• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

One Piece

DTKPch

Smash Journeyman
Hahahaha man... guys. I'm reading this new manga called Fairy Tail, and it's cool.

The only thing is...

Mashima Hiro's art style is almost IDENTICAL to Eiichiro Oda's. Hahahah, it's funny to read because of the art style. It's like, wth? How the hell did it get so similar. They must've worked together or something.
Yeah, I just checked out Fairy Tale. It seems pretty cool. The art style does look incredibly like Oda's, except the Fairy Tale characters go into "XD" mode a lot more.

Oh, and the entire series makes me think of MMORPGs. They started talking about mages and guilds and I was all like, "Holy crap."

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Hahahaha man... guys. I'm reading this new manga called Fairy Tail, and it's cool.

The only thing is...

Mashima Hiro's art style is almost IDENTICAL to Eiichiro Oda's. Hahahah, it's funny to read because of the art style. It's like, wth? How the hell did it get so similar. They must've worked together or something.
I remember seeing it a long time ago. I was all, "Huh? One Piece?"

I did hear it was pretty good though. I'm going to read it eventually.
At least Fairy Tale resembles One Piece with just its art.

Kinda off-topic, but look at how this manga resembles Death-Note story-wise.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost+Brain

Virgilijus

Nonnulli Laskowski praestant
BRoomer
On topic, guys!

Also, who is everyone's favorite minor character thus far? I must say I am partial to Doflamingo for some reason. Yes, he is evil and makes people kill each other and owned a slavery auction house and dresses like a pimp...but he's just too cool!

:)

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
Does Boa Hancock count as a "minor" character now that she is currently the closest character to Luffy? Hahah. Maybe I just overestimate her importance.

I really just admire the way Oda is using her character in the story in such an unexpected and interesting way. She is a cruel, proud shichibukai... but succumbs to Luffy (who never shows any sense of sexuality at all) out of a little crush. She had never experienced love for the first time, and the only time she ever felt a positive feeling toward a man was to her savior Jinbei. It seemed like destiny, almost, for her to fall in love with Luffy... Needless to say, I saw it coming. Zoro, Usopp, Franky, Brook, and especially Sanji all have their own distinct responses and attitudes toward women... Luffy shows no discrimination to either sex and will protect anyone he considers innocent, or a nakama.

Luffy doesn't even realize his own unconditional protection and pure-heartedness, so the way he treated the women in a non-sexual way was liberating for Boa... Lo and behold, she finds herself swooning over the only man ever to exist that wasn't attracted to her. It's such a unique situation, and it brings out her true colors. Even the most independent, powerful, and cruel woman could exist in Boa Hancock... but because women are born as relationship-oriented beings, even she could succumb to love.

Besides her, I am also really big fan of Buggy.

SirroMinus1

SiNiStEr MiNiStEr
NNID
Ajarudaru
Yeah, I just checked out Fairy Tale. It seems pretty cool. The art style does look incredibly like Oda's, except the Fairy Tale characters go into "XD" mode a lot more.

Oh, and the entire series makes me think of MMORPGs. They started talking about mages and guilds and I was all like, "Holy crap."
He drew another manga called monster soul with the same art style.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
Hahah, Virg we don't even know what Doflamingo's powers are. I bet he's an insanely strong fighter, I'm excited to see what it is.

BTW, It seems that pretty much ALL the Shichibukai have their own goals that stray away from what the gov't wants for them. They DO take out pirates with bounties, but they all want some goal of their own. It seems like...

Doflamingo - dominate the new world, or something
Gecko Moria - rule his little ghost land and become super powerful or whatever
Boa - previously, rule over Amazon Lily in seclusion... now to be in love with Luffy
Crocodile - Baroque Works
Jinbei - fight for his fishman brethren?
Kuma - well, he doesn't KILL his opponents... it seems like he actually might be helping them. his "bible" and "cross" themes seem like he actually wants to provide some sort of deliverance to the pirates that he vanishes
Blackbeard - dunno. haha. pirate king? i forgot what his motive was
Mihawk - dunno, maybe he's obedient to the gov't but he seems really independent so he probably isn't

Anyway, see the trend?

Hey, does anyone know what Jinbei means? The shichibukai obviously follow an animal trend, but what does Jinbei's name actually mean? is it shark or something?

SirroMinus1

SiNiStEr MiNiStEr
NNID
Ajarudaru
Hahah, Virg we don't even know what Doflamingo's powers are. I bet he's an insanely strong fighter, I'm excited to see what it is.

BTW, It seems that pretty much ALL the Shichibukai have their own goals that stray away from what the gov't wants for them. They DO take out pirates with bounties, but they all want some goal of their own. It seems like...

Doflamingo - dominate the new world, or something
Gecko Moria - rule his little ghost land and become super powerful or whatever
Boa - previously, rule over Amazon Lily in seclusion... now to be in love with Luffy
Crocodile - Baroque Works
Jinbei - fight for his fishman brethren?
Kuma - well, he doesn't KILL his opponents... it seems like he actually might be helping them. his "bible" and "cross" themes seem like he actually wants to provide some sort of deliverance to the pirates that he vanishes
Blackbeard - dunno. haha. pirate king? i forgot what his motive was
Mihawk - dunno, maybe he's obedient to the gov't but he seems really independent so he probably isn't

Anyway, see the trend?

Hey, does anyone know what Jinbei means? The shichibukai obviously follow an animal trend, but what does Jinbei's name actually mean? is it shark or something?
Im an idiot for now noticing the animal/reptile trend :urg:

Minato

穏やかじゃない
New chapter was great.

Can't wait to see Ace, Luffy, and Buggy all breaking out of Impel Down.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Quite an interesting new chapter.
I'm curious as to what role Buggy is going to play in all of this. No doubt Whitebeard is going to kick large sums of *** of his own as well.
Looking forward the to next chapter.

Also, who is everyone's favorite minor character thus far?
Boa Hancock if she truly is nothing more than minor.

Would Oz be considered minor or major?
I also think Perona is pretty cool. Her fight with Usopp was too funny.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
This is intense. Nothing crazy happened in this chapter really, but I'm psyched to see how it all unfolds.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
How is HxH? I'm planning on reading it.
It's different. It's made by Togashi (Yu Yu Hakusho's author). I suppose the manga's a hit or miss. The bad points for this manga is how Togashi takes a lot of hiatuses and the artwork goes from detailed pieces to a bunch of scribbles, no joke. He does redraw his chapters when they're released in volumes, however.

As for One Piece

They tease us by mentioning Buggy, and there's no chapter this week!?

SirroMinus1

SiNiStEr MiNiStEr
NNID
Ajarudaru
It's different. It's made by Togashi (Yu Yu Hakusho's author). I suppose the manga's a hit or miss. The bad points for this manga is how Togashi takes a lot of hiatuses and the artwork goes from detailed pieces to a bunch of scribbles, no joke. He does redraw his chapters when they're released in volumes, however.

As for One Piece

They tease us by mentioning Buggy, and there's no chapter this week!?
thanks ill read it though. it looks cool

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
I watched this anime and thought it sucks. This is exactly like Naruto, but it's with pirates. And the fruit super-power arc did not help me at all.

Feel free to flame please.
Fruit super-power arc?
I don't remember any arc based around the Devil fruits. Anime filler?
This is quite different from Naruto though, One Piece does not suck.

I also recommend HxH, the hiatuses and bad art can get annoying though.

SirroMinus1

SiNiStEr MiNiStEr
NNID
Ajarudaru
I watched this anime and thought it sucks. This is exactly like Naruto, but it's with pirates. And the fruit super-power arc did not help me at all.

Feel free to flame please.

How is one piece like naruto when one piece was first?
There was no super power arc.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
lol, if people get a bad impression of one piece because of the anime, that's their fault

they should go for the manga first, way better

Virgilijus

BRoomer
The manga is head and shoulders above the anime. Then again, the original form of any art is typically better than it's translation to another.

That said, this weeks spoiler needs to come out soon!

SirroMinus1

SiNiStEr MiNiStEr
NNID
Ajarudaru
another epic way to end a chapter this was well worth the wait. Buggy & Luffy working together Epic!

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I'm sad that there's no Jump next week. One Piece and Naruto were getting interesting too...

Virgilijus

BRoomer
New SPoilers!

Buggy explains how his powers work, he promises to take Luffy to Ace if Luffy gives him his armband from Thriller Bark (it's actually a treasure), they get chased into Level 2 and jump down a giant hole but Buggy's head get's trapped, and Mr. 3 is randomly at the end.

Merry Christmas! :)

SirroMinus1

SiNiStEr MiNiStEr
NNID
Ajarudaru
New SPoilers!

Buggy explains how his powers work, he promises to take Luffy to Ace if Luffy gives him his armband from Thriller Bark (it's actually a treasure), they get chased into Level 2 and jump down a giant hole but Buggy's head get's trapped, and Mr. 3 is randomly at the end.

Merry Christmas! :)
i thought there was no new chapter.

OMG I FEEL SO PRO POSTING FROM MY LAPTOP MERRY FING XMAS!!!!

-NEOLINK-

Smash Journeyman
i thought there was no new chapter.

OMG I FEEL SO PRO POSTING FROM MY LAPTOP MERRY FING XMAS!!!!
Yeah I thought there wasn't supposed to be a new chapter this week, oh well its good news for One Piece fans. Virgilijus is probably just magic and made it happen or something.
Wait so Buggy has a limit of how far he can separate? Or is that picture just telling about how he has to keep his feet on the floor?

Virgilijus

BRoomer
Both: he has to have his feet on the ground to move his parts in the air and there is only a certain radius they can go before falling back to the ground.

And I wish I could make One Piece appear every week :)

-NEOLINK-

Smash Journeyman
I finally caught up to the recent episodes in the anime and I gotta say Bink's Sake is a great song and it was a really touching scene
when the Rumbar Pirates were dying off :(.
I am really surprised at how close the anime is to catching up with the manga. It's a good thing Oda can really make a lot happen each chapter.(unlike Naruto and Bleach)
I'm not dissing them though as I like them both, but I think that they move at too slow of a pace.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
agreed. there is so much to each one piece chapter which makes the manga such a rich and exhilarating read

i spend a long time looking at each page each week because of the detail and dialogue

this chapter was great. i can't wait to see how
mr. 3
interacts with luffy

Top Bottom