• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Operation Starfall: Bringing Life to SMRPG Again

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Coincidentally, there's 7 SMRPG related prizes at AGDQ this year, including a Geno hat and a fully functional Geno doll apparently.

https://gamesdonequick.com/tracker/prizes/25

Remember to donate later tonight. The website automatically coverts the time zone for you so for most of us in the Midwest, the SMRPG run starts at about 8:30 PM.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Okay, with goal 2 and 3 being merged, it would be much more like this. How's this look to everyone?

GOAL 2! Bring Geno and Mallow into Nintendo's mainstream again! This means featuring them in main Mario games (even if only as main RPG characters and not the 3D platformers), spinoffs (think Strikers, Party, Kart, Tennis, etc.), and even beyond! (For beyond, think of further Squeenix and Nintendo crossovers, as well as other, general Nintendo crossovers, none the least of which would be more representation in Smash Bros.!)
Thanks so much for the critique, by the way. I'm always open to changes, tweaks, suggestions, etc. for the operation!

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
Coincidentally, there's 7 SMRPG related prizes at AGDQ this year, including a Geno hat and a fully functional Geno doll apparently.

Remember to donate later tonight. The website automatically coverts the time zone for you so for most of us in the Midwest, the SMRPG run starts at about 8:30 PM.
He looks pretty cool. :grin:

D

Deleted member

Sorry I'm late. I spent the weekend moving and unpacking. But I'm here now and I've signed and shared it.
Welcome :)

I never expected to see another fan of Chuggaconroy here as well xD
I love his LPs. Especially his Super Mario RPG, Paper Mario, Mario and Luigi, and Mother LPs.

Actually just started a new game of it myself. Feels so good to play on the SNES. :)
Same. Super Mario RPG and EB are by far my favorite games on the SNES. I might love Chrono Trigger as well

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Here's a brainstorming idea, who is the most popular SMRPG fan you can think of? It's good to keep these people in mind as we grow in numbers.

D

Deleted member

Here's a brainstorming idea, who is the most popular SMRPG fan you can think of? It's good to keep these people in mind as we grow in numbers.
McJuggerNuggets

Last edited by a moderator:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
The biggest I can think of is SMG4. I mean, he has never said he was a fan from what I can recall, but he uses SMRPG music a lot.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Hey guys! I've seen the critique in regards to the campaign being too Geno-focused, and frankly, I agree. I'll be changing up the wording of the third goal in both the petition page and the main OP, and I highly encourage everyone (myself included) to shift the focus away from just Geno and onto other characters. I know he's a favorite of ours, but there is so much to love about this game!

EDIT: "Bring Geno and Mallow into spin-offs and other Nintendo media! From Tennis and Kart to Strikers and Sluggers, we'd love to see them in further games!"

Goal three has been changed to this. It's very all-encompassing, so we can still include Smash rep in that umbrella, but it broadens our goal significantly.
I think this might be a good direction. Wanting to revive Geno and Mallow as characters in the Super Mario games/sports titles spinoffs makes it seem less like a knee jerk reaction to the Grinch leak ending up being bupkus and more something people want to see happen because they love the characters and wish to reintegrate them into the series.

I feel this is the better route to take and makes people more sympathetic to the cause than focusing on Geno in Smash as the end goal.

Makes it more of a "Please bring these characters back as we adore them and want to see their revival even in some small way".

-----

Now for a topic:

If SMRPG does get remade, is there anything from modern Mario you'd like to see integrated into the story?

D

Deleted member

I think this might be a good direction. Wanting to revive Geno and Mallow as characters in the Super Mario games/sports titles spinoffs makes it seem less like a knee jerk reaction to the Grinch leak ending up being bupkus and more something people want to see happen because they love the characters and wish to reintegrate them into the series.

I feel this is the better route to take and makes people more sympathetic to the cause than focusing on Geno in Smash as the end goal.

Makes it more of a "Please bring these characters back as we adore them and want to see their revival even in some small way".

-----

Now for a topic:

If SMRPG does get remade, is there anything from modern Mario you'd like to see integrated into the story?
Rosalina and the Lumas

Rikarte

Smash Ace
Uhhh, PeanutButterGamer maybe? He put Mario RPG in his top 10 favorite games list AND stated that he would like to see Geno in Smash.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
She would. She could tie into the star road, and he lumas interact with the star that possesses Geno, and it would be awesome
Actually, this reminded me of something. In the art made for this campaign, how are we going to treat character's outside of SMRPG? Obviously all the art should somehow be related to SMRPG, but would we occasionally include characters from modern Mario?

