• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

On the game's voice acting...

C3CC

Smash Lord
Hello everyone! I'm opening this topic to talk about something I (and I'm sure many others here too) really care about: the voice acting.

Here, we can discuss what you think about it. Questions? Suggestions? You name it. Particularly, there's something I've been really wondering these last days.

Why do some characters get new voice acting (be it from a new actor or the same of the last time) and others don't? Take the whole Mario cast for example. Mario, Luigi, Peach and Rosalina all have their voice clips reused from past games: the former three from Brawl and the latter from Mario Kart 7 (which is weird... Why from that game specifically?). Even weirder is that Bowser got a mix of reused voice clips along with new ones, but Bowser Jr did get new voice acting. Budget, maybe? Could be, but then it brings me to the following...

Why do Ness and Kirby get new voice acting from the same actors as the last time? I don't think that they REALLY needed new voice acting just to say "PK Freeze" or "Autoreticle". Charizard also got some brand new voice acting from his voice actor from Brawl.

The worst case, though, is definitely Fox (and to an extent, Falco) who had his voice actor changed only to get some horrible voice acting this time around. Why do you think these things happen?

All that being said, share your opinions about this matter. See ya!

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
R.O.B., G&W, Olimar, Duck Hunt, Mega Man, and Pac-Man definitely have the best voice acting jobs.
Oh, come on, you know it's true.
(in all seriousness, dedede's voice is best)
I'd argue that Sonic has it worse than Fox is the voice department, or is at least tied for worst. Granted, they at least fixed "YOU'RE TOO SLOW," but the new voice clips they recorded with Roger just make it worse overall.

Last edited:

Animekey

Smash Cadet
NNID
Animekey
3DS FC
2277-7760-6665
I don't favor Sonic's voice acting in Smash 4, even if it's a different VA I suppose. Brawl's Sonic sound better to me easily, as he also was the VA for Modern Sonic during that time.

To me, every Smash with Kirby having new Voice Acting sounds way different far and wide. When I got my hand onto Smash 4, it was really bizarre to hear a slightly higher pitched Kirby. After awhile I got used to it, and liked it like any other Kirby Poyo sounds.

Also a bit strange that the Mario cast got no new voice acting, just higher quality of the audio. It's very peculiar that this Smash 4 would have a budget for Voice Acting considering there are only about 20-30 voice clips for each character that can make a noise, (excluding Kirby of course). Maybe they thought Mario and the crew didn't need to sound different, jumping sounds and all.

Fire Emblem, Ike and Marth sound about the same to me. Having the same lines from Brawl. I'm not so sure for Marth, but for Ike it's pretty obvious.

It'd be quite funny to hear soundclips from Melee for Mewtwo's voice. Also, did Lucario change? I don't play with him at all, and uncommonly fight against him. From my memory, he sounds way more gruff and tough than in Brawl.
Fox has a great new VA Don't forget Falco.

C3CC

Smash Lord
I don't favor Sonic's voice acting in Smash 4, even if it's a different VA I suppose. Brawl's Sonic sound better to me easily, as he also was the VA for Modern Sonic during that time.

To me, every Smash with Kirby having new Voice Acting sounds way different far and wide. When I got my hand onto Smash 4, it was really bizarre to hear a slightly higher pitched Kirby. After awhile I got used to it, and liked it like any other Kirby Poyo sounds.

Also a bit strange that the Mario cast got no new voice acting, just higher quality of the audio. It's very peculiar that this Smash 4 would have a budget for Voice Acting considering there are only about 20-30 voice clips for each character that can make a noise, (excluding Kirby of course). Maybe they thought Mario and the crew didn't need to sound different, jumping sounds and all.

Fire Emblem, Ike and Marth sound about the same to me. Having the same lines from Brawl. I'm not so sure for Marth, but for Ike it's pretty obvious.

It'd be quite funny to hear soundclips from Melee for Mewtwo's voice. Also, did Lucario change? I don't play with him at all, and uncommonly fight against him. From my memory, he sounds way more gruff and tough than in Brawl.
Fox has a great new VA Don't forget Falco.
Ah, yes, Lucario also has new voice acting, but it's a brand new actor. I wonder why they change the voice actors for some characters and not for some others...

