• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

One of the original 8 characters has to be cut. Who should it be?

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
Samus, because I dont care about Metroid, but more important than that, I hate that her down special looks like she is pooping.

Last edited:

Bobert

"...And His Music Was Electric"
NNID
MetallicBlur
Switch FC
SW-1415-6753-4608
If we were still in the 90's, Yoshi is the obvious pick. He made a name for himself sure, but he's tied to another character that's much more iconic and is technically a sidekick/spinoff character.

If the game was released today though? Probably still Yoshi, or Fox. Fox, if not having any new/good games is the issue. Yoshi, if we want to keep series and genre representation diverse.

I know. Very original opinion, right?

Last edited:

volbound1700

Smash Master
All of the original 8 are iconic and the leads in major series. Samus might be the weakest link but even She is still the lead of a major franchise. (We just got Star Fox Zero which did very well so Star Fox is still big. The rest all speak for themselves as they are the leads of MAJOR franchises not just at Nintendo but of Gaming in general).

Now when you take the full 12, Captain Falcon, Jigglypuff, and Ness are not as iconic and as someone pointed out in a previous post may not have made it should Smash Bros had started today.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
:ultyoshi: only because it's more engulfed as a Mario character than any of the other members are in another series. Otherwise :ultfox:

Buuhan

Is mayonnaise an instrument?
See the title for the prompt.

Another fun game— (should I make a new thread for this?)— Smash Bros. only has 8 characters now. Which 8 should they be?

Here’s my list—

Mario
Ryu
Donkey Kong
Luigi
Pikachu
Samus
Link
Ganondorf
Mario
Pikachu
Donkey kong
Pacman
Link
Ryu
Mega man
Sanic
Kirby
Samus
Ice climbers
Fox

Last edited:

Zuby

Smash Journeyman
For me the character to cut is Yoshi because like others have said I still see him as part of the Mario series. That said, I always enjoyed Yoshi's Island far more than any of the main Mario games.

As much as I love what Star Fox used to be it's hard to make an argument to save Fox at this point in time. It's been so badly mismanaged over the last 10-15 years that it's hard to see it coming back. I'd suggest rebooting it but rebooting it every other game is part of the problem in the first place, so unlikely to help.

As for who the 8 should be if we were starting today, that's a tricky question to answer. Originally this was supposed to be showcasing Nintendo characters, although the importance of that was removed for Brawl and diminished ever since. We've now had third parties longer than we didn't have them, so I guess they would be included in a new starting roster. Third parties matching their current representation proportion (14%) which gets rounded down to 1 rep.

Based on all-time:
1. Mario
2. Pikachu
3. Mii (Not one of the current Mii Fighters, but some kind of new version that probably references Wii Sports, Wii Fit etc.)
4. Link
5. Donkey Kong
6. Mr. Game & Watch
7. Kirby
8. Villager / Steve (Minecraft) if third parties are included.

Based on the current state:
1. Mario
2. Pikachu
3. Mii
4. Link
5. Inkling
6. Kirby (like he's ever going to get cut)
7. Villager
8. Robin / Steve (Minecraft) if third parties are included.

Note: I have never played Minecraft and have no particular desire for Steve to be added - but it's the 2nd highest selling game of all time after Tetris so I can't really pretend it's not realistic.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
In all seriousness, of the original 8 :ultfox: is the most likely to get cut due to having new releases coming out at a snail's pace. But considering his popularity within the Smash community, I'd reckon that would never happen.

To alter the topic slightly, if we expanded this to the original 12,:ultness: is the most likely to get the boot. Sakurai stated that he wanted to remove him before, and the Earthbound series has been stagnant for a very long time. :ultfalcon: would be next, obviously. :ultjigglypuff: would be an easy third. Jigs wasn't even going to be in Brawl, they were decided last minute alongside :wolf: and :toonlink:, which is why they're not in Subspace.

Last edited:

Karapian

Smash Rookie
Bruh, the Original 8 can seriously go suck it. Had itnot been Smash’s current popularity, I doubt we’d be bring up half of these characters. People dogging on Yoshi over the likes of Samus baffles me. Looking at this through Nintendo’s money eyes, I’d be rolling on the floor from laughter if they threw in Fox or Samus, they’re not well known enough, and sure, call me out, especially when people were hyped at E3 for Metroid 4 and it’s currently running hype for that game, but I’d bet you in an alternate reality where Smash didn’t exist about a quarter of those fans wouldn’t have nearly given a flying nut, nor even exist to begin with given its straight obscurity. Mario, DK, and Yoshi representing Mario is fine by me, considering I’d bet if you drew Yoshi on a crosswalk in New York or Tokyo, people would be passing by like “hey cute, that’s Yoshi” and being proud for recognizing that character. That’s what Nintendo wants, first and foremost. I’ve played most of the Metroid games, and Starfox 64, but for the majority of people, these characters are seemingly more popular than normal because of their Smash representation, Mario included. I’d actually put in a Mii before literally half of these characters because I know that’d sell more than any of these main stays.

grizby2

Smash Lord
Original 8: :ultyoshi:

Yoshi will always be a Mario character to me. I don't think Yoshi was necessary in 64, but I can hardly imagine an alternate timeline where Yoshi didn't eventually get into smash at some point.

Original 12: :ultjigglypuff:

I think there was a lot of other pokemon that could have made it into smash that were cooler than jiggs, just my opinion. also, Kirby already played the role as the resident pink puffball, so why did we need another one? we could have had banjo kazooie right from the get-go! but they just HAD to put jigglypuff in didn't they? I also think the moveset that they gave jiggs really... doesn't.. match the kind of things a jigglypuff WOULD do in the pokemon universe, for example, why does rest do crazy damage and not heal? that doesn't happen in pokemon at all.. it also hasn't caught up with the times in terms of pokemon either! for example, why is side B Pound and not double slap, or wake-up slap or even more accurate to its function BRICK BREAK? why didn't they give jigg's more sparkly effects, given that its a FAIRY type pokemon now? it just seems like a lost opportunity. I don't HATE jigglypuff or anything, its just that I was never impressed by jigglypuff. it was always a "oh, that's in the game I guess" kind of character for me. jiggs simply hitched a ride to glory because of smash bros and SOME appearences in the anime...

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Original 8?

Probably either :ultsamus: or :ultfox: as they were the only ones I'd never even heard of at the time.

Extend that to the original 12 and :ultness: or :ultfalcon:get cut instead as at least Samus and Fox are getting new games. I'd cut Puff as I still think it should have been Meowth to this day, but at least Puff is more recognisable.

:ultyoshi: seems like the ideal solution to some due to representation (just put him with Mario, etc), but quite frankly; **** 'balance'.
Yoshi's Island is an incredible game, Crafted World's damn good and even Wooly World had it's moments. He's a massively popular character in his own right after all that rivals or even surpasses some of the other Original 8.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
See the title for the prompt.

Another fun game— (should I make a new thread for this?)— Smash Bros. only has 8 characters now. Which 8 should they be?

Here’s my list—

Mario
Ryu
Donkey Kong
Luigi
Pikachu
Samus
Link
Ganondorf
So the title is one game, and the post is another game?

... and in your game, you keep Link and Ganondorf, for some unexplained reason???

ANYWAY, of the original 8: :mario64::dk64::kirby64::fox64::pikachu64::yoshi64::samus64::link64:
I'd probably cut Fox, if it had to be a character to never return.
If they could return, Id ax Yoshi, making each a true icon of an original series.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Probably samus, since at that point she was pretty irrelevant

Last edited:

ganondorf_22

Smash Journeyman
So the title is one game, and the post is another game?

... and in your game, you keep Link and Ganondorf, for some unexplained reason???

ANYWAY, of the original 8: :mario64::dk64::kirby64::fox64::pikachu64::yoshi64::samus64::link64:
I'd probably cut Fox, if it had to be a character to never return.
If they could return, Id ax Yoshi, making each a true icon of an original series.
Yeah. I kept them because Link is the main star of the Zelda games, and Ganondorf is a good character.

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
Star Fox should've been dragged out of Smash, kicking and screaming on the way out, after Smash 64. You can't change my mind.

As for the other game, :ultmario::ultlink::ultpikachu::ultkirby::ultsamus::ultsonic: and then pick two from :ultinkling::ultmarth::ultvillager::ultpit::ultmiifighters:.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Incineroar's got two viable recovery moves that cover good distance??
ah yes, worse versions of Jolt Haymaker and Aether. That totally makes him have a better recovery than Yoshi, who has the fastest air-speed and the second-best double jump in the game.

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
I think :ultfox: just seems like the least relevant fighter of the original eight, so I would probably cut him. Really though, cutting anyone else from the original eight except maybe :ultsamus: just seems stupid because :ultmario:, :ultyoshi:, :ultdk:, :ultlink:, :ultkirby:, and :ultpikachu: are still very relevant characters.

Buuhan

Is mayonnaise an instrument?
You do realize that yoshis recovery is way better then inceneroars correct? ALSO, what do you mean “viable recovery’s”? The only time when his up b is viable is when your trying to cheese your opponent off stage. His side b is just plain bad for recovering.

Imagine being in a world where jigglypuff and marth are top two in melee rankings? That must be nice.

soyperson

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-6207-2383-9806
You do realize that yoshis recovery is way better then inceneroars correct? ALSO, what do you mean “viable recovery’s”? The only time when his up b is viable is when your trying to cheese your opponent off stage. His side b is just plain bad for recovering.
I rarely have trouble getting back onstage unless I totally botch a DI or something. Incineroar works for me, so I don't feel much need to defend my choices.
But yes, I still say Yoshi.

As for a new Eight, made to be "relevant" to today's Nintendo:
:ultmario::ultlink::ultpokemontrainer::ultinkling::ultvillager::ultlucina::ultkirby::ultdk:
(With :ultsonic: :ultpacman: :ultmegaman:and :ultryu: as DLC)

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
:ultyoshi: cause he get's the short end of the stick and here's why:
-No second rep for him
-Utterly terrible recovery (why hasn't Sakurai added a tether for Yoshi?)
-Not even in cutscenes from World of Light or in the newcomer trailers
-Doesn't eat items (Wario can do this, why not Yoshi?)
-Always the last with Luigi
-Sakurai doesn't care about him
-GETS. IGNORED. SO. MUCH!
Poor Yoshi...

Last edited:

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
*cries in Metroid 2 Remake*
I didn't say Samus isn't relevant, I'm saying she's less relevant than six out of the other seven original cast members. Nintendo is still making games for the Mario, Legend of Zelda, Kirby, and Pokémon franchises like crazy. From 2009 to 2018, the amount of games made for each franchise are...

5 - Donkey Kong
9 - Legend of Zelda
4 - Metroid
13 - Kirby
4 - Star Fox
16 - Pokémon

Wikipedia didn't have anything useful on list of Yoshi games from what I could find, and there are too many Mario based subfranchises to accurately count, but the Super Mario, Mario Kart, and Mario Party franchises alone sum up to 21 games. Also, the franchises in order from best selling to worst selling according to a Wikipedia page is Mario, Pokémon, Legend of Zelda, Donkey Kong, Kirby, Yoshi, Metroid, and Star Fox. Bear in mind that Donkey Kong and Yoshi not only have their standalone franchises beating Metroid, but they also have close ties to Mario games giving them even more spotlight. People just aren't buying Metroid titles, and Nintendo isn't making as many of them as more established franchises.

I'm just using data to support what I think would be the most logical option in the case of this particular thread. Fox would be that character, but Samus isn't an unreasonable option.

Last edited:

Weenuk

Smash Cadet
original 8: yoshi, **** that character

original 12: still yoshi

Yoshi_smash

Smash Apprentice
I'd also have to go Yoshi since everyone else is basically the faces of their own franchises before anything else.
It bothers me that so many people want to cut Yoshi from the original 8 roster (at least, in this hypothetical scenario thread). Yoshi is my favorite character and he should always be in every smash game no matter what.

I counted 19 people in this thread who said Yoshi should be cut. That really makes me sad. Why is Yoshi so unpopular? He is arguably the most unique character in the game.

People seem to have hostility towards Yoshi -- for example, in this quote:

Yoshi. Little no-recovery-move-having garbage turtle horse
Calling Yoshi "garbage" is mean.
As for the original question, I'd cut either Link :ultlink: or Samus :ultsamus:

Last edited:

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
Honestly it would probably have to be Yoshi. I feel like the Original 8 has the most absolute staying power in the series, to the point where I feel like they would cut all of the four secret characters before any of them. Yoshi seems to have been given the short end of the stick in the series, even being mistaken as a Mario character in the layout for Smash 4 even.

Last edited:

CodakTheWarrior

Smash Ace
It bothers me that so many people want to cut Yoshi from the original 8 roster (at least, in this hypothetical scenario thread). Yoshi is my favorite character and he should always be in every smash game no matter what.

I counted 19 people in this thread who said Yoshi should be cut. That really makes me sad. Why is Yoshi so unpopular? He is arguably the most unique character in the game. If there was a "dislike" button, I would've made lots of dislikes in this thread.

People seem to have hostility towards Yoshi -- for example, in this quote:

Calling Yoshi "garbage" is mean.
As for the original question, I'd cut either Link :ultlink: or Samus :ultsamus:
Why cut link? Zelda is one of the most popular gaming series ever that would make no sense in the slightest

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Honestly it would probably have to be Yoshi. I feel like the Original 8 has the most absolute staying power in the series, to the point where I feel like they would cut all of the four secret characters before any of them. Yoshi seems to have been given the short end of the stick in the series, even being mistaken as a Mario character in the layout for Smash 4 even.
Yes, Yoshi's series got the short end of the stick in Smash, but I don't see how that's grounds for being cut. I'm pretty sure DK and Metroid fans would tell you the same prior to Smash Ultimate, and they didn't give up...

BonafideFella

Smash Journeyman
:ultfox: for numerous reasons...
  • His series isn't doing too hot, being in this weird limbo of rumors and cameos (Smash included)
  • The most recent entry in his franchise, Star Fox Zero, was greeted with mixed reviews and the series' worst sales in Japan.
  • Most of his moveset's made up, since he was mostly featured in the Arwing during 64's development.

Top Bottom