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Actually, this reminded me of something. In the art made for this campaign, how are we going to treat character's outside of SMRPG? Obviously all the art should somehow be related to SMRPG, but would we occasionally include characters from modern Mario?
Absolutely. I say that, as long as the SMRPG assets of the artwork are the focal point or a large part of the piece, modern Mario characters would be wonderful in art pieces. It would show how much we want these worlds to collide.

I particularly love the idea of Rosalina being Geno's 'higher authority' or at least related to him in some way. Mallow, god, I could see all kinds of neat interactions with him and so many modern characters. If only Wart was still in the modern eye, because Mallow vs. Wart would be so sick. (I know, I know, subcon / dream world stuff, but still!)

ETA: OH HECK NO I HAVE TO ADD. IMAGINE MALLOW GOING ON ADVENTURES WITH CAPTAIN TOAD. That'd be so cute and Mallow could add some super neat gimmicks to the Captain Toad series, wow.

Last edited:

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
I think if anything, the hashtag for the revival should be something like #SMRePG or #ReSMRPG. Something that says we want a Re-make or Re-vival. Or y'know #OperationStarfall or if that's too long #OPStarfall

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Oh wow, I can't believe that we already have over 900 signatures!
At the rate this is going, by the time we start sending letters for SMRPG's anniversary, we'll have a massive amount of people on board. The fact that this is happening just so fast and it hasn't even been a week yet is... amazing. This is a huge opportunity! Even if it doesn't work, I'll be very proud to say that we are doing all we can!

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
I don't want to jinx (hehe) it or anything, but i'm actually NOT surprised at how fast this is growing. Geno has had a ton of support all over the internet since even before Brawl and people really seem to resonate with his design. If anything, i'm surprised it to us, the biggest community behind him, this long to rally behind a revival for him.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643

What do I need to do to get that Geno hat? I really want it lol

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I don't want to jinx (hehe) it or anything, but i'm actually NOT surprised at how fast this is growing. Geno has had a ton of support all over the internet since even before Brawl and people really seem to resonate with his design. If anything, i'm surprised it to us, the biggest community behind him, this long to rally behind a revival for him.
Honestly, I'm of the opinion that this is what should have been done in the first place. I know a lot of people want him for Smash, myself included, but there is more to SMRPG than Geno. On top of that, this should be the first step before he gets to Smash, at least in my brutal opinion. I'm surprised it took this long, and I don't know how much longer it would have taken if someone didn't step up.

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
Super Mario RPG and EB are by far my favorite games on the SNES. I might love Chrono Trigger as well
It’s a shame that Chrono Trigger isn’t on the SNES Classic though, Final Fantasy III (Final Fantasy VI) and Secret of Mana are my other favorites besides SMRPG and Earthbound/Mother series, since original carts for them are out of my price range, I just buy reproduction carts and downloaded some of the classics from the Eshop, which I still have on an SD card on my Wii U. :grin:

Besides a remake of SMRPG, I’d love to see a new Earthbound game or remake of Mother 2 (Earthbound) but it’s not looking like it :urg: but I’d also settle for a trilogy collection on the Switch. Earthbound Beginnings was one of my favorite games on the Wii U, even though it’s kinda old.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Unfortunately I moved from IL to TX in Dec and have yet to get a job since mid-Dec as I basically moved in Christmas week, so I have no money to donate as much as I would like to.

If any of us here win a cool prize, you have to show it off. Also, SMRPGamers, this marks the beginning of something amazing perhaps.

D

Deleted member

It’s a shame that Chrono Trigger isn’t on the SNES Classic though, Final Fantasy III (Final Fantasy VI) and Secret of Mana are my other favorites besides SMRPG and Earthbound/Mother series, since original carts for them are out of my price range, I just buy reproduction carts and downloaded some of the classics from the Eshop, which I still have on an SD card on my Wii U. :grin:

Besides a remake of SMRPG, I’d love to see a new Earthbound game or remake of Mother 2 (Earthbound) but it’s not looking like it :urg: but I’d also settle for a trilogy collection on the Switch. Earthbound Beginnings was one of my favorite games on the Wii U, even though it’s kinda old.
I am dying for a remake of the 3 Mother games on Switch. I think it could happen since next year is the 30th anniversary of the Mother series.

But I'm derailing the discussion lol. What is your favorite music track in SMRPG besides Forest Maze and Goodbye Geno?