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Probably to save on budget. I mean a lot of those characters have voice clips from Brawl, because they were already produced for the Smash series, so reusing them in the same context ends up being cheaper than having to re-hire the same voice actors.

The only voice acting that was done for this game was for the following characters, the rest using voice clips from previous games:
:4charizard: - New voice clips from the same VA as Brawl, Shin'ichiro Miki. This time, they sound more like the anime.
:4falco::4fox: - Have their voice actors from Star Fox 64 3D, Mark Lund and Mike West, respectively. In the Japanese version, they reuse clips from Brawl, as their Japanese voice actors didn't change. Anyway, they did have to record lines for the Orbital Gate Assault stage.
:4darkpit::4lucina::4palutena::4robinm::4robinf::4shulk: - All of them are newcomers and have a lot of spoken lines, so they had to record new voice clips for them. They all have the same voice actors as their original games, except for Palutena and female Robin in the English version.
:4greninja: - Has the same voice actors, both Japanese (Yuji Ueda) and English (Billy Bob Thompson), as Froakie in the anime. He's also a newcomer, so new voice clips were required.
:4littlemac: - He's a newcomer and had to get new voice clips.
:4pit: - Has his voice actor from KIU (Antony Del Rio) and, similar to Fox and Falco, they had to record new lines for the Palutena's Temple stage. His Japanese voice actress is the same as Brawl and KIU, who had to record new lines as well.
:4wiifit::4wiifitm: - Have the same voice actors as the Wii Fit games and some voice samples are recycled from those.
:4lucario: - Has a different voice actor from Brawl. He's now voiced by Sean Schemmel, who did the voice in the movie that primarily featured him and where his portrayal in Smash is inspired by. They had to record a new line for his Final Smash. In the Japanese version, he keeps the same voice actor as both movie and Brawl. (By this point, I think you realize the Japanese are more consistent with the voice actors...)
:4dedede: - Has a new set of grunts provided by Masahiro Sakurai himself, who also provided his voice in Brawl.
:4kirby::4ness: - New voice clips from the same actress they always had voiced them since the first game, Makiko Ohmoto. She had to record new Copy Abilities, as well as PK Freeze. She also does Viridi's voice in the Japanese version.

Some Assist Trophies, Poké Balls and other non-playable characters also had new voice acting done for them. Likewise, there are others that reuse previously done voice clips.

Hope I've made a few things clear.

Last edited:

jaketheknight

Smash Apprentice
NNID
jaketheknight
3DS FC
4854-6438-8016
The fact that Ike's voice didn't deepen despite his aging from the PoD to RD designs disturbs me. Give Ike new lines! Also Falcon needs new lines from his current VA, even though we have no source material to go off.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
The fact that Ike's voice didn't deepen despite his aging from the PoD to RD designs disturbs me. Give Ike new lines! Also Falcon needs new lines from his current VA, even though we have no source material to go off.
Well, he had the same VA in both PoR and RD (Jason Adkins), so they decided to keep it the same.

:231:

C3CC

Smash Lord
Probably to save on budget. I mean a lot of those characters have voice clips from Brawl, because they were already produced for the Smash series, so reusing them in the same context ends up being cheaper than having to re-hire the same voice actors.

The only voice acting that was done for this game was for the following characters, the rest using voice clips from previous games:
:4charizard: - New voice clips from the same VA as Brawl, Shin'ichiro Miki. This time, they sound more like the anime.
:4falco::4fox: - Have their voice actors from Star Fox 64 3D, Mark Lund and Mike West, respectively. In the Japanese version, they reuse clips from Brawl, as their Japanese voice actors didn't change. Anyway, they did have to record lines for the Orbital Gate Assault stage.
:4darkpit::4lucina::4palutena::4robinm::4robinf::4shulk: - All of them are newcomers and have a lot of spoken lines, so they had to record new voice clips for them. They all have the same voice actors as their original games, except for Palutena and female Robin in the English version.
:4greninja: - Has the same voice actors, both Japanese (Yuji Ueda) and English (Billy Bob Thompson), as Froakie in the anime. He's also a newcomer, so new voice clips were required.
:4littlemac: - He's a newcomer and had to get new voice clips.
:4pit: - Has his voice actor from KIU (Antony Del Rio) and, similar to Fox and Falco, they had to record new lines for the Palutena's Temple stage. His Japanese voice actress is the same as Brawl and KIU, who had to record new lines as well.
:4wiifit::4wiifitm: - Have the same voice actors as the Wii Fit games and some voice samples are recycled from those.
:4lucario: - Has a different voice actor from Brawl. He's now voiced by Sean Schemmel, who did the voice in the movie that primarily featured him and where his portrayal in Smash is inspired by. They had to record a new line for his Final Smash. In the Japanese version, he keeps the same voice actor as both movie and Brawl. (By this point, I think you realize the Japanese are more consistent with the voice actors...)
:4dedede: - Has a new set of grunts provided by Masahiro Sakurai himself, who also provided his voice in Brawl.
:4kirby::4ness: - New voice clips from the same actress they always had voiced them since the first game, Makiko Ohmoto. She had to record new Copy Abilities, as well as PK Freeze. She also does Viridi's voice in the Japanese version.

Some Assist Trophies, Poké Balls and other non-playable characters also had new voice acting done for them. Likewise, there are others that reuse previously done voice clips.

Hope I've made a few things clear.
Well, Rosalina is also a newcomer and she didn't get new voice acting. Instead, she had her Mario Kart 7 voice clips reused.

It's weird because I liked Anthony Del Rio's performance for Pit in Uprising, but I hate his work on Smash 4. Pit sounds too... forced? He did a great job on Dark Pit, though. By the way, was Del Rio who voiced Pit in Brawl?

Also, am I the only one who has a hard time hearing King Dedede's voice this time? His voice clips from Brawl were louder, I think.

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Well, Rosalina is also a newcomer and she didn't get new voice acting. Instead, she had her Mario Kart 7 voice clips reused.

It's weird because I liked Anthony Del Rio's performance for Pit in Uprising, but I hate his work on Smash 4. Pit sounds too... forced? He did a great job on Dark Pit, though. By the way, was Del Rio who voiced Pit in Brawl?

Also, am I the only one who has a hard time hearing King Dedede's voice this time? His voice clips from Brawl were louder, I think.
It's odd that Rosalina has no new lines (same for Bowser Jr. and the Koopalings), but I recall an interview with her voice actress that she did a lot of recordings that went unused, but were archived for future use.

As for Pit, he was voiced by Lani Minella in Brawl. Antony Del Rio only voices him in Uprising and Smash 4. In Japanese, he's voiced by Minami Takayama in all his three voiced appearances.

Last edited:

16bit

Smash Apprentice
NNID
imsl1msh4dy
3DS FC
3136-7059-5966
Luigi has the best voice. "BANG BANG!"
But seriously, Female Robin got the best new voice over.

C3CC

Smash Lord
Hm, strange. Female Robin's voice is one of the voice overs I dislike the most in the game, along with Lucina's and Fox's.

absolatias

Smash Rookie
my favorite do over voice wise in this game was definitely male robin. He did really well with him. And as much as I love sonic as a fighter, I did love his brawl voice much better.

Phenomiracle

Smash Ace
I'm more disappointed with Smash 4's voice acting than I should be. Really, the resuage of Brawl voice clips for certain characters doesn't help to differentiate it. New voice clips would certainly given Smash 4 more of its unique flair.

One of Smash 4's bad audio choices is its implementation of knockback yells. In Melee, most characters had two knockback yells: one for medium/high knockback, and one for very high knockback. Smash 4 sought to bring this scheme back, but ended up drastically reducing the knockback threshold for the first knockback yell. The end result, I'm sure quite a few people here have noticed, are matches where we're reduced to listening to a character's medium knockback yell after like, every freaking attack. :4ness: suffers from this the absolute worst, as his knockback yell is a not-so-succint scream with multiple pitches. I could get Ness into a nice medium-damage string and he'll be continuously screaming through all of it.

