• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Omegablackmage's Mr. Game and Watch Guide

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
What ways can g&w approach besides RAR with turtle and shorthopped nair?
Sometimes I approach by running up to them and then shielding. Then I shieldgrab them or I drop my shield and attack. It's really good.

G&W wears a hard hat during his dash attack which has priority over a lot of moves, and even some projectiles, so the dash attack is actually a decent approach.
I agree. The hard hat even clashes with Marth's sword attacks, can you believe it :grin:

SlickSlicer

Smash Apprentice
This is a great guide. Thanks a bunch dude.

This guy a play a lot online uses Dedede, so I did notice that the chain grab fails against Game and Watch. It's actually quite an interesting perk, since the dude tries to chain grab lots of other people.

I never thought of using the bucket to absorb pk thunder, but that's absolutely genius.

omegablackmage

Certified Lion Rider
i find the best ways to approach are:

- rar turtle, works really well when you space it right.
- running up and sheild canceling, usually you will powershield their attempts to hit you and you can grab them, sometimes they will grab you out of this if your very obvious about it.
- running up near them (outside of their grab/attack reach) and empty shuffle to airdodge, landing behind them to a turn around grab.
- repeat the above method except airdodging land behind them while doing a nair, this cancels well on the ground and you could probably turn around a grab right after this.
- somtimes you can space a short hopped fair to retreat but this is much laggier than the turtle and it punishes sheilds much less.
- moving forward out of their reach and dtilting will usually get a lot of characters.

i think gw does pretty well vs ddd. he can't be chaingrabbed, there are lots of good counters to his up b and you can out reach some of his approaches like his back air i thinks. you can bucket waddle doo's beam attack if they happen to leave him out.

daytimeninja

Smash Apprentice
NNID
gavgrego
Yes, you can bucket waddle doo's beam as well as his stars. I've noticed another good approach is to dash, then shdair, this also does knockback which prevents the opponent from punishing you right after as well.

omegablackmage

Certified Lion Rider
that only really works well if your opponent is sheilding near the edge so they get pushed off, otherwise they'll just wait until after the second hit and then grab you.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
i think gw does pretty well vs ddd. he can't be chaingrabbed, there are lots of good counters to his up b and you can out reach some of his approaches like his back air i thinks. you can bucket waddle doo's beam attack if they happen to leave him out.
Wow, G&W can't be DDD CGed? Broken. XD

I dunno though, I personally find it hard to punish Dedede's Up-B to be honest. Maybe I'm not U-airing enough?

omegablackmage

Certified Lion Rider
here's what i do vs ddd's up b. first you need to be ready if they decide to cancel it and go for the edge. if your quick you can get in for the hog and an easy kill. if they continue on jump just under him and use your nair. this will interrupt him without much risk on your part. if you time it right then you'll hit him with the last part of it and pop him up slightly depending on his percent which can be chained into an up b which will send him back out of the stage where you can rinse and repeat for a good amount of damage or even a kill.

daytimeninja

Smash Apprentice
NNID
gavgrego
here's what i do vs ddd's up b. first you need to be ready if they decide to cancel it and go for the edge. if your quick you can get in for the hog and an easy kill. if they continue on jump just under him and use your nair. this will interrupt him without much risk on your part. if you time it right then you'll hit him with the last part of it and pop him up slightly depending on his percent which can be chained into an up b which will send him back out of the stage where you can rinse and repeat for a good amount of damage or even a kill.
Yes, with DDD, if he is b+upping to get back on stage, poking the dtilt off the edge can give him hell too, followed by a dsmash.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
Bucketing the Waddle Dee's beam attack is amazing.

But I was thinking pictures would make this guide twice as amazing. If you want, I can try to start on that.

Shök

Smash Champion
Yeah.

Having videos or pictures in this thread would make it better.

AllLifeIsButADream

Smash Rookie
Overall pretty good. Probably add something about the slow (fastfall) dair spike. And if you're feeling ambitious lag frames from the moves along with the rules for the judgement move and which numbers you can get.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
Alright, I have pictures of each of his moves. They're all set in the Mushroomy Kingdom. How big should the pictures be?

About the judgment hammers...

I have those, at the moment, all showing the hemmer hit/or its effect. If you don't want 9 separate pictures, I could do a small banner like thing just showing 9 frames of G&W holding his hammer and the number. I'm sorta split on how to go about this.

How would you like me to get the pictures to you? PM the easiest?

omegablackmage

Certified Lion Rider
yeah pm'ing me would probably be the easiest way, and just send me all the pictures you have and i'll decide after if i want to put them in or not. Thanks in advance.

Wiggles

Smash Cadet
I didn't bother reading all the pages, but I figured I could put in my two cents here, and hope it isn't redundant.

I have found G&Ws edgeguarding to be near the best in the game. His fairs and back airs come out very nicely. Fox, Falco, Wolf, Link, Toon Link, Samus, ZSS, Ganon, and Peach are easily gimped by G&W's fairs. It may seem scrubbish, but all you have to do to gimp the above characters who are slightly above, even with, or slightly below the stage is jump down and fair, use your second jump, fair again, then Up-B. At any percentage, 0-999, this will put the above characters too far from the edge to get it. It's pretty sicknasty, and it's very hated among the members of my crew. It's simple, it's flashy, and it's guarenteed. What more could you want? I actually recommend this tactic more than any other on FD, because you're two far out to get stuck under the platform, and you generally float left to sweetspot. Just don't forget, you can't Up-B again. I forget this sometimes, and do stupid shi7 for the SD.

daytimeninja

Smash Apprentice
NNID
gavgrego
I didn't bother reading all the pages, but I figured I could put in my two cents here, and hope it isn't redundant.

I have found G&Ws edgeguarding to be near the best in the game. His fairs and back airs come out very nicely. Fox, Falco, Wolf, Link, Toon Link, Samus, ZSS, Ganon, and Peach are easily gimped by G&W's fairs. It may seem scrubbish, but all you have to do to gimp the above characters who are slightly above, even with, or slightly below the stage is jump down and fair, use your second jump, fair again, then Up-B. At any percentage, 0-999, this will put the above characters too far from the edge to get it. It's pretty sicknasty, and it's very hated among the members of my crew. It's simple, it's flashy, and it's guarenteed. What more could you want? I actually recommend this tactic more than any other on FD, because you're two far out to get stuck under the platform, and you generally float left to sweetspot. Just don't forget, you can't Up-B again. I forget this sometimes, and do stupid shi7 for the SD.
Along with those, dtilt is also good at edgeguarding people with quick recoveries that do damage (marth, etc.).

Just stay back out of their reach then dtilt.

~S@G3~

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
SAGE#234
I would suggest that you add on the back air that when you land on the ground with the back air out that it will send out a hit box that deals 3 damage.

Sw0rd

Smash Cadet
Awesome guide, the only thing I see thats needed is some vids. Nice guide against D3 too, it's going to help alot.

omegablackmage

Certified Lion Rider
alright so i made a lot of edits

changed all of the move descriptions to be easier to read
added in pictures courtesy of escalator
added a bit of color coding/table of contents for ease of read
more asthetic changes

i got a tournament coming up this weekend, mass madness, i'll let you know if i learn anything knew matchups wise etc

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
Amazing update Omega. You really cleaned up the guide, and even the chart I made. The color and neatness goes a long way.

I'll get the pictures to you as soon as I can. I havent been home much, so I cant say I've had opportunities to do it.

I'm starting on instructional videos, but if someone else has already made a start or want to do something related, you can take over, or we can work on it together. It's hardest to decide what to make first.

Anyways, great job.

Shök

Smash Champion
Great changes in the guide.

It is more easier to read and looks great..

Good job!!!

Neb

Smash Lord
@omegablackmage

Hey, nice job on the guide!
But anyway, do you think manhole and greenhouse being able to reflect or stun some types of weaponry should be included in the guide? Most importantly the two techniques can punish pikmin even from a fully charged attack by Olimar. Both sorta catapult the pikmin in different directions, I think it could be useful against Olimar mainers.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
Yeah, it cancels out a lot of projectiles
The Link's arrows and boomerangs, pikmin, and it does some others, but I sorta forget which ones xP

Neb

Smash Lord
Ok, since this is news to some people, I decided to spend a few minutes making a chart of what projectiles G&W can safeguard against.

________________________________________________________________________________

These are a list of projectiles that can be blocked against with Manhole or Greenhouse. This is a makeshift defense that can have a short lag after shielding. It can be very useful as a secondary safeguard, or when the buckets full.

Manhole

· Mario & Luigi: Fireball
· Link: Arrows (not fully charged), Bombs (At a distance), Boomerang
· Samus: Energy Ball (not fully charged), Missile (only seeker)
· ZSS: Plasma Laser/Whip (Sweet-Spot)
· Pikachu: Thunderbolt
· Diddy: Peanuts (No lag/ disintegrates them)
· Pit: Arrows
· PT (Pokemon Trainer): Ivysaur- Razor Leaf, Charizard- Flamethrower
· Snake: Missile (Redirects), D-smash mine (Harmlessly detonates)
· Peach: Turnips
· Yoshi: Egg Roll
· D3: Waddle Dee’s
· Lucario: Shadow Ball
· Ness- PKT
· Wario- Bike parts/Bike
· Olimar: Pikmin (PWNage)
· TL- Same as link

Greenhouse
· Link: Arrows (not fully charged), Boomerang
· Samus: Energy Ball (not fully charged), Missile (only seeker)
· ZSS: Plasma Laser
· Diddy: Peanut (no lag/disintegrates)
· PT: Ivysaur- Razorleaf
· Snake: Missile (Slows momentum/redirects)
· Yoshi: Egg Roll
· IC (Ice Climbers): Ice Block (reflects back!)
· Ness: PKT
· Wario: Bike/Bike parts
· TL: Same as link
· Olimar: Pikmin (Creamed!)
· R.O.B: Gyro (not fully charged)

Note:

1. Some of these projectiles/miscellaneous techniques do not require a constant jab or manhole, some you can just tap to diminish. Tap on single hit projectiles, and constant on multi-hitbox projectiles. The defense can be lightning fast, with negligible lag!

2. I did not try out all of the non-projectiles attacks, but some are possible to defend against.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
THANKS NEB
I was going to check that out if you werent :p

good job, it looks really clean in bullet format

and I sent the last pictures to omega

Neb

Smash Lord
Heheh, np Escalator, and thanks! But yeah, the move, especially with the greenhouse is really quick on single hit projectiles. Even with spammers, all you have to do is tap at the right time, I guess you could say it kinda works like a Marth counter, the timing that is. Perfect for spammers, plus you won't have to jump around dodging crap, which would usually give a foe an opening.

And thanks for contributing with the pictures, it needed some.

omegablackmage

Certified Lion Rider
i don't know if this would be asking too much, but could you look into which projectiles a shorthopped back air would cancel out? if you can't i can probably do it at some later time, otherwise if you got that information in I will totally put that in the guide. good work though thanks

Neb

Smash Lord
Sure, I'll work on it later today. Though I don't believe it would be very effective, aside for an air defense.

Neb

Smash Lord
As follows...

Snapping Turtle
· Lucas & Ness: PKT
· Link & TL: Boomerang, Arrow, Bomb (Sweet-spot)
· Samus: Energy Ball (not fully charged), Missile (creams), Ball Bombs
· ZSS: Plasma laser, Armor pieces
· Diddy: Peanut (cracks)
· Pokemon Trainer: Ivysaur- Razorleaf
· Snake: Missile (harmlessly deflects)
· Yoshi: Eggs/Egg Roll
· IC: Ice Blocks (reflects/ splits on a sweet-spot)
· Lucario: Shadow Ball (not fully charged)
· Olimar: Pikmin
· R.O.B: Gyro

Note: The turtle works OK, its just more difficult to land against projectiles, but can be useful in the air. I believe the package can do the same as the turtle.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
hey Neb, is Chef any good at stopping similar projectiles?
Specifically, Rob's Gyro.

Thanks for the effort you put in!
I'm not expecting a list, so you dont have to worry.

:D

And two things Omega.

1: I'm considering making the bucket list into a guide (I made more updates this morning, but it's unbumped. It doesn't matter, as Im not done). It really wouldn't fit in this guide, if you take all of it. I would love to see my chart/notes in this, though. So what things would you want me to improve on in the chart itself so it would fit in the guide? I just added little character icons and I think they look cool.

2: I'm actually considering taking better screen shots for this guide, but it's so soon after you just added these, so I dont want to present you with anything else so soon. They're not as bland as the gritzy desert, and I already have a couple.

For example, the top picture in my guide was originally what I planned as the new screenie for your guide. I think the hammers are fine as is, but the bucket and parachute should be single pictures and possibly be set in different places.

So yeah.

This guide is awesome, and I also hope to soon be able to work on videos if you would like. Quality is ace, I'm just a little hesitant to it being a link to my youtube.

Great job!
and I hope you become a BRoomer

Neb

Smash Lord
It can stop a few projectiles, but not nearly as much as Greenhouse or Manhole. And yes, Chef can reflect gyro but it has to be timed precisely, but even the foods can stop the gyro, depending on how they fall.

thesultan2112

Smash Apprentice
hey i was skiming and didn't see anything on this, but when ness youses his up b on the ground if your close enough to him, you can down b and get a full bucket out of this, i dunno if anyone posted ths yet or not though.. but it's sweet and i didn't see it in the main guide

Neb

Smash Lord
Escalator might be interested in this, since he's working on a "Bucket List". Although it might sound useful (and it could be), actually filling it up on a ness can be difficult. Since his up-b is quick, and also, not very much mainers use pkt on the ground. But I dunno, thats just me.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
The bucket list itself is pretty much complete. The strategy part needs more info, but this doesnt sound too feasible in an actual match. Not many Ness' charge a PKT at point blank.

I was doing this in testing by accident (so I could fill the bucket as quick as possible), but it messed with my results, and gave my bucket a mid point between the weak and strong parts of PK thunder.

I did mention, however, that you can absorb Ness' and Lucas' recovery off the stage as a gimping tactic, and this fits in to that.

Thanks for the thought of helping the G&W community, though! It's great whenever anyone contributes a bit of information. You never know, someone reading this may not of known.

thesultan2112

Smash Apprentice
ya the ness i was playing wasn't very good, so he was on the ground , controllin his up B, so it wasnt very diffcualt to get close to him, but i don't see why any good play would sacifice hismelf like that

Top Bottom