• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Online Brawl Community Doubles #7 - August 8th - Registration is day of event

worldjem7

Smash Ace
With the new Spectator mode for online matches I don't think you'll need a 1v1v1 technically in online matches because the person would just spectate. This is my suggestion.

I'm very glad to see this. It will be very cool to have huge online tournaments like this in the comfort of your own home! lol I can't wait for brawl and this upcoming tournament I hope it succeeds well.

darkNES386

Smash Lord
With the new Spectator mode for online matches I don't think you'll need a 1v1v1 technically in online matches because the person would just spectate. This is my suggestion.

I'm very glad to see this. It will be very cool to have huge online tournaments like this in the comfort of your own home! lol I can't wait for brawl and this upcoming tournament I hope it succeeds well.
I hope you aren't getting too excited about the new spectator mode. As of now, you are only using it bet coins on random matches where you have no clue who is playing each character. Video playback will hopefully be used before the 1v1v1 suicide option (this will be for an extreme case where players can't agree on rules/create match properly). As of now I don't believe the spectator mode is an actual option for this tournament or any... here is the link to see what I mean... http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/gamemode/wi-fi/wi-fi02.html ... Mr. Sakurai specifically says that this is for the "WITH ANYONE" option.

worldjem7

Smash Ace
oh yeah, I forgot it was "with anyone" only lol my bad. About the video recording though, do we know for sure that you can use it online? Because I know it says you can "send" videos to people on your friends list but, I'm not sure that you can record online brawls as well as offline brawls and target tests.

darkNES386

Smash Lord
http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/gamemode/various/various09.html ... that's the link... the video topic is under the break the targets for those that don't remember. Yes, it is slightly unclear about whether you can record online matches or just matches with friends on your own wii. Either way, the fall back is to have a spectator... yes this increases lag slightly... but if we're having problems, it might be the only solution. Specific rules on how we'll go about this will come later, for now assume that you'll be trusted to play on your own until disputes start arising. Once again...... I hope we can all be honest about free competition and that those who make it to the elimination bracket are all good enough to respect one another.

Caterpillar

Smash Rookie
If someone actually goes through the effort to cheat, cant you just put their # on a list of people who cheated and ban them from entering tournyments?

it would also be helpful if people used headsets or mics to communicate.

darkNES386

Smash Lord
If someone actually goes through the effort to cheat, cant you just put their # on a list of people who cheated and ban them from entering tournyments?

it would also be helpful if people used headsets or mics to communicate.

Yes, if it comes to that... I will keep track of any SWF accounts that are causing problems.

As for the mics, we will not require their use, but I will do what I can to make it an easy option for those that wish to use it. I'm open to any suggestions for the best way to implement this. For example, I can make an additional collumn of information when groups are posted that says something like "Preferred Method of In-Game Contact (optional)."

I encourage mics to be used... there's no reason why the in-game message board of brawl can't be used to say something simple like AIM-USERNAME or SKY-USERNAME.
Hopefully the message board can fit all of that. This would ensure that you are getting the correct contact information. We honestly need to wait for Brawl's release to see exactly how this will work... but it's good to get idea's going.

So my question to all of you is... WHAT SHOULD THE IN-GAME MESSAGE BOARD DISPLAY FOR EVERYONE?

bigman40

Smash Master
Would we have to have a computer with something like Xfire, AIM, or Yahoo Messenger, etc? I've been hearing that the WII doesn't support voice chat.

Also, for the in-game message board, I think that it should have something simple, like the names we use for SSBM. They can fit into the boards easily (I hope).

darkNES386

Smash Lord
You will not be required to use voice chat... and yes you would have to have a comp to help you out.

As for the message board... your name will already be there... Bill... Janey... those are the mii names that will be floating about you as you fight... so that's a little redundant.

EDIT: YOU CAN ALSO USE THIS TO COMMUNICATE... think of this as like the lobby of the tournament... I wouldn't expect everyone to be talking at the same time in here during their matches... it would get crazy. THIS ROOM WOULD IN NO WAY BE USED FOR REPORTING SCORES... there is no way of knowing for sure who is who.... try it out. IT's FREE AND YOU DON'T EVEN NEED TO PROVIDE AN EMAIL!!!!
http://www.chatzy.com/906671171352

worldjem7

Smash Ace
As for the message board... your name will already be there... Bill... Janey... those are the mii names that will be floating about you as you fight... so that's a little redundant.
Wouldn't it make sense to put our SWF names as our Mii names for when we play Brawl just so that it's easier to know who's who? That way we won't have to keep introducing each other every time we meet someone new to fight against. Just a thought.