Certain characters, by the way, have timeless voice clips. :4falcon:,:4marth:,:4ness:,:4pikachu:, and :4kirby: simply shouldn't be touched, their voice clips have aged quite well.

:4mario:,:4luigi:, :4peach:, and :4yoshi: should all have had new voices. :4mario:, arguably the leading face of Smash, has had plenty of games since Brawl in which the legendary Charles Martinet continued to deliver.

I would have definitely liked to hear some fresh audio for :4link:. Akira Sasanuma is fantastic, but I'm annoyed with how quite a few of his yells sound painfully similar. His Dsmash yell, Up-special yell, both Fsmash (second hit) yells, and even one of his death screams, they all sound the same! Really no reason for this. Sasanuma had a variety of voice clips for Twilight Princess to pick from. Nintendo fell short in Brawl, and they fell short again.

:4fox: and :4falco:...lol. I adored Falco's Brooklyn accent, and was sad to hear it go. Nintendo really needs to work on good lines, Falco's "Get some" is just cringeworthy.

I'm thrilled with Del Rio's performance as :4pit: and :4darkpit:, he nails them perfectly. Why Nintendo didn't bring back Ali Hillis for :4palutena: from KI: U is a real head-scratcher, but I'm fine with Brandy Kopp, given how eerily similar her voice is to Hillis's.

:4wiifitm: sounds like a total drama queen, his screams are pretty exaggerated.

Oh, and personal bias makes me wish Nintendo brought back the lovely Jun Mizusawa to rerecord a few voices for :4zelda: to keep her fresh, but I'm relatively content, given how her Brawl clips were pretty stellar.

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
I dunno, my favorite line that Robin uses is the male's victory line "I'm always three steps ahead."

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I doubt it was budget restrictions, word was that this game had a far bigger budget than Brawl which features entirely new voice-acting across the board, in fact Brawl probably spend far more money on assets than Smash 4 did as pretty much everything was revamped from Melee and on top of that introduced so many new things. It probably boiled down to the deadline and workload.

How they decided which ones got new voices, who knows, it's obvious why characters like Sonic, Pit and Lucario got new voice actors, and Ness probably only got a new voice actor for his custom moves while Kirby had to have a voice-over for the new copy abilities, but I'm not entirely sure why Fox and Falco got new ones when other talkative characters like ZSS and Ike didn't. It all feels like a bit of an inconsistent mess, and the quality of the voice acting can also be questioned in a lot of cases, overall I'm not so impressed by how they handled it.

Last edited:

MapleWooD

Smash Journeyman
The only voice I don't like is :4fox:. Other characters' voices like :4sonic:and :4ness:aren't bad, just very annoying to hear over and over again.

C3CC

Smash Lord
I'm more disappointed with Smash 4's voice acting than I should be. Really, the resuage of Brawl voice clips for certain characters doesn't help to differentiate it. New voice clips would certainly given Smash 4 more of its unique flair.

One of Smash 4's bad audio choices is its implementation of knockback yells. In Melee, most characters had two knockback yells: one for medium/high knockback, and one for very high knockback. Smash 4 sought to bring this scheme back, but ended up drastically reducing the knockback threshold for the first knockback yell. The end result, I'm sure quite a few people here have noticed, are matches where we're reduced to listening to a character's medium knockback yell after like, every freaking attack. :4ness: suffers from this the absolute worst, as his knockback yell is a not-so-succint scream with multiple pitches. I could get Ness into a nice medium-damage string and he'll be continuously screaming through all of it.

Certain characters, by the way, have timeless voice clips. :4falcon:,:4marth:,:4ness:,:4pikachu:, and :4kirby: simply shouldn't be touched, their voice clips have aged quite well.

:4mario:,:4luigi:, :4peach:, and :4yoshi: should all have had new voices. :4mario:, arguably the leading face of Smash, has had plenty of games since Brawl in which the legendary Charles Martinet continued to deliver.

I would have definitely liked to hear some fresh audio for :4link:. Akira Sasanuma is fantastic, but I'm annoyed with how quite a few of his yells sound painfully similar. His Dsmash yell, Up-special yell, both Fsmash (second hit) yells, and even one of his death screams, they all sound the same! Really no reason for this. Sasanuma had a variety of voice clips for Twilight Princess to pick from. Nintendo fell short in Brawl, and they fell short again.

:4fox: and :4falco:...lol. I adored Falco's Brooklyn accent, and was sad to hear it go. Nintendo really needs to work on good lines, Falco's "Get some" is just cringeworthy.

I'm thrilled with Del Rio's performance as :4pit: and :4darkpit:, he nails them perfectly. Why Nintendo didn't bring back Ali Hillis for :4palutena: from KI: U is a real head-scratcher, but I'm fine with Brandy Kopp, given how eerily similar her voice is to Hillis's.

:4wiifitm: sounds like a total drama queen, his screams are pretty exaggerated.

Oh, and personal bias makes me wish Nintendo brought back the lovely Jun Mizusawa to rerecord a few voices for :4zelda: to keep her fresh, but I'm relatively content, given how her Brawl clips were pretty stellar.
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's like you stole my words! I was just about to post the exact same things! I especially agree with the "New voice clips would certainly given Smash 4 more of its unique flair" part, because it's very, very true.

I completely agree with the :4ness: part: his knockback scream is borderline unbearable because it's so repetitive and high-pitched.:4wiifitm: DOES suck like an exaggerated drama queen, hahahaha. You barely touch him and he goes AAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! ... Like, dude, calm down. Peach only slapped you twice. That's all.

I think :4falco: isn't that bad, but :4fox: is just horrible now.

I agree on the whole Mario cast thing. Especially Mario, whose voice sounds raspier and more serious than it should. I particularly hate the Mario cast's portrayal in the Smash series starting from Brawl. It's just so un-them. :4mario: is so lifeless and angry. :4luigi: is also super weird and not like his actual self at all. :4peach: isn't thaaaat clumsy or sassy in Mario games either. Personally I'm mad that :rosalina: didn't get new voice acting because she's one of my favorite characters from the Mario universe. Why they didn't use her current voice actress (Laura Faye Smith) to record new lines and instead reused voice clips from a previous voice actress is beyond me. Also I don't get why :4yoshi: no longer vocalizes when he uses his Down B move, and only vocalizes sometimes when he double jumps.

I already said it, but I'll say it again: I didn't like Del Rio's performance of :4pit:, but I think he nailed :4darkpit:. Weird, I know. I think that Pit sounds too "angry" and it kind of feels out of character. Brandy Kopp did a great :4palutena:, and she replaced Ali Hillis because she was unavailable at the moment of recording. By the way, did you know those two actresses are best friends in real life?

Lorenzo The Comic

Smash Journeyman
some place pronounced like a Pokémon Website
NNID
OutboundKid
I was hoping for :4mario: and :4luigi:'s voices to change so that they would sound more like the various games in the Mario series, especially :4luigi:, considering that SSB4's art style is more cartoony than Brawl. Lol at the way :4fox: says "Fire". :4pikachu: still continues to use his high knockback voice clips from Melee for being KO'd... come on.

Last edited:

Cedy

Smash Cadet
NNID
Cedyism
It's really a shame that they reused :rosalina:'s voice clips from Mario Kart 7. Her current voice actress sounds way better. The best job at Rosalina's voice acting was Super Mario 3D World. Her death screams are also dissapointing.
Still disappointed that :4bowser: didn't have his voice from Mario games.
:4bowserjr::4larry::4roy::4wendy::4iggy::4morton::4lemmy: No new voice acting for them. I understand why the koopalings don't have new voice acting, but it has been a long time we didn't hear new :4bowserjr: voice acting.
The new voice acting for :4kirby: is just fine.
I think :4drmario: Should have received Melee's :4mario: voice clips.
:4fox:'s voice acting is so bad that it's actually hilarious.
:4ness:'s new voice acting is fine, but I think Brawl's was better.
:4sonic:'s new voice acting is... not really good. "SONIC SPEEED" is just cringeworthy.

D

Deleted member

I'm pretty much fine with the voices outside of Sonic's and that's mainly because I do not like Sonic's new voice actor. I feel the new voice actor sounds really like odd, almost 'geeky' even while previous voices Sonic sounded more 'cool' and the voice flowed a bit better and had more overall intensity in it.

I thought Fox's was weird at first, but the more I listen to it the better it seems to sound since I'm imagining Star Fox 64. It coulda used some more work, though, but usually as voice actors get older they have trouble doing certain voices so it's to be expected.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
Hate that most of the cast has reused Brawl clips. Feels lazy, and doesn't help the game stick out compared to the rest.

What doesn't help is how Pit's voice is somehow even more annoying than before, which I didn't think was possible. Palutena's constant yelling of her attacks names pisses me off something awful, and Fox's new voice is a special kind of bad.

Zethoro

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zethor
Like many, I'm a bit dissapointed that many of Brawl's voice clips were reused, but it doesn't bother me that much.
I've gotten used to :4fox:'s new VA, but :4falco:...makes me so very sad. His new VA is better (Fox's too), but there was a definitive charm to his old voice.
HANS OFF MA BREAD. Give it back. :(
It makes sense that :4sonic:'s new voice actor took over since...well, the old VA isn't sonic anymore, but I feel the lines could have been given a bit better. Doesn't bother me too much, but the lack of "You're too slow!" makes me super sad.
:4pit:'s Uprising VA took some getting used to in Smash, but I like it.
:4littlemac:'s grunts and that wonderful "BOOYAH!" just make me love him so much. toobadforledgecampersmakingmehateusinghimthough
:4kirby:
's new VA is great, I really appreciate the more "Kirby-esque" voice as opposed to his terrible old one.
:4dedede:Is still great, thanks Sakurai.
I'm actually super happy that :4myfriends:'s voice clips were reused because, even though it's not accurate to his games at all it makes me laugh so much. "I fight for my friends."
:4bowser:'s lack of actual Bowser noises is frustrating, but the more accurate design of his character makes me happy.
:4duckhunt: makes me mad. Why don't we have the Duck Hunt laugh?
:4darkpit:'s VA did great.
:4lucina:'s voice seriously bothers me as it just doesn't sound right at all.
:4robinf: is great, but took some getting used to from her voice in her actual game.
:4ness: is okay.
:4olimar:NEEDS A FRIGGIN VOICE ALREADY. His voice is awesome, I love it. Just give him some grunts.
:rosalina:doesn't bother me, but it feels a bit lazy.
:4palutena: really needs to stop calling her attacks for gameplay and annoyance reasons. Other than that, it's good.
:4wiifitm: sounds super weird to me.
and :4falcon: should never, ever change.

Overall, the voices range from amazing, to okay, to awful. Overall I think I prefer the voices over Brawl.

Last edited:

C3CC

Smash Lord
Hate that most of the cast has reused Brawl clips. Feels lazy, and doesn't help the game stick out compared to the rest.

What doesn't help is how Pit's voice is somehow even more annoying than before, which I didn't think was possible. Palutena's constant yelling of her attacks names pisses me off something awful, and Fox's new voice is a special kind of bad.
I actually love that Palutena shouts the attack's name every time she uses them, hahaha. It bothers me when Captain Falcon or Ness do it, though.

TealPlatypus

Smash Cadet
:4jigglypuff:Still doesn't make a sound when she gets hit, and still uses the exact same voice clips from Smash 64. Come on, that's so lazy.
:4mario::4luigi:I agree. They sound too serious. Does Mario even smile in this game?

Also hate the fact that the characters use the same screams anytime they get hit. Melee did it way better.

Don't get me started on the god-awful crowd chanting...

VioletSmashfan

Smash Ace
NNID
SVPfan89
3DS FC
2964-9317-6440
I think :4drmario: Should have received Melee's :4mario: voice clips..
With alot more D'ohs in them. (it's what he and reg Mario say when they get KO'ed in Melee (except with Star KOs).

Those make me laugh too much

Last edited:

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
I actually love that Palutena shouts the attack's name every time she uses them, hahaha. It bothers me when Captain Falcon or Ness do it, though.
I'm probably a bit biased, as I don't like the character either.

Forgot to mention, Mac's voice is terrible. I liked his Punch-Out Wii one fine, why didn't they use that one? He sounds more like Piston Honda now.

Zethoro

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zethor
I'm probably a bit biased, as I don't like the character either.

Forgot to mention, Mac's voice is terrible. I liked his Punch-Out Wii one fine, why didn't they use that one? He sounds more like Piston Honda now.
The thing we have to keep in mind is that voice actors can say no to taking the job. It may not have even been the developers decision.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I think I'm the only one who likes the voice acting.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I think I'm the only one who likes the voice acting.
Nah, I like it all too. With the exception of the spacies.

My favorite is Shulk, though I've never played Xenoblade. It's an absolute joy to hear his accent as I play.

At the bottom is Fox, who literally sounds like Steve Urkel. Falco sounds like Steve trying to do an accent.

I also love Bowser and DK's "voices." Bowser just gives me Super Mario World vibes and DK sounds ready to break skulls.

All of the other characters that speak sound good, the reused clips for some isn't that bad. Mario would sound the same regardless.

Ness sounds better than ever, so I'm glad he shares Kirby's voice actress, otherwise he'd be reusing clips too.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
The thing we have to keep in mind is that voice actors can say no to taking the job. It may not have even been the developers decision.
True, it just feels weird to have such a distinctly western character with a clearly Japanese voice. Even if he doesn't speak.

Speaking of ...speaking, I wish Mega Man actually had a voice. His one from Powered Up would have worked well.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
All I miss are the spacies brawl voices, I loved Joey Wheeler Falco.
Kirby's new Voice is a lot more accurate to his games and sounds better too.
I think they shouldn't have reused as much brawl leftovers as they did, but I'm pretty happy regardless.

kantoskies

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kanto-skies
If I have to hear "BACKSLASH" one more time...

But really the voice acting in this game is kinda...subpar. Like I know reusing voice clips is nothing new for this series (hasn't Yoshi had the same voice clips since 64? And Pikachu/March since Melee?) but the fact that a lot of them are from Brawl kinda sucks because a lot of them suffer from Brawl's terrible aesthetic choice (mainly Mario and Link). Mario's in particular was probably one of my least favorite's in Brawl; they should have at least gone back to 64/Melee's clips but I'm guessing they wanted to match his angry face in the game (something else I never really understood)?

I didn't really like Peach's in Brawl either but since it was her current voice actress they could have mixed in some clips from other games like Super Mario 3D World. Rosalina's star KO scream (I think it's that one) is probably one of the worst bits of acting in the game, and yes I'm including Fox too. Speaking of Fox what bothers me more than the terrible acting is how different each of his clips sounds. Like one minute he's nasally screaming "FIRE" but the next his voice is down like a billion octaves when he's making a knockback sound?

But I think the worst out of all of the characters is the fact that Bowser, Donkey Kong, and Diddy Kong all have those animal noises from past games. Bowser is the worst since honestly he doesn't even sound like an animal, he sounds more like a machine trying to make animal sounds. DK is passable since he at least kind of sounds like a gorilla but they should have given Bowser his Mario series voices (didn't they record home universe clips for Bowser and DK in the past? Why are they still unused ughhh).

allison

She who makes bad posts
NNID
crazyal02
3DS FC
0216-1055-4584
All I can say is it's weird how Pit sounds like a chicken when he's hit at high damage.

BAWK-AWW!

_gold_

Smash Master
You guys do realize Fox and Falco are voiced by the same guys who voiced in Star Fox 64 3D, right?

Last edited:

Raijinken

Smash Master
They DID need new voices for PK Freeze and Autoreticle (and all of the other new Kirby moves). That aside, everything else just makes me wish I could set my voice language to Japanese. Playing through Awakening in Japanese means Robin and Lucina sound wrong in English. And Fox needs to stop pinching his nose.

Top Bottom