• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Operation Starfall: Bringing Life to SMRPG Again

MyBrokenLuigiAmiibo

Smash Cadet
Yeah, seeing the number at 750 or so now is insane. I know that's really low in the grand scheme of things, especially considering where how many we'll need to get, but it still feels like a lot. This thing just started out and we don't have a ton going on yet besides a petition and some ideas, but people are still signing. That's awesome. If people really didn't care about these characters, I feel like we wouldn't have this (however small) momentum going on.

It's going to be an uphill battle, but we need to take these small victories.

Tetrin

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7468-3675-9681
Oh man, that's amazing! Thanks so much, TerminalMontage TerminalMontage ! Your work in campaigning for Geno in Smash was always so soulful to me. Your help with Starfall is wonderful for us.

Also, the fact that we're at 750 signatures is just... incredible for us having just started out. Let's keep that momentum going.
And isn't it lovely how the most liked reply is one calling perhaps the most delusional fans out there?

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I am curious, is there much we can do to really stress that Geno is not the sole purpose of this whole campain? I guess it is more of a time thing, as the campain gets bigger and much more pronounced, our goals will be made even more clear to those outside the know, but it likely won't ever go away. There is also another thing that will help though...

One other benefit to all of this is that we are separating ourselves from SMRPG's prominent fanbase link to Smash connection, at least some what. Let's face it, SMRPG is most talked about when Smash season roll along, and it is always about Geno. That is partially the reason why people are so quick to assume that Geno is our main focus, it's been the expectation for over a decade. But through this, we can make a venue of major SMRPG talk even without the presence of Smash speculation, which will increase SMRPG's overall prominence in the community tenfold through consistency alone. I know it's kinda ironic saying all of this while our home forum is Smashboards, but you get what I mean. An of course, if all of this continues past all of Ultimate's DLC, the message will be made even more clear.

T2by4

Smash Lord
780 signatures already!? I'm so proud of this campaign so far. I didn't think we'd get that much this soon! That's awesome!

D

Deleted member

Time to play some more Super Mario RPG.

Time to have some fun.

Tetrin

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7468-3675-9681
I wonder how people would react if another fanbase started a campaign before us.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
And isn't it lovely how the most liked reply is one calling perhaps the most delusional fans out there?
I wouldn't worry about folks like him. They're just ****ters who would rather we just shut up and let a game we love fade from the public consciousness. If they think they can get us to stop just by saying "This is not going to work", then frankly, they don't know us Geno/SMRPG fans as well as they claim to.

Last edited:

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Hey Gang!

There have been a couple of people thinking what we are doing is biased towards Geno. And honestly, it does seem like that.

So what if we change up the wording on a couple of things? Example: 3rd Goal - Smash Representation in some form. Playable Characters, Spirits/Trohpies, Echoes, Music, Etc.

Perhaps naming more Characters from the series, Boshi, Booster, DoDo, Etc.

So that way people dont see this as a "cover up" for the "WE WANT GENO IN SMAAAEEERRRASSSSHH! REEEEEEE"

D

Deleted member

Hey Gang!

There have been a couple of people thinking what we are doing is biased towards Geno. And honestly, it does seem like that.

So what if we change up the wording on a couple of things? Example: 3rd Goal - Smash Representation in some form. Playable Characters, Spirits/Trohpies, Echoes, Music, Etc.

Perhaps naming more Characters from the series, Boshi, Booster, DoDo, Etc.

So that way people dont see this as a "cover up" for the "WE WANT GENO IN SMAAAEEERRRASSSSHH! REEEEEEE"
I don't think we should change our views based on some people who complain for the sake of complaining.

Plus, Geno and Mallow are already spirits, so I think getting Geno as a playable character in Super Smash Bros should remain as our third goal

AugustusB

Smash Champion
I don't think we should change our views based on some people who complain for the sake of complaining.

Plus, Geno and Mallow are already spirits, so I think getting Geno as a playable character in Super Smash Bros should remain as our third goal
Perhaps the Third Goal should be stated as "Low priority" at least compared to the 1st 2 goals.

Yet, haters be hating so NVM gang :D Sorry just thought about that when EarlTamm EarlTamm mentioned it earlier.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Perhaps the Third Goal should be stated as "Low priority" at least compared to the 1st 2 goals.

Yet, haters be hating so NVM gang :D
It seems like they are looking for ways to hate on our campaign. They are ignoring what our main goal is, and it's something they would like. Even people in the SE thread who say that they weren't on board with Geno in Smash, they think it would be cool to see him and Mallow in more Mario games.

I think I am letting this get to me a little too much though, lol. We should stay positive and patient. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

MyBrokenLuigiAmiibo

Smash Cadet
It's definitely lower priority compared to getting more of a general SMRPG revamp going. Getting Geno in Smash would be great, but bittersweet if nothing else ever came of it and he was just relegated to guest appearances in Smash for the rest of time. Geno and Mallow/others in Mario Kart, Mario Party, Mario Sports, Mario Galaxy 3, Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi, a SMRPG remake, a SMRPG sequel, etc. etc. Geno and Mallow in merchandising, like toys and such would be fantastic too. Hell, imagine Geno and Mallow in the Super Mario movie (is that still happening?). Just get them in the mainstream! They're super marketable. They have great designs and I could easily see kids being huge fans of them, if Nintendo were to put them in more stuff. After all, kids became huge fans of them 20 years ago, it can definitely happen today.

Although, if Mallow got in Smash over Geno, I wouldn't even be mad. Mallow's awesome. Getting any SMRPG character in Smash would be awesome. It's not just about Geno, but he's definitely the most popular character from that game and is thus a bit a of a figurehead.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Booster reminded me of Chuggaconroy today.

"Chug-a-chug-a!"

TerminalMontage

Smash Ace
NNID
TerminalMontage
Oh man, that's amazing! Thanks so much, TerminalMontage TerminalMontage ! Your work in campaigning for Geno in Smash was always so soulful to me. Your help with Starfall is wonderful for us.

Also, the fact that we're at 750 signatures is just... incredible for us having just started out. Let's keep that momentum going.
I'm glad I could help 8)

owjies

Smash Journeyman

Yet, haters be hating so NVM gang :D Sorry just thought about that when EarlTamm EarlTamm mentioned it earlier.
Yeah, I agree that we shouldn't let haters affect how we operate the Operation. That said, we should also make sure to parse through the noise to find nuggets that could help us improve. Maybe there are casual SMRPG fans, fans of other characters like Mallow, and non-Smash fans that don't quite feel welcome yet? I agree with Zack that the wording seems fine to me, but I'm also trying to put myself in the shoes of Mallow fans, for example.

One thing we could try is broaden point #3 to include more characters and more crossovers (Kart, Tennis, Party, etc.). We shouldn't cede ground by suggesting anything less than playable fighters in Smash because we need to aim high. But we are also aiming for the inclusion of Geno, Mallow, et. al throughout Mario's crossover titles, so perhaps that would help broaden the support base a bit?

Going back to EarlTamm's point, maybe we separate ourselves from the original goal by making sure to constantly emphasize the all-of-the-above strategy that Starfall is using. Smash bros. is just one facet of the plan. Maybe there's a die-hard Mario Kart fan out there that's been waiting for Geno in Kart but doesn't really play Smash. We need to find and get that person involved too.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

We already have 700+ signatures? That's Great! Also I'm almost finished with the big letter I was writing. I just need to know, what does Super Mario RPG mean to all of you what are your experiences with it? I need it for the letter as I am compiling what Super Mario RPG means to all of us along with whoever wants to be on it's signatures.

D

Deleted member

We already have 700+ signatures? That's Great! Also I'm almost finished with the big letter I was writing. I just need to know, what does Super Mario RPG mean to all of you what are your experiences with it? I need it for the letter as I am compiling what Super Mario RPG means to all of us along with whoever wants to be on it's signatures.
Super Mario RPG is a game that is often overlooked and deserves more recognition. It has many elements that make it stand out from other RPGs, like the hilarious dialogue, the intriguing story, the admirable characters, and the gameplay. It's a game that anyone - kid or adult - will love.

The gameplay revolves around timed hits. Some attacks can be really difficult to master, and some can be easy. As opposed to other RPGs, you have something in the gameplay to challenge you instead of just pressing a button for a character to do an attack for you.

This is a game that involved Nintendo and Square Enix (Squaresoft at the time) working together. The enemies had different names. There were brand new characters. There were story elements you normally wouldn't expect to see in a Mario game, making it a more serious and unique Mario game, while at the same time keeping the Mario that everyone knows since the first ever Mario game.

The characters are a mix of the Mario characters in the mainline Mario universe, and characters created by Square Enix. You have Mallow - a cloud with magical powers who finds out that he IS NOT A TADPOLE and must go on an adventure to find his real parents.

Geno. Geno is the character. While not the protagonist of the game, the story revolves around him. His purpose is to find the 7 stars to rebuild star road. He does this not only for the purpose of it being fixed, but he does it so that everyone's wishes can be answered. After his purpose is complete, he leaves the Geno doll and returns to where he came from - above star road. He rebuilds star road while it is not something to benefit him, but to benefit all the people in the world. He does this while possessing a puppet who has a gun for a hand. People become hooked to this character once you see what he can do.

Overall, what makes Super Mario RPG Legend of the Seven Stars special is because of the support and following it has gained over the years because of what the game produces. Lovable characters, settings, story, and gameplay. What makes it special is it, as of now, being a one time thing that people want to see more of.

This is why Super Mario RPG Legend of the Seven Stars is important to me, and I hope it gets the acknowledgement it deserves in the years (perhaps months) to come.

Last edited by a moderator:

FurretBro

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FurretBro
For SMRPG's anniversary, we should all tweet a hastag. Not everyone has Twitter (I don't, for one), but if it, by some miracle, becomes trending, expect the petition to rise hugely.

Some people could stream the game. I suppose that could work too.

Last edited:

FurretBro

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FurretBro
It's a wonderful game which gave way to Paper Mario, as well as Mario & Luigi. The Mario RPGs are excellent games, and I feel the very first one should be remade. If Square gets together with Nintendo and likes working with them, it could change a lot, and at this point there's valid reasons to believe they already do.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I know I can't speak for everyone else here, but I know for a whole lot of people, myself included, SMRPG was our introduction to "proper" RPGs, what with it literally being designed as baby's first RPG to get Western fans hooked on the genre. To me, the game will always be special for getting me into what's come to be my absolute favorite genre of games, even if I've since played ones that I enjoyed even more.

Oh, and it also inspired the Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi lines of games, two series which have had an undeniable impact on the industry and have dedicated fanbases as well. Plus, SMRPG was also one of the earliest examples of true character in a Mario game, which is pretty impressive considering it's hardly the most text-heavy of games, especially for an RPG. Hell, it was the game that basically invented the "RPG Bowser" personality that we've all come to love in games since. For how little it's referenced nowadays (for admittedly obvious reasons), SMRPG's importance to the Mario series as a whole is not to be understated.

Yeah, there's a lot of reasons to love SMRPG, and what I listed were just a few of the most extremely general ones. Even if you don't have a specific story about the first time you met Geno in the Forest Maze or when you first played as BOWSER in a Mario game, SMRPG is special to so many people for so many different reasons, and I really hope Nintendo and Square Enix will be able to put aside their differences just this once to let all those people relive their childhoods in a new, revitalized way.

Last edited:

Pikacraft64

Smash Rookie
hmmm I didn’t realize how much homework I had, I wasn’t able to get the site up in a state I feel comfortable with yet, hopefully by today It'll be finished

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I never expected to see another fan of Chuggaconroy here as well xD
I think there is likely a good amount of Chuggaaconroy fans here. I am at least, and Chugga has been a talking point of a possible supporter. Though, I think we should wait till we get a little bit bigger before we ask some of those big YouTubers.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
We know Smithy is the one who made the rest of the Smithy gang. That much is obvious. But the question of who made Smithy is something the more you think about, the more you start to worry. It does not help that all of those heads are directly beneath the factory itself, as if it was something locked away and never meant to be seen.
Probably the Marioverse equivalent to GoW!Ares, considering that Smithy's goal is to make the world a giant war-torn bloodbath.

