• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Operation: Connect; the Campaign to Optimize SSB4's Online Play

D

Deleted member

Lets support this!!!!!
This.

I am glad that activity and membership is going up. This will give it the attention that it deserves and the focus it needs to become a movement to improve SSB4's online.

Here is the message I sent to everyone in case people want to know:

Operation Connect said:
Hello there. A group by Fatmanonice called "Operation: Connect" has a group dedicating to discussing how to optimize SSB4's online to make it unforgettable to the fans. We are looking for new active members to help increase the activity of this group and to help achieve our goal in helping to increase the online.

The thread is in here. The group is in here. Please aid us in our effort to improve the online.

Greave

Smash Apprentice
NNID
P-Duck
Sign me up, bro-bots! I'm in full support of this. Online is vital to modern multiplayer games, and it was Brawl's biggest flaw.

I'm a writer, so I'll be able to help assemble the letter. I wouldn't be willing to pen the whole thing because that would stress me to the moon, but I'm good at editing out verbal fat for a more streamlined presentation of ideas.

D

Deleted member

Very happy that people are joining this group. It deserves more exposure and to grow.
Hmm, talking about making a video of this in Youtube, you say?
I can help- or at least give ya program to get started easily.
I think this would go over great and would really help give the group the attention that it needs.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I find it a bit irksome that more people aren't supporting this but I'm thankful for those that are. It's nearly the end of the first month and things haven't gone too far but, despite that, I'm glad that there are some people that are genuinely fiery about this.

D

Deleted member

Did another round of PMing. It seems as doing mass PMs in regards to this project is working out very well. In a matter of a few days, we have almost doubled and activity is increasing in this thread again.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
Super Smash Bros. Fan said:
Hello there. A group by Fatmanonice called "Operation: Connect" has a group dedicating to discussing how to optimize SSB4's online to make it unforgettable to the fans. We are looking for new active members to help increase the activity of this group and to help achieve our goal in helping to increase the online.

The thread is in here. The group is in here. Please aid us in our effort to improve the online.

I'm interested into this one. I'm in.

Lightosia

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Light0sia
Smash 4 should get a netcode like SF3:3rd strike online edition. That's like the best netcode (GGPO) for fighting games. Some people argued that MvC3 had a bad netcode. The result? UMvC3 is getting a new one.

However, until Wii U release, we are going to be a little blind about its online functions. I hope we get more infos before the release.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
I want to support this. Brawl's online experience is utter crap.
In my opinion, the worst thing was anonymous play. You have to wait for hours to find anybody. I don't know if that problem is fixable, but I think it is, considering how well it works in mario kart wii.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Yes, yes it has, glad to finally see some support over this. :)

As for promoting awareness I'd say a good Facebook/Twitter wouldn't hurt.

I also like the idea of a YouTube presentation, in the mean I guess it needs to get out so someone out there catches it and sees this.

:phone:

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
You know what? On youtube, the biggest SSB4 guy is pizzadudemanguy. He has 400 subscribers, including myself. If we could get him to support and do a video, It could increase support significantly.

D

Deleted member

Smash 4 should get a netcode like SF3:3rd strike online edition. That's like the best netcode (GGPO) for fighting games. Some people argued that MvC3 had a bad netcode. The result? UMvC3 is getting a new one.

However, until Wii U release, we are going to be a little blind about its online functions. I hope we get more infos before the release.
That's pretty much is our biggest disadvantage so far, we don't know how the online function will work, but we have to work with what we have since the letter should be sent out by October of this year; when development starts.
I want to support this. Brawl's online experience is utter crap.
In my opinion, the worst thing was anonymous play. You have to wait for hours to find anybody. I don't know if that problem is fixable, but I think it is, considering how well it works in mario kart wii.
The fact that you only had anonymous play was horrible. There is no excuse why you can't at least see other members username. If Mario Kart Wii can do it, so can SSB4.
You know what? On youtube, the biggest SSB4 guy is pizzadudemanguy. He has 400 subscribers, including myself. If we could get him to support and do a video, It could increase support significantly.
Hey, that's a good idea. I'll try to contact him now about this.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Yes, that's a wonderful idea, if it can be done then let's do it ASAP!

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Also, I'm thinking that we should do mail and e-mail. E-mail is more convenient for nintendo and the operation, but somehow, I doubt nintendo checks fan e-mail. Mail may get lost, and is less convenient, and may cost money, but, nintendo is more likely to read coventional mail. By doing both, all bases are covered. A petition showing all supporters should be included, if we have a ton of supporters. I also think the letter should be sent to all relevant people and parties.

