• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Olimar Video Thread!(?)

Angbad

Smash Ace
NNID
Angbad
First game, not sure what to say. You played great, except for a few mistakes. You went for a running purple grab on your second stock when you had a white pikmin in tow. The shortened range hurt you and you got punished hard. You missed a grab follow up after a jab (on second stock) also. Both minor mistakes but that's what makes the difference in such high-level matches. Nothing you don't already know unfortunately. Just a few misses. :/

Second game, I have even less to say. Sheik spot dodged a grab on what had to be her first active frame, and that lost you the first stock. Other than that... um... needles are unfair? Sheik shouldn't be able to outcamp Olimar? .... Sorry. I got nothing.

--

Had me on the edge of my seat. Your pivot grab game is on point though! I suck at pivot grabs online. I can get them offline, but online, I only get pivot ftilts with the same input that works offline. I bow to you.

--

It's going to sound bad to say, but camp the hell out of Peach. I'm talking about short hops, pikmin toss, run away, and repeat. You played way more aggressive than I like in this match. Respect Peach because she will control the air in this match up. Force her to make a big mistake, and then capitalize.

You seemed to stay at fsmash range, which is great against most characters. But for Peach, she can approach with float over the fsmash at an angle that Olimar is terrible at covering. Olimar can smash in front and above him. Peach just comes in at a diagonal approach angle to Olimar and dairs with the kicks. You can't challenge her dairs, and she will just keep doing them to your shield. You have to respect that and run away.

In addition to a more defensive camp game, I'd suggest trying to anticipate her landings with pivot fsmash and pivot grabs. Pay attention to how long she's been floating. She can't stay up there forever. Also, I'd favor pivot fsmash in this match because you probably have a better chance to hit her coming down from a float because the grab hitbox is literally on the ground.

Also, be careful for trying to spike her. Only do it when she's going for her double jump or if you have a hard read. If she's close enough to the ledge her up-B parasol will beat your dair in priority and set you up for some bad positions, potentially offstage. Basically, I think a good anti-Peach strategy is to run away and build damage and then try to get a landing with a blue grab/up throw or a smash read to punish.

Thanks for taking a stab at it. Yeah the jab jab grab follow up is very inconsistent for me against ZeRo, K9, and Vinnie. Next time I play K9 I'm going to go for it and he's going to spotdodge so I'm going to wait and upsmash.

Seleir

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Yoshigold
3DS FC
2707-1692-7697
Switch FC
2632-8168-1029
@ F Freezie KO Ty so much i` m just so good at pivot and vs yoshi i need do a lot cause of his stressing game.
I need play like a wall, if yoshi enter i` m finish ( like the second stock)

Freezie KO

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for taking a stab at it. Yeah the jab jab grab follow up is very inconsistent for me against ZeRo, K9, and Vinnie. Next time I play K9 I'm going to go for it and he's going to spotdodge so I'm going to wait and upsmash.
Yeah, it's a good idea to mix it up. Playing at such a high level against the best players using the best characters, you're going to end up using a lot of conditioning to win matches. Your Olimar tech is on point. It's just those small errors like in the first match that make the difference. You also did a great job not getting distracted by Memeverse!

(and you did land a siiiiick purple spike in the second match, second stock against Sheik. so you still weren't far off from winning that one.)

-

@ F Freezie KO Ty so much i` m just so good at pivot and vs yoshi i need do a lot cause of his stressing game.
I need play like a wall, if yoshi enter i` m finish ( like the second stock)
For sure. I feel like Yoshi jumps a tier when playing online also. We definitely need pivots to beat that character or we're toast.

Last edited:

Angbad

Smash Ace
NNID
Angbad
Yeah, it's a good idea to mix it up. Playing at such a high level against the best players using the best characters, you're going to end up using a lot of conditioning to win matches. Your Olimar tech is on point. It's just those small errors like in the first match that make the difference. You also did a great job not getting distracted by Memeverse!

-

For sure. I feel like Yoshi jumps a tier when playing online also. We definitely need pivots to beat that character or we're toast.
Can you guys watch this one too? It's from the week before.

I do better in this set but make a dumb stage move.

https://youtu.be/aEKlaWta1xQ?t=11570

Game one is great :)

Edit: Dang I'm really proud of that game 1.

Wish my set I won vs vinnie was recorded

Last edited:

Freezie KO

Smash Journeyman

You just wanted to show off that game 1. :p Nice footstool to dair combo.

For Game 2, I feel like the definitive sequence of this game was an extended state of disadvantage that Sheik had you in until you lose your first stock. This starts at 3:18:01 when you miss a short purple grab and get punished. You're in disadvantage for a good 30-35 seconds. #OlimarProblems

As Olimar players, we know the disadvantage state is our biggest weakness. I'd just look at this and try to optimize your decisions. Like at 3:18:13, you opt to dip low instead of going for the higher platform that's much closer to you on Smashville. Going low gave Sheik a free hit on your slow vulnerable recovery because you can't attack under the stage or you go into freefall. Going high to the platform at least gives you the option to throw an attack. Even though you tech, you remain in disadvantage.

You get a nice purple throw to knock Sheik off for a second, but when you roll on stage, she hits you again and you're still in disadvantage. I'm not sure of the frames, but maybe you could've stood up from the ledge and activated shield. Then you wouldn't have got hit with the fair, and you were in no danger of getting grabbed.

Then when on the right side of the stage, still in disadvantage, you threw your only pikmin onto Sheik, which may have been a good distraction, but unfortunately, that didn't work and you stayed in disadvantage without a pikmin. You then went to the platform, which is a good idea in theory, but it might have left you with less options to run away than if you had tried to land on stage with a single pikmin. Or maybe not. But either way, this sequence prevented you from doing anything with your brief stock lead. Probably worth looking at.

Then on your second stock, you go for another purple grab, which started that whole sequence I broke down, and you get punished again. I also mentioned that you missed a purple grab in my comment about your other video before you posted this one. I'd be very careful with that. I feel like you might be misjudging how long you actually have in grab range.

Game 3... well... you got hurt by the flat counterpick with nowhere to land. The first stock you got put into Olimar disadvantage, and he played the punish and edgeguard really well. Once you got stuck in disadvantage, you just didn't have the tools to reattain neutral. And your second stock the needles harassed you without platforms to retreat to. Not much to say.

Last edited:

Angbad

Smash Ace
NNID
Angbad
You just wanted to show off that game 1. :p Nice footstool to dair combo.

For Game 2, I feel like the definitive sequence of this game was an extended state of disadvantage that Sheik had you in until you lose your first stock. This starts at 3:18:01 when you miss a short purple grab and get punished. You're in disadvantage for a good 30-35 seconds. #OlimarProblems

As Olimar players, we know the disadvantage state is our biggest weakness. I'd just look at this and try to optimize your decisions. Like at 3:18:13, you opt to dip low instead of going for the higher platform that's much closer to you on Smashville. Going low gave Sheik a free hit on your slow vulnerable recovery because you can't attack under the stage or you go into freefall. Going high to the platform at least gives you the option to throw an attack. Even though you tech, you remain in disadvantage.

You get a nice purple throw to knock Sheik off for a second, but when you roll on stage, she hits you again and you're still in disadvantage. I'm not sure of the frames, but maybe you could've stood up from the ledge and activated shield. Then you wouldn't have got hit with the fair, and you were in no danger of getting grabbed.

Then when on the right side of the stage, still in disadvantage, you threw your only pikmin onto Sheik, which may have been a good distraction, but unfortunately, that didn't work and you stayed in disadvantage without a pikmin. You then went to the platform, which is a good idea in theory, but it might have left you with less options to run away than if you had tried to land on stage with a single pikmin. Or maybe not. But either way, this sequence prevented you from doing anything with your brief stock lead. Probably worth looking at.

Then on your second stock, you go for another purple grab, which started that whole sequence I broke down, and you get punished again. I also mentioned that you missed a purple grab in my comment about your other video before you posted this one. I'd be very careful with that. I feel like you might be misjudging how long you actually have in grab range.

Game 3... well... you got hurt by the flat counterpick with nowhere to land. The first stock you got put into Olimar disadvantage, and he played the punish and edgeguard really well. Once you got stuck in disadvantage, you just didn't have the tools to reattain neutral. And your second stock the needles harassed you without platforms to retreat to. Not much to say.

Yeah I was watching these 2 sets again and you're right, everytime I grabbed with a purple i got into a super bad spot. i really have to think hard about that one thanks.

And yeah my biggest issue in this game is getting back on stage :3

Freezie KO

Smash Journeyman
Yeah I was watching these 2 sets again and you're right, everytime I grabbed with a purple i got into a super bad spot. i really have to think hard about that one thanks.

And yeah my biggest issue in this game is getting back on stage :3
No prob. As for landing on stage... we're Olimar players... that's all of our biggest problems. When in neutral or advantage, Olimar is top tier. When in a disadvantage state, we're floaty and have bottom tier aerial mobility. This is the plight of our little spaceman.

Night!

koken

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kokenz

Congratulations about that game 1 was stunning and had a lot of nice moves and reads, I will learn from it.

@ F Freezie KO you are amazing man, thank you for your time, comments, advices and critiques.

Angbad

Smash Ace
NNID
Angbad
Congratulations about that game 1 was stunning and had a lot of nice moves and reads, I will learn from it.

@ F Freezie KO you are amazing man, thank you for your time, comments, advices and critiques.
Thanks, I think there's a lot of good stuff in that other K9 set I posted, but i did make a few mistakes in both sets.

Mr Moosebones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Moosebones
Hmm what sheiks are different? I play Mr R, Vinnie, and ZeRo and they all play pretty similar tothis
I play vs Yoh a lot (best Sheik in Canada, #2 on the Ontario PR) and he spends 90% of his time in the air. I think a lot of the other Sheiks in our region try to copy his style though so that's probably causing a bias.

koken

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kokenz
I play vs Yoh a lot (best Sheik in Canada, #2 on the Ontario PR) and he spends 90% of his time in the air. I think a lot of the other Sheiks in our region try to copy his style though so that's probably causing a bias.
Here in my city or even maybe my country, the Sheik players plays the same. Almost 80% of the time in the air.

Angbad

Smash Ace
NNID
Angbad

Hmm I don't know. I know the sheiks I play are some of the best if not the best in the world though. Isn't it harder for a sheik in the air to get needles in?

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
All the sheiks I play spam empty hop lol its annoying to deal with. The last time I played Mr r in friendlies at Evo I won 2/3.
I played him in person at CEO, we did a best of 5 and I 3-0'd him. Then I played him in tournament, and he made some fine adjustments to beat me. I also played Zero in some friendlies at CEO. He won the first best of 3, and I took the 2nd. Even 2 stocking his Sheik one game. It's weird, they're the best Sheik players, but they still seem so unrefined when I fought them. Have you played Nietono at all?

Angbad

Smash Ace
NNID
Angbad
I played him in person at CEO, we did a best of 5 and I 3-0'd him. Then I played him in tournament, and he made some fine adjustments to beat me. I also played Zero in some friendlies at CEO. He won the first best of 3, and I took the 2nd. Even 2 stocking his Sheik one game. It's weird, they're the best Sheik players, but they still seem so unrefined when I fought them. Have you played Nietono at all?
I think it's just that the mu is incredibly volatile. I also think k9 is the best Sheik in the world against olimar because he's played me and rich brown in bracket literally around 60 or 70 times. I'd rather fight Vinnie Mr r or zero than k9 most of the time.

I asked nietono for a money match at Evo but I think he was too depressed after bracket lol.

Mr Moosebones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Moosebones
Yeah I'd second the mu being super voliatile. I find Oli has a few mu's like that: Luigi, Falcon, DK come to mind. Whoever is in control is REALLY in control in those MU's, but even then, once you or your opponent capitalize on a single mistake it can mean a stock incredibly quickly.

I really like Olimar/DK. Regardless of who is winning or losing at any point in the match it's essentially even.

Blue Banana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
2ndDerivative
3DS FC
4038-6328-0283
I really like Olimar/DK. Regardless of who is winning or losing at any point in the match it's essentially even.
Can you elaborate on this matchup? I don't know much about this matchup since I really only played against a DK in a tourney once over a few months ago.

Mr Moosebones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Moosebones
DK has incredible juggling potential and your whistle game has to be on point otherwise he has a million options to beat you offstage. Basically once you're in the air you have to substantially outplay your opponent or wait for them to screw up just to make it back to the ground.

But DK is super combo food and you can easily switch between camp and aggression to rack up tons of damage on him in neutral/grounded combat.

Also, you both have super linear recoveries and easy-to-land spikes, so that's a gamechanger.

Angbad

Smash Ace
NNID
Angbad
http://www.twitch.tv/fadgames/v/9978209

1:27:08 Me vs KY ( Yoshi ) Need major help on this mu

2:03:50 Me vs Vinnie ( Sheik ) UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH awful embarrassing

2:16:15 Me vs Rich Brown (Olimar) UGHHHHHHHHHH

2:42:30 Me vs S2H ( Metaknight ) this mu is impossible

2:58:15 Me vs K9 ( Sheik ) very sad about this one. please watch. Game 4 i lose a stock to a whiffed grab because pikmin didn't cooperate. Game 1 I missed 2 grab follow ups that were crucial.

GOT LOTS OF GAMES ON STREAM TODAY YAY

http://challonge.com/fadsummer_singles10

Last edited:

Mr Moosebones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Moosebones
I'm kind of happy so many people are picking up metaknight because feel like bjr does really well against him. The Olimar/MK mu is tough though.

Last edited:

koken

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kokenz
Some feedback please. JS XIX - AlmostLegendary (Rosalina, Olimar) vs. V…: https://youtu.be/Q0D5XHJcwDo
I'm not quite sure if you were here before but welcome :D, and I saw your match and don't think you need too much help at all... you know what to do, but as you ask; here are my thoughts in general:

Vs Marth :4marth:
  • Try to latch a Pikmin on your enemy whenever you can. Most of the time you had 3 pikmin with you and a long distance between you and your enemy, losing time for your pikmin to hit latched.
  • Try to position yourself better in order to react accordingly to the situation, like a pivot smash/grab.
  • Try to put more pressure on his recovery, you are way too far and he can recover without worrying at all. I know that Marth's Up B hurts but you can shield and react to the next move.
  • Try to move more, kind of putting your enemy nervous because of your moves or something like that. That's something @ Myran Myran says and I'm agree with him.
  • Nice Dair when you are landing and Marth is waiting for you, good.
Vs Roy :4feroy:
  • Try to avoid hitting with a white pikmin, except when you are going to keep hitting with another one. You can side B your white pikmin and then Fair with your next pikmin. Needs to be fast and has good reactions if your enemy do something weird.
  • Good Fsmash x 2, you caught his approach with the 2nd one.
  • You improved your edge guard against Roy, putting some pressure and conditioning his stand up, nice.
  • I'm not sure if you relax a little in the 2nd stock or what, but your game changed and you get punished by that.
Don't take this as a critique because I think you played well :).

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
I'm not quite sure if you were here before but welcome :D, and I saw your match and don't think you need too much help at all... you know what to do, but as you ask; here are my thoughts in general:

Vs Marth :4marth:
  • Try to latch a Pikmin on your enemy whenever you can. Most of the time you had 3 pikmin with you and a long distance between you and your enemy, losing time for your pikmin to hit latched.
  • Try to position yourself better in order to react accordingly to the situation, like a pivot smash/grab.
  • Try to put more pressure on his recovery, you are way too far and he can recover without worrying at all. I know that Marth's Up B hurts but you can shield and react to the next move.
  • Try to move more, kind of putting your enemy nervous because of your moves or something like that. That's something @ Myran Myran says and I'm agree with him.
  • Nice Dair when you are landing and Marth is waiting for you, good.
Vs Roy :4feroy:
  • Try to avoid hitting with a white pikmin, except when you are going to keep hitting with another one. You can side B your white pikmin and then Fair with your next pikmin. Needs to be fast and has good reactions if your enemy do something weird.
  • Good Fsmash x 2, you caught his approach with the 2nd one.
  • You improved your edge guard against Roy, putting some pressure and conditioning his stand up, nice.
  • I'm not sure if you relax a little in the 2nd stock or what, but your game changed and you get punished by that.
Don't take this as a critique because I think you played well :).
Thanks for the response. I think I may have posted here one other time. Otherwise I lurk and just read the discussion.

You were missing a lot of free damage and follow ups. You could have also been using side b way more, but in general not a bad olimar. Just need to play him more.
Yeah , I haven't played Olimar for a while before this. I don't really have too much faith when it comes to my secondaries. Thanks for the response.

Angbad

Smash Ace
NNID
Angbad
Thanks for the response. I think I may have posted here one other time. Otherwise I lurk and just read the discussion.

Yeah , I haven't played Olimar for a while before this. I don't really have too much faith when it comes to my secondaries. Thanks for the response.

Yeah I see you main Rosa, there are a few mu's i could see olimar being better for you than rosa. You seem like a pretty good player just need way more hours in olimar.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Yeah I see you main Rosa, there are a few mu's i could see olimar being better for you than rosa. You seem like a pretty good player just need way more hours in olimar.
Yeah I definitely been neglecting my Olimar. Guess I need to put the work in. Thanks fir the feedback.

