• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Olimar Video Thread!(?)

Blue Banana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
2ndDerivative
3DS FC
4038-6328-0283
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1bqXto4DBU
My latest tourney set, please critique
- Try not to throw purples off ledges. You want to keep at least one around for utility of the side b projectile and for raw power, and if you throw away the purple you'll need to cycle through all the colors again to get another, which is especially dangerous for this matchup.
- Watch what the opponent is doing. He caught that first KO with the Uair on Duck Hunt because he conditioned you to be wary about it. Always keep an eye on what he is doing so you can react to his actions, not the other way around.
- One problem that I don't have any advice to is the opponent shielding at the ledge. Landing near him without doing anything is too risky since his moves are faster than yours, but I can't think of an alternative option to attacking the shield aside from grabbing the ledge, which could lead to a ledge trump situation.
- Fox's fall speed is so fast that you can combo off of red Dthrow into the 100s, but it also means that he'll land on the ground at very low percents possibly before you finish the Dthrow animation. Just be mindful of that.
- Not sure about this one, but I think you can hit Fox during his side B, even before he finishes it. The opponent was using it a lot to close in on you, and you only took advantage of the ending pause a few times with a free hit. Do more of that if possible.

Soulimar

Smash Cadet
NNID
Soulimar
Norcal weekly foundry tournament. Two recorded sets.

Soulimar (Olimar) vs Mr Pink (Fox) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiBTmqb5S-8
Very defensive fox. Campy game 1 but the set picks up imo. Good competitive example of a strong walling in which its hard for fox to get in.

Soulimar (Olimar) vs Arikie (Hammer Sonic) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPslT5ZWsuc
This is one of my least favorite matchups. You see me throw off my first two pikmin at the beginning of each match to start it off with a bwp lineup. I might start doing this in more hyper aggressive matchups where the opponent is trying to rush me down. I'm still trying to learn this one against sonic but I think my strategy of extreme purple filtering helps me quite a bit. I get a couple lucky reads but any advice in this particular set would be very much appreciated.

Angbad

Smash Ace
NNID
Angbad
http://www.twitch.tv/fadgames/b/666910732

3:27 Me vs R.O.B. I don't play well i have a ROB fear lol. I win

3:53:45 Me vs Rich Brown. Olimar dittos. Check them out! he wins 3-2.

I beat K9's sheik off stream 2-1. I won game 1 on Smashville. Lost game 2 on SMashville. Won game 3 on Halberd(I think this is a good CP for sheik).

Last edited:

koken

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kokenz
http://www.twitch.tv/fadgames/b/666910732

3:27 Me vs R.O.B. I don't play well i have a ROB fear lol. I win

3:53:45 Me vs Rich Brown. Olimar dittos. Check them out! he wins 3-2.

I beat K9's sheik off stream 2-1. I won game 1 on Smashville. Lost game 2 on SMashville. Won game 3 on Halberd(I think this is a good CP for sheik).
Disagree, why would Halberd be a good CP for Sheik?

Soulimar

Smash Cadet
NNID
Soulimar
Hey, Soulimar here. Last week was NorCal's regional Bloodmoon tournament. I luckily played several matches on stream and would love advice and comments as usual. Unfortunately, the recordings were uploaded in large chunks as opposed to individual sets. I'll link to the times in each one.

https://youtu.be/fLvpo-CslF4?t=4131 Winners Round 1 vs Jodi Bleek (Greninja). First time ever playing this matchup so I get completely wrecked :) I've never had to adapt so much mid-set.

https://youtu.be/XST1XKkgGHU?t=2760 Winners Round 3 vs DSS (Diddy/Ness). Ranked #3 in Norcal, DSS plays mostly ness but decided to try diddy in this matchup as I was 1-0 with him in sets. Being best friends with the best Diddy Kong in the region, I shouldnt ever lose this matchup as I play it 60% of the time I'm smashing.

https://youtu.be/qsEDmo3lZsM?t=2505 Losers Round 5 vs Zombe (Pika/Pit). Top Player from Reno. Limited pikachu players in Norcal caused me to struggle a bit early. We played friendlies before the tourney and his pocket Pit was putting in work on me so he hoped he would prefer that matchup better game 2.

https://youtu.be/qsEDmo3lZsM?t=3119 Losers Round 6 vs Villain (Fox). #1 in Reno. I'm very practiced in this matchup but hes stupid good lol. I took a couple very offensive options when I know if I just shield theres nothing fox can do to me :/

I've watched all these matches multiple times and I love that I'm the kind of player that can learn from my mistakes and analyze exactly when/where I lost and how to prevent them. However, any advice will be much appreciated and will go a long way to ensure I don't lose next time.

Angbad

Smash Ace
NNID
Angbad
Hey, Soulimar here. Last week was NorCal's regional Bloodmoon tournament. I luckily played several matches on stream and would love advice and comments as usual. Unfortunately, the recordings were uploaded in large chunks as opposed to individual sets. I'll link to the times in each one.

https://youtu.be/fLvpo-CslF4?t=4131 Winners Round 1 vs Jodi Bleek (Greninja). First time ever playing this matchup so I get completely wrecked :) I've never had to adapt so much mid-set.

https://youtu.be/XST1XKkgGHU?t=2760 Winners Round 3 vs DSS (Diddy/Ness). Ranked #3 in Norcal, DSS plays mostly ness but decided to try diddy in this matchup as I was 1-0 with him in sets. Being best friends with the best Diddy Kong in the region, I shouldnt ever lose this matchup as I play it 60% of the time I'm smashing.

https://youtu.be/qsEDmo3lZsM?t=2505 Losers Round 5 vs Zombe (Pika/Pit). Top Player from Reno. Limited pikachu players in Norcal caused me to struggle a bit early. We played friendlies before the tourney and his pocket Pit was putting in work on me so he hoped he would prefer that matchup better game 2.

https://youtu.be/qsEDmo3lZsM?t=3119 Losers Round 6 vs Villain (Fox). #1 in Reno. I'm very practiced in this matchup but hes stupid good lol. I took a couple very offensive options when I know if I just shield theres nothing fox can do to me :/

I've watched all these matches multiple times and I love that I'm the kind of player that can learn from my mistakes and analyze exactly when/where I lost and how to prevent them. However, any advice will be much appreciated and will go a long way to ensure I don't lose next time.

Well versus the fox... He was pretty good, but he didn't know the MU. I don't have much advice really lol. I get destroyed by larry's fox. Rich Brown probably knows the Fox MU best of any olimar. I did beat SK92 though.

Versus Zombe, I think you should always ban BF against pika. He gets too much out of it. Fsmash the neutral B is pretty safe. I think this MU is pretty tough for Olimar because of how easy it is for Pikachu to get in on us. NOt much to say about the Pit match.

DSS, his Diddy was bad lol. His Ness was alright, but again I think it's an uphill battle for olimar. You can fair/uair/dair the up b to cancel it. Halberd probably wasn't the best CP either.

Just as a player you back roll so much, which isn't really a bad thing, but Ness punished you so many times for it with dash attack. If a player catches on like that you should try to make an effort to mix it up.

koken

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kokenz

In general and I say this going to everyone here (not exclusive for you ^^): PUMMEL.
Seriously, I can't tell you guys how good this is it for several reason. I'm going to post something about on the competitive thread later.

Greninja
Not sure if it is because I am an Olimar main too but it's too noticeable that you are trying to go for the blue grab. Try to mess around and throw some pikmin "randomly" so you can catch him careless.
Diddy
Very good beginning. Not too much to say about this.​
Ness
Good use of purple pikmin. Just a personal opinion, everytime you can reach Ness while he's up B'ing, go for him.
Remember the "holding your landing" tech (or whatever you want to call it), it can help you in some situations. I think you did it once and it totally caught him by surprise.
I like to edge guard a little bit closer but I understand that you were losing and want to play safe.
I really believe you did pretty well, good.​
Pikachu
Something I have to remark is: You had 2 purples and 1 white latched to Pikachu. Once you Fsmash purple'd him, he was recovering being hit by a White and you used down B, getting the white pikmin back to you. Don't ever do that again. Everytime a character is recovering and he has a pikmin latched on, is free damage without escape. Try to remember that and when you are waiting on the platform, try to latch a pikmin to your enemy while he tries to recover.
Besides of that, good work on trying to always latch a pikmin on him.​
Pit
Good game, a reward for patience and calm down. Kind of messy first minutes but good. Again, just my opinion but you could edge guard a little bit closer, so if they always get back with jump, you can punish with Uair.
Fox
He didn't used reflector so you could had abuse a little more on Smashes until he started to do it. Somehow it works to condition your enemy to start making this bad decision on reflecting, shielding or attacking.
Also, to enemies like this that tend to jump a lot, try to go for a short hop Uair.
Not a bad game at all, very goo work at Dtilt x 2, jab and grab. Very well done.
I was sad too when the charged purple fsmash didn't connect... damn mechanics u_u.
Anyway it was a hard match, good job.

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
Something I have to remark is: You had 2 purples and 1 white latched to Pikachu. Once you Fsmash purple'd him, he was recovering being hit by a White and you used down B, getting the white pikmin back to you. Don't ever do that again.
Actually he whistled right before the Pika got the aerial out. I recommend doing what he did, he saved his white so he could keep using it.

koken

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kokenz
Actually he whistled right before the Pika got the aerial out. I recommend doing what he did, he saved his white so he could keep using it.
Preferences are the key on your comment and mine.
Different decision on different playstyle, I rather to have a fresh pikmin instead of recovering a damaged one.

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
Preferences are the key on your comment and mine.
Different decision on different playstyle, I rather to have a fresh pikmin instead of recovering a damaged one.
True, but is it worth possibly getting an extra 3% when you could whistle it back and wrack up even more by reattaching it? You also get to keep it for it's exceptional grab range. Plus and this is definitely preference, but I'd find a red to be least useful out of all the colors in that scenario. Since if the white dies that's what your plucking next.

Last edited:

Soulimar

Smash Cadet
NNID
Soulimar
Thanks for all the advice! Like I said, there's a few options I took in the clutch that could've been better. Game 3 vs DSS, he had very good coverage of all my ledge options. I was in both back throw and up air kill %. When I saw my purple pikmin I thought I could attempt to break his shield with multiple up airs. I forgot I could've just gone to the other ledge. Game 2 vs Villain, I thought I conditioned him into spot dodging my dash grab which I've done to him multiple times that set, so I tried to catch the dodge with a dash attack which was just OoS up smashed. Both of these instances I feel I could've played better by going for more defensive options but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Again, thanks for everything guys. The Olimar boards really are one of the most friendly forums

koken

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kokenz
True, but is it worth possibly getting an extra 3% when you could whistle it back and wrack up even more by reattaching it? You also get to keep it for it's exceptional grab range. Plus and this is definitely preference, but I'd find a red to be least useful out of all the colors in that scenario. Since if the white dies that's what your plucking next.
The way I see it, the possibilities of getting that extra 3% (and latching to your enemy, because you can fail and kill your pikmin without doing anything) are lower than getting a fresh new Pikmin, which casually it's a Red one (assuming is the next) and has a best overall power than a White.
Furthermore and I'm saying this to stop commenting on this issue, avoiding a "fight", 'cause you and I seems that we will never think the same on the topic, you could say to @ Soulimar Soulimar the tips or your opinions on every match up as he asked for.

Thanks for all the advice! Like I said, there's a few options I took in the clutch that could've been better. Game 3 vs DSS, he had very good coverage of all my ledge options. I was in both back throw and up air kill %. When I saw my purple pikmin I thought I could attempt to break his shield with multiple up airs. I forgot I could've just gone to the other ledge. Game 2 vs Villain, I thought I conditioned him into spot dodging my dash grab which I've done to him multiple times that set, so I tried to catch the dodge with a dash attack which was just OoS up smashed. Both of these instances I feel I could've played better by going for more defensive options but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Again, thanks for everything guys. The Olimar boards really are one of the most friendly forums
You did great overall, not to much to mention about really, but as you asked.. Anyway, being there and give an opinion of what happened and what I saw or could have done, are things totally different, and that's something to consider in your favor.
Last but not least, I'm not an eminence on Olimar, and my opinion was just that, my humble opinion. I haven't won anything and I'm not well known for being a great player, so I will definitely prefer to listen to Myran's advices or Angbad ^^.

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
Well heres another one pretty fast.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tw7pUyUHchQ Winners Quarters vs Trevonte (Ryu/Sheik)
Ranked #2 in norcal, he tried to go ryu all tourney lol. Sheik is a bully pls help
Saw that set live, and was rooting for you.

