• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

On the game's voice acting...

NNID
UncleCubone
3DS FC
3539-9630-7110
All I will say about Rosalina's voice is that her star KO cry makes the Symphony of the Night death cries sound professional. It makes murdering her unsatisfying.
I don't like it all that much either, but imagine how hard it was to come up with a line for it. Rosa is definitely not the type to scream or shout loudly, but at the same time, you can't make her Star KO silent.

What else could they have done, y'know?

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
I don't like it all that much either, but imagine how hard it was to come up with a line for it. Rosa is definitely not the type to scream or shout loudly, but at the same time, you can't make her Star KO silent.

What else could they have done, y'know?
When she gets knocked off the side of stage, she yells pretty loud.

I don't like ZSS' or Wario's for the same reason. Neither of them sound like they give a ****.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
So where did all this sudden praise for Jigglypuff's voice come from? It amuses me.
All jokes aside, you have to be a pretty ****ing amazing actor to get a voice like that down to a tee.

I don't like ZSS' or Wario's for the same reason. Neither of them sound like they give a ****.
To be fair, Rosalina lives in space, so getting launched into space would just be a little "Oh no" moment for her. Can we talk about Fox's Star KO? You have to TRY to make a voice THAT bad.

NNID
UncleCubone
3DS FC
3539-9630-7110

Wario don't give a **** bout you or your ***** ass mama fam he just wants the $$$

Last edited:

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
All jokes aside, you have to be a pretty ****ing amazing actor to get a voice like that down to a tee.

To be fair, Rosalina lives in space, so getting launched into space would just be a little "Oh no" moment for her. Can we talk about Fox's Star KO? You have to TRY to make a voice THAT bad.
Point is, if you get launched by a massive explosion, a gigantic laser, or a hovercar going 900mph, that is quite different than floating through antigrav.

Fox's new voice is just awful in general. He's not terrible when he's just speaking in a regular voice, but all of his battle cries are some of the worst I've ever heard. I dunno how anyone thought they were passable.

I just don't really like the acting for this game. Too many recycled clips, and I can't say I'm a fan of the newcomers who speak. Though to be fair, a lot of their lines are pretty unreadable.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
SW-6660-1506-8804
:4lucina: - Perfect. Aside from the completely out of character **** talking.
:4robinm::4robinf: - Perfect.
:4fox::4falco: - Kill me now.
:4bowser: - Use his actual voice instead of discount Godzilla.
:4dk: - He can speak. I don't care if it's his TV show voice either. More than dumb grunts.
:4diddy: - Same as above.
:4pit: - Annoying.
:4darkpit: - Better than Pit at least.
:4palutena: - not Liara/10
:4shulk: - Perfect.
:4sonic: - Eh. Should have recorded new lines.
:rosalina: - Not exactly fond.
:4kirby: - Perfect amount of cuteness.
:4ness: - Pretty good.
:4metaknight: - Did Antonio Banderas voice him? I like. A lot.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Point is, if you get launched by a massive explosion, a gigantic laser, or a hovercar going 900mph, that is quite different than floating through antigrav.

Fox's new voice is just awful in general. He's not terrible when he's just speaking in a regular voice, but all of his battle cries are some of the worst I've ever heard. I dunno how anyone thought they were passable.

I just don't really like the acting for this game. Too many recycled clips, and I can't say I'm a fan of the newcomers who speak. Though to be fair, a lot of their lines are pretty unreadable.
Not if you're God. Apparently "Rosalina doesn't feel pain." So it makes sense.
:4lucina: - Perfect. Aside from the completely out of character **** talking.
:4robinm::4robinf: - Perfect.
:4fox::4falco: - Kill me now.
:4bowser: - Use his actual voice instead of discount Godzilla.
:4dk: - He can speak. I don't care if it's his TV show voice either. More than dumb grunts.
:4diddy: - Same as above.
:4pit: - Annoying.
:4darkpit: - Better than Pit at least.
:4palutena: - not Liara/10
:4shulk: - Perfect.
:4sonic: - Eh. Should have recorded new lines.
:rosalina: - Not exactly fond.
:4kirby: - Perfect amount of cuteness.
:4ness: - Pretty good.
:4metaknight: - Did Antonio Banderas voice him? I like. A lot.
"Discount Godzilla." I'm using that. If you like Meta Knight here, you should here him in the anime. "Kerrrrrrby."
Also, why does Fox meow when he gets hit?

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
SW-6660-1506-8804

"Discount Godzilla." I'm using that. If you like Meta Knight here, you should here him in the anime. "Kerrrrrrby."
I loved the Kirbeh anime.
Antonio Banderas is one of the first I associate with accents like that due to being PoB in Shrek.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
I loved the Kirbeh anime.
Antonio Banderas is one of the first I associate with accents like that due to being PoB in Shrek.
He does have a bit of Spanish in Smash too, now that I listen to it. But yes, Meta Knight Banderas is smooth as hell. Loud TV Car Commercial Spokesman King Dedede was hilarious as well. Did anybody actually pronounce Kirby's right? Aside from when Dedede thought he killed Kirby, it was always either "Kerrrrrby" or "DAT DERE KIRBEH".

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
SW-6660-1506-8804
He does have a bit of Spanish in Smash too, now that I listen to it. But yes, Meta Knight Banderas is smooth as hell. Loud TV Car Commercial Spokesman King Dedede was hilarious as well. Did anybody actually pronounce Kirby's right? Aside from when Dedede thought he killed Kirby, it was always either "Kerrrrrby" or "DAT DERE KIRBEH".
Let's not lose our heads though! get too off topic with the Kirby anime talk as great as it was.
That does bring me to DeDeDe's voice in Smash though. He can talk yet has grunts and other weird noises. Guess what I want his voice to be. No cookies. Carol took them all.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion

I never bought into those theories. Her backstory clearly states she lived on an inhabited planet with human parents. And in Mario 3D World, it's very possible for her to suffer death by Goomba.

Fox meows because he's trying to steal Kat away from Falco. Alternately, he was voiced by a real life cat trying to talk like a human, which would explain a lot.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
I never bought into those theories. Her backstory clearly states she lived on an inhabited planet with human parents. And in Mario 3D World, it's very possible for her to suffer death by Goomba.

Fox meows because he's trying to steal Kat away from Falco. Alternately, he was voiced by a real life cat trying to talk like a human, which would explain a lot.
Except they're not theories, they're facts. And of course Rosalina can die to Goombas, it wouldn't exactly scream "balance" if you could just say "Nope, I'm God" every time an enemy hit you. Mario can singlehandedly take down an entire brigade, yet he can die to a Goomba. Luigi's beaten what's essentially Lucifer in the Mario world, yet he can die to a Goomba. Balance.
If the latter is true, then that is the most talented cat the world has ever seen.
But that still leaves the question: Why does Pit buckaw when HE gets hit?
Let's not lose our heads though! get too off topic with the Kirby anime talk as great as it was.
That does bring me to DeDeDe's voice in Smash though. He can talk yet has grunts and other weird noises. Guess what I want his voice to be. No cookies. Carol took them all.
I wonder why Sakurai felt the need to make a new set of clips for him, other than bias. Speaking of Sakurai and bias, what is up with Dark Pit? He only sounds like himself when he's talking, otherwise he sounds way too high-pitched.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
Except they're not theories, they're facts
Nintendo has never stated said 'fact'. And like I said: human parents, inhabited planet. I don't buy it.

My theory is that Sakurai doing Dedede's voice doesn't cost anything, so he decided to do it again. Hell, seems like it'd be fun.

kantoskies

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kanto-skies
Who is the goddess who voices Jigglypuff? She must be praised.
Rachael Lillis, she did the voices of Misty, Jessie, and obviously Jigglypuff in the 4Kids dub of the anime (among others). All of the Pokemon characters have great voices in this game but Jigglypuff's is by far the best, I love her BLECH when she gets KO'ed

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Rachael Lillis, she did the voices of Misty, Jessie, and obviously Jigglypuff in the 4Kids dub of the anime (among others). All of the Pokemon characters have great voices in this game but Jigglypuff's is by far the best, I love her BLECH when she gets KO'ed
I see. I will offer up part of my dinner to Rachael Lillis. All of Jigglypuff's voice clips are perfect, and that's not just my obvious bias showing.
Who y'all think got the best voice acting? I'd say Rosalina, (sadly) Meta Knight, and Jigglypuff. You know, I really wish Doc had some different voice clips from Mario.
Nintendo has never stated said 'fact'. And like I said: human parents, inhabited planet. I don't buy it.

My theory is that Sakurai doing Dedede's voice doesn't cost anything, so he decided to do it again. Hell, seems like it'd be fun.
Rosalina's official title is Guardian of the Cosmos or something like that. If that doesn't sound like God to you, I don't know what does.
Sakurai's been voicing Dedede since Crystal Shards, so it's obvious he likes it. Still though, an entirely new set of clips seems unnecessary.

Last edited:

C3CC

Smash Lord
Wait but isn't it possible that Rachael Lillis just recorded normal lines and they were edited with special effects to sound like she does? I don't know, it's just a possibility. Kind of like Yoshi.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Wait but isn't it possible that Rachael Lillis just recorded normal lines and they were edited with special effects to sound like she does? I don't know, it's just a possibility. Kind of like Yoshi.
Shhhh... Are you questioning Lord Lillis?

Aus0115

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Aus0116
I'm fine with the voices, I'm just really glad Rosalina echoes because thats one of my favorite things about her and they killed that in Mario Kart 8.

Octagon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firefly62813
3DS FC
4768-7531-8428
Everytime i hear Fox say "Landmaster!" I die a little inside

Piedro

Smash Apprentice
Everytime i hear Fox say "Landmaster!" I die a little inside
"Landmastorrr!"
Also :4ganondorf: is voiced by an old man, and being used to his acting for 'Dorf, I kinda expect him to sound similar anywhere else. Cannot unhear it.

Smoking_Hot_BBQ

Smash Apprentice
NNID
cvl257
3DS FC
4098-4726-7823
:4myfriends:: Being that they showed his aging but his voice is the same is kind weird, but fine.
:4fox::4falco:: They sound fine talking (64 va) but their grunts are cringe-worthy.
:4ness:: Sounds better.
:4sonic:: I must be the only one who prefers RGS to the other VAs for Sonic.
:4falcon:: Never, EVER change him.
:4pit:: Sounds better as well.
:4greninja:: Honestly wasn't expecting his voice to sound like that, but it's fine.
:4megaman:: Best VA in the game Kappa.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi

Kerri Kane voiced Rosalina in MP10. Not Laura Faye Smith.

Having humans as parents means nothing. So many gods in so many kinds of literature have human parents.

Plus, Rosalina's mother isn't exactly portrayed as normal. She was seemingly able to appear to Rosalina at will, in her dreams. Normal people don't do that.

The semantics of whether or not she is to be referred to as a goddess is irrelevant though - people refer to her as such because her powers and role within the universe seems unrivaled even by other god characters, and is very much on point to what a goddess should be. She certainly seems far more like a goddess than Palutena ever has.

-----

Also Rosalina doesn't scream loud on her Star KO. Her voice clips are supposed to sound relatively monotone all of the time, and Sakurai made a Miiverse post explaining that she doesn't feel pain (her facial expressions also portray this - her tumble and stun states portrays her straight up smiling).

Last edited:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492

Kerri Kane voiced Rosalina in MP10. Not Laura Faye Smith.

Having humans as parents means nothing. So many gods in so many kinds of literature have human parents.

Plus, Rosalina's mother isn't exactly portrayed as normal. She was seemingly able to appear to Rosalina at will, in her dreams. Normal people don't do that.

The semantics of whether or not she is to be referred to as a goddess is irrelevant though - people refer to her as such because her powers and role within the universe seems unrivaled even by other god characters, and is very much on point to what a goddess should be. She certainly seems far more like a goddess than Palutena ever has.
And much less trolly. Although, the Super Palutena Glam Blaster is pretty badass.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Still don't buy into it. She flat out says she can't stop Bowser in Galaxy 1.
Actually, she doesn't. She merely says that Bowser took the Power Stars (and he didn't do so by brute force, he absorbed them from a safe distance - keep that in mind), and that she wants Mario to get them back. This is a case of completely separating gameplay and plot for the sake of having Mario be the main hero. Rosalina is shown, within Galaxy, to be capable of flight AND teleportation. Galaxy is a platforming game. She's basically got Action Replay codes switched on, collecting all of the Power Stars could have been done in no time if she did it - but wait, we wouldn't have a game then. This is no different than the classic "why can't Mega Man teleport TO the Robot Master's boss room?" conundrum - they wanted cool, powerful characters, but they also wanted a platforming game. So they decided to make arbitrary restrictions that aren't even explained in the plot, meaning you have to come up with a headcanon yourself. I headcanon that Rosalina simply doesn't want to leave the Lumas on their own, in this case. She needs to take care of the Lumas, while Mario does the work she would otherwise do if the Lumas were not a factor.

Also even with her stripped down (for the sake of gameplay) moveset in 3D World, she can beat Bowser just fine, even though he's using power ups, INCLUDING making copies of himself.

Last edited:

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
Still don't buy it. Rosalina is a mysterious character to be sure, but I do not subscribe to any of the theories surrounding her, mainly because she had parents, and lived a probably normal life prior to the thing with the Luma. Maybe I would believe it if not for the established backstory, but whatever. Besides, we all know Wario is the true deity of the Marioverse. That's the last I'm saying on the subject, as we've gotten way off topic.

Back to the voice acting, I can't help but notice a large amount of voiceless newcomers.
:4duckhunt::4megaman::4mii::4pacman::4villager:
They could have easily had voices for Duck Hunt, Mega Man, and Mii at least.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
These aren't theories. Again, the semantics are irrelevant. Rosalina is just this really powerful, God-like figure, and it's blatantly laid out in the game, right down to her "Mother of the Cosmos" alias.

I mean, her Birdie celebration in Mario Golf is teleporting into space to summon shooting stars.

Also, her life wasn't normal before she left with Luma. Her family was already dead some time before she left, but she deluded herself into thinking they were somewhere in space. For all we know, Rosalina lived for centuries already. It's not unlikely, as she currently is of an age beyond quantifying.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Still don't buy it. Rosalina is a mysterious character to be sure, but I do not subscribe to any of the theories surrounding her, mainly because she had parents, and lived a probably normal life prior to the thing with the Luma. Maybe I would believe it if not for the established backstory, but whatever. Besides, we all know Wario is the true deity of the Marioverse. That's the last I'm saying on the subject, as we've gotten way off topic.

Back to the voice acting, I can't help but notice a large amount of voiceless newcomers.
So you're saying this normal, everyday girl became the guardian of everything and is responsible for the natural cycle of life and has probably lives for centuries?
I don't know about giving Mega Man a voice. Remember what happened last time they tried that? Remember Dr. Light? "If we find dat meteah, we'll find Doctah Wahwee!" "You must wecover all de energy, W-Megaman!"

Last edited:

kantoskies

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kanto-skies
Oh my god imagine if the Miis had their Mario Kart Wii voices...this game would be like 100x better

C3CC

Smash Lord
Rosalina's voice is quite the controversial topic, isn't it? It's safe to say that her voice has been discussed the most in this thread, haha.

It's funny how many people hate that Palutena shouts her attacks' names every time she uses them. Personally, I love that. Especially the way she says "Autoreticle". For some reason people don't dislike this when Ness does it? I wonder why. Ness's voice is far too annoying. Captain Falcon also "suffers" from this, but I understand his is a special case, due to their memetic nature.

Oh and Palutena's Guidance conversations are awesome! That's some excellent voice over work from Brandy Kopp and Antony del Rio! (And whoever voiced Viridi). Everything sounds so... clean.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Rosalina's voice is quite the controversial topic, isn't it? It's safe to say that her voice has been discussed the most in this thread, haha.

It's funny how many people hate that Palutena shouts her attacks' names every time she uses them. Personally, I love that. Especially the way she says "Autoreticle". For some reason people don't dislike this when Ness does it? I wonder why. Ness's voice is far too annoying. Captain Falcon also "suffers" from this, but I understand his is a special case, due to their memetic nature.

Oh and Palutena's Guidance conversations are awesome! That's some excellent voice over work from Brandy Kopp and Antony del Rio! (And whoever voiced Viridi). Everything sounds so... clean.
Rosalina's voice isn't so much controversial. It's good, that's undebatable, but that's the problem. Mercedes Rose was great, Kerri Kane is good. I realize Nintendo isn't know for they're amazing voice work, but they're starting to become SEGA with replacing great actors. But we all know Jigglypuff has the best voice, that goes without saying.
Fun fact: Do you know Medusa and Yzma share the voice actor? I'm assuming you have a childhood and you know who Yzma is. Hyden Walch for Viridi, by the way.

C3CC

Smash Lord
Rosalina's voice isn't so much controversial. It's good, that's undebatable, but that's the problem. Mercedes Rose was great, Kerri Kane is good. I realize Nintendo isn't know for they're amazing voice work, but they're starting to become SEGA with replacing great actors. But we all know Jigglypuff has the best voice, that goes without saying.
Fun fact: Do you know Medusa and Yzma share the voice actor? I'm assuming you have a childhood and you know who Yzma is. Hyden Walch for Viridi, by the way.
OMG ARE YOU SERIOUS?! YZMA >>>>>>>>>>

Yzma's voice in Latin American Spanish is HILARIOUS. The dubbing was just so excellently made. I swear she's the funniest character in that movie.

Mercedes Rose needs to return. I don't know, but soooomething tells me that she wasn't hired again due to money issues. Maybe she was charging too much? I've read her Twitter and sometimes she sounds like she's too full of herself, but maybe that's just me. I couldn't really elaborate on this, it's just an impression I got. Her daughter is on the way of becoming a Hollywood star if her show on Youtube maintains the streak of success it's been having so far, so maybe that's why.

Abyssal Lagiacrus

Fly across the high seas and mountains
NNID
LugiaTheGuardian
3DS FC
2981-6257-4399
I'm pretty upset that :4bowser: and :4dk: got their voices reduced to mindless blather for Smash 4. Their sounds are just such garbled gobbledegook, makes me wish they tried to make them sound more true to their characters.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi

Yzma's voice in Latin American Spanish is HILARIOUS. The dubbing was just so excellently made. I swear she's the funniest character in that movie.

Mercedes Rose needs to return. I don't know, but soooomething tells me that she wasn't hired again due to money issues. Maybe she was charging too much? I've read her Twitter and sometimes she sounds like she's too full of herself, but maybe that's just me. I couldn't really elaborate on this, it's just an impression I got. Her daughter is on the way of becoming a Hollywood star if her show on Youtube maintains the streak of success it's been having so far, so maybe that's why.
It wasn't Mercedes' decision either way, but I have heard rumours that she has had mental instabilities of some kind, which would explain why she was let go. I forget the details though, so I will say no more.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492

Pull the lever, C3CC!
Yes, Mercedes Rose needs desperately to come back.

Top Bottom