D

Deleted member

I'll consider this group, but what all am I expected to do?
The only thing you need to do is try to participate in it. You don't have to do all of these things if you join as I am not forcing anyone to do anything, but here's some suggestions on how you can help:

- Give ideas on how to improve the online for SSB4.
- Find ways to increase support for Operation: Connect.
- Discuss with others about Operation: Connect and how to improve it.
- Etc.

Thanks for considering! :)

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
I wanna help except there's nothing I can help you guys with that someone is 100x better than me at so I'll just join and cheer you guys on n_n

D

Deleted member

I wanna help except there's nothing I can help you guys with that someone is 100x better than me at so I'll just join and cheer you guys on n_n

Any support is better then nothing. Thanks. :)

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
When you write the letter, please ask them to remove the option to quit in the middle of a online brawl, that option is so stupid and it ends up ruining it for everyone else.

D

Deleted member

I sent a message to pizzamandudeguy. I am very much hoping he supports our cause. We desperately need it.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Hmmm, I guess I'll be a negative Nancy.

This probably wont do anything beyond being a cool discussion point. Sakurai likely isn't going to take many ideas from people are probably not from Smash Boards. They know online wasn't great and they'll most likely try to change it. But you'll get no where prepping a letter to change the online mode. They just wont care, and either you'll propose the same things they already thought or ask for stuff they have intention of adding.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Hmmm, I guess I'll be a negative Nancy.

This probably wont do anything beyond being a cool discussion point. Sakurai likely isn't going to take many ideas from people are probably not from Smash Boards. They know online wasn't great and they'll most likely try to change it. But you'll get no where prepping a letter to change the online mode. They just wont care, and either you'll propose the same things they already thought or ask for stuff they have intention of adding.
See, that's the thing, we don't know how they felt about Brawl's online because they never really commented on it after Brawl was released. We have plenty of comments about Sakurai's thoughts during production (mainly that it was an enormous pain in the butt and he dreaded doing it since the day Iwata said that SSB3 had to have online play) but the thoughts were largely negative.

Second of all, the purpose of this project is more than just a wish list. Obviously, I haven't guarenteed anything but these were some of the other things I hope this project does:

1. Help people become more optimistic about SSB4. Right now, I believe more people are pessimistic about how it will turn out and I'm hoping that with this project that people realize that there's a good chance they will fix a lot of the mistakes they made with Brawl.

2. Connect casual and competitive players. Brawl created a pretty big divide between the two. Granted, this will probably happen again with SSB4 but I want to help people realize that, in the end, we all basically want the same thing: a Smash game that's fun.

3. Realize that Smash Bros is more than just characters. Offical details probably won't be released for another 10 months and already the discussion about SSB4 is saturated with character discussion. Obviously, there's more than a few things that make a good Smash game and I want people to realize that online will probably be a big factor in determining SSB4's overall quality as a game.

4. To connect other Smash fans on here and other sites. It's clear that Smash Bros' fanbase is very expansive and I want to take this oppurtunity to have people connect with people in other online communities about what they are expecting for SSB4.

5. Create a better picture of what fans are expecting when it comes to online play. Even if our ideas aren't used, it will still stand as a testament to what fans believe makes a good online experience that others could possibly use as reference.

With all this being said, the idea behind this project is more than just "getting our way", it's about connecting people and ideas in a community that spans the globe but is split up into different little pockets.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
I am making a thread on neoseeker now.
EDIT: It won't let me, because i'm too new. Can someone else do it?

D

Deleted member

I am making a thread on neoseeker now.
EDIT: It won't let me, because i'm too new. Can someone else do it?
Unfortunately, I can't since I have yet to register there. I was thinking of doing it on other places, but I need to get help from others to ensure that it actually gets attention this time around.

D

Deleted member

pizzamandudeguy hasn't contacted me yet. I don't think he's going to listen.

I think we have no choice but to try to make the videos ourselves.

Le vieux lapin

Smash Ace
It's excellent that someone is doing this. This game is for US after all.
The only thing I would tell them is to ensure that character customization ( which they say they will have )
does not interfere with competitive play ( which requires balance and equality in gameplay )

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I'm not really sure where to go with this. Support has been lacking and attempts to advertise this on other sites have largely been shot down. It's weird because a lot of people seem to trust Nintendo with this issue despite how Brawl turned out. It's perplexing, to say the least.

Segastorm

Smash Apprentice
I'm not really sure where to go with this. Support has been lacking and attempts to advertise this on other sites have largely been shot down. It's weird because a lot of people seem to trust Nintendo with this issue despite how Brawl turned out. It's perplexing, to say the least.
That's because more of the brawl community as a whole doesn't care about how balanced the game is, so remove the competitiveness and many will think they did just fine.

D

Deleted member

Probably because we're not big enough. I would try sending PMs again, but Ankoku got on to me for doing so, so I have no idea what to do.

