• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Opening Strategies

donutdude

Smash Rookie
The beginning of a match can very well set the pace for the rest of the game. How do you typically start off your matches?

Now, I realize that what you do depends on which character you and/or your opponent picks. But are there any general strategies you use? For example, do you immediately dash back to see what your opponent will do and try to find an opening to punish them? Or perhaps you fire off a quick projectile? Or maybe you charge at your opponent and hope to rack up some quick damage?

Discuss.

_Kip

Smash Cadet
NNID
kopipop
Switch FC
6818-8600-2211
Typically I expect the opponent to fire a quick projectile, or rush in, so I tend to play it more defensive from the start. If I have a charge move I usually start charging it, but without the hope of actually using it. It is more to cause my opponent to want to rush, which allows me a chance to see their approach game while still keeping mine at bay. In other words, I try to understand my opponent's play-style without giving up mine right away.

Scala

Smash Ace
Since I play Diddy, I have to prep for the match immediately. I have to get those bananas out into a strategically advantageous position ASAP.

sligmasta

Smash Cadet
when using a faster character i use the fact that the word GO! obscures most of the screen for the first second to get an attack in before it disapears. works on noobs everytime, works on more experienced players some of the time

with a slower character i will immediately retreat to counteract the possible use of of the previously mentioned tactic

plasmid

Smash Apprentice
I think sometimes it can depend who you are fighting (the person) and what character they are using, more than what character you are using. Example: If I'm fighting my nephew, I know he's a noob, so I'll just relentlessly attack him, or wait for him to walk into my attacks, but if I'm fighting my friend Kasai, and he chooses Kirby, I'll try to spam full hop thunder jolts and run, or if I'm fighting Kasai again, and he uses Ike, I would abuse my speed by QACing next to him to an aireal.

mzink*

Smash Ace
When I use MK I immediately take to the air to avoid initial projectile spam and I make an aerial approack. With Bowser I approach them in leaps and dodges again to avoid the initial projectile spam and hit them with a fair. I am usually the immediate aggressor and the one to make the first approach to get the match going.

Organous

Smash Apprentice
I like to apply pressure right away and just go for him. Get in some good shoves to try putting things into edgeguard mode quickly or trap him into getting lots of damage quickly. Whatever I do, I want it to be done quick enough to ramp up the pace. Ironically, I like the slower pace of Brawl, but I also recognize how rushing the opponent makes it harder for them to think up and enact a proper defense before I can get to them.

Browny

Smash Hater
lucario, charge ma lazer
sonic, run up to them and grab before the GO! even dissapears :>
ness, spam short-hopped f-airs as an approach

l3rian

Smash Cadet
SHDA with TL and with falco i wait to see what they do, if they dash i laser them to end it, then charge in for a chaingrab, or DLX

Morrigan

/!\<br>\¡/
As Peach, I pluck a turnip, jump/glide toss and throw it, then I'd usually do a Fair. It all depends.

BrawlBro

Smash Ace
A lot of people run straight to the middle with a dash attack, heres a hint it almost never hits.

I usually take to the air with my marth..

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
grab, repeat 3 times and i won!

ice climbers FTW

if um using snake or ddd they have veryy diff playstyles. dont get hit and rack up huge damage before killing with uptilt

EvilShadow777

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1177-8767-4539
Well since my mains are meta knight, olimar, and wario, I have a few opening strategys. For MK, on smaller levels like battlefield, I jump and side+b to get a rush going. Then start hacking away with the a attacks. For olimar, I pluck 3 more pikmin get a good spot, and dodge anything they throw at you, then short jump and side air them. For wario, a good motorcycle rush is great.

FEJunkie

Smash Apprentice
I generally do a SHL backwards with Falco and then proceed to do SHDLs until they approach(unless it's a Pit or something). If my opponent is Zamus, then I just throw up my reflector(stupid armor pieces).

As for Marth I generally dash and sh toward my opponent to fake them out and punish them on how they react.

Saltix

Smash Lord
I do dashed SHL's back and forth with Falco as most of my opponents tend to jump immediately >__>
With Zelda I toss a quick Din's Fire behind them
Everyone else, I tend to DD a bit and let them rush me.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I begin every game by picking my soldiers out of the ground and by then, my opponent is waiting at my quarters waiting to get told [orders].

Tristan_win

Not dead.
I decide what my opening move will be depend on the character I'm facing, location I start in and stage size.

Usually though I jump backwards and start charging my needles.

I.iZ.nO.1

Smash Apprentice
NNID
iizno1
3DS FC
1349-7897-6883
I think it all depends on which character you are using. When using IC, i try to start with a desync. When i use G&W depending on what character im playing against i may use bucket off the start if playing against a character with projectiles i can catch in my bucket anticipating tha they will use it. All and all it depends if you know your opponent and how they start a match, if you do you can base your start on what you know of theirs.

Jon64

Smash Cadet
I'll pick fox/falco, mash B through the count down, then proceed to charge and dair them (or mabey nair as falco) when they throw their reflectors up! :)

Top Bottom