• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

One of the original 8 characters has to be cut. Who should it be?

NuzTheMonkey

Smash Apprentice
does nobody see the objective irony in these statements? don't mind me, just inserting a little bit of invisible text for dramatic effect. nobody?

anyways, i looked over a few things before posting this. i don't see any reason why we should be responding to this person. he's not a troll or anything (from what i have seen), but he has began to simply restate his opinions over and over again with what seems to be some hope that others will change theirs. his posts are getting fairly repetitive to a point of outright spam. i think it's best we stop replying.
Yep, that seems right.

Anyways, I would omit Fox, I don’t feel like his games were as impactful.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Everyone is entitled to their opinion
Finally you figured it out! Wait....
but can people stop excluding Yoshi already?
....what? You literally just said people are entitled to their opinion. They can exclude Yoshi if they want and don't have to listen to you, because they are entitled to their opinion. Stop acting like you have the right to request that people change their opinion.
It would be nice if there was a little bit of variety (i.e. choosing a different character to exclude, such as Link, Kirby, Samus or Donkey Kong).
But most people agree that Yoshi is the most fit of the original 8 to be cut. They simply have different opinions than you, can you believe it? Besides, cutting any of the four characters you mentioned would probably be more ridiculous than Yoshi anyway. Explain why any of them deserve to be cut over Yoshi.
Yoshi's games are not overrated.
I think they are. I didn't like them.
  1. Yoshi's games are not boring.
I found Yoshi's Wooly World to be pretty boring and I regret spending $40 on it.
  1. Yoshi is not an annoying character.
I disagree. His voice and repetitive lines annoy me a ton. It's like listening to a three year old try to read a picture book out loud but they can only understand one word. Plus he's pretty annoying to pay against.
  1. Your reasoning seems to be largely based on hostility toward Yoshi in general.
That's their opinion. Do you really know what an opinion is? Here, I'll give you the definition:
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/opinion.

opinion
noun
opin·ion | \ ə-ˈpin-yən \
Definition of opinion

1a: a view, judgment, or appraisal formed in the mind about a particular matter. "We asked them for their opinions about the new stadium."
b: APPROVAL, ESTEEM. "I have no great opinion of his work."
2a: belief stronger than impression and less strong than positive knowledge "a person of rigid opinions"
b: a generally held viewnews programs that shape public opinion
3a: a formal expression of judgment or advice by an expert. "My doctor says that I need an operation, but I'm going to get a second opinion."
b: the formal expression (as by a judge, court, or referee) of the legal reasons and principles upon which a legal decision is based. "The article discusses the recent Supreme Court opinion."

You said it yourself: People are entitled to their opinion. And if their opinion means they don't like Yoshi and they're hostile toward him, you should still respect it.
  1. Why are people liking a post in which is Yoshi is being called annoying?
Because it's their opinion and they obviously don't like some of Yoshi's traits. I explained why I find him to be annoying.
People are saying they would exclude Yoshi without explaining their reasons.
They don't have to. Maybe it's because every time they do you quote their post and advocate for Yoshi and demand that they change their opinion, which is ridiculous. Nobody is going to change their opinion just because you asked. It's their opinion. They're entitled to it. If people don't want Yoshi in the game than get. Over. It.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

People are saying they would exclude Yoshi without explaining their reasons.
My bad bro, i forgot to explain my reason for cutting him. Boshi is 500 times cooler than Yoshi.

Edit: I would've included a picture of Yoshi's cooler counterpart but unfortunately the mobile site doesnt want to cooperate with me.

Last edited by a moderator:

scoobymcsnack

Smash Journeyman
I'd probably cut Fox. Sure, you could argue that Yoshi is a secondary character to the Mario series, but he feels much more like a recognizable and popular character. If I had to cut a second character, it'd probably be Yoshi, but my first choice is Fox

Yoshi_smash

Smash Apprentice
As for Smash purposes, Mario is still mentioned in a bunch of Yoshi's trophies from the previous Smash games. He's not as seperated as you want people to think.
In Smash games, Yoshi has an egg icon (not a mushroom icon like all the Mario characters). Also, when Yoshi wins a match, "Yoshi's Story" music plays (not Super Mario music). I can see why some people would call Yoshi a Mario character, but the creators of Smash games gave Yoshi a distinct identity.

Besides, cutting any of the four characters you mentioned would probably be more ridiculous than Yoshi anyway. Explain why any of them deserve to be cut over Yoshi.
No, it would not be more ridiculous. Cutting Yoshi is ridiculous. I already explained it in previous posts, so I'm not going to repeat myself.

I disagree. His voice and repetitive lines annoy me a ton. It's like listening to a three year old try to read a picture book out loud but they can only understand one word. Plus he's pretty annoying to pay against.

Because it's their opinion and they obviously don't like some of Yoshi's traits. I explained why I find him to be annoying.
The point of this thread is "who should be cut from the original 8", not "let's criticize a character" (in this case, Yoshi). Even if people find Yoshi to be annoying (which he isn't), that alone is not a good reason to cut him from the roster.

Hey everyone not named Yoshi_smash, lets all agree not to argue with him any further. He contradicted himself numerous times and we debunked his arguments. We would be smashing our heads against a brickwall trying to reason with him any further.
I didn't contradict myself, and my arguments were not "debunked". I explained in previous posts why Donkey Kong, Kirby, Samus or Fox are more worthy of exclusion than Yoshi.

Last edited:

NuzTheMonkey

Smash Apprentice
But you don't decide the criteria for that.

People can exclude whatever character they want, for whatever reason they want.

D

Deleted member

Hey everyone not named Yoshi_smash, lets all agree not to argue with him any further. He contradicted himself numerous times and we debunked his arguments. We would be smashing our heads against a brickwall trying to reason with him any further.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
The point of this thread is "who should be cut from the original 8", not "let's criticize a character" (in this case, Yoshi). Even if people find Yoshi to be annoying (which he isn't), that alone is not a good reason to cut him from the roster.
You don't decide the criteria for anything on this thread. I feel like Yoshi is an annoying overrated side character with little relevance anymore and mediocre games. I would care less if he got cut. He's certainly an icon in his own way but if I was forced to cut one member of the original 8 I personally see Yoshi as the least qualified to remain. He's a secondary.
No, it would not be more ridiculous. Cutting Yoshi is ridiculous. I already explained it in previous posts, so I'm not going to repeat myself.
You explained nothing. You brought forth your opinions and treated them as fact and then literally asked people to change their opinions because they disagreed with you. Did...did you seriously expect people to suddenly change their stance on Yoshi because you requested them to? Anyway, even if you think what you said was an explanation, you can't just pull a Mark Zuckerberg on us and refuse to explain why cutting any of the characters you mentioned wouldn't be ridiculous if you want anyone to take you seriously.

Last edited:

Yoshi_smash

Smash Apprentice
You don't decide the criteria for anything on this thread. I feel like Yoshi is an annoying overrated side character with little relevance anymore and mediocre games. I would care less if he got cut.

You explained nothing. You brought forth your opinions and treated them as fact and then literally asked people to change their opinions because they disagreed with you. Did...did you seriously expect people to suddenly change their stance on Yoshi because you requested them to? Anyway, even if you think what you said was an explanation, you can't just pull a Mark Zuckerberg on us and refuse to explain why cutting any of the characters you mentioned wouldn't be ridiculous if you want anyone to take you seriously.
Your hostility toward Yoshi is not a valid reason to cut Yoshi from the roster. If someone said they thought Link was annoying and overrated, would that make Link worthy of being cut?

The reason Yoshi is more worthy of being in the "Original 8" than other characters such as Samus is because Yoshi is iconic, recognizable, has his own series / franchise, and helped develop the platforming genre with games such as Yoshi's Island. Yoshi is part of the legacy of Nintendo (much like Pikachu). Yoshi is not a "side character" in more than 90% of the game's he's in (i.e. he's a playable standalone character). In other words, Yoshi is not a "secondary character". As I said earlier, I think Link or Samus should be cut.

The question of who would be cut from the Original 8 is a thought exercise anyway, as in real life no one from the Original 8 would ever be cut. Still, Yoshi should not be cut.

This whole obnoxious ordeal made me realize how extremely overrated Yoshi is, hes way less important than i thought he was.

His platformers dont age as well as Mario's ( where hes an item lmao ) Dk's, or Wario's. Where the latter character's platformers are enjoyed by all ages Yoshi's games are only enjoyed toddlers. His platformers are baby's first platformers, Yoshi makes Kirby look like Travis Touchdown. If Nintendo were to stop making Yoshi games nothing of any value would be lost, matter of fact that dev time could be spent on actual important franchises lmao.
Everything in the above quote is incorrect. Yoshi is not "overrated", and his games have aged well. Yoshi is not an "item" in more than 90% of the games he's in. Yoshi's games are enjoyed by all ages. If Yoshi games stopped being made, it would be a huge loss. Yoshi's franchise is an important franchise. Also, what does the above quote have to do with the subject of this thread?

The reason people aren’t taking you seriously is because you are saying such silly stuff like link or Samus should be cut.
It's not "silly". Stop ridiculing my opinion.

Why is it so easy for you to chastise other people's opinions but so hard to respect them?
You called my opinion "[F-word] ridiculous drivel" -- that's not a respectful thing to say. You're telling me to be respectful to others, yet you aren't respectful to me.

Since when did you decide the criteria in this thread?
Since when did your criteria (i.e. Samus and Link not being cut) become a requirement?

Can you take a moment to consider what you've said so far? You're arguing that Yoshi is more iconic and more deserving of being in Smash than Samus, Donkey Kong, or Link.
Yes I am arguing that, and you should respect it. (Yet you call it "ridiculous drivel").

Now, you refuse to even formulate an argument, instead resorting to regurgitating the same information you already tossed at us.
I did formulate an argument; you just didn't acknowledge it.

Yoshi, I suppose, mainly because the other seven characters represent unique series that aren't connected to each other (Mario and DK only meet in spin-offs). Also I hate playing as him.
Yoshi obviously. There's already a Mario character in the original 8.
As I've already said, Yoshi is not a "Mario character" in the Smash series.

Maybe it isn’t very appropriate to say this in this moment, but if I had to cut one of the Original 8, it would definitely be Yoshi.

Don’t get me wrong, but I’d argue that, unlike the other Original 8, he was created as a sidekick. DK is way too iconic even as a villain and the other 6 are too important.
Yoshi is not a "sidekick" in more than 90% of the games he's in.

Also, saying that Yoshi is an "item" is not a good argument. Yoshi is not an "item" in almost every game he appears in (i.e. every Super Smash Bros. game, Yoshi's Island, Yoshi's Story, Yoshi's Woolly World, etc.)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

User was warned for this post; trolling
This whole obnoxious ordeal made me realize how extremely overrated Yoshi is, hes way less important than i thought he was.

His platformers dont age as well as Mario's ( where hes an item lmao ) Dk's, or Wario's. Where the latter character's platformers are enjoyed by all ages Yoshi's games are only enjoyed toddlers. His platformers are baby's first platformers, Yoshi makes Kirby look like Travis Touchdown. If Nintendo were to stop making Yoshi games nothing of any value would be lost, matter of fact that dev time could be spent on actual important franchises lmao.

CodakTheWarrior

Smash Ace
Your hostility toward Yoshi is not a valid reason to cut Yoshi from the roster. If someone said they thought Link was annoying and overrated, would that make Link worthy of being cut?

The reason Yoshi is more worthy of of being in the "Original 8" than other characters such as Samus is because Yoshi is iconic, recognizable, has his own series / franchise, and helped develop the platforming genre with games such as Yoshi's Island. Yoshi is part of the legacy of Nintendo (much like Pikachu). Yoshi is not a "side character" in more than 90% of the game's he's in (i.e. he's a playable standalone character). As I said earlier, I think Link or Samus should be cut.

The question of who would be cut from the Original 8 is a thought exercise anyway, as in real life no one from the Original 8 would ever be cut.
The reason people aren’t taking you seriously is because you are saying such silly stuff like link or Samus should be cut. Not yet to this point have you explained WHY either of those two should be cut, and that’s likely because you don’t have any good reasons; cutting either of those two would make NO sense, in any capacity.

Also, you realize the more you try to ‘defend’ Yoshi it’s causing people to hate him more right? If you would step back and, I don’t know, maybe acknowledge some of the stuff people were saying then maybe this could be a civilized discussion, but you just incessantly defending Yoshi like this is just ridiculous at this point. You’re making the character look bad and need to really just step back and actually look at what people are saying, it would do everyone here some good I think, yourself included

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Since when did you decide the criteria in this thread? That was made by the OP. I'm not "hostile" toward Yoshi in any way. I explained my reasons as to why Yoshi deserves to be cut more than anyone else. And even if hostility is my only explanation, than that's my opinion and you should respect it.
Yoshi is not "overrated"
That's your opinion. Stop treating as a fact. In my opinion, Yoshi is very overrated.
The reason Yoshi is more worthy of being in the "Original 8" than other characters such as Samus is because Yoshi is iconic, recognizable, has his own series / franchise, and helped develop the platforming genre with games such as Yoshi's Island.
Yes....and so did Samus, in the form of Metroid-vanias. You forgot about that. You still have not explained anything as to what makes other characters less worthy of being in the game than Yoshi. All you have done is repeated "Yoshi helped make a series" (we know that), "Yoshi is iconic and recognizable" (so is everyone else) "Yoshi is in his own series" (so is everyone else), and "Yoshi helped develop platformers" (not really). Nothing you have said doesn't apply to Samus, Donkey kong, Link, etc.