Angbad

Smash Ace
NNID
Angbad

2:58:15 Me vs K9 ( Sheik ) very sad about this one. please watch. Game 4 i lose a stock to a whiffed grab because pikmin didn't cooperate. Game 1 I missed 2 grab follow ups that were crucial.

BUMP I'm bored someone give me advice/critiques on these haha I have a big tourney tomorrow.

-The Gucci Fairy-

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Risingthunder55
BUMP I'm bored someone give me advice/critiques on these haha I have a big tourney tomorrow.
Prolly late af for olimar, but vs s2H mixing up your recovery (IE recovery high to mixup besides recovering low) would be suggested as I feel like u always recovered low, just little things. Also when u used the roll ledge option, ppl tend to expect a roll the way he was spaced and you were prolly to caught up in the moment too notice he was about to read that, maybe I've gotten hit from it myself that i noticed a trend with ppl looking for that roll getup option for a kill. Also its best for u to throw pikmin so mk is force to approach and respond with pivot grabs and pivot fmashes, i mean i know thats a given obvious that may have been overlooked, due to the spur of the moment, but doing pivot grab in general has less endlag and generally safer and u can act out of it faster than regular and dash grab and sometimes it just takes a reminder for ppl to remember that. Also try to be very sparing with dash grabs , alotta risk as much as a reward u can get when i play vs people thats like the opening they want to get in.

Last edited:

Angbad

Smash Ace
NNID
Angbad
Prolly late af for olimar, but vs s2H mixing up your recovery (IE recovery high to mixup besides recovering low) would be suggested as I feel like u always recovered low, just little things. Also when u used the roll ledge option, ppl tend to expect a roll the way he was spaced and you were prolly to caught up in the moment too notice he was about to read that, maybe I've gotten hit from it myself that i noticed a trend with ppl looking for that roll getup option for a kill. Also its best for u to throw pikmin so mk is force to approach and respond with pivot grabs and pivot fmashes, i mean i know thats a given obvious that may have been overlooked, due to the spur of the moment, but doing pivot grab in general has less endlag and generally safer and u can act out of it faster than regular and dash grab and sometimes it just takes a reminder for ppl to remember that. Also try to be very sparing with dash grabs , alotta risk as much as a reward u can get when i play vs people thats like the opening they want to get in.

Yeah you're right about the recovery stuff, it's one of my biggest weak points as a player i'm finding.

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008

Alright so for Yoshi you pivot grabbed a total of 4 times within 3 games. That's way less than you should be doing for a Yoshi who's constantly approaching you with aerials into the ground. If the Yoshi decides to egg camp you do it back, but better and with purples. Also I'd recommend using dsmash more when you catch him on the ground.

Only had time to watch 2 sets, the Yoshi and MK one. MK isn't impossible. Just gotta maintain the perfect wall.

koken

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kokenz
I believe we don't have many videos against Pikachu, here are some. Both are online so the skills are different than offline.
I know players like Esam tends to be more aggressive and put pressure on you, this wasn't the exception but in these videos doesn't seem clearly the pressure he put on me.

Vs Pikachu :4pikachu: (it was a honorable fight)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txRigmkuovQ
Vs Pikachu :4pikachu: (I'm very static on this one and Pikachu commited suicide at 2nd stock)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Al2JODUi3cw

Kaboom_

Smash Rookie
NNID
GoKaboom
3DS FC
3926-5807-0971
Managed to get on stream at smash con, looking for some feedback for my match-

http://www.twitch.tv/vgbootcamp/v/10026067?t=150m20s

Game 1 I was pretty comfortable then the nerves started getting to me and I choked the other games away.

Any tips on improving my game? I know I run up and shield and just approach too much in general. Trying to work on patience and my footsies/neutral.

Angbad

Smash Ace
NNID
Angbad
Managed to get on stream at smash con, looking for some feedback for my match-

http://www.twitch.tv/vgbootcamp/v/10026067?t=150m20s

Game 1 I was pretty comfortable then the nerves started getting to me and I choked the other games away.

Any tips on improving my game? I know I run up and shield and just approach too much in general. Trying to work on patience and my footsies/neutral.
I just finished game one, but you were way too aggressive you're right. You had a huge lead at the start and you started running in up airing for no reason. All you had to do was throw pikmin. Watching the next game now.

Game 2 your dash attacks really screwed you over. You died pretty early both stocks.

Game 3 I noticed your pikmin management was very suboptimal. a lot of whiffed dsmashes.

Last edited:
Top Bottom