So my question to all of you is... WHAT SHOULD THE IN-GAME MESSAGE BOARD DISPLAY FOR EVERYONE?
During tournament play:

1. SWF OB Round ##
2. SWF OB vs. <name>
3. Online Brawl Round ##
4. Online Brawl vs <name>

General Message for all:

1. Online Brawl Community Member
2. SWF Online Brawl Member
3. SWF OB Community Member

Maybe during online play we can put our round number (if we use them to associate where people play) on the message so that people with the corresponding numbers would know who they're facing when they sign on to do their match, or put the name of your opponent if you know their name before starting your match. I think it would make things easier. Tell me what you think.

P.S. Just in case: "OB" means "Online Brawl"

darkNES386

Smash Lord
Wouldn't it make sense to put our SWF names as our Mii names for when we play Brawl just so that it's easier to know who's who? That way we won't have to keep introducing each other every time we meet someone new to fight against. Just a thought.

Maybe during online play we can put our round number (if we use them to associate where people play) on the message so that people with the corresponding numbers would know who they're facing when they sign on to do their match, or put the name of your opponent if you know their name before starting your match. I think it would make things easier. Tell me what you think.

P.S. Just in case: "OB" means "Online Brawl"
Yes, it would make life eaiser... but lets' remember that we might be limited by what our mii names/brawl-in game names can be. What do you tell someone who has a really long name on SWF or w/e. Not to mention people taking each other's names to create confusion.

http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~neschwar/Brawl/bracket.htm ... check that out... tell me if it makes sense... basically, you're looking for which group your in... only one group is listed there (it's an example), then you locate your online name (not your swf name). THis goes under the assumption that we play rounds at standard times to keep everything more organized.

bigman40

Smash Master
This is pretty good. Not going to lie, but it's kinda long.
EDIT: In my opinon, the message board could say "SWF TOURNAMENTS"

worldjem7

Smash Ace
Yeah that makes sense. This is pretty huge lol. The times really keep everything together. I was looking at the way you set it up and i tried to find another way to do it and I did but, it's no easier than the way you have it set up lol. I have a newfound appreciation for what you're organizing this really is huge! lol.

This is a lot so, I'd like to know how long it took you to just make this one example, you know, sorting out all the matches properly so that I would be able to help out because this really will be quite the handful. This was just 1 group and it was an example. I can imagine how many groups there will be once Brawl is released and this online community really kicks off.

darkNES386

Smash Lord
I used an online site... that randomly generates the matches... all I need to do is throw down the different names, and then it spits out the different tables... of course I edited them to the right size and created the time slots ( the program doesn't do that) and I packed it all together in an easy to view format... if I had this one already made... and I wanted to create like 10 more... it shouldn't take more than 15 minutes.... here... watch from the time of this post.......

bigman40

Smash Master
I generated a second one and then wasted a lot of time trying to get it to work. My excel copy/paste isn't communicating properly right now with photoshop... but trust me it won't take more than a half hour to produce everything and create a link everyone can view it from.

http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~neschwar/Brawl/bracket.htm for those of you that are just joining us.
The link you provided doesn't work.

AttackstorM

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2122-8193-6919
I generated a second one and then wasted a lot of time trying to get it to work. My excel copy/paste isn't communicating properly right now with photoshop... but trust me it won't take more than a half hour to produce everything and create a link everyone can view it from.

http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~neschwar/Brawl/bracket.htm for those of you that are just joining us.
can you put the link to the chatroom & or tournament website in your signature? the link to the brackets will be in one of those two places right?

darkNES386

Smash Lord
Alright, good suggestion AttackstorM. Please remember that my webpage is nothing more than a bulletin board to help connect everyone. There are plenty of wonderful forums out there already. I mention a couple on the site... let me know if there are any other sites that I should start getting the word out to in the next couple months.

EDIT: Here is a 20 man bracket... refresh page if it's not work

worldjem7

Smash Ace
Alright, good suggestion AttackstorM. Please remember that my webpage is nothing more than a bulletin board to help connect everyone. There are plenty of wonderful forums out there already. I mention a couple on the site... let me know if there are any other sites that I should start getting the word out to in the next couple months.

