• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Omegablackmage's Mr. Game and Watch Guide

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I dunno, it just looks like Halberd has a lower ceiling than other stages, because I've seen many instances where people jumped into the U-air push effect and still survived on other stages.

omegablackmage

Certified Lion Rider
im pretty sure there has to be a knockback somewhere in order for someone to die off the top of the stage. Luigi's ladder never killed anyone in melee so i'd be willing to bet it doesn't

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
im pretty sure there has to be a knockback somewhere in order for someone to die off the top of the stage. Luigi's ladder never killed anyone in melee so i'd be willing to bet it doesn't
You would lose that bet.

You can kill yourself off the top now. Luigi ladder no longer works.

Trust me.

Cosmo!

nerf zelda's dsmash
Hylian is right, Luigi's ladder = death. And that means G&W uair pushback = death too. Green greens ftw????

DYF

Smash Cadet
Lol I just thought of something. I don't know if it's possible though, so whoever wants to test it, be my guest. Killing someone with the Up-Air's pushing properties. Again just a thought, most likely not going to happen, but you never know.
I did this to Zjiin's metaknight on the Halberd stage. We were both surprised.
I can confirm that, but no video of it tho ='[
I killed a falco on pokemon stadium2 at under 20% by using uair the moment he jumped pushing him to his death. Havent been able to get another kill the same way since =/

omegablackmage

Certified Lion Rider
well i hadn't tested it i was just assuming they didn't change anything from the last game. However i've yet to see anyone die from the up air so it can't be thaaat useful, but we'll see i suppose. im pretty sure i've seen some people get popped up pretty high (i hit them with the up air just as they jump) and they didn't die, guess i'll have to test it more.

Needle of Juntah

Smash Champion
yeh i dono what these noobs are talking about. guy musta had a bomb or somthin in his hand. maybe some mechanic we dont know about yet. GW Uair definatly didnt seem to kill uptop unless u actually hit with it. wheres this video i hear of

Chivio

Smash Rookie
The new Falco, anyone? I mained Ganondorf in Melee, i think i'm gonna go with GaW.

Can you only Key/Pillar on platforms, or can you short hop it?

omegablackmage

Certified Lion Rider
its not a pillar, but you can do them in rapid succession on a platform by just hitting down and then c stick down quickly. Its not terribly useful because the key doesn't seem to reach as far as it did for some reason. The move is almost just as good shorthopped.

Dizzynecro

Smash Journeyman
I am pretty sure i got super armor on up smash versus my freind, and we both noticed that it happened, but i think it is either on specific frames or there is some other factor that causes it.

Vortok

Smash Journeyman
Wario can kill himself off the top with a fully charged down B fart, sometimes just by doing it from the stage's height/shorthopped. It's annoying.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
I don't think this has been mentioned yet about nair, so I thought I'd point it out...

If you short hop nair with the right timing, the nair will auto-cancel (end before you land) so you can use it without lag. It's very nice. I've been trying something where i SH and nair toward them, then move back out.

Needle of Juntah

Smash Champion
i got another tournament on saturday. pray that i win :)
hopefully i can get some more vids out. its crazy i never had any melle vids out. and i got brawl vids out before brawl was out LOL

JohnLoBo

Smash Apprentice
Thanks a lot for this! I've been playing more and more game and watch lately. I found this very useful.

omegablackmage

Certified Lion Rider
turns out you can bucket waddle dee's (sp?) beam attack from ddd's side b. one of the weaker things to bucket, but still nice since ddd players enjoy spamming those little guys.

oh and side note, neutral air = sweet combos, you should use it more

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
By the way, it seems like people are now saying that there IS super armor on G&W's up smash over on the tactical discussion boards. Can you double-check this?

omegablackmage

Certified Lion Rider
yeah i suppose i could, i'll give it a whack right now

edit: i don't i think people are confusing it for clanking or something i just did a buch of tests with marth's forward smash and neutral a swipe and i couldn't find them. if they do exist, there musnt be very many of them.

Elbow

Smash Apprentice
I hope not. I don't want GaW to be the Marth/Sheik of Brawl.
I wish against this as well. I don't want to feel like I'm using a cheap character. I was a unique, fun character, and that is what G&W is. That's the reason I stay away from MetaKnight, Pit, and Marth. I like that G&W has a following, but if everyone played him, I would be mainly turned off.

CyberGlitch

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for all your work here so far! I loved playing G&W in Melee and he ***** in Brawl.

I have yet to see anyone else play as him but me in my experiences with several groups of friends, for those worrying that he'll be overplayed. I have seen an overabundance of Pit players, who's camping can easily be countered by G&W, so it's great to have him as a main.

There are a few things you may want to mention in your guide. A little "pros and cons" section would be useful for those unaccustomed to him. Example pros include a surprisingly fast ground speed, his long range-long lasting attacks-high priority attack, excellent verticle recovery, and ability to attack after his Up B.
Cons could include his still light body weight (I believe he's tied with Jigglypuff for second lightest, is this right?) , his fairly predictable recovery (though the new Up B mechanics have vastly improved on it), and his lag for particular moves (such as his forward air).

I dunno, do whatever works I suppose. Another thing people overlook is his unreasonably low duck. He can avoid a number of attacks this way.

Lag

Smash Journeyman
can anyone tell me if there is a quick way to cancel his jab once you get it going?
That's actually a good question. I was playing a heated battle with my friend who was playing Fox and me as Game and Watch. He was at 0% and I was at 96%(?), so why not Jab to rack up some damage? I do this for an easy 22ish% damage. I try to Jab him again but he rolls behind me. I was still stuck in the Jabbing animation for a good 1.5 second and that gave him enough time to Up-Smash me.

To answer your question...I think letting go of A works but it doesn't stop it immediately. Your looking at a 1.5ish second delay. But that's my thought.

Will shielding work? I have yet to test this...or someone else can do it. Lol.

Lag

Smash Journeyman
Inspired by the thread: I'd like to see what the bucket can do.

Why not put a list of things you can absorb and cannot?

omegablackmage

Certified Lion Rider
there is a list of things, even the percents and knockback potential each full bucket will do.

the jab is canceled best by ducking, pressing b, or pressing a jump button. sheilding and just releasing a take the longest time

scrubadub

Smash Rookie
I played a lot of G&W today. I could've sworn I saw superarmor on the UpSmash. There is a click sound, then right after that he's got superarmor. Either that or the smash outprioritizes A LOT of air attacks. In fact, I randomly threw it out as someone was doing an attack from ledgegrab. Normally characters have a lot of priority during those attacks and it would've knocked me out of the smash, but I took the hit then smashed him to death. The best way to test this out is the going into training mode and use slow motion to see which frames exactly have superarmor. I'm guessing it's right after the click sound. It's also the same click sound you hear for Wario's F-Smash (also has super armor). G&W is looking really good. With all these funky properties to his attacks, he could make top tier.

NorrYtt

Smash Cadet
I played G&W in melee as one of my better chars after Peach. In this game he just seems way better because of his air game. Nair and Bair multihit, and you can attack out of UpB! PLUS, the game sorta helps you rapidA to interrupt and get them in the air. When he's doing the pumps, I let go of A and jam the C-stick forward and FSmash usually hits them (I don't fight skilled humans, though). FSmash is my preferred kill move.

So, it seems like lots of his movelist goes towards a nice air juggle game about a full jump off the ground, and finish with Fair or FSmash.

Top Bottom