• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Operation Starfall: Bringing Life to SMRPG Again

D

Deleted member

You know, I want to run something by this thread that I asked in the Seven Squares thread.

Now obviously, our goal is the Mario side of things, but this is worth thinking about. Could Square do things with these character's that does not require Nintendo's involvement?
I hope so. Ngl, Geno referenced in KH would be sick

Ovaltine

Smash Master
You know, I want to run something by this thread that I asked in the Seven Squares thread.

Now obviously, our goal is the Mario side of things, but this is worth thinking about. Could Square do things with these character's that does not require Nintendo's involvement?
Apart from cameos, I sincerely doubt it. Anything major would require the Mario universe because of how tied they are to it. Mallow is from a species of cloud that already existed in the Mario series (those smiley-faced nimbus friends) before he was made. Geno is a star spirit from Star Road, which existed from before SMRPG (as Star Road in Super Mario World). Their existences revolve around those Mario-grounded concepts.

That being said, I could see them finagle a bit with Geno and retconning him to be non-Mario with a similar purpose, but... I honestly don't want that. It gets rid of some of the pizzazz he has, you know?

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Apart from cameos, I sincerely doubt it. Anything major would require the Mario universe because of how tied they are to it. Mallow is from a species of cloud that already existed in the Mario series (those smiley-faced nimbus friends) before he was made. Geno is a star spirit from Star Road, which existed from before SMRPG (as Star Road in Super Mario World). Their existences revolve around those Mario-grounded concepts.

That being said, I could see them finagle a bit with Geno and retconning him to be non-Mario with a similar purpose, but... I honestly don't want . It gets rid of some of the pizzazz he has, you know?
By no means do I see them inserting in Geno and Mallow like they could be if they returned to the Mario universe, but I do wonder if Square would use the characters in more indirect ways, especially if the characters returned to limelight in some way. Stuff like costumes, refrences, etc. Heck, this whole topic came about because of me seeing Nekoo Nekoo 's Sora Geno art and really thinking about if it could ever happen.

Edit:
Here are some quotes for context, just in case.
I was lookin around for a Geno avatar and I found the best picture ever.

New avatar found.
Oh! Hey! Thanks! I'm glad you all enjoyed my edit. Yeah, I'm the one who made that one, but I'm happy you guys like it, and feel free to use it! I have no issue!

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
By no means do I see them inserting in Geno and Mallow like they could be if they returned to the Mario universe, but I do wonder if Square would use the characters in more indirect ways, especially if the characters returned to limelight in some way. Stuff like costomes, refrences, etc. Heck, this whole topic came about because of me seeing Nekoo Nekoo 's Sora Geno art and really thinking about if it could ever happen.
That would be cool. That being said, though, by all means, I really wouldn't want that to be the only thing they did with them. If that was, like, a bonus alongside them making a return to their home series, great. If it wasn't, I mean, I'd... be grateful to see it, but it really wouldn't be enough. Revival first, other uses second.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
That would be cool. That being said, though, by all means, I really wouldn't want that to be the only thing they did with them. If that was, like, a bonus alongside them making a return to their home series, great. If it wasn't, I mean, I'd... be grateful to see it, but it really wouldn't be enough. Revival first, other uses second.
I think it would just be a natural thing they would do because of a SMRPG revival. If Square still owns the characters when Nintendo is reviving the characters, Square would have ample opportunity to use the character's and their new relevance in any way they see fit.

Edit:
Anyway, I want to get in on that idea discussion that happened earlier, and it does kinda relate back to Square. What if we had art and such of a variety of Nintendo and Square characters voicing their support of SMRPG to come back? Be it through some humerus dialogue, them wearing SMRPG related cloth like the Sora art above, or some other method of support. It would be nice crossover art and could represent the two companies as a whole in their modern state. Idk, might be a silly idea, but I think it would be neat.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I think it would just be a natural thing they would do because of a SMRPG revival. If Square still owns the characters when Nintendo is reviving the characters, Square would have ample opportunity to use the character's and their new relevance in any way they see fit.

Edit:
Anyway, I want to get in on that idea discussion that happened earlier, and it does kinda relate back to Square. What if we had art and such of a variety of Nintendo and Square characters voicing their support of SMRPG to come back? Be it through some humerus dialogue, them wearing SMRPG related cloth like the Sora art above, or some other method of support. It would be nice crossover art and could represent the two companies as a whole in their modern state. Idk, might be a silly idea, but I think it would be neat.
I really like this idea, actually

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I really like this idea, actually
I will say, an art piece that would also be a good example for this idea is that one piece where the Smash Bros. cast is asked who the strongest fighter in Smash bros. I would link it, but I can't find it.

D

Deleted member

I will say, an art piece that would also be a good example for this idea is that one piece where the Smash Bros. cast is asked who the strongest fighter in Smash bros. I would link it, but I can't find it.
I think I've seen some fanart of Smash like that before.

I think I really liked it too, and I'd love if we could so something like that for Geno and Mallow

Last edited by a moderator:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I think I've seen some fanart of Smash like that before.

I think I really liked it too, and I love if we could so something like that for Geno and Mallow
It was rather popular, so it would make sense if you saw that art. I just wish I knew where to find it.

Anyway, if we were to go with the companies support idea(I guess that is what I will call it), what would be good candidates and how could they represent SMRPG? Link and Samus had cameos in SMRPG, so art of them in support would make sense as major Nintendo candidates. Mario in a strange way helped influence Kingdom Hearts and it's creation(No, seriously), so that would be great. Final Fantasy would naturally get in on the action, considering what Culex is supposed to represent.

D

Deleted member

It was rather popular, so it would make sense if you saw that art. I just wish I knew where to find it.

Anyway, if we were to go with the companies support idea(I guess that is what I will call it), what would be good candidates and how could they represent SMRPG? Link and Samus had cameos in SMRPG, so art of them in support would make sense as major Nintendo candidates. Mario in a strange way helped influence Kingdom Hearts and it's creation(No, seriously), so that would be great. Final Fantasy would naturally get in on the action, considering what Culex is supposed to represent.
There are a lot of good choices.

What you said (Link, Samus, Sora maybe, Cloud or other FF characters), Wario (since he resembles Booster), all the Yoshis (since they were in SMRPG), Kirby because of all the stars (lol), like the singing star and the star that possesses Geno, Rosalina and Luma for reasons we've stated before....again, there are a lot of good choices

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
There are a lot of good choices.

What you said (Link, Samus, Sora maybe, Cloud or other FF characters), Wario (since he resembles Booster), all the Yoshis (since they were in SMRPG), Kirby because of all the stars (lol), like the singing star and the star that possesses Geno, Rosalina and Luma for reasons we've stated before....again, there are a lot of good choices
Of course, but some of those are already Mario representatives, so those were always going to happen.

I will say, if this does become part of the plan, Mario characters interacting with SMRPG should take higher precedence over any other Nintendo or Square series interacting. It's always cool to see crossover art, but the Mario stuff is important to showcase what modern SMRPG representation could be like. Still think both should be done, but it's good to set priorities.

Edit:
Question, how do we feel about Warioware and it's characters? They are technically apart of the Mario universe, but they don't get any spinoff recognition, the place where we are supposed to show the SMRPG characters interacting with the modern Mario representatives.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Of course, but some of those are already Mario representatives, so those were always going to happen.

I will say, if this does become part of the plan, Mario characters interacting with SMRPG should take higher precedence over any other Nintendo or Square series interacting. It's always cool to see crossover art, but the Mario stuff is important to showcase what modern SMRPG representation could be like. Still think both should be done, but it's good to set priorities.

Edit:
Question, how do we feel about Warioware and it's characters? They are technically apart of the Mario universe, but they don't get any spinoff recognition, the place where we are supposed to show the SMRPG characters interacting with the modern Mario representatives.
I haven't played Warioware but I think it's characters are cool.

It would be interesting to see them interact with Booster, Valentina, and Dodo (I kinda feel like those characters remind me of Warioware lol)

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I haven't played Warioware but I think it's characters are cool.

It would be interesting to see them interact with Booster, Valentina, and Dodo (I kinda feel like those characters remind me of Warioware lol)
As an Ashley supporter, I can't help but think that Ashley would dress up as Geno and Mallow. All three wield magic, and Ashley has had quite the cosplay experience, if the Badge Arcade was any indication.

D

Deleted member

As an Ashley supporter, I can't help but think that Ashley would dress up as Geno and Mallow. All three wield magic, and Ashley has had quite the cosplay experience, if the Badge Arcade was any indication.

I forgot to mention that in my post, but yeah, Ashley would be really cool too, interacting with Mallow and Geno

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Hey, should the new SMRPG reference in the PP PG be noted somewhere? It would be a great showcase of how SMRPG can still appear nowadays, even if it is a minor reference.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Hey, should the new SMRPG reference in the PP PG be noted somewhere? It would be a great showcase of how SMRPG can still appear nowadays, even if it is a minor reference.
Hmm, good question. I'm not entirely sure. What do y'all think? After all, it isn't like minor references like these are the goal, and I don't want any misinterpretation should, by some grace, Nintendo and Square hear our voices.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Woah, wait, what reference? :0
Two, actually.

1) The classic mode end photo shows five singing Piranha Plants, much like the Japanese SMRPG commercial, and,
2) Viridi in PP's guidance mentions Megasmilax, a Square-copyrighted name for a PP boss in SMRPG.

Very neat stuff!

catsforlife1

Smash Journeyman
Two, actually.

1) The classic mode end photo shows five singing Piranha Plants, much like the Japanese SMRPG commercial, and,
2) Viridi in PP's guidance mentions Megasmilax, a Square-copyrighted name for a PP boss in SMRPG.

Very neat stuff!
Oh really? Thats pretty cool.

D

Deleted member

The Megasmilax name drop was certainly interesting. While it's not necessarily out of nowhere as they were lifting off basically every piranha plant ever, it's something to think about... is it considered such a minor thing that SE doesn't even care or did they go out of their way just for that or did they have blanket usage for SMRPG assets or what?
Well I guess only time will tell.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
The Megasmilax name drop was certainly interesting. While it's not necessarily out of nowhere as they were lifting off basically every piranha plant ever, it's something to think about... is it considered such a minor thing that SE doesn't even care or did they go out of their way just for that or did they have blanket usage for SMRPG assets or what?
I can only theorize that they got some kind of umbrella agreement for SMRPG's rights in Ultimate to pepper these little things in there. Whether it means anything or not is anyone's guess, but it is very nice to have those nods. It gives me hope for the future!

Xigger

Smash Lord
That actually brings up a good point about the copyrights concerning SMRPG: the general consensus is that Square owns everything not pre-existing, especially due to the copyright notice in Superstar Saga, but the copyright laws are iffy and vary from country to country. Some countries give copyright to the owner of the media, while others give it to the content creators. The 3(?) piranha-plant enemies are clearly Mario-inspired characters, so it would be simple for Nintendo to claim them without a second thought. But other creations specific only to SMRPG is still in a gray area. Me personally, I would love to see the cases settled for the most gray-area cases, like the common enemy Chained Kong. He could be Donkey-Kong inspired, or could be argued as a typical ape, and the name Kong cannot be copyrighted either.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
By no means do I see them inserting in Geno and Mallow like they could be if they returned to the Mario universe, but I do wonder if Square would use the characters in more indirect ways, especially if the characters returned to limelight in some way. Stuff like costumes, refrences, etc. Heck, this whole topic came about because of me seeing Nekoo Nekoo 's Sora Geno art and really thinking about if it could ever happen.

Edit:
Here are some quotes for context, just in case.
Probably. I remember that World of Final Fantasy actually had the Einhander in it, which was surprising since that game seldom ever got any acknowledgement.

Edit:
Given the way Nintendo works about which Mario-related properties their separate departments would rather work on, it's no wonder there's nothing being done for WW characters unless something major happens (like how Pauline migrated to the main Marioverse once Mario Vs. Donkey Kong stopped getting sequels).

That being said, I like that bunch, particularly a certain fashionista.

mbvswb

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 4561 1118 2914
Multiple SMRPG references in SSBU
Final Fantasy VII being used in a Switch commercial.
Its time.

D

Deleted member

I love the SMRPG references as well. Hopefully it means something good for Geno in Smash.

Multiple SMRPG references in SSBU
Final Fantasy VII being used in a Switch commercial.
Its time.
I hope, man

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
So while at Genesis 6, I spoke with D1 regarding OSF. For context if you arent sure, D1 is a professional Smash Ultimate/Melee caster that has worked at numerous Nintendo events including ARMS, Splatoon, Pokken and Smash Bros to name a few. He is most recognized for being the guy to shoot SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT during the E3 invitational for Smash 4. He is also one of Geno's most vocal supporters.

He has agreed to provide us a plug to our website and petition when everything is set and presentable. I have you guys covered on the competitive exposure side.

If there is anything else you would like for me to do, please let me know.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So while at Genesis 6, I spoke with D1 regarding OSF. For context if you arent sure, D1 is a professional Smash Ultimate/Melee caster that has worked at numerous Nintendo events including ARMS, Splatoon, Pokken and Smash Bros to name a few. He is most recognized for being the guy to shoot SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT during the E3 invitational for Smash 4. He is also one of Geno's most vocal supporters.

He has agreed to provide us a plug to our website and petition when everything is set and presentable. I have you guys covered on the competitive exposure side.

Thanks! That will definitely help a lot

Ovaltine

Smash Master

Oh my god, that is huge! SSGuy, you absolute madman!

Pikacraft64 Pikacraft64 How is the site coming along? I may take the reins or have someone else do so if we can't expedite this. Sorry if I sound like I'm rushing, but this has me really excited. This could be the big break we've been reaching for!

catsforlife1

Smash Journeyman

Thats amazing. Great work SSGuy

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Thanks! That will definitely help a lot

Pikacraft64 Pikacraft64 How is the site coming along? I may take the reins or have someone else do so if we can't expedite this. Sorry if I sound like I'm rushing, but this has me really excited. This could be the big break we've been reaching for!
Thats amazing. Great work SSGuy
Of course!

You're very welcome. I'm lucky he is good at recognizing players. Even middle of the road guys like me.

He's very approachable and he says he appreciates us holding out like this.

Last edited:

catsforlife1

Smash Journeyman
Of course!

You're very welcome. I'm lucky he is good at recognizing players. Even middle of the road guys like me.

He's very approachable and he says he appreciates us holding out like this.
Huh, sounds like a cool guy.

Pikacraft64

Smash Rookie

I don’t think I can do it. I’ve got projects galore, and I’ve had midterms these past 2 weeks. I might try again today but I dunno what I’ll be able to do. I’m sorry.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I don’t think I can do it. I’ve got projects galore, and I’ve had midterms these past 2 weeks. I might try again today but I dunno what I’ll be able to do. I’m sorry.
In that case, would you be able to hand over domain ownership to someone else? I'd likely be able to handle it without a problem. Web design isn't unknown to me by any means.

D

Deleted member

What is everyone's favorite enemy in SMRPG?

Top Bottom