• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Olimar Video Thread!(?)

koken

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kokenz
Played a few matches on For glory, I will probably upload the rest tomorrow but I have one uploaded: https://youtu.be/BK9r8KRMRFE
Please give me tips on improving ^^
Cool you are on your way.

Well, there is not too much to say because the levels seems to be mostly even but:
  • Remember that a confirmed KO is an Uthrow with a Blue Pikmin over 130% on mostly everyone (will depend, obviously).
  • You do Dthrow to Nair, you can benefit more from a combo string with: Dthrow to Fair, Run for grab and Dthrow to Fair again if it's possible.
  • Another option is: Dthrow to Fair, Dtilt, Grab to Dthrow to Fair and Fsmash if it's possible.
  • When Yoshi started to walling you, remember you can approach by running and (without releasing the stick) press shield, so you can, if timing precisely, get a perfect shield and keep getting closer.
  • Furthermore you can do a double jump to side b, so your pikmin will travel further and latch to him.
  • If that footstool was intentionally, good work ;).

Also remember that Pivot smash and pivot grab are excellent maneuvers.

Slashster

Smash Rookie

Well, there is not too much to say because the levels seems to be mostly even but:
  • Remember that a confirmed KO is an Uthrow with a Blue Pikmin over 130% on mostly everyone (will depend, obviously).
  • You do Dthrow to Nair, you can benefit more from a combo string with: Dthrow to Fair, Run for grab and Dthrow to Fair again if it's possible.
  • Another option is: Dthrow to Fair, Dtilt, Grab to Dthrow to Fair and Fsmash if it's possible.
  • When Yoshi started to walling you, remember you can approach by running and (without releasing the stick) press shield, so you can, if timing precisely, get a perfect shield and keep getting closer.
  • Furthermore you can do a double jump to side b, so your pikmin will travel further and latch to him.

Thanks! Pivots are quite a pain for me to pull of at this moment in time, because I use gamepad personally and it's pretty busted. It has a slight delay before registering as being in the neutral position and such. I will for sure try the other options out of throws though! And yes, that footstool was intentional, :p

Angbad

Smash Ace
NNID
Angbad

it's actually down throw fair jab jab regrab up throw up air up air is the most optimal low percent grab. Guaranteed with Red yellow line up off grab.

Last edited:

-The Gucci Fairy-

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Risingthunder55
Anyone mind critiquing my match vs this diddy (fliphop, #3 ranked on PR for my city)? other than the obvious stop panic rolling/airdoding today just wasnt the best day lol. http://www.twitch.tv/uhsmash/v/20597488 5:52-15:38
Didn't really have an answer to his side B pressure which consequently made it so that I was ignoring the obvious and ignoring the banana at some crucial times. One thing I did notice is when my pikmin would grab the banana and trip me when I wasn't paying attention.

(Also streamers were terrible so its best to keep the audio off)

Last edited:

koken

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kokenz
it's actually down throw fair jab jab regrab up throw up air up air is the most optimal low percent grab. Guaranteed with Red yellow line up off grab.
You're right, thank you.

Dthrow into jump canceled up smash is also amazing.
Right too, thanks.

Anyone mind critiquing my match vs this diddy (fliphop, #3 ranked on PR for my city)? other than the obvious stop panic rolling/airdoding today just wasnt the best day lol. http://www.twitch.tv/uhsmash/v/20597488 5:52-15:38
Didn't really have an answer to his side B pressure which consequently made it so that I was ignoring the obvious and ignoring the banana at some crucial times. One thing I did notice is when my pikmin would grab the banana and trip me when I wasn't paying attention.

Great, a difficult MU (imo) and that Diddy plays similar to top #10 ranked in Chile's Diddy.
This are not things you can improve, this are things that I noticed we both (or maybe just me) do wrong.
  • Staying too much time with shield, is a bad idea.
  • Landing trying to be safe. I found out there is a better way to do this by whistling. Even when you don't succeed at the super armor frame, it will by repeating it.
  • Also you can B-Reversal to avoid some near hits at landing. I saw you doing it and it worked, good job.
  • Rolling is a habit we have, but with this match is veeeery risky. Diddy and Sheik can mess our grab easily and effortless.
  • Instead of rolling away from Diddy when is landing, try to pivot grab. Works a lot for me and has less lag than normal grab. Also it helps you to keep distance.
  • We forgot to side b more often because we are more worry of not getting hit. Try to trust a little bit more on your Pikmin.
  • Also it is a good way to screw Diddy's game by keeping up the banana.
  • Best way to fight against Side B's Diddy is to spotdodge if you aren't sure if it's gonna grab or hit.
  • After a good Purple toss, approach a little bit to punish the decision of shield or anything else your enemy will do. Sometimes works sometimes don't.
As you can see here in this video I don't do a lot of the things I said above, I made tons of mistakes. That's because these are things I realized a few days ago. In the video almost all the damage Diddy had it's from side B pikmins instead of hitting directly.

Angbad

Smash Ace
NNID
Angbad

mmm

stop down smashing so much, abuse fsmash instead

keep track of the banana at all times

pivots destroy side b. there were so many times I would have punished his side b with pivot fsmash and he'd either stop doing it or he'd lose because of it. Side b in neutral is not something that you should get hit with more than once or twice.

You weren't really reading him at all, you were just sticking to your game plan and kind of ignoring his habits lol. This works fine on top tiers like sonic or sheik, but olimar must play very reactive to do well at a high level.

Slashster

Smash Rookie
Sorry about the quality on this one. Twas longer than 3 mins so I had to compensate due to not having a way to properly record..

koken

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kokenz
Sorry about the quality on this one. Twas longer than 3 mins so I had to compensate due to not having a way to properly record..
Seemed lagged at the beginning. Was this match online?

Well, here is it.

The first half of the match:
  • Very slow or quiet, kind of fear or maybe waiting too much for your opponent, this is not bad but be a little more active.
  • Landing near to Megaman and making easier to get punished, bad.
  • Looking too much for Fair, bad.
  • Didn't see any side B or maybe 2 o 3, wasn't enough, bad.
  • Recovering with 3 pikmins it's almost always a suicide, bad.
  • Falling Dair (down air) is a risky move because it has plenty of lag, careful.

The rest of the match:
  • Your approaching was better and tried to adapt to the circumstances, good.
  • Stopped landing near Megaman and doing Fair, good.
  • Started to landing more safely, good.
  • Used more the stage and distance to calm down and think, good.
  • Started to use more side B, good.
  • Going for a gimp with 3 pikmins is very dangerous, careful.
  • At some point you started to landing with Fair, not good again if he is waiting for you.
  • Furthermore, you started to landing over Megaman without any move, he began to juggle you in the air. If you are under pressure, try to land on the edge.
  • Good mobility and keeping distance, good.

Keep up training and remember to train the pivot smash and pivot grab, they are so important :D.
Last but not least, try to perform some easy combos like Dthrow + Fair :).

Last edited:

Slashster

Smash Rookie
Seemed lagged at the beginning. Was this match online?

Well, here is it.

The first half of the match:
  • Very slow or quiet, kind of fear or maybe waiting too much for your opponent, this is not bad but be a little more active.
  • Landing near to Megaman and making easier to get punished, bad.
  • Looking too much for Fair, bad.
  • Didn't see any side B or maybe 2 o 3, wasn't enough, bad.
  • Recovering with 3 pikmins it's almost always a suicide, bad.
  • Falling Dair (down air) is a risky move because it has plenty of lag, careful.

The rest of the match:
  • Your approaching was better and tried to adapt to the circumstances, good.
  • Stopped landing near Megaman and doing Fair, good.
  • Started to landing more safely, good.
  • Used more the stage and distance to calm down and think, good.
  • Started to use more side B, good.
  • Going for a gimp with 3 pikmins is very dangerous, careful.
  • At some point you started to landing with Fair, not good again if he is waiting for you.
  • Furthermore, you started to landing over Megaman without any move, he began to juggle you in the air. If you are under pressure, try to land on the edge.
  • Good mobility and keeping distance, good.

Keep up training and remember to train the pivot smash and pivot grab, they are so important :D.
Last but not least, try to perform some easy combos like Dthrow + Fair :).
Yeah, there was a bit of lag at the start XD was playing online with a friend. I'm not to used to fighting megaman, but towards the end I think I started to get the general idea. I've started to use the Dthrow to Fair combo a bit and it's really nice =P gonna work on a few more things before I get into pivots though.

koken

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kokenz
Just want to share some sets of fights online, may be helpful for someone.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTfsFzwuwBM vs Diddy :4diddy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiTy4Nj83nY vs Villager #1 :4villager:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFGsaBdkvsw vs Villager #2 :4villager:

I ended up 2nd after a Sheik at the last tournament (again T_T ..). The tourney winner, earned tickets to travel and participate a "national" tournament here in Chile. But I couldn't make it u.u and I'm very sorry for my Olimar partners u.u.

I got to GF by Winner and Sheik by Looser, all was at my favor but I did an awful performance, really awful.
I saved the 6 fights so I seriously need alot of advices and commentaries on those. I will upload them asap.

Last edited:

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
Alright so they finally uploaded the top 8 matches from STR.

Here is my first set vs Saj https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MY6C0pLKJfM
Saj is the best peach in FL (Probably on east coast), and I believe he's beaten all the other Olimars in FL. This was my first time fighting him, but I believe I played well.

Here is my set vs 8bitman https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJhIzBsjgUQ
I lost to him in winners of top 64 earlier that day. This set was the best I'd done against him in awhile, but I find it difficult for me to consistently be able to keep up with power shields and all that against him.

koken

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kokenz

Saj is the best peach in FL (Probably on east coast), and I believe he's beaten all the other Olimars in FL. This was my first time fighting him, but I believe I played well.

I lost to him in winners of top 64 earlier that day. This set was the best I'd done against him in awhile, but I find it difficult for me to consistently be able to keep up with power shields and all that against him.
Wow man, I can't believe how far is your level now. Congratulations, seriously.
I was feeling like I was going to catch you up, but damn, I'm far away again xD.
Great matches, really stunning.
This motivated me to keep training hard >=D, thank you.

FreckIes

Smash Rookie

Awesome job :D this gave me a ton of motivation too! I've been following the vg tournies and ive also seen Logic play olimar but to see someone who i have learned alot from on this forum and to see you put it all in action was a boost of inspiration. Hope you attend more of these! :D

Last edited:

AmericanDJ

Marquess Ostia | Other Trap Butler ★
NNID
Derek123
3DS FC
1650-1984-4165
Switch FC
SW-7880-5897-7871
I guess I'll leave some of my matches here for people to critique.

Dj.D

Smash Apprentice
How did I do here? I had fun with this match even though I made some mistakes.

koken

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kokenz
I guess I'll leave some of my matches here for people to critique.
You need to use much more Side B. Don't always try to land on the stage, sometimes it will be safer if you grab to the ledge.
Be careful because you get punished so easily because of that.
If your going to gimp (mess up the recovery of your opponent) do it with less Pikmin, almost never with 3 of them in line.
You are too static, try to move yourself around more in order to make your enemy nervous.
Keep playing and practice but fundamental, use more side B.

You did well :). Nevertheless remember that you can kill with a blue Uthrow and also against Cap Falcon is more easily to gimp his recovery.

Dj.D

Smash Apprentice
You did well :). Nevertheless remember that you can kill with a blue Uthrow and also against Cap Falcon is more easily to gimp his recovery.
Thanks. I already knew about blue pikmin up throw being the ko throw and I always try to use that when it's time to ko my opponent.

Blue Banana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
2ndDerivative
3DS FC
4038-6328-0283

Keep in mind that because Falcon is a fast faller, he's susceptible to more Dthrow combos than other characters. You could have followed up Dthrow with Fsmash at one point in the match, but you whiffed the Fair because he wasn't at a high enough percent.

There were times in the match where it looked like you just ran into his attacks (jab, Fsmash) for no reason. It built up into a situation where you and you're opponent are one hit away from a KO.

Your response to his dash attacks is good. Just keep in mind that some players may approach with short hop Bairs or dash grabs to mess your ground control up; this player is going for knees too much and isn't indicative of how Falcon typically plays.

If you're knocked off stage, you need to be careful when you're recovering from below. Your opponent didn't do this aside from only one time, but he can spike you with fast fall Dair or stage spike you with Bair. You can tech the stage spike if you anticipate it, but it's hard to mix up your movement to avoid Dair because you're a bit slow.

Dj.D

Smash Apprentice
Keep in mind that because Falcon is a fast faller, he's susceptible to more Dthrow combos than other characters. You could have followed up Dthrow with Fsmash at one point in the match, but you whiffed the Fair because he wasn't at a high enough percent.

There were times in the match where it looked like you just ran into his attacks (jab, Fsmash) for no reason. It built up into a situation where you and you're opponent are one hit away from a KO.

Your response to his dash attacks is good. Just keep in mind that some players may approach with short hop Bairs or dash grabs to mess your ground control up; this player is going for knees too much and isn't indicative of how Falcon typically plays.

If you're knocked off stage, you need to be careful when you're recovering from below. Your opponent didn't do this aside from only one time, but he can spike you with fast fall Dair or stage spike you with Bair. You can tech the stage spike if you anticipate it, but it's hard to mix up your movement to avoid Dair because you're a bit slow.
I think I tried to grab a few times or forward smash when that player's jabs happened since I didn't expect them I think.

I know recovering low against a Captain Falcon is risky, (do they always have to try stage spiking?) but then what to do when you choose to recover high? Have a forward or up air ready?

Blue Banana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
2ndDerivative
3DS FC
4038-6328-0283
I know recovering low against a Captain Falcon is risky, (do they always have to try stage spiking?) but then what to do when you choose to recover high? Have a forward or up air ready?
Fast fall autocancelled Nair is usually what I do when recovering high, though opponents will catch on eventually and Nair doesn't trade well with other aerials. Fair or Uair doesn't make a lot of sense to use when your opponent is below you.

Some characters may not try to go offstage to catch you, but for Falcon there's not much risk to try to (stage)spike you if you're already committed to your recovery.

Blue Banana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
2ndDerivative
3DS FC
4038-6328-0283
http://www.twitch.tv/fadgames/v/25502640?t=66m0s

me vs VoiD. games 1 and 2 are great 3 and 4 i didn't really get a chance to do much. let me know if u see anything besides rolls.
Game 1
01:08:05 - I felt like that should have been an opportunity for a Usmash. Would Usmash be too slow in that situation?

Game 2
- VoiD caught you with Bouncing Fish twice, costing you your stocks. For the first stock, I think it's because he condition to airdodge in fear of Fair. Not sure what to say except to watch out for that. For the second stock, I'm not sure why you threw a Pikmin. Even if it did latch onto Sheik, she probably would still be far out enough to hit you, and the Pikmin would just extend the hitbox.
- A couple of times in this game, you threw all your Pikmin away, then you tried to do a smash when none of them are in your "line" yet. It's a little hard to keep track of where your Pikmin are on the stage, so it might be better to go for Ftilt or Dtilt if it's too ambiguous to tell if you have a Pikmin in line.

Game 3
- Right from the start, VoiD got a significant percent lead over you, and I think it's because you were forced to hang around the ledge for some time. You kind of let Sheik take control of center stage right from the word "Go!", and you got caught by Fair that put you right into a edgeguard situation and the subsequent "run up -> shield grab/fair or shield -> fair or turn around fair" combos. I know it's Sheik, but I think you should try to contest for center stage since Olimar needs all the stage control he can get, especially with a small main platform like the one on Battlefield.

Game 4
01:16:40 - VoiD probably knew that you're trying for a pivot grab, so he jumped on the platform. I don't know why you went for a Dtilt, but he got a free combo off of it.
01:17:05 - Were you caught off guard by Bouncing Fish? It looks like it since you ran towards Sheik for some reason.
01:17:20 - I think VoiD made you wary enough of his edgeguarding that I think you panicked on making your inputs; you missing the ledge grab due to Fair put you in a very bad position.
01:18:00 - I noticed that VoiD tends to use shield grab a lot, whether it's for approaching or for edgeguarding. I think you were expecting Ftilt from Sheik, but I think VoiD uses it more to extend his strings. I felt like you should went for a grab one or two character lengths away from Sheik instead of shield.

Overall, it seems to be that VoiD capitalized much more on his edgeguarding that gave you a difficult time in the latter two games, probably because of the stage choices.

Angbad

Smash Ace
NNID
Angbad
Game 1
01:08:05 - I felt like that should have been an opportunity for a Usmash. Would Usmash be too slow in that situation?

Game 2
- VoiD caught you with Bouncing Fish twice, costing you your stocks. For the first stock, I think it's because he condition to airdodge in fear of Fair. Not sure what to say except to watch out for that. For the second stock, I'm not sure why you threw a Pikmin. Even if it did latch onto Sheik, she probably would still be far out enough to hit you, and the Pikmin would just extend the hitbox.
- A couple of times in this game, you threw all your Pikmin away, then you tried to do a smash when none of them are in your "line" yet. It's a little hard to keep track of where your Pikmin are on the stage, so it might be better to go for Ftilt or Dtilt if it's too ambiguous to tell if you have a Pikmin in line.

Game 3
- Right from the start, VoiD got a significant percent lead over you, and I think it's because you were forced to hang around the ledge for some time. You kind of let Sheik take control of center stage right from the word "Go!", and you got caught by Fair that put you right into a edgeguard situation and the subsequent "run up -> shield grab/fair or shield -> fair or turn around fair" combos. I know it's Sheik, but I think you should try to contest for center stage since Olimar needs all the stage control he can get, especially with a small main platform like the one on Battlefield.

Game 4
01:16:40 - VoiD probably knew that you're trying for a pivot grab, so he jumped on the platform. I don't know why you went for a Dtilt, but he got a free combo off of it.
01:17:05 - Were you caught off guard by Bouncing Fish? It looks like it since you ran towards Sheik for some reason.
01:17:20 - I think VoiD made you wary enough of his edgeguarding that I think you panicked on making your inputs; you missing the ledge grab due to Fair put you in a very bad position.
01:18:00 - I noticed that VoiD tends to use shield grab a lot, whether it's for approaching or for edgeguarding. I think you were expecting Ftilt from Sheik, but I think VoiD uses it more to extend his strings. I felt like you should went for a grab one or two character lengths away from Sheik instead of shield.

Overall, it seems to be that VoiD capitalized much more on his edgeguarding that gave you a difficult time in the latter two games, probably because of the stage choices.

He didn't let me go back to FD.

uhh for the 2nd game i threw a pikmin because usually he ends up just hitting the pikmin but I was too slow. Game 3 Yeah he just played well and I couldn't ever get my footing, which can just happen vs sheik. Won't go to battlefield against him.

koken

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kokenz
figured i could use some help from you guys on my olimar, heres some vids of me at my local tourney. sorry for the bad commentary https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GjjJsM6kZ8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMjLUs9O_cc
Game 1
Good overall, but try to not stay that much in shield. If you want to run from Rosalina, she will chase you almost always, so do a pivot grab/smash. She will try to chase you certainly with a Usmash, dash attack or dash grab.​
There are few Rosalina whose approaching is by jumping or short hop and an aerial, so keep that in mind too.
Against Rosalina ALWAYS (this is my humble recommendation) try to punish his recovery after their 1 or 2 tipical hits before catching the ledge. Her recovery is defenseless so you have to not fear of trying it, a well timed Dair will destroy her hopes and dreams. Even a Bair against the stage is destruction and glory for you.
Game 2
Good again, keeping distance of DDD. Just a little recommendation, do a pluck + side b instead of a pluck x 2. It may gives you a more pressure mindgame.

http://www.twitch.tv/fadgames/v/25502640?t=66m0s

me vs VoiD. games 1 and 2 are great 3 and 4 i didn't really get a chance to do much. let me know if u see anything besides rolls.
I don't know why I can't see the fight yet :'( ... it just load a minute or 2 and then stop definitely.
I want to see that fight, isn't uploaded on youtube yet :(?

koken

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kokenz
I was able to saw the 2 fights :D, great fights by the way.
I can't comment about the Sheik fight because I suck at the MU :(.

But about Ike, you adapted very fast to Ike's gameplay. Game 1 was a recon match I guess but what I missed of on your game was a full jump Side B.
Whenever Ike jumped, you could have covered that area with pikmins and then Fast Falling into a running shield to grab, which actually you did a few times at game 2 but more often at game 3.

Ike killed your pikmin very fast, but that leaned to having purples faster, so wasn't a bad thing, but again no distance covered with short hop.
You were waiting wisely his approach and shielded grab his approaching, nice timing.

But if you run at this problem again and you see an Ike always jumping to Fair/Nair in order to take off the pikmin, you definitely have to go to Fair at him.

koken

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kokenz
Hey, one of the matches at the local I went to a few weeks ago was uploaded.

http://youtu.be/SS0jKl_5o_s

There should be two more matches of me playing soon.
Good job, very good at the beginning but you kind of get nervous near the end of the first game.

A little but valuable advice against Ness, is to run and shield those PK Fire, because they get screwed because of that. They will be forced to think another strategy to approach. You did it once at the first stock of the 2nd fight.
Good job on baiting him with Dtilt and dashing around, also excellent use of Side B to force him to approach.

When you shield Ness's dash attacks, you can destroy him with a Dsmash if you are fast enough, keep that in mind :D.

Also, near to 7:58 to 8:03 you do a drop ledge jump and approach by falling to him, but he punishes you with a grab and Fthrow. That would have been totally different if you had used Up B to keep your momentum in the air, then fall with Nair and if a Pikmin was there for you, an Up Smash would took his stock.

I'm the kind of people who gimp Ness's recovery but sometimes it's a suicide decision.

Last edited:
Top Bottom