• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

On the game's voice acting...

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
SW-6660-1506-8804
I'm really not a fan of the Palutena's guidances. There's a few decent ones like Shulk's and Mega Man's but the rest are average to terrible. That and the humour/information was rubbish in comparison to Snake's codecs.
Might just be because I mained Snake in Brawl and loved doing codecs whenever I could as well as being a huge Metal Gear fan and understanding the references being made.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
On the topic of Rosalina, can I just say that we don't even know if Rosalina was a normal girl. She could've been born into a family with powers like the ones she displays. We know nothing about her family. Plus it's claimed she visits her homeworld every hundred years yet she appears incredibly young meaning she's either immortal or just lives extremely long.

My point is, ***** aint normal

C3CC

Smash Lord
It wasn't Mercedes' decision either way, but I have heard rumours that she has had mental instabilities of some kind, which would explain why she was let go. I forget the details though, so I will say no more.
Mental instabilities? Wow. I did read somewhere on the internet that she really manipulates her daughter, but then again, what mother wouldn't when facing the huge, horrible monster that is Hollywood?

Pull the lever, C3CC!
Yes, Mercedes Rose needs desperately to come back.
"The other lever!!!!" LOL :'D You know, I researched last night after you told me that and apparently Yzma was voiced by Eartha Kitt (RIP) and Medusa was voiced by Cree Summer... Maybe I researched wrong?

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Mental instabilities? Wow. I did read somewhere on the internet that she really manipulates her daughter, but then again, what mother wouldn't when facing the huge, horrible monster that is Hollywood?

"The other lever!!!!" LOL :'D You know, I researched last night after you told me that and apparently Yzma was voiced by Eartha Kitt (RIP) and Medusa was voiced by Cree Summer... Maybe I researched wrong?
****. Pandora, I mean. They sound so similar that I keep getting the two confused.

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
I refuse to play as either :4fox: or :4sonic: almost exclusively on the grounds that their voice acting isn't nearly as good.

Seriously, why couldn't they get Roger Craig Smith to say "YOU'RE TOO SLOW!" for this? That would've been great, damnit!

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
I know I'm in the minority, but I really like Fox's voice acting on this a lot. It sounds quite earnest and more like the commander of a team to me.

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
I'm really failing to see what you are
I don't know. I just think it suits that model of Fox a lot better. Kind of more youngish and idealistic. I really don't know how to put my finger on it. It's hard to say what specifically about a voice actor seems good or bad. To me, it just look like that version of Fox would sound like that, while the previous voice seemed to fit the Melee style a bit more.

I honestly don't know what to say beyond that.

I'm sure we both agree that the new FALCO sucks, though.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
I don't know. I just think it suits that model of Fox a lot better. Kind of more youngish and idealistic. I really don't know how to put my finger on it. It's hard to say what specifically about a voice actor seems good or bad. To me, it just look like that version of Fox would sound like that, while the previous voice seemed to fit the Melee style a bit more.

Yes, yes, yes, yes

I'm genuinely confused as to what happened

Last edited:

Goolloom

Smash Apprentice
I think most of the character's voices are fine, but I would've prefered it if they used didn't make :4dk: and:4bowser:'s voices ''more realistic'' and kept the voices from their other games.
For :rosalina:'s voice, I don't really mind that her voice clips were taken from Mario Kart 7, as I think that Kerri Kane's voice was more similar to Mercedes Rose's voice from Galaxy 1 and 2 and Mario Kart Wii (I barely noticed the difference when I switched from Mario Kart Wii to Mario Kart 7). I don't really like Faye Smith's one because she made Rosalina sound too much like Peach to me.

Karinole

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Karinole
I kinda wish ike had gotten some new lines and fox/falco didn't deserve that kind of nerf. Otherwise, I'm a fan of most of the cast, especially the kid Icarus cast.

A10theHero

SSJ Fraud
NNID
A10theHero
I wonder what they were thinking when they chose Fox's original voice actor from Star Fox 64 as his voice actor for Smash 4. Maybe they thought that everyone would be pleased because of the nostalgia.

Last edited:

C3CC

Smash Lord
I wonder what they were thinking when they chose Fox's original voice actor from Star Fox 64 as his voice actor for Smash 4. Maybe they thought that everyone would be pleased because of the nostalgia.
Did the Star Fox 64 actor also voice him in Smash Bros 64?

Last edited:

LiamMail

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Liam5d26
Lucario sounds too animalistic
Fox is the worst.... faaiiiiyurr

JimmyHedgehog

Smash Cadet
NNID
JimmyHedgehog
3DS FC
3497-0193-6314
The worst case, though, is definitely Fox (and to an extent, Falco) who had his voice actor changed only to get some horrible voice acting this time around. Why do you think these things happen?
Sorry if this was covered but funnily enough, those are actually their voice actors from StarFox 64 3D, which also means Fox's is his original english voice from the N64 version. They've just never been in a Smash game before (Melee and 64 used their japenese voice actors if I remember right?). I think they used these voices because 64 3D was the most recent StarFox release, perhaps those actors still have contracts with Nintendo.

Last edited:

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I actually like Fox's new voice. (Or, rather, old voice, since it's from SF64.) Am I weird for that?

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I actually like Fox's new voice. (Or, rather, old voice, since it's from SF64.) Am I weird for that?
Well, people have different tastes. Nothing wrong with that.

I liked Fox's Brawl voice better, but I can't deny I've gotten used to the new voice to the point of not minding it much anymore.

Same for Falco, except I actually ended up liking his Smash 4 voice a little better than Brawl. Both aren't really impressive, though.

Rexcalibr

Smash Apprentice
Hmm… I didn't play Brawl or Mario Kart 7 so I have no problem with most of the voice acting. I love Rosalina's voice and I think her death cries sound great. I actually like her voice in this game much more than Mario Kart 8.The only voice I don't really like is Pit and Dark Pits.

JimmyHedgehog

Smash Cadet
NNID
JimmyHedgehog
3DS FC
3497-0193-6314
I love Rosalina's voice and I think her death cries sound great. I actually like her voice in this game much more than Mario Kart 8.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Rosalina's voice actor in Mario Kart 8 is her actual current voice actor, whereas Smash reused Rosalina voice clips from her previous voice actor (from MK7 and a few other things, not her original VA from the Galaxy games). Still funny to think how she's already had three different voice actors now.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Rosalina's voice actor in Mario Kart 8 is her actual current voice actor, whereas Smash reused Rosalina voice clips from her previous voice actor (from MK7 and a few other things, not her original VA from the Galaxy games). Still funny to think how she's already had three different voice actors now.
That's correct.

LordCQ

Smash Journeyman

Steve Malpass should've returned. He did an amazing job on Star Fox Adventures. Actually he sounds better than in Melee and he voiced both.

nOPE™

Smash Rookie
Everyone mentioned Fox but I will add; I just want his Melee voice back so it sounds like he is saying “we serve coffee” on the victory screen.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Everyone mentioned Fox but I will add; I just want his Melee voice back so it sounds like he is saying “we serve coffee” on the victory screen.
OH GOD IT DOES SOUND LIKE THAT

RUINED FOREVER

KyroChao

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kyro_Keatonlabs
I dont know if this has been stated but sonics lines are just reused lines from game sonic colors and generations(sonic speed might be new but if it is i'm not sure why they didnt just record new lines as a whole.)

Last edited:

kantoskies

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kanto-skies
Fox's Melee voice was by far the best, if they were going for nostalgia they should have just used that...

kirbzpuff

Smash Cadet
NNID
pikaxluigi24
:4mario::4luigi: and :4peach: should have got new voices, I am fine with :4pikachu: and :4jigglypuff: cause it's pokemon, and i like the new :4kirby: voice. Tbh :4fox: and :4falco: didn't bother me

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Fox's Melee voice was by far the best, if they were going for nostalgia they should have just used that...
Fox's Melee voice was nothing but Engrish. He sounds good in battle, but then there's still the matter of things like , "MISSHUN COMPRETE!". But Jim Walker sounds good and believable in and out of battle.

kantoskies

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kanto-skies
Fox's Melee voice was nothing but Engrish. He sounds good in battle, but then there's still the matter of things like , "MISSHUN COMPRETE!". But Jim Walker sounds good and believable in and out of battle.
True, but I feel like sounding good in battle is the most important thing (which is why the Smash 4 chants are absolutely horrendous) and I liked how he sounded in battle best (though I suppose that's a personal preference)

SleuthMechanism

Smash Ace
NNID
SleuthMechanism
3DS FC
4184-2631-5815
Switch FC
SW-7949-7248-8280
I think there should've been an option to toggle between english and japanese voices because why not?

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
I think there should've been an option to toggle between english and japanese voices because why not?
A THOUSAND TIMES THIS.

They had the option in Melee, and it was awesome. I don't care much about Fox or Falco, but Purin's VA sounds a TRILLION times better than Jigglypuff's.

Rexcalibr

Smash Apprentice
I don't think she ever used that voice clip in Mario Kart. Some of the clips were recycled from Mario Kart while I think others weren't in any other game. I could be wrong though. I still like the voice she uses in Mario Kart 7 and SSB4 better than the one in Mario Kart 8.

Top Bottom