EDIT: Here is a 20 man bracket... refresh page if it's not work
That link still doesn't work. It's the exact same one from when you first posted the link.

darkNES386

Smash Lord
hmmmm..... this might be a problem..... I don't know why it wouldn't work. It's working for other people... is there any reason why my webpage wouldn't be accessible to certain areas? What web browsers are you using?

EDIT: DOES THIS WORK? HERE

worldjem7

Smash Ace
That link there works. It's weird though, I was checking page 6 of this thread and it's the same link you sent me earlier so I don't know why I can't see it now.

btw I'm using FireFox

Edit: How do you duplicate it to have more than one group?

worldjem7

Smash Ace
I did refresh the page but, to no avail. In the bottom left corner of the window it says "Done" meaning there's nothing left to load and all I get is a blank screen.

Edi: Lol post # 333 JACKPOT!!!

worldjem7

Smash Ace
I got it. It was my Ad Block Plus that I have for Firefox that didn't allow me to view the page properly. But, I fixed it now.

AttackstorM

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2122-8193-6919
can you put the link to the chatroom & or tournament website in your signature? the link to the brackets will be in one of those two places right?

actually better yet maybe it would be best to post the chatroom, bracket example, and site link on the first post...

by the way darkness i like what you are doing, thank you for providing online tournaments for the online smash community. you also seem to put alot of effort into this...keep up the good work!

darkNES386

Smash Lord
Alright... links are at top of main post... I updated the bracekt one... and wrote a program to instantly sort everyone from a master list. Pretty much... all that needs to be done now is make the different size templates and then make it all look nicer.

Any questions or confusions?

worldjem7

Smash Ace
How is everything sorted out randomly?

How does this Master List help tie in all the groups?
I see no time schedule for players in the master list.

In addition to answering these, expand on explanation of Master List overall please.

EDIT: Also, where would we post our results?

darkNES386

Smash Lord
How is everything sorted out randomly?

How does this Master List help tie in all the groups?
I see no time schedule for players in the master list.

In addition to answering these, expand on explanation of Master List overall please.

EDIT: Also, where would we post our results?
You post your results in THIS THREAD... just as you post your registration information.

The time schedule is not on the master list... it's on the first group tab... called 20 people... I'm generating the numbers within a program I made...

Look at the first set of ids on the right side of the master page... those are the randomly selected people of the first group.

I would start taking your info now... but... we don't have our brawl codes... so kinda pointless

worldjem7

Smash Ace
Sorry I feel I should reword one of my questions.

Why is there no time schedule on the master list. Would it be a bad idea?

Also, is it safe to assume that the Master list and the "20 People" group have no correlation whatsoever? Because the Master List has each group filled with 25 people whereas the "20 People" group has... only 20 (obviously). In that example.

darkNES386

Smash Lord
please refresh the page, I had to fix that earlier
the point of the masterlist is to make sure you're registered and for me to easily make the groups... they should correlate... that was my bad.

I was just trying to demonstrate hwo it works.... check back in an hour or tomorrow... it will make more sense

EDIT: okay it's all nice and clear now... I hope it makes more sense

REFRESH THIS AFTER CLICKING ON IT

worldjem7

Smash Ace
That's much better. Everything is nice and smooth. With that set and done, I'd like to help with any extra organization you might need with this.

darkNES386

Smash Lord
Probably how do you register, and when the cut-off is for the sign up?
I'll consider a sign-up sheet around Late December so that I can see just how many people are actually interested in this tournament... not that size matters ;) . This thread might be moved then at that time to the best location and hopefully ::fingers crossed:: get stickied.

On a side note... since I have the excel spreadsheets cranking out all my work for me so well... I'm going to make it a lot easier for people to submit their results... they will simply record the name of the winner (so yes if you're good you're writing your same miiUserName everytime)... and in the case of a disconnect/failure to connect/problem... they will write the problem.... I'll make it clearer at some later point.

darkNES386

Smash Lord
woahhh... for me this looks really complicated ( i just skimmed the page though).
Any and all complications are on my shoulders. I'm just sharing everything for those that are interested. Read up to the summary and you know all you need.

Buy Brawl... find your brawl code... post your brawl code and mii name in this thread... play
PLEASE check the main post everyone...
...it's gone through some "big changes"

Top Bottom