Can you take a moment to consider what you've said so far? You're arguing that Yoshi is more iconic and more deserving of being in Smash than Samus, Donkey Kong, or Link. Then, when people started criticizing your drivel, you begged them to change their opinions on Yoshi compared to other characters, asking for "more diversity" in who people would remove. Now, you refuse to even formulate an argument, instead resorting to regurgitating the same information you already tossed at us. I feel like this isn't even a discussion anymore.

I'm not saying I want Yoshi to be cut. I would be heartbroken if anyone was cut. But if I was under the gun and forced to remove one fighter, Yoshi simply comes first to mind. Why is it so easy for you to chastise other people's opinions but so hard to respect them?
Yoshi is part of the legacy of Nintendo (much like Pikachu).
Pikachu has nothing to do with this. I never mentioned Pikachu.

Last edited:

KingBroly

Smash Lord
Samus, because her moveset is terrible and Nintendo doesn't know what to do with the series anymore, and probably hasn't understood it since Yokoi left to make the Wonderswan.

Sans3546

Smash Cadet
this turned into a toxic debate about yoshi rather than a conversation about which of the original eight should be removed. i meant it when i said i think it's best that we stop replying to this guy because he's trying to derail this thread.

NuzTheMonkey

Smash Apprentice

The reason Yoshi is more worthy of being in the "Original 8" than other characters such as Samus is because Yoshi is iconic, recognizable, has his own series / franchise, and helped develop the platforming genre with games such as Yoshi's Island. Yoshi is part of the legacy of Nintendo (much like Pikachu). Yoshi is not a "side character" in more than 90% of the game's he's in (i.e. he's a playable standalone character). In other words, Yoshi is not a "secondary character". As I said earlier, I think Link or Samus should be cut.

The question of who would be cut from the Original 8 is a thought exercise anyway, as in real life no one from the Original 8 would ever be cut.

Everything in the above quote is incorrect. Yoshi is not "overrated", and his games have aged well. Yoshi is not an "item" in more than 90% of the games he's in. Yoshi's games are enjoyed by all ages. If Yoshi games stopped being made, it would be a huge loss. Yoshi's franchise is an important franchise. Also, what does the above quote have to do with the subject of this thread?

It's not "silly". Stop ridiculing my opinion.

You called my opinion "[F-word] ridiculous drivel" -- that's not a respectful thing to say. You're telling me to be respectful to others, yet you aren't respectful to me.

Since when did your criteria (i.e. Samus and Link not being cut) become a requirement?

Yes I am arguing that, and you should respect it. (Yet you call it "ridiculous drivel").

I did formulate an argument; you just didn't acknowledge it.
Why do you keep repeating the same thing? Again you say that "x" is not a valid reason to cut a character when that is not true. ANYBODY CAN CUT ANY CHARACTER, FOR ANY REASON THEY WANT. If you believe Yoshi is more worthy than Samus for those reasons, sure, but that doesn't mean you get to decide what is a "valid" reason to cut someone from the roster, because the OP never states "you can't cut someone for "x" reason".

Yoshi's game not being overrated is a matter of perception and opinion. I'm surrounded by friends who really like the Yoshi series and praise it, while I'm not a fan of it, which is why I find them overrated. You don't decide whether his games are overrated or not.

Since when did your criteria (i.e Yoshi not being cut) become a requirement?

I think that if you believe Yoshi is more worthy of being in Smash, than the likes of Link, Samus and DK, that's up to you. No one can discredit that. But neither can you discredit others opinions, and tell them not to choose Yoshi.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but can people stop excluding Yoshi already?
Ultimately, people can choose whoever they want (to exclude), but it is getting tiring seeing every person choose Yoshi. Choose someone else.
You also don't respond to Sans3546 pointing out the contradiction in your statement, because you know that you are trying to force people to choose Yoshi, or at least, that is how you come across from these messages.

he should always be in every smash game no matter what.
This was one of his first posts. Like c'mon man, why are we even arguing with him?

Last edited:

DBPirate

Smash Apprentice
Yoshi, I suppose, mainly because the other seven characters represent unique series that aren't connected to each other (Mario and DK only meet in spin-offs). Also I hate playing as him.

Last edited:

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
I'm going to have to agree with what seems to be an unpopular opinion in this thread and say that I don't think Yoshi should be a candidate for removal. I don't see him as a Mario character, but rather someone who has had enough experience as his own franchise which thanks to Mario has sold better than ones like Metroid and Star Fox. To add to that, the Mario franchise further boosts his popularity.

He's more of an icon than at least two other characters. Sure you can argue that he gets the short end of the stick in every game, that he is an unfair fighter to play against in more recent games, or that his crimes of tax fraud should have him in jail instead, but I don't think anyone thinking about this through the perspective of a wide variety of consumers would agree that Yoshi is a candidate for removal.

NuzTheMonkey

Smash Apprentice
I mean tbh, this whole thread is kinda ridiculous, but whatever. It goes to show you really can’t touch the OG 8.

Someone should make a thread where you choose to remove one character from each games new characters. Wait....

My idea don’t steal it!

Oddball

Smash Lord
I'm going to have to agree with what seems to be an unpopular opinion in this thread and say that I don't think Yoshi should be a candidate for removal. I don't see him as a Mario character, but rather someone who has had enough experience as his own franchise which thanks to Mario has sold better than ones like Metroid and Star Fox. To add to that, the Mario franchise further boosts his popularity.

He's more of an icon than at least two other characters. Sure you can argue that he gets the short end of the stick in every game, that he is an unfair fighter to play against in more recent games, or that his crimes of tax fraud should have him in jail instead, but I don't think anyone thinking about this through the perspective of a wide variety of consumers would agree that Yoshi is a candidate for removal.
So, if not Yoshi then who? Which are the other two characters you see as less iconic?

LoZ00

Smash Journeyman
Maybe it isn’t very appropriate to say this in this moment, but if I had to cut one of the Original 8, it would definitely be Yoshi.
Don’t get me wrong, but I’d argue that, unlike the other Original 8, he was created as a sidekick. DK is way too iconic even as a villain and the other 6 are too important.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I mean under the right conditions it wouldn't be inappropriate to cut Yoshi but recently we've had people policing this thread and chastising those who disagree with their opinion.

For the sake of it I'm going to say that if not Yoshi then Fox would probably be the next to be cut for also having dwindling relevance. After that I would treat the rest of the Original 8 with immunity.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I mean under the right conditions it wouldn't be inappropriate to cut Yoshi but recently we've had people policing this thread and chastising those who disagree with their opinion.

For the sake of it I'm going to say that if not Yoshi then Fox would probably be the next to be cut for also having dwindling relevance. After that I would treat the rest of the Original 8 with immunity.
Yoshi_smash went so far the went to other people's profiles to shove his opinion down their throats

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
Yoshi_smash went so far the went to other people's profiles to shove his opinion down their throats
I have gone fairly far out of my way to check this, and as far as I have seen, he only commented on his own profile and Zinith's profile (who agrees with him to an extent), and nobody is getting alerted about a semiprivate conversation happening between two people that love Yoshi unless they clicked on one of their profiles and took the time out of their day to leave a reply. People posting here about who they would cut from the original 8 would have to go pretty far out of their way to see anyone even trying to have this conversation elsewhere.

Then again, nobody knows everything, so if you can prove me wrong by showing me this is happening elsewhere, go right ahead.

Besides, neither one of them have left anything here in three days. Why are we still on this topic that derailed the thread?

Last edited:

SteadyDisciple

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rorrim
Out of the core 8... That's a hard call. I think I'd have to say either Yoshi or Fox.

Yoshi feels more like a part of the Mario Franchise to this day than his own series, and still pops up as an item in those games. We don't typically give items a character slot, do we?

Fox on the other hand has the fewest games out of the core 8 I think... Having his last truly successful get be from the N64 doesn't help him any either.

Of course, if we're going to include all original 12, I have to say Jigglypuff. She was only ever in the game for her relevance in the Pokemon anime, with no special appearances in the games themselves. Ness and Captain Falcon are at least, you know, characters.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I think we can all agree that if this thread included all 12 of the Smash 64 fighters than Jigs is the one who gets the boot.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
I have gone fairly far out of my way to check this, and as far as I have seen, he only commented on his own profile and Zinith's profile (who agrees with him to an extent), and nobody is getting alerted about a semiprivate conversation happening between two people that love Yoshi unless they clicked on one of their profiles and took the time out of their day to leave a reply. People posting here about who they would cut from the original 8 would have to go pretty far out of their way to see anyone even trying to have this conversation elsewhere.

Then again, nobody knows everything, so if you can prove me wrong by showing me this is happening elsewhere, go right ahead.

Besides, neither one of them have left anything here in three days. Why are we still on this topic that derailed the thread?
I'm still here. Though I don't have anything more to say that hasn't already been said unless a new argument crops up...

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Either Yoshi or Fox. They were popular back in the 64 days, but not as popular as everyone else. They certainly are nowadays, though.

Technourgos

Smash Cadet
I accidentally posted when I wasn't ready. Stupid phone. I'll have to give my reasons another time.

Last edited:
Top Bottom