• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Omegablackmage's Mr. Game and Watch Guide

Chains

Smash Apprentice
i'm preeeety glad that G&W got buffed but was he buffed a ton or not.

omegablackmage

Certified Lion Rider
i'll have to check that out kips, sounds like a possibility.

56k and alpha were fairly well known gw users in melee so im glad to see someone else's enjoys the changes and such and agrees that he's better.

alphameric

Smash Ace
you cant cancel his downward movement.
the only thing you can do is NOT fastfall, but it will still take you down

@56k
i was treating his dair spike like i did ganons side b spike in melee.
jump -> key -> up-b as fast as you can :laugh:

i was playing one of crew members who was playing as pkmn trainer's squirtle.
nair -> grab -> dthrow -> instantaneous dsmash kill. It was so nasty and fast.

also, my first game had me getting tech chase dthrown by snake :ohwell:
i'm thinking you can jab out of it though, either way it wasnt cool and i still won the game :p

omegablackmage

Certified Lion Rider
no its not that bad since he doesn't fall as fast, you can short hop key off the edge and still recover i think ( cuz well ya know his up b is so sick)

dthrow dsmash combo is niiiice

im pretty sure at this point that no hammer can be drawn within the next two hammers pulled

oh yeah, dmash is gw's best kill move, no doubt about it

Kips

Smash Ace
Well if they totally upgraded the D-Smash, left the U-Smash untouched and nerfed the F-Smash then it looks like he received little to no nerfs and a ton of buffs. Have the properties of his bucket been determined or is it exactly the same, and any information about the pan?

sodacova

Smash Rookie
I've been playing a lot of G&W and I've noticed a few more things.

#7 now generates food even if items are turned off. In Melee you wouldn't get any food if items were off, so this is kinda nice, I guess.

The bucket is way improved. You can catch projectiles that are well above or below you. I was playing against a Luigi on Battlefield and I was able to catch fireballs being thrown above the low platforms when I was standing on the ground. The range is crazy. Also it doesn't seem to matter which direction you're facing -- if any projectile comes anywhere near you when you have the bucket out, you'll catch it. Also the payload is much stronger. Even if you catch three weak projectiles, the move has KO potential. A bucket filled with three Luigi fireballs will do about 50% damage and has at least as much knockback as a #9.

I'm gonna test out the bucket in training mode to see just how powerful this move is.

Edit: ok I tested out the bucket on every special move that can be caught with it. They seem to fit into five categories with one exception. I have recorded the damage and KO range for each category. I measured the KO range from the center of Final Destination, and obviously it will differ slightly depending on the character you're using it against.

18% damage, won't KO until well over 100%
Lizardon - fire breath
Ice Climber - breath
Koopa - fire breath

25% damage, KOs around 65% with no DI
Lucas - PK Fire
Fox - blaster
Falco - blaster
Samus - uncharged shots

33% damage
Ness - PK Fire

42% damage, KOs around 20% with no DI
Robot - optic blast
Mario - fireballs
Pit - arrows

44% damage
Lucario - uncharged energy ball

50% damage, KOs at 0% with no DI
Pikachu - neutral B lightning
Wolf - blaster
Luigi - fireball
Kirby - final cutter

60% damage, KOs at 0% even with DI
Pikachu - down B lightning
Zelda - Din's Fire
Lucas - PK Freeze
Lucas - PK Thunder
Ness - PK Flash
Ness - PK Thunder
Lucario - fully charged energy balls
Samus - fully charged shots

Edited again to include a couple moves I missed

Kips

Smash Ace
Wow, G&W's bucket is disgusting now then. Looks like he's practically unstoppable now, what with all the new buffs and stuff. Plus his predictable recovery isn't as big of an issue with the edgeguarding nerfs!

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Some things you should add to your guide:

Neutral Special (Frying Pan) - mention that more than sausages come out now (like fish). Also, in Melee if you jumped and immediately used the Frying Pan it would cancel your jump; this no longer happens in Brawl.

Down Special (Bucket) - When catching projectiles, G&W no longer has that funny lag that freezes him in place so that he can now fill up his bucket almost instantly against multi-projectiles, his invincibility frames protect him as he catches the projectiles so he doesn't get interrupted even if engulfed with Bowser flames!

Up Tilt (Flag) - Has less horizontal reach, but it's used to catch people above you anyway.

Forward Air (Box, Block, w/e) - You really should mention the lag this attack has when landing. Strong and laggy attack, great for finishing off your opponent.

omegablackmage

Certified Lion Rider
thanks for the suggestions guys, i'll be sure to update the guide with more information next week sometime. sodacova, can i use your data in my guide, assuming i give you credit of course (what about kirby's up b?)

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I really want G&W to be used in tournaments. He's so iconic really. More than Fox, Marth, Sheik, those guys y'know?

no gw isn't that good
characters like pit/meta/marth and such are for sure better than him, but hes gotta be high to upper tier for sure
=(

Oh well, being high tier is 100000000x better than being bottom tier. He really should have been top tier, if anyone. Or Mario for that matter.

Needle of Juntah

Smash Champion
yeah having a downsmash is really weird lol
gotta say thanks for omega for brainwashing these guys into noobery like u did in melle :) how can u possibly have a guide to GW already :/ o well ill never do one u just gotta listen when i speak

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
I was wondering why Kirby's Final Cutter shockwave wasn't in that list of Bucket projectiles too. He's been able to catch it since Melee.

omegablackmage

Certified Lion Rider
ah noj still an *** as usual : p

nah i know its not the best of guides, but it is a lot of solid info about the character, hopefully someone will find it useful, when i can play better people i can get some more info about char matchups

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Hey alphameric, how about his matchup vs Metaknight? What about Marth? Those two seem to be popular in tournament play.

Cosmo!

nerf zelda's dsmash
btw upsmash is quite good now lol its safe on block cause its so powerful it pushes their shield back.

i suggest omegablackmage tries this move out more, try it out of a dash, its quite good

Needle of Juntah

Smash Champion
yeah i know im an ***, sorry :( ive never seen a good GW player in melle. some people had potential, dire was good, ill give him that. im a noob for never getting a video out but ill get one of me killing levels 9's one of these days. i SHOULD have some brawl GW vids comming out like today but this is the same **** i went through with melle, the people with my vids dont wanna release them :/

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
For a short time...I had to go back! lol

But now I just use him to counterpick Foxes, Falcon, and Ganons. And whatever other character I think my Samus can't beat.

G&W on Green Greens...ultimate counterpick =D

omegablackmage

Certified Lion Rider
yeah i don't know about upsmash out of dashes still, it is strong i'll give you that but it would be quite easy to get grabbed out of if your opponent saw you doing this i would think.

vs pit - keep your range, this is your biggest asset in this matchup. his fsmash is quite fast and annoying so you have to watch out for that. Pit also has a lot of priority too so not everything hit him when matching attacks up.

vs meta - also has a lot of priority, but not as much range as gw. his up b out of sheild can be deadly along with his dsmash which is also very quick. Make sure your full hopping your fairs so you don't catch all that landing lag or make good use of your bair to keep them away. edgeguarding can be tricky, probably want to frying pan to fair, that seems to work the best from what i've seen.

vs marth - this match i would probably say would be the hardest theoretically from the three although i have the easiest time with him. maybe the reduction in range from melee is the biggest asset in this matchup. dtilts are nice for approaching since they seem to outrange everything marth has. Edgeguarding with run off fairs isn't too hard to do so this matchup is certainly feasible now.

Velocity

Smash Lord
vs marth - this match i would probably say would be the hardest theoretically from the three although i have the easiest time with him. maybe the reduction in range from melee is the biggest asset in this matchup. dtilts are nice for approaching since they seem to outrange everything marth has. Edgeguarding with run off fairs isn't too hard to do so this matchup is certainly feasible now.
you havent played m2ks marth

alphameric

Smash Ace
so i just played brawl all day as gaw again..
goddamit i wish i had my recording equipment because gaw seriously ***** the **** out of everyone.

nair autocancels, so if you dont hit them with the full deal and send them flying, you can grab or uair, utilr or whatever. pretty much have your way with them as you please.

turtle has ridiculous range and priority, and doing it right is completely unpunishable.

i abuse the uair so much simply because it throws everyone off and characters like sheik, sonic, zamus who have dairs that send them down, get completely ruined bcause it keeps them stationary.

fair still has the sweet spot, but its just the complete tip on the opening frames.

dthrow downsmash works fantastic if your opponent cant tech the throw..

****, im so happy :chuckle:
seriously cant wait to own the game so i can get some footage down

Lag

Smash Journeyman
Lol I just thought of something. I don't know if it's possible though, so whoever wants to test it, be my guest. Killing someone with the Up-Air's pushing properties. Again just a thought, most likely not going to happen, but you never know.

Cosmo!

nerf zelda's dsmash
Lol I just thought of something. I don't know if it's possible though, so whoever wants to test it, be my guest. Killing someone with the Up-Air's pushing properties. Again just a thought, most likely not going to happen, but you never know.
I did this to Zjiin's metaknight on the Halberd stage. We were both surprised.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I saw that video Cosmo. It was the best KO ever. At like 30%! (not saying the damage matters, I'm just saying the move gimp killed) XD

I'm guessing it has to do partly with Halberd's smaller skybox maybe? I've seen many instances where it looks like people barely survived getting star KOed by the Up-air like that on other stages. Hmmm... I'm thinking Halberd is a G&W counterpick. Recovery seems ridiculously easy for G&W on that moving stage, and there the vertical skybox seems small which sets up for U-air gimp kills?

Cosmo!

nerf zelda's dsmash
I think he jumped the moment i blew air at him so the combined momentum plus the lower ceiling (I guess?? I didn't realize it was low) caused a KO.

hmm. I'm thinking I might start playing on Green Greens.

Top Bottom