• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Omaha Weekly Smashfests!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Burn

Smash Lord
OMG i am so happy somone in the smash community agrees with me... rocky balboa will be the greatest of all time, that is what i have been telling *****es for months.... i can even express in words how great it is going to be....

ThE_BaTmAn

Smash Lord
omg dyc how could you disapoint me like this...Rocky sucks so bad. I guess he is gonna beat a real champion at 60 fuking years old or some ****. GTFO ROCKY BLOWS

Sir Roy

Smash Journeyman
Well, I'll start taking requests for what personal possesions Leon owns in his will, cause DYC and Murn are going to ****ing kill him.

For Starters, GIVE ME YOUR CELL PHONE. :p

Big Burn

Smash Lord
lol antionio tarver or whatever his name is, looks like a little ***** whipped ***** compared to sly...it will be no contest, rocky in 2 rounds

DYC

Smash Champion
Antonio Tarver's character has quite possibly the greatest name ever.

Mason "The Line" Dixon.

bwahahahaha.

Also you gentlemen know that Rambo IV is coming out in 2008 yes?

Echo

Smash Champion
they should make a Metroid movie... that'd be pretty tight.

and Prof - We just got together on Wednesday, you shoulda came :p Don't know when the next get together will be... might be something around New Years but we dont know yet... and we always get together the night before the tourney... so you could atleast plan for that one.

ThE_BaTmAn

Smash Lord
dude *** that there needs to be a ***** metal gear solid movie. and another rambo movie pfft what he gonna be blowning folks up from his wheelchair. GTFO. while where at it lets do another terminator huh how bout that. wait no that be just as gay

FaceLoran

Smash Champion
lol I saw that gimmick name, that's so ********.

Antonio Tarver is an ATHLETE. Rocky is an old, slow, white dude WAY past his god**** prime. He wouldnt last 3 rounds if this was even semi-realistic lol...

SM3EsH

Smash Ace
that'd be tight, but like, i gotta go bowl in a hour'n half and i'll get done about 9 tonight. idk would you wanna smursh sometime around that?

cue

Smash Journeyman
wtf bowl? your gay , but yeah maybe just call me i'm not sure what i'll be doing by then

i'll *** on your face

Big Burn

Smash Lord
i have to work tonight 7-2 in the morning... it should be packed tonight though... which is good... i can smeash on sunday though... anyone?

FaceLoran

Smash Champion
I gamed it with Devon for like 6 hours the other night. He's quaking in fear of my Link skills that I'm gonna unleash on him at the next low tier tourney.

Big Burn

Smash Lord
To all those ripping on Rocky

I am bored and feel like telling all of you exactly why Rocky Balboa will at least be at least decent movie, if not a great movie. All of you Rocky detractors bring up the same point over and over again, the fact that Sly is 60 years old and that he could never contend with the heavy weight champion of the world. Well I don't even care that much about the realism aspect of the movie, I am more concerned with the emotional investment that I have in the character. However I will try to make the best case for a 60 year old white man going toe to toe with Mason "the" Line Dixon. Mo you brought up the fact that Antonio Tarver is a real athlete. Ok yes this is true. However that doesn't change the fact that the character he plays in the movie is physically FAR less intimating than any other character that Rocky has fought in the ring. Aside from Spiderico or any other meat bag he knocked out in the beginning of Rocky 3. Also have you seen how large Sly is? He is freaking massive. Also with the fact that Antonio Tarver being a real pugilist has brought a level of realism that the Rocky franchise has yet to achieve to this day. With Antonio Tarver playing the part comes with ability to actually box, and from what I hear, it has made this fight the most realistic one to date. Other actors that maybe wanted to try something in the boxing matches, they couldn’t quite make it as fluid as a real boxer could. In recent interviews with Sly, he has mentioned that for anyone that is looking for realism, this rocky is by far the most realistic of them all. In fact for a large portion of the fight they are actually punching each other in the face. None of the 5 inches away blended with camera trick type camera work. Not to mention, Sly doesn't look 60 to me, I would say he could pass for 50 if you didn't know any better. And may I remind you that George Forman won the title when he was 44 and looked about as old as the character Rocky does right now. Also if you didn't know the entire series was inspired by the famous Chuck Wepner vs. Muhammad Ali fight, Chuck Wepner was a huge fat **** that just got repeatedly punched in the face and no one thought he would last 3 rounds. However he lasted 15 rounds against the greatest fighter of all time and even managed to knock him down. So many things that are related to this subject that wouldn't at first seem like a realistic scenarios, have happened before. And yes I admit that the fights from Rocky 3 and Rocky 4 are rather ridiculous and not realistic. Yes he does use his face as to block punches. But those are the weaker ones of the series. Even though if you ask any random moron what the best Rocky is, I will ****ing guarantee that he will say "The 4th one with the Russian", I can't exactly figure this phenomena out, other than the 4th installment is the most testosterone/alpha male driven film of the series. I personally don't really care for the political subtext the movie offers in regards to the cold war, but whatever. Anyways any real Rocky fan or movie fan for that matter should know that the first Rocky is the best by far, and no Rocky movie will ever be better. I mean it did receive 10 academy award nominations and won 3, including best picture, if you find any merit from the academy awards. However, from what I hear this movie strips Rocky down to his core, and pays tribute to the original. This last Rocky is less about boxing and more about an underdog taking a shot in the twilight of his career. I mean you got to give respect to Sly man. Lots of people would just feel like withering up and dying at this point in their lives, but Sly worked his ****ing *** off to put some much needed closure for the Rocky franchise. It is kind of funny because whenever he pitched this script to the studio heads, he received more resistance pitching this movie idea because of his age, than he did when he pitched the first Rocky in 1976 for wanting to play the part as a unknown actor. Well it seems to me the 3rd-5th Rocky films were monetarily motivated, but this last installment of the series seems to me that it is more of a character driven story, like the first one. In the end if you are thinking about going to a movie this week, I would hope that you strongly consider Rocky Balboa, and give it a chance. I mean hell who wants to waste there ****ing time with Ben Stiller playing one of the only two types of below mediocre comedic characters that he can play for the millionth time. Because I sure as hell don't.

FaceLoran

Smash Champion
lol nice argument Murn, I loved it. All I can say is, if you're looking for a great underdog story, yes Rocky I is a very good movie, widely considered one of the best sports movies ever. Ring action in all the movies is unrealistic, which is why more casual moviewatchers who aren't looking for that sort of stuff tend to like the movies better.

As far as being "intimidating" goes tho...a fast black athlete is a fearsome opponent in the ring. Speed > brute force in boxing.

DYC

Smash Champion
As true as that is Mo, Rocky's strength never lied in his power alone, but in his incredible cardio, chin, and heart. And if we are going by the movies he did develop a lot of boxing technique in the third movie from Apollo. When those things are combined they do create a rather intimidating individual. Now granted it's been a long time so I'm interested to see where they go with it.

Big Burn

Smash Lord
well from the trailer they pretty much indicate that rocky has lost a lot of his speed and during training his trainer wants to focus on brute strength....

only1Z

Smash Champion
If it turns out amazing, which it probably will, you should mail stallone and crew his owed 8 dollars!

DYC

Smash Champion
She should name him Rocky in honor of Stallone allowing him to be born so close to the release of his masterpiece.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom