our ambitions, as well.

Agreed. As mentioned, we have papagenos papagenos already agreeing to aid, and we know of a multitude of prominent Youtubers and popular people with a huge support for Geno. Alpharad, xD1x, and Sky Williams are just three of those names. I would even daresay that Chuggaaconroy, a huge SMRPG fan with a very popular SMRPG LP, would also be someone to consider reaching out to. Loopy Lupe, the one who made that hugely popular SMRPG color key recently, may also be someone to look at.

Yes. Absolutely. We need someone who is fluent in Japanese and has enough of an idea of the climate of the Eastern internet scene to at least get this started. If anyone knows someone who could fit that bill, please let me know.

Petitions alone won't. I absolutely agree. However, much like Rainfall and Moonfall before us, we have to take this to massive lengths beyond just a petition. The petition is mainly used as a supporter list that Nintendo and Square can readily see, and it is but a droplet in the pond of a huge endeavor. We will need far more than just that to realistically be able to push this forward.

Now, some direct mentions:

Necro Toad and Xigger, both of whom I already mentioned in this post: If you two want to come up with something coding-related, whether it's a fangame or no, I think sanctioning you two as project managers for game-related projects relating to the cause would be an excellent idea, should you choose to do so. Concepts for a fangame are things to be considered, and I think we can bounce off a lot of ideas in regards to that. I think a fangame or something of the sort particularly featuring Geno and Mallow as the lead protagonists would be excellent. However, the whole cease and desist nature of Nintendo is still a point of contention, and I can't say I'm 100% in on this idea just yet.

Papa Genos, the best way you would be able to assist us first and foremost is to absolutely use your connections to get this to spread. A video showcasing the operation and its goals are a primo way to start, as well as reaching out to any other names who may be able to get this out there with videos and social media postings of their own. Creative outlets, too, are something to highly consider.

Now, the goal of the petition: it is not a goal that I have personally set. The goal of 100 is an automatic number in place by Change.org, and it does not reflect what I believe will realistically be enough. In fact, I'd say it's VERY far from it. Rainfall required a large amount of cooperation, and Moonfall had tens of thousands of people showing their support. We need far greater numbers and far more contributions than just something a meager 100 people can accomplish. 100 is a good, tiny start, but we have to utilize that 100 to multiply it into the tens of thousands and beyond. We need to aim very high for this to succeed. We have to be that brutally real about this and fight accordingly.
I've emailed Alpharad at business@alpharad.tv asking him to please support us. Hopefully more people do the same!

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
Hey A.G.L. A.G.L. , would you like to join?

I will say, shouldn't this thread be linked on the first post of the Geno and Mallow thread and vice versa? Seems like good idea, if just for better ease for going where you want to go when it comes to SMRPG on Smashboards.
Sure im not sure what this thread is, but you definitely have my support my friend and glad to be aboard.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
One more note that I need to bring up is to please campaign responsibly and do not spread negativity towards Nintendo, Square, or people who are either not fans of Geno or are bigger fans of other Square properties. Behaving with vitriol is something that will not help our campaign one bit, and anyone who decides to act out of line will not have their behavior considered representative of the cause. Please behave like adults and be civil, everyone! Thank you!

D

Deleted member

Also Contacted Alpharad from his business Email, I personally suggest people should go ahead and contact him or any of the others like Sky or D1.

Edit: But as a courtesy, Please be Civil it's what Geno would want.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Memes? I could do that. We do need memes on our side as they're simple to understand and are very easy to share around that's why a lot of 4ch raids and stuff are successful.

edit: Though I don't know exactly what the meme is or what it could be..

Last edited by a moderator:

Grunky Peep

Smash Journeyman
I tried to get everyone to do this in the Geno thread, but we should replay SMRPG. Who has played it at least once and who hasn't played it at all?

Haven't ever played Super Mario RPG, just thought he was a cool character.

Super_Queijo

Smash Apprentice
Is someone organizing a massive reddit marketing? We might get a lot of followers if we hit the right subreddits.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
One more note that I need to bring up is to please campaign responsibly and do not spread negativity towards Nintendo, Square, or people who are either not fans of Geno or are bigger fans of other Square properties. Behaving with vitriol is something that will not help our campaign one bit, and anyone who decides to act out of line will not have their behavior considered representative of the cause. Please behave like adults and be civil, everyone! Thank you!
This. We already have enough folks hating on Geno fans for no good reason, more bad press is the absolute last thing we need at this critical juncture.

owjies

Smash Journeyman
I think this article is worth a read: https://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08/13/where-mario-luigi-dream-team-and-super-mario-rpg-collide

It gives a pretty good insight into some of the creative choices Alpha Dream has made for the Mario & Luigi series as well as how the timed hits mechanic has evolved. Geno and Mallow are also specifically brought up. There's definitely some affection for those characters within Alpha Dream still, but I also get the feeling that cameos and references are the most they intend for them.

I feel like this is what we're up against in a way. I respect their desire to create new stories and characters with each Mario & Luigi title, but I also think there's a lot of potential within the old school SMRPG world. We need to show Nintendo & Square that there's something special about SMRPG beyond nostalgia. There's unfinished business with this world they created.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Is someone organizing a massive reddit marketing? We might get a lot of followers if we hit the right subreddits.
Dude (or dudette), excellent idea. I rarely use Reddit, so I can't say I'm any bit savvy with the etiquette and the climate, but if someone knows how to jumpstart something like that, I'm all ears.

I think this article is worth a read: https://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08/13/where-mario-luigi-dream-team-and-super-mario-rpg-collide

It gives a pretty good insight into some of the creative choices Alpha Dream has made for the Mario & Luigi series as well as how the timed hits mechanic has evolved. Geno and Mallow are also specifically brought up. There's definitely some affection for those characters within Alpha Dream still, but I also get the feeling that cameos and references are the most they intend for them.

I feel like this is what we're up against in a way. I respect their desire to create new stories and characters with each Mario & Luigi title, but I also think there's a lot of potential within the old school SMRPG world. We need to show Nintendo & Square that there's something special about SMRPG beyond nostalgia. There's unfinished business with this world they created.
I know that Alpha Dream has gone on record at least a couple of times to say that they'd love to utilize both Mallow and Geno again. I think swaying them isn't so much the problem at hand, but swaying the big N and especially Square. If AD doesn't have the ability and cooperation to use those assets, then their affections and aspirations for those characters are moot point. Very insightful nonetheless!

D

Deleted member

How to convince Square to do something beneficial:

MONEY

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
How to convince Square to do something beneficial:

MONEY
That's the dream. Show Square Enix that Geno is where the money is.

Because he is, let's be honest. It's just that some of his fans are less vocal than others. I strongly believe that the silent majority stands with Geno, we just need to get that silent majority to get out there and take action.

Xigger

Smash Lord
So we need to develop a project plan which means we need project managers. Each project manager will need to be in charge of a different task too. For the sake of focus, a mission statement (the ideal) and a vision statement (the pragmatic) should be agreed on. Once these are decided, then comes the task of skill evaluation and networking to get the most out of everyone involved.
Definitely. Management will be extra crucial simply because many of us have jobs and social obligations.

I agree about the fangame, they usually get taken down especially with Nintendo. A fan animation would definitely be a safer route, much like the amazing Majora's Mask fan video.

That said, one of the safest routes for a "fan" game would be a spiritual successor, like Might No. 9 or Yooka & Laylee, but then encourage modding to allow patches for sprite/model swaps. It's the most DMCA-proof solution for a game.

Last edited:

FurretBro

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FurretBro

Played it, finished it, and wouldn't mind playing it again.

owjies

Smash Journeyman
Dude (or dudette), excellent idea. I rarely use Reddit, so I can't say I'm any bit savvy with the etiquette and the climate, but if someone knows how to jumpstart something like that, I'm all ears.

I know that Alpha Dream has gone on record at least a couple of times to say that they'd love to utilize both Mallow and Geno again. I think swaying them isn't so much the problem at hand, but swaying the big N and especially Square. If AD doesn't have the ability and cooperation to use those assets, then their affections and aspirations for those characters are moot point. Very insightful nonetheless!
Agreed. However, what I mean is that the article provides an example of the mentality that's holding Geno back I believe. I fear that Nintendo and Square see Spirits, for example, as enough representation. While we're grateful for these nods, we need to prove to them that they're not the end goal. We need to show that the fanbase infrastructure is there to support playable content and hopefully a new game.

TooManyToastahs

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2063-0575-6789
Switch FC
SW-8520-5670-4041
I’ll definey run that petition by to some (or pretty much all since I annoy them with my constant Geno praise lmao) of my friends today.

I’ll keep watching this project closely. Don’t hesitate to let me know if you need my help, my strengths are in formatting and writing digitally, so if you need something that involves that, I’m always ready.

TBone06

Smash Ace
Ovaltine Ovaltine I bet you BillyBo would be on board too. He has never played SMRPG, but he actively supported Geno. I think it could be worthwhile throwing him a note. Plus, I’m sure he has ideas from what the Isaac bros did for Golden Sun.

SpeedBirds

Smash Rookie
I never played SMRPG at all... But I think I'm well informed enough to say that Geno have a huge moveset potential, is wanted by many, and deserve to see the light of the day once more and I'll do everything I can to assemble many people under this banner. Together we'll make it happen, we will fight and we'll pull off the miracle needed for the return of our beloved universe. The battle begins now and won't end until we accomplish our objective.:drflip:

Rikarte

Smash Ace
Hey there everyone! Been lurking around in the original Geno thread since page 104 or so and Operation Starfall finally convinced me to make an account.
Seeing such a passionate fanbase is truely inspiring, you guys have my full support for this!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I never played SMRPG at all... But I think I'm well informed enough to say that Geno have a huge moveset potential, is wanted by many, and deserve to see the light of the day once more and I'll do everything I can to assemble many people under this banner. Together we'll make it happen, we will fight and we'll pull off the miracle needed for the return of our beloved universe. The battle begins now and won't end until we accomplish our objective.:drflip:
PLAY SUPER MARIO RPG

Hey there everyone! Been lurking around in the original Geno thread since page 104 or so and Operation Starfall finally convinced me to make an account.
Seeing such a passionate fanbase is truely inspiring, you guys have my full support for this!
Welcome! :)

SniperGabe

Smash Cadet
I've never played SMRPG, but that's cause I don't own an SNES, hopefully SNES games come out for Switch Online soon!

Top Bottom