It doesn't help that my main focus has switched to Project Unova, which has gotten me more interested then Operation: Connect. Zzuxon did say he was making a video in regards to this, let's hope it comes out soon.

Revven

FrankerZ
You won't be reaching out to many Smashers right now without a trailer for the official game. All that's been said is they plan to work on the next Smash after Kid Icarus comes out (which still doesn't have a solid release date). Most of the community is still hazy about the next Smash as a whole.

If you want to get out to more people, just copy what Operation Rainfall and Operation Moonfall have both done: create a Facebook group. Both of those groups got Nintendo's attention and got responses from them. Bug Nintendo's facebook page too.

But, again, this is too soon so... doubtful Nintendo will take notice of it when they haven't even started development of the game.

D

Deleted member

Let's discuss Zzuxon video. BTW, thanks for making it.

First off, I would try to make the presentation look more appealing. Just text and a white background really doesn't convince people to support it as much as it looks generic. Secondly, there was that one scene where I had to zoom in to see it. You need to make sure that the text are readable. Finally, put some Smash music in it so people are more likely to be engaged in it.

Hope this helps. :)

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
You won't be reaching out to many Smashers right now without a trailer for the official game. All that's been said is they plan to work on the next Smash after Kid Icarus comes out (which still doesn't have a solid release date). Most of the community is still hazy about the next Smash as a whole.

If you want to get out to more people, just copy what Operation Rainfall and Operation Moonfall have both done: create a Facebook group. Both of those groups got Nintendo's attention and got responses from them. Bug Nintendo's facebook page too.

But, again, this is too soon so... doubtful Nintendo will take notice of it when they haven't even started development of the game.
Well, that's the thing, I wanted to get this done before SSB4 started production and Sakurai estimated that development was going to start in sometime in October. I'm also don't want to create a Facebook page right at the moment because I think there's currently an oversaturation of operations and a lot of gamers are getting burned out on them. All and all, this was supposed to be a preemptive strike because, with Brawl, people didn't do things like this until the game had already been in development for over a year.

TSM ZeRo

Banned via Administration

This. The only reason why most people doesn't like to play online it's because of the lag and delay of the system. This is by far the most important thing to "fix" in SSBU.

Second, we should have a system like Halo, example:

Online Campaign (So other players can search for other players to play a Co-Op Campaign Online)

Online Matchmaking (Online Multiplayer):

We should have different options, example:

1v1:

1v1 Pro (Tournament Rules)

1v1 Items (1v1 with items)

1v1 Random (Random character/stage 1v1's)

2v2:

2v2 Pro (Tournament Rules)

2v2 Items (1v1 with items)

2v2 Random (Random character/stage 1v1's)

Free For All:

Free For all with no items

Free For All Fiesta (with items and randome stages/characters)

Free For All With items

That should make anyone happy. For the maps, we could have a stage pool, example, for 1v1 Pro we could have, starter stages only, or starters and counterpicks (or we can give an option so the loser can chose the second stage, or only play a best of 1 with 1 stage chose, or a best of 3 in which the first stage is a random stage o the stage pool, and then the loser picks a stage from the counterpick pool, or starter pool, or things like that.

Also, Custom Matches:

So we can play private matches with our friends, or make online tournments, or make custom gametypes, everything can be done here, and we need a Custom Matches lobby, just like Halo does.

Theater/Movies/Replays:

Something so we can watch our past matches (and with unlimited time, it's really dumb that people have to hack their Wiis to save their tournament matches) and share our matches online (like Halo).

My ideas are covering any type of gamers, from the casual gamers that enjoy Free For Alls with random stages and characters, with items, to the hardcore tournament player that only plays 1v1 with no items and complex rules. It appeals to every kind of gamer, and that's exactly the thing that SSBU's online play has to be, a place for everyone to enjoy Smash the way they want. But there's one thing that I think that WE ALL agree on, please, make it so we can play with the LEAST amount of Lag and Delay (or if it's possible, with 0 Lag and delay), even if Nintendo has to charge money for the online play, but guarantees a great experience, I would pay for it, just like XBL does. Also, in the case that Nintendo is going to charge for the system, make it worldwide, so everyone from every country can play if they can pay, do not restrict the system like XBL does.

Well, those are my suggestions. :)

BongoBuddy61

Smash Rookie
Hey I want to support this idea and I'll metion this opperation in my next youtube video.
By the way I know a way to contact pizzadudemanguy by contacting LordJackal and he'll tell pizza.

D

Deleted member

Thanks for supporting us. You should join the social group on Operation: Connect, get involved in SSB4 discussion, and link us to the video once you finish it.

Top Bottom