Last edited:

RSF-Blue bomber

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lethlintejection
3DS FC
5069-3977-0380
to me super mario rpg reminds me of the times of nice and original Nintendo games. i miss the times when the games were filled with imagination and fun. of course the graphics and capabilities were limited but thats what your imagination was for, to fill in the blanks. nowadays many nintendo games lost that flare to me and I've found myself not really playing much nintendo games. so after replaying super mario rpg I felt like a kid again playing the nice and old games of nintendo that didnt feel like cash grabs or just remakes. they had soul in them which just makes me warm inside.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
You know an art piece I would love to see relating to SMRPG? The party being a band. I mean, Mallow already has cymbals, and we did see a similar idea in SM3DW art. That, or that one Rosalina concept art is really influencing me right now. It's still a fun idea though.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Hey guys! I've seen the critique in regards to the campaign being too Geno-focused, and frankly, I agree. I'll be changing up the wording of the third goal in both the petition page and the main OP, and I highly encourage everyone (myself included) to shift the focus away from just Geno and onto other characters. I know he's a favorite of ours, but there is so much to love about this game!

EDIT: "Bring Geno and Mallow into spin-offs and other Nintendo media! From Tennis and Kart to Strikers and Sluggers, we'd love to see them in further games!"

Goal three has been changed to this. It's very all-encompassing, so we can still include Smash rep in that umbrella, but it broadens our goal significantly.

I also see that there is a massive letter being sent by one of us, and I will be adding my experience and personal fondness for SMRPG shortly. I have a busy day ahead, so that'll come later.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Hey guys! I've seen the critique in regards to the campaign being too Geno-focused, and frankly, I agree. I'll be changing up the wording of the third goal in both the petition page and the main OP, and I highly encourage everyone (myself included) to shift the focus away from just Geno and onto other characters. I know he's a favorite of ours, but there is so much to love about this game!
Good to know. Let's also make sure this avoidance does not make him completely ignored. He should be just as prominent as Mallow. I am curious how you plan to change the wording for goal 3 though, as Geno is the biggest SMRPG frontrunner for Smash, and that likely wont ever change.

Edit: With the change to goal 3, isn't that kinda the same as goal 2?

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Good to know. Let's also make sure this avoidance does not make him completely ignored. He should be just as prominent as Mallow. I am curious how you plan to change the wording for goal 3 though, as Geno is the biggest SMRPG frontrunner for Smash, and that likely wont ever change.

Edit: With the change to goal 3, isn't that kinda the same as goal 2?
It is similar, but it is generally more encompassing. Its focus is on spinoffs and other misc. Nintendo media, even as small as Nintendo Badge Arcade (if anything else happens with it) and as large as Smash. Two is more Mario-focused as a whole, zeroing in a little more on main series.

That being said, I think it may be better to just scrap goal 3 and merge it into goal 2 altogether.

skydogc

Smash Ace
NNID
Skydog

EDIT: "Bring Geno and Mallow into spin-offs and other Nintendo media! From Tennis and Kart to Strikers and Sluggers, we'd love to see them in further games!"

Goal three has been changed to this. It's very all-encompassing, so we can still include Smash rep in that umbrella, but it broadens our goal significantly.

I also see that there is a massive letter being sent by one of us, and I will be adding my experience and personal fondness for SMRPG shortly. I have a busy day ahead, so that'll come later.
We do have a ton of other unique supporting characters that stand out: Mallow (okay yes he is a main), Frogfucious, Toadofsky, Croco, Jinx, Booster and his Snifits, Smithy, and most of the Smithy gang in general (even though, yes, they were all thumped pretty hard).

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
It is similar, but it is generally more encompassing. Its focus is on spinoffs and other misc. Nintendo media, even as small as Nintendo Badge Arcade (if anything else happens with it) and as large as Smash. Two is more Mario-focused as a whole, zeroing in a little more on main series.

That being said, I think it may be better to just scrap goal 3 and merge it into goal 2 altogether.
Yeah, I feel like it would be better to merge the two in this case. Both kinda facilitate each other in my mind. I do think among the merged goal you should mention Smash among the mentioned games, but be vague about what sort of appearance is desired. Geno for Smash has been a huge motivator for this community for over a decade, so it's best not to completely ignore the subject, at least in my opinion.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I think this is a good change. Get them reintroduced to the Mario series, then build from there in regards to Smash.

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
Petition signed, gonna share it on Facebook and Twitter to at least try and get the word out if only a select few will listen, even if it’s that much, our voices shall be heard.

Top Bottom