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
I am dying for a remake of the 3 Mother games on Switch. I think it could happen since next year is the 30th anniversary of the Mother series.

But I'm derailing the discussion lol. What is your favorite music track in SMRPG besides Forest Maze and Goodbye Geno?
Here’s Some Weapons would probably be one of my favorites.

D

Deleted member

Here’s Some Weapons would probably be one of my favorites.
That's a good one.

For me, either Battle Against Smithy, Fight Against a Somewhat Stronger Monster, or Conversation with Culex (right after you beat him)

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett

Smithy Phase 1. That song just plain slaps. Easily my favorite track in the game, even more than either of the ones you mentioned.

D

Deleted member

Smithy Phase 1. That song just plain slaps. Easily my favorite track in the game, even more than either of the ones you mentioned.
It is awesome. I can just imagine what it is like remastered, in Ultimate, or in a remake of SMRPG. Mouthwatering.

Last edited by a moderator:

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord

Let's do the fluff-fluff!
Slope
Sunken Ship
Going shopping in ripple town
Smithy Tracks
my favs <3

Slender

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SlenderSphere
Switch FC
SW-3978-2307-5490
I have a bit of a proposition for you, Ovaltine Ovaltine .
We have this SMRPG-centered Discord server that had the goal of support for Geno in Smash, but maybe we could extend this idea to Starfall? Only subtle changes in the server would have to be made for it to be suited to this project. What do you say?

2 - g7rvc2R.png

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I have a bit of a proposition for you, Ovaltine Ovaltine .
We have this SMRPG-centered Discord server that had the goal of support for Geno in Smash, but maybe we could extend this idea to Starfall? Only subtle changes in the server would have to be made for it to be suited to this project. What do you say?

View attachment 186108
If putting on this hat means that I approve of this idea, I will put on the hat.

(Also, I need to actually join the Discord, h-haha... Darn shyness!)

Potatu

Smash Apprentice
Some of my favorite tracks are Let's Go Down The Wine River and My Name's Booster.

Lime3037

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1521 3002 4745
So I stopped by Walmart after work today, and I found an official Mario encyclopedia celebrating his 30th Anniversary (my Walmart sucks, so no one realizes that that was almost 5 years ago, and yet they just got the book.) Unfortunately, the main articles are the main games, so Super Mario RPG isn't covered. HOWEVER, there is brief mention in the very, very long index that mentions any game that has ever involved Mario in some way.

It's cool in a time capsule kind of way, as we went from having mere mentions to having full on Nintendo acknowledging its existence via Twitter.
Here's hoping we get even further than that!!

Edit: The 3/4 Stars means "Mario's involvement in the game" which...makes no sense, as you play as him the entire game. Why they left out a star is beyond me.

Attachments

Last edited:

AugustusB

Smash Champion
We already have 700+ signatures? That's Great! Also I'm almost finished with the big letter I was writing. I just need to know, what does Super Mario RPG mean to all of you what are your experiences with it? I need it for the letter as I am compiling what Super Mario RPG means to all of us along with whoever wants to be on it's signatures.
Dang, doing some great work!

I played SMRPG for the first time in September of 2018. I grew up with a lot of RPGs in my childhood and yet never touched this hidden gem. I started it up...and was immediately taken in by it's charm. This was the first time we saw the Mushroom Kingdom with life in it. No longer starting in a new world, get to a castle, save the princess (toad), repeat. Now it was these citizens of the Kingdom had personality and an air of realness to them. You could potentially relate to a given character in the story. Mallow resonated with me not because he didn't know his parents, but because he was in turn finding himself while on this journey.

In short, this game means a lot to me and should not be forgotten by anyone. This was a love letter made by Nintendo and Square that brought life to the Mushroom Kingdom.

Slender

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SlenderSphere
Switch FC
SW-3978-2307-5490
If putting on this hat means that I approve of this idea, I will put on the hat.

(Also, I need to actually join the Discord, h-haha... Darn shyness!)
Everything's set up, I've notified the server of it's shift, and we're just waiting for you! :dr^_^:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Speaking of ChuggaConroy. He a fairly large youtube that is a big Super Mario RPG fan. Someone should contact him about this

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Guys, we have passed one thousand signatures! It's not much in the long term, but it is an amazing start, especially when you consider we are not even past the first week of this whole operation!

D

Deleted member

Guys, we have passed one thousand signatures! It's not much in the long term, but it is an amazing start, especially when you consider we are not even past the first week of this whole operation!
That is amazing. Hopefully the campaign works :)

Top Bottom