• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

On a scale - How good are you?

Andromeda

Smash Lord
There has been a kinda strange discussion on the swedish CN community on the SSB section. There you can say how good you think you are on a scale from 1 to 10 where 10 is Super Elite and 1 is Ultra-n00b. It has been, of course, some unrealistic posts from members who absolutely not is pro and saying they are 9/10 and such things. But if you would rate yourself on a scale from 1 to 50, how good are you? Please be honest in your posts! If a thread like this already has been up, I will delete this one.

Thanks to Aiko for the list!

Here's the requirements for your skill to pass a certain level:

0-9: For each level computer you can just beat.

10-19: For advanced techniques you know. The lower half if you know 1 or 2 advanced techs, to the higher half for knowing the majority and being able to perform all/most of the SSBM compendium. This includes SHFFL'd aerials, wavedashing and variations, edge hopping and hogging etc.

20-29: Having experienced many battles of competitive and advanced play. This includes mastery of characters to an extent where you can perform moves and combos to a high level at will. This category is obviously based on experience. If you have only recently learnt the advanced techniques, then you are probably around 19-22.

30-39: Once you have started doing relatively well in tournaments then you would be around 29-30+. NB: Anybody can enter a tournament, not everybody can do well. You should have placed in the top 50% before considering yourself above this group. This should be a consistant placing aswell.

40-49: This ranking is for the best of the best. Recognised smashers and pros such as Azen, Forward, Bombsoldier, Chudat etc. (sorry if I didn't mention you, I just picked the first few off the top of my head!). If you are a consistent tournament top 16 player then you're probably around here too.

50: Only for world champions. This doesn't mean scrubs.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
A scale to ten isn't nearly broad enough for a game like this.

Out of 50, I'd say I'm a 25-30... and I'm the best in my city.

Andromeda

Smash Lord
A scale to ten isn't nearly broad enough for a game like this.

Out of 50, I'd say I'm a 25-30... and I'm the best in my city.
Alrighty then! Let's make it to a scale from 1 to 50 instead so we get a reliable vision! On a scale like that I would be... maybe 18. I'm not as good as I wish i were.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Well I'd have to say I'm a 30-35. I normally beat anyone I play [that doesn't mean I've never been beaten], but I don't know advanced techs otherwise I'd say 40-45. I've never been to a tournament [big or small] before either.

virtualgamecafe

Smash Journeyman
a 7 maybe? i kinda use wavedashing but can get realy silly when i play and kill myself/play around

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
If you have never been to a tournament you are no higher than a 2 or 3 out of 10. Keep it out of 10 and just be like, im a 5.5 or something.

Personally, I'd say I'm around an 7 or 8 out of 10.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Lol Tera that's the same forumla I used when I saw it was out of 50 instead of out of 10.

Andromeda

Smash Lord
Well I'd have to say I'm a 30-35. I normally beat anyone I play [that doesn't mean I've never been beaten], but I don't know advanced techs otherwise I'd say 40-45. I've never been to a tournament [big or small] before either.
I belive you but I think that if you not have been on a tournament or any kind of smash-meeting you can rarely rate yourself higher than 30. This is a really hard list! My oppinion to that is if you've never played against very good human players, you really don't have experience enough to be a pro. But you may not have been on a tournament before but you maybe have played against really good players anyway! :) I rated myself 18 because I am not really what you may call hardcore smasher and have never played against any good human player. (I've only lost once to any human player and that was my neighbour) I've only played against lv 9 CPU's as best and that's why I can't rate myself higher.

Kinlap

Smash Apprentice
2.435 out of 10. I know all of the general techniques and how characters/techniques work, but I lack experience.

Aiko

Smash Champion
30-35 without techiques? i'd say your below 15-20 but this is a matter of opinion. What really needs to done is to have a key to go with the scale.

10-19: For advanced techniques you know. The lower half if you know 1 or 2 advanced techs, to the higher half for knowing the majority and being able to perform all/most of the SSBM compendium. This includes SHFFL'd aerials, wavedashing and variations, edge hopping and hogging etc.

20-29: Having experienced many battles of competitive and advanced play. This includes mastery of characters to an extent where you can perform moves and combos to a high level at will. This category is obviously based on experience. If you have only recently learnt the advanced techniques, then you are probably around 19-22.

30-39: Once you have started doing relatively well in tournaments then you would be around 29-30+. NB: Anybody can enter a tournament, not everybody can do well. You should have placed in the top 50% before considering yourself above this group. This should be a consistant placing aswell.

40-49: This ranking is for the best of the best. Recognised smashers and pros such as Azen, Forward, Bombsoldier, Chudat etc. (sorry if I didn't mention you, I just picked the first few off the top of my head!). If you are a consistent tournament top 16 player then you're probably around here too.

: Only for world champions. This doesn't mean scrubs.

After that listing, I would rate myself 22. I am fully aware of 99% of advanced techniques but have very little oppurtunity to push myself to the max. That could all change by next week though ;)

@andromeda: Consider pasting this into your original post. Makes things less ambiguous.

Andromeda

Smash Lord
30-35 without techiques? i'd say your below 15-20 but this is a matter of opinion. What really needs to done is to have a key to go with the scale.

: Only for world champions. This doesn't mean scrubs.

After that listing, I would rate myself 22. I am fully aware of 99% of advanced techniques but have very little oppurtunity to push myself to the max. That could all change by next week though ;)

@andromeda: Consider pasting this into your original post. Makes things less ambiguous.
I will, cuz that was a very good comparision between the levels. Even if it takes me down on the scale a bit but I DO know how to wavedash!

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Screw it I'm a 0 because everyone here as played me and knows actually how I operate and knows that advanced techniques and playing in tournaments automatically makes you a pro.

You don't have to know advanced techniques to good better than average [that's what 5 is people, average] and god knows that every good player can't go to tournaments, so they just play with their friends.

Aiko

Smash Champion
Screw it I'm a 0 because everyone here as played me and knows actually how I operate and knows that advanced techniques and playing in tournaments automatically makes you a pro.

You don't have to know advanced techniques to good better than average [that's what 5 is people, average] and god knows that every good player can't go to tournaments, so they just play with their friends.
I appreciate that you may not be able to enter tournaments, Heck I've not been to one but thats cos I live in go nowhere UK, but by regularly attending tournaments and with proactive learning, you DO get significantly better.

Extensive knowledge of advanced techniques is generally required as without them, you are at a major disadvantage. For example, if you don't know how to edge hop, your edgegame is immediately decreased to nothing as you have very limited options. Ledgehopping gives you the option to do absolutely ANYTHING you can do normally and subsequently expands your game.

Also your assumption of 5 being average has merits, but unfortunately, the average standard we pertain here is being able to perform advanced techniques, using them consistantly and effectively. Hence our average (25) would be knowledge of the majority of advanced techniques and performing them consistantly against others with similar knowledge.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
In my opinion it's mainly about mindgames, techniques can tremendously improve mindgames but if you are all technique and no mind then you will just find yourself charging into fog.

Remember I'm not a pro, but I'm definitely not average.

I would know because very few of the people I play have any mindgames at all so nothing they do works because they keep running into my mindgames.

I've played others with good mindgames and the difference definity shows.

P.S. I play in arcades sometimes [other times I visit other smashers] so I play [against] a variety of styles and techniques.

Aiko

Smash Champion
Whilst your right that mindgames plays a very large factor in smash, mindgames tends to come after techniques and generally only apply when players are of a similar level. Although your mindgames might be better than others, if they have more technical skill. they are more likely to win.

I'm not trying to discourage you, nor am I talking down to you. I'm merely trying to open your eyes so that you may see the smash community for what it really is and strive to improve.

But hey, you may already be better than me ;)

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I know advanced techs are good just as long as you know how and when to use them to your advantage [hell, I'd learn 'em but I don't have a working GC anymore] but I can just picture someone learning advances techs, spamming WDs all over the place and calling himself a super elite pro smasher :chuckle:.

I guess you can say mindgames and advanced techs, go hand in hand.

SilverDraco134

Smash Cadet
I'm maybe a 10-11 out of 50 lol. I haven't played in any tournies though I can match the computers well. My cousin, who is younger and plays a Falco, might be like a 13-15. I need to get to practicing and try to beat him.

Aiko

Smash Champion
yeah they do indeed. Wavedashing is useful but not the most important of techniques. I'd say L-cancel, edge hops and shffls are the most important. Wavedashing doesnt make you good, the other 3 do (along with many others)

Aiko

Smash Champion
Red_Exodus said:
I guess you can say mindgames and advanced techs, go hand in hand.
yeah they do indeed. Wavedashing is useful but not the most important of techniques. I'd say L-cancel, edge hops and shffls are the most important. Wavedashing doesnt make you good, the other 3 do (along with many others)

Edit: sorry for double post. my mistake

Edg

Smash Cadet
18? probably? dunno i consider myself a pretty serious gamer but nobody to play with ~~. Gotta get tourny hopping some time

Pye

Smash Journeyman
Montreal. PM me if you're on the island! I need op
I'm in exacly the same learning "section" as Respawn. I'd place myself at 19-20. I'm right in that transition period between the 10-19 section and the 20-29 section. I can perform all compeditive level moves, and can apply all but a select few at will in combat (and I'm working on those. Should be able to do them shortly).

However, my experience is seriously sub-par. Having been to no tournaments, I am only starting to understand how "mindgames" work, and what exacly they feel like. Following DI or techs deffinitly isn't my forte, but I'm getting the hang of it. As a result, I don't combo especially well against foes who DI well. I can chase and combo mediocre DI, but not good DI.

Acualy, heres a question. How often does one have to play SSBM against humans? I can usualy find human opponents on most weekends. Is this above average, under average, or what?

Aiko

Smash Champion
I'm in exacly the same learning "section" as Respawn. I'd place myself at 19-20. I'm right in that transition period between the 10-19 section and the 20-29 section. I can perform all compeditive level moves, and can apply all but a select few at will in combat (and I'm working on those. Should be able to do them shortly).

However, my experience is seriously sub-par. Having been to no tournaments, I am only starting to understand how "mindgames" work, and what exacly they feel like. Following DI or techs deffinitly isn't my forte, but I'm getting the hang of it. As a result, I don't combo especially well against foes who DI well. I can chase and combo mediocre DI, but not good DI.

Acualy, heres a question. How often does one have to play SSBM against humans? I can usualy find human opponents on most weekends. Is this above average, under average, or what?
It's more down to what environment your in. Some people live with competitive smashers, for others, the nearest competitive smasher may be in the next country :psycho: I'm meeting my first competitive smasher next week. Having human players most weekends is good since you have time to think over your technique and strategy during the week.

The difference is the level of your opponents. If they're casual players you'll struggle to get better, but if you have people to teach you, you'll learn at an incredible rate.

Corigames

Smash Hero
I think 30, because I haven't played in a tournament. I have played and beaten a few that have. So I would like to say more, but I haven't actually played in a tournament.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
With Aiko's detailed scale, I'd put myself down to a 23 or something.

Red Exodus:

It's not the fact that going to tournaments 'makes you better', it's just that when you go there, you learn SO much.

I've had this game since it came out in 2001. I never played competitive smash until this past September.

I've learned more about this game in 4 months of competitive smash than I did in the past 5 years of casual smash.

Smash Master
26 sounds good. I can do advanced techs well. I can Wobble, JC shine, and Superwavedash, and I can adapt to my opponent's playstyle midmatch. My reaction time/ fingers are pathetically slow, though, so I basically have to stay one step ahead of my opponents at all times, otherwise I get *****. That's hard to do.

Samochan

Smash Master
Hmm... I'd say 32. I can do all the techs with the characters I play and lots of techs with the characters I don't play or practice with (though waveshine is still too tough for me, can't get it to work fluently since I'm too slow). I've been on many tournament here, some succesful and others... dreadful. ^^;; Not because people are better than me or something else, but my playing can sometimes be very inconsistent, though when I do well I can also place very well. Recently was on 7th place on singles, a tournament before that I placed 1st on teams. Still improving though, trying to make my game more consistent, get rid of the nervousness and do better on tournament. :3

Chuckles

Smash Apprentice
Hm. 26 at best. Adv techs are easy(l cancle ****, Wavedash) I can do specific character stuff ya know shinspike, waveshine, Pillar, IC changrab uhm.. I've been to around 5 tournements or so i've done ok. Just i know it wasnt my best. Go**** nervousness/st00pidness.

yorpy

Smash Journeyman
im probably a 10/50, out of 10 im probably a 3 or 4. Because i play boozer and almost everyone beats me, and i've never been to a real tournament before.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
I'd say that I'm in the "30-39" group because I'm the best smasher in my town. And i've won several tournaments in my town.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
I'd say I'm a 29.5 right now because my tournament placings are so inconsistent. Sometimes I get top ten, sometimes I tie for dead last out of 40-50 people.

Top Bottom