Alright so I wanna point of a couple things before I go into the specific example. First off it seemed like you were getting very little off the combo starting hits you were getting either through using the wrong move or mispacing something. Secondly your recovery patterns on Smashville mainly seemed like you always wanted to try and hit him away. I'd recommend mixing up not throwing out attacks and trying to just get by him to get back on the stage. Purple side-b is usually your best bet when trying to recover and have a hitbox out. Next try and create a lot of space between you two. Maybe try and get purples faster just by running away so you have an easier time keeping him out of your face. Don't be afraid to jump and side-b either since you get more distance. Pivot grabbing more couldn't hurt to much either as long as you don't get to predictable. I was also wondering why you went siege game 2, and what his bans were. Another suggestion would be to work on punishing Sheik's ledge recovery with dsmash or dair, yellows can do this very well. Maybe bthrow more as well. On the 3rd transformation you got a blue grab but did dthrow instead of back which would have been more damage and given you stage control. That's pretty much everything I noticed.

Oh also work on those stage techs :p

Last edited:

Soulimar

Smash Cadet
NNID
Soulimar
I've always been bad at stage teching lol xD Definitely noted. Yeah I saw your comments during the match using that twitch chat chrome extension. Sheik's definitely my hardest matchup as I feel like I play so much worse when im under a ton of constant pressure like trevonte applies :/ I believe he banned town and FD and I really didn't know where I could take him. I was thinking maybe duckhunt but opted for castle which I can see now not being too wise of a choice. I talked to Ito, the winner of the tourney, a lot after that set and he said similar things. He greatly stressed the important of covering every ledge option when I have the favor in stage positioning, which I actually don't attain as much as I should try to. Thanks for the analysis, Myran. It really does mean a lot. I have one more tourney next weekend then I plan on taking a break until post-EVO ruleset with customs banned. If theres anything else about my general playstyle that you noticed after watching several of my videos, dont hesitate to call me out on it as I really want to improve :)

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
For sure, as for stage selection I personally enjoy BF if not FD or DH. Large blastzones and platforms can be nice, and if you can get it 2 purples allow you to really take control of the stage since it's so small.

Angbad

Smash Ace
NNID
Angbad
Well heres another one pretty fast.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tw7pUyUHchQ Winners Quarters vs Trevonte (Ryu/Sheik)
Ranked #2 in norcal, he tried to go ryu all tourney lol. Sheik is a bully pls help

That Sheik was pretty good, but I think you should be winning. You were just making reads that were wrong, he wasn't some amazing player or anything. Lately I've been getting so many kills against top players ( Larry, Tyrant, ZeRo...) with a Purple up air off the ledge. These players are used to jump on the ledge being super safe against olimar, and this sheikw as no different. You condition them to do it every time and then when they're in kill percent get a purple up air for free. It's pretty easy honestly and you had it in both games against him.

Really though under %5 do down throw down tilt jab jab regrab down throw fair against sheik. Quick 40%. Can't be with a blue though. You played well you just made the wrong reads.

For sure, as for stage selection I personally enjoy BF if not FD or DH. Large blastzones and platforms can be nice, and if you can get it 2 purples allow you to really take control of the stage since it's so small.

I really think BF is a misplay versus sheik lol. At least as a starter. Smashville is the best we can get versus sheik. Sheik gets so much more out of a small stage than we do. But I do play the run the hell away all match Olimar so that's just me.

The only Sheik I ever lose to is K9 and once to ZeRo so I think I'm pretty good at the Match Up. Sets never end before game 3 though lol.

Last edited:

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
If you grab with a blue that low follow up with a jump canceled usmash. 32% if it's a purple sweetspot.

Last edited:

Mr Moosebones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Moosebones
Not really a video per se, but this happened to me in a tournament yesterday. Tried to stall so my pikmin could get rid of the banana and give me more get up options, but I stalled a bit too long. Almost had a heart attack. http://m.imgur.com/mO8Y0i9

Last edited:

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Hey guys, new guy here. Been experimenting with the roster and still don't know who I like best, but since I have nostalgia with Pikmin I just had to stop at Olimar, and I got some for glