• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

On the game's voice acting...

JimmyHedgehog

Smash Cadet
NNID
JimmyHedgehog
3DS FC
3497-0193-6314
They had the option in Melee, and it was awesome.
Melee had a voice language toggle? Huh, didn't know. Also I'm fine with Jiggly's VA, but I tend to prefer the english cast anyway. Question is, will Mewtwo use an english VA this time?

In Melee he used his japanese one but now basically the only one who does is Marth, and if they DO use an English one, will it be the Strikes Back one or Returns one (assuming/hoping it's not femtwo)? His original english VA would be neat but I wouldn't mind Dan Green since he did well enough in Returns.

Though if it goes by most recent appearance, we could end up with Origins Mewtwo that roars at everyone...which actually wouldn't be too bad.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
I don't think she ever used that voice clip in Mario Kart. Some of the clips were recycled from Mario Kart while I think others weren't in any other game. I could be wrong though. I still like the voice she uses in Mario Kart 7 and SSB4 better than the one in Mario Kart 8.
Everyone does.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
All I just want is for Mario to stop sounding like he needs a throat lozenge.
I actually don't mind the new gritty take on Mario's voice, though his actual voice would be better. It's Luigi's voice that I take issue with. I get that he's Luigi, but he sounds way too nervous and unsure here. I wish Doc got some new clips, too.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Wow, that sounds creepy taken out of context. I agree, though. I must wonder, why would they need her to scream that intensely for a Mario Kart game?
I don't think she ever used that voice clip in Mario Kart. Some of the clips were recycled from Mario Kart while I think others weren't in any other game. I could be wrong though. I still like the voice she uses in Mario Kart 7 and SSB4 better than the one in Mario Kart 8.
Like I said in this very thread (check the previous pages), Kerri Kane, the voice actress who did the voice for Rosalina in Mario Kart 7 has stated that she did a lot of recordings that went unused, but were archived for possible future use.

Think of them as "general purpose" recordings. Mario Golf: World Tour on the 3DS also used Kerri Kane's voice clips, some of them recycled from Mario Kart 7 along with previously unused ones.

Perhaps, the recordings made in Brawl were meant to be used for the Smash series as a whole, since they were recorded with Smash gameplay in mind, so the production team likely felt that reusing the clips made for Brawl was enough. That's probably why Captain Falcon, Marth, Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Zelda, Sheik and others still have their voice clips dating back all the way to Smash 64 or Melee. They still work in the Smash context, so there's no real need to change.

Yoshi, for example, still uses a lot of voice clips from Yoshi's Story in pretty much every game he is, though coupled with some new ones from time to time. The voice is done by Kazumi Totaka, who's one of the musicians working at Nintendo.

Most characters in Smash 64 and Melee also reused clips from previous games such as Mario using clips from Super Mario 64, Link, Young Link and Ganondorf from Ocarina of Time, Luigi having edited Mario voice clips (jarring, I must say).

The only reason Kirby gets new recordings is because they have to bring Makiko Ohmoto (his voice actress) back for the copy abilities and since she does recordings for new attacks, she ends up doing new recordings overall since it's all probably done in one session. Since the voice actress also voices Ness, she ends up recording for him as well.

Did you know that in the Japanese version, Falco still uses some clips from Melee? The Japanese voice actor for Falco has been the same since the original Star Fox 64. Though he does record new lines for the Star Fox codecs.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Like I said in this very thread (check the previous pages), Kerri Kane, the voice actress who did the voice for Rosalina in Mario Kart 7 has stated that she did a lot of recordings that went unused, but were archived for possible future use.

Think of them as "general purpose" recordings. Mario Golf: World Tour on the 3DS also used Kerri Kane's voice clips, some of them recycled from Mario Kart 7 along with previously unused ones.

Perhaps, the recordings made in Brawl were meant to be used for the Smash series as a whole, since they were recorded with Smash gameplay in mind, so the production team likely felt that reusing the clips made for Brawl was enough. That's probably why Captain Falcon, Marth, Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Zelda, Sheik and others still have their voice clips dating back all the way to Smash 64 or Melee. They still work in the Smash context, so there's no real need to change.

Yoshi, for example, still uses a lot of voice clips from Yoshi's Story in pretty much every game he is, though coupled with some new ones from time to time. The voice is done by Kazumi Totaka, who's one of the musicians working at Nintendo.

Most characters in Smash 64 and Melee also reused clips from previous games such as Mario using clips from Super Mario 64, Link, Young Link and Ganondorf from Ocarina of Time, Luigi having edited Mario voice clips (jarring, I must say).

The only reason Kirby gets new recordings is because they have to bring Makiko Ohmoto (his voice actress) back for the copy abilities and since she does recordings for new attacks, she ends up doing new recordings overall since it's all probably done in one session. Since the voice actress also voices Ness, she ends up recording for him as well.

Did you know that in the Japanese version, Falco still uses some clips from Melee? The Japanese voice actor for Falco has been the same since the original Star Fox 64. Though he does record new lines for the Star Fox codecs.
Sonic has also had the same seiyuu since Adventure, I believe. I wish they could've archived some of Mercedes Rose's clips, it'd be better than Faye Smith's currently cringeworthy voice.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I gotta say, I honestly find Brandy Kopp's performance as Palutena a bit lacking compared to Ali Hillis's. At first, she seemed fine when fighting in-game, but listen to her dialogue in the Palutena's Guidances compared to how Ali sounds in Uprising. She just kind of lacks a lot of the charm and energy the character had in KIU. I know Brandy probably tried her best considering she's apparently not exactly a professional voice actor and they needed a quick replacement, but listening to Pit's codecs really makes me wish they could of gotten Ali back on board.

I think it's also unfortunate that Kari Wahlgren and Fred Tatasciore didn't return to voice Phosphora and Magnus, respectively (Stephanie Komure and Patrick Seitz were brought in to fill their shoes). It seems only two VAs from the KIU cast came back for Smash, those being Antony Del Rio (Pit/Dark Pit) and Hynden Walch (Viridi)...the latter not listed in Smash 4's credits for some reason.

One last thing, I think Little Mac should of been voiced by his Punch-Out!! Wii voice actor, Matt Harty. On paper, it shouldn't matter that much considering Little Mac doesn't speak actual sentences, but even when grunting, you can easily tell he's being voiced by a Japanese dude and it's really distracting. It reminds me how with Smash 64/Melee, they didn't bother to give Fox and Falco actual english voice clips (not dissing FIYAH or anything but still). Oh well, at least Riley Inge came back to do Doc Louis one last time.

Last edited:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
I gotta say, I honestly find Brandy Kopp's performance as Palutena a bit lacking compared to Ali Hillis's. At first, she seemed fine when fighting in-game, but listen to her dialogue in the Palutena's Guidances compared to how Ali sounds in Uprising. She just kind of lacks a lot of the charm and energy the character had in KIU. I know Brandy probably tried her best considering she's not exactly a professional voice actor and they needed a quick replacement, but listening to Pit's codecs really makes me wish they could of gotten Ali back on board.

I think it's also unfortunate that Kari Wahlgren and Fred Tatasciore didn't return to voice Phosphora and Magnus, respectively (Stephanie Komure and Patrick Seitz were brought in to fill their shoes). It seems only two members of the KIU cast came back for Smash, those being Antony Del Rio (Pit/Dark Pit) and Hynden Walch (Viridi)...the latter not listed in Smash 4's credits for some reason.

One last thing, I think Little Mac should of been voiced by his Punch-Out!! Wii voice actor, Matt Harty. On paper, it shouldn't matter that much considering Little Mac doesn't speak actual sentences, but even when grunting, you can easily tell he's being voiced by a Japanese dude and it's really distracting. It reminds me how with Smash 64/Melee, they didn't bother to give Fox and Falco actual english voice clips (not dissing FIYAH or anything but still). Oh well, at least Riley Inge came back to do Doc Louis one last time.
Why do you say "one last time"? I'm sure the Punch-Out!! series isn't completely over with. And it's Riley Ing. No "e". I agree with you about Mac, Matt Harty fit Mac perfectly. This new replacement is kinda random. Then again, we know what happened last time we complained about a character not having their native voice...
Also, why is Pyrrhon not in Smash Bros.?

Last edited:

GuiltyBadguy

Smash Cadet
I believe the reason why Del Rio and Walch were not listed is probably because they are union voice actors. Since Smash 4 is (I think) non-union, they were left uncredited and the other KI characters got their voice actors replaced. Which is kind of a bummer, since Uprising had some great voice over work and I was really hoping for them to reprise their roles.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
You say that like most of them actually talk other than grunts
Well let's see, there's Shulk, Ike, Lucario , Meta Knight, Palutena, Pit, Dark Pit, and Robin. That's quite a few people. And I assume he was talking about Japanese acting in general.
who said we needed them in Japanese? I just said it's usually better.
Don't put words in my mouth, I never said that's what you said. You said Japanese acting is usually better and I told you why I disagreed.

Last edited:

Purin a.k.a. José

Smash Lord
NNID
purinsmash
3DS FC
1418-7121-0144
It would be cool if the guy who voiced Marth in the American version of the Fire Emblem OVA did the same job here. Or the STEAM guy.
How the freaking Mario characters didn't get new voice clips makes my mind blown everytime about it.
And, Falcon should get new voice clips. Oh, he should.
I wonder what voice they are going to use for Mewtwo... Mewtwo Strikes Back or Extreme Speed Genesect?

GuiltyBadguy

Smash Cadet
I wonder as well. I really want to hear what Mewtwo would sound like in these games.

Just registered my copies on Club Nintendo around an hour ago, so my body is ready for his release date! :D

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
It's rather disappointing that almost, if not, half the roster have their Brawl voice clips reused. I believe it was pure laziness at most if you ask me. As far as the others, let's see:
:4bowserjr:- Nothing new, to be honest. Sounds like they used his voice clips from the New Super Mario Bros. games, same goes for the dumbass Koopalings.
:4charizard:- Okay, I guess.
:4darkpit:- Fits his personality very well.
:4dedede:- I like his Brawl voice better though.
:4falco:- He sounds like the American version of James Bond.
:4fox:- He sounds like a complete nerd.
:4littlemac:- Just as you would expect from a pro boxer.
:4lucario:- He sounds like an elder.
:4lucina:- She sounds just as perfect and lovely as in Awakening. Laura Bailey did not disappoint.
:4ness:- He sounds way more annoying on this one.
:4palutena:- I absolutely can't stand her voice in this one. I like her Uprising voice better. Who was it...Ali Hills...or something like that?
:4pit:- I'm pretty mixed about Del Rio's performance as him. He does make Pit sound less cocky than he was in Brawl. One downside is that he's so damn whiny.
:4robinm:- "Let's tip the scales"? Really...? Well, at least it's Dave Vincent or whoever it is, one of the 3 of his potential voices from Awakening.
:4robinf:- I'm not familiar with her voice. It ain't Michelle Ruff or that other one I don't remember what her name was from Awakening. This one sounds way too irritating. At least she still has "Time to tip the scales!"
:rosalina:- Basically it's Rosalina from Mario Kart 7 and Mario Golf: World Tour along with some never before heard clips. At least Kerri Kane sounds way better than Laura Faye Smith, whom she made Rosalina turned into "Space Peach", which not only sounds really irritating but also completely unacceptable. Even though reused, at least she still has that lovely echo in her voice like in the Mario Galaxy games. Sometimes I wonder how she would turn out if Mercedes Rose was still voicing Rosalina.
:4shulk:- British accent = "I'm really feeling it!"
:4sonic:- Better than his voice from Brawl, that's for sure. I like his new lines better.
:4wiifit:- She sounds pretty realistic if you ask me.
:4wiifitm:- Same reason as the female, except he sounds like Perez Hilton on proteins.

Last edited:

C3CC

Smash Lord
"Perez Hilton on proteins" omg :'D

Am I the only one who is very disappointed at the crowd's cheers in this game? They're barely audible, and I can almost never understand what the crowd is saying. It should have been like Melee's, where the crowd's chants were very clear and loud enough.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
The crowd chanting was quite a letdown, of course. They don't sound as cheerful as the ones in previous games.

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
bottom line, Japanese is (usually) better.
I'm wouldn't go that far on that.

The problem I see in Japanese Voice Acting is that they overact nearly everything, even the simplest thing. They go way too far on the acting no other sane voice actor from any other corner of the world would go. They make some character sound majority too young(namely female characters) for the sake of cuteness and youth. Thus, an Anime character that is suppose to be average doesn't really sound normal(at least, not to me).

Anyway, I have said this before about the Voice Action in SSB4.

It's not JUST the Voice acting, but also the Voice Direction!

It's voice directing that's equally important, if not, more so.

And I say that's its even worse in this game than it was in Brawl and it really screws over the VAs, especially the American VA's. And it shows with all the characters(fighters AND assists) here.

The Mario cast sounds less enthusiastic and lively. They sound muffled and soulless, especially the Mario Bros. If you like how they sounded in their own series and spinoffs(I LOVE the taunts in Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour), you're not going to like them here. And I don't care what Ryu Myuutsu says, I HATE the roars for Bowser, DK, and Diddy!

The Zelda cast sounds weak when compared to their source games and even Hyrule Warriors.

Samus Aran's dialogue is generic and short, but you wouldn't know since you can barely hear her. Samus needs a good American voice direction, so she, I would think, can sound as good as this!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xG4ei3it8B0&noredirect=1

Kirby sounds almost exactly like he does in Triple Deluxe. The problem here is that it doesn't really work in Smash. He should be a bit more vocal . Another problem is that he really sounds incomprehensible. He was easy to understand in the original Smash and even Kirby: Right Back At Ya, but it seems like they're trying to make him sound more babyish and unpronounceable. And speaking of Kirby: Right Back At Ya, I would love for King Dedede and Meta Knight to have their roles reprised by Ted Lewis and Eric Stewart(or at least, a good expy) respectively. I was never a fan of King Dedede's... uh, "quacks?" Also, its really unfair that DDD doesn't get to speak properly, yet Meta Knight(whose voice I find generic. I rather he sounds like Antonio Banderas) does? Oh course, he's Sakurai's favorite(well,he was).

McCloud & Lombardi's voices aren't bad completely, but all in all, I don't think the voices work for these versions of the characters, whom are much older. Their Brawl voices were spot-on(I liked them)! Also, they need better lines. "No Problem!" "Don't touch the suit." "Come here!" "Firing Up!" and all that jazz.

The more I here the Pokemon's anime voices, the more annoying they sound. Majority, in Smash, at the very bit. The Gen 1 Smashers(#25 & #39) were just reused from Melee, which, compared to Pokepark Wii, is lame. Either the Pocket Monsters sound like actual animals & monsters(like in the games) or they speak properly(like in Mystery Dungeon)! Anything to make that yellow rat less bland and more of an actual character!

Whereas everyone else like Captain Falcon's Voice, I'm the exception! It wasn't bad in the N64, but as the times have passed, I have become irritated with the voice! I rather he sounds like he did in F-ZERO GX, where he had some actual sense!

Like Kirby, Ness has become more incomprehensible that before. And hes' supposed to be an "American?" Well, why not a natural English voice, like Lucas?

Robin and "Marth Jr." ...uh, I mean "Lucina" sounds OK. I'm more ticked off with how little they changed Marth & Ike. The Legendary Hero King, doesn't even get ONE different line, nor acknowledge his No. 1 Fan? What sense does that make? And of course, the Radiant Hero needs better lines than "I fight for my Friends!" All in all, Ike sounds weak.

I'll just say it. Mr. Game & Watch's bleeps and boops sounded better in Melee, especially his death screams.

Pit got a better VA, but his lines are so pathetic! They can do better than that! Why not lines like this!
"Oh, this fight is ON!"
'You are soooo not ready!"
"I'm getting bored."
Think you can keep up!"
Palutena and Pitoo fall under the same category.

Why doesn't Olimar(and Alph) say ANYTHING?! PIKMIN 3 made them so lively and actual characters! Not so in Smash. Thanks, Sakurai!

Wario not saying a damn line is not Wario AT ALL!

I'm neutral towards the Miis. If they were to be given vocal sounds, it would probably be in a similar situation like in Mario Kart and we all know how people feel about those sounds!

Last edited:

kantoskies

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kanto-skies
Melee had a voice language toggle? Huh, didn't know.
Kind of, you could toggle the language between English and Japanese for the entire game, which would change all of the menu text as well as some character voices and some announcer clips.

As much as I'm against re-using voice clips, I'm actually okay with Marth's being the same since Melee. I dunno I feel like if they used an English voice actor by now it would feel very dub-y (anyone who watches both the original version and the english dub of most animes knows what I'm talking about). Which is why, no matter what gender they go with for Mewtwo, I hope they just keep the Japanese version of the voice (Masachika Ichimura absolutely blew Phillip Bartlett's and Dan Green's performances out of the water, and Reiko Takashima's performance as the Best Wishes movie Mewtwo was way better than Miriam Pultro's).

Yitsul

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Yitsul
3DS FC
2105-8677-5210
Switch FC
5599 8083 2114
:4dk:It has been 4 GAMES and they can't get his voice right, my disappointment is beyond words. The lion roars are unfaithful to the source material. They'd better have either Takashi Nagasako or Grant Kirkhope next time!
:4fox::4falco:Brawl Voices were Better
:4samus:Shouldn't we hear her behind the suit like in Metroid Prime instead of robot noises? the first smash was the first time I've ever heard of Samus and I initially thought she was a robot.
:4bowser:I don't need to explain this one with Donkey Kong already elaborated.
:4marth:Once upon a time, ADV Films dubbed and released the Fire Emblem OVA to the USA. Yet to this day, even with the Shadow Dragon remake released worldwide, he's still speaking Japanese (outside Codename S.T.E.A.M.) P.S. Spike Spencer is Better as Marth than Yuri Lowenthal
:4olimar::4alph:They just had voices in Pikmin 3 yet, they're silent?!
:4zss:She got a new voice in Other M or should we pretend that game wasn't there in the first place?
:4littlemac:Matt Harty is better!
:rosalina:Nintendo has to pick a voice actress and stick with her already!
:4pacman:Martin T. Sherman is perfect for the role, I love how Smash is being defiant against the ghostly adventures
:4megaman:Too Quiet
:4palutena:Ali Hillis and Brandy Kopp sound the same as her. hard to choose
:4miibrawl::4miisword::4miigun:They had voices in the last 2 Mario Kart games...
:4cloud:He has an English voice actor yet the team was so lazy they didn't localize him of all DLC fighters...

Assist trophies: Patrick Seitz isn't a bad voice actor, he just doesn't fit as Magnus like Fred Tatasciore did, Magnus shouldn't sound like Franky.

My favorite Announcer has to be Dean Harrington.

Last edited:

Rexcalibr

Smash Apprentice
Everyone says Falco's Brawl voice was so great. I thought it was awful. He seemed to have some New York or Boston accent and it wasn't faithful to the N64 Star Fox. I prefer his current voice.

LinkOscuro

Smash Rookie
NNID
LinkMigue
3DS FC
2191-7674-1782
Hello everyone! I'm opening this topic to talk about something I (and I'm sure many others here too) really care about: the voice acting.

Here, we can discuss what you think about it. Questions? Suggestions? You name it. Particularly, there's something I've been really wondering these last days.

Why do some characters get new voice acting (be it from a new actor or the same of the last time) and others don't? Take the whole Mario cast for example. Mario, Luigi, Peach and Rosalina all have their voice clips reused from past games: the former three from Brawl and the latter from Mario Kart 7 (which is weird... Why from that game specifically?). Even weirder is that Bowser got a mix of reused voice clips along with new ones, but Bowser Jr did get new voice acting. Budget, maybe? Could be, but then it brings me to the following...

Why do Ness and Kirby get new voice acting from the same actors as the last time? I don't think that they REALLY needed new voice acting just to say "PK Freeze" or "Autoreticle". Charizard also got some brand new voice acting from his voice actor from Brawl.

The worst case, though, is definitely Fox (and to an extent, Falco) who had his voice actor changed only to get some horrible voice acting this time around. Why do you think these things happen?

All that being said, share your opinions about this matter. See ya!
Ness and Kirby's voice actor are the same girl.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Mewtwo's new voice is...weird. Listen to his Star KO voice clip then listen to his evil laugh. Such a huge contrast.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
Mewtwo sounds exactly like a genetically created monster should. Probably the coolest voice in the game, though he has pretty much no competition in that department.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Mewtwo sounds exactly like a genetically created monster should. Probably the coolest voice in the game, though he has pretty much no competition in that department.
Meta-Knight and Lucario. Lucario was the only one of the Brawl veterans who managed to make it out of The Great Voice Acting ****-Up of 2014 Alive.

Last edited:

Heroine of Winds

Smash Ace
I do have to agree that Fox's voice in this game is nowhere near as good as his previous voices. I thought he sounded too nasally. His Brawl voice sounded better and fitting to me, though.

I can't understand why Diddy Kong doesn't have a voice still. His horrible stock monkey sounds really annoy me. I like playing as him, but his voice still ruins the character for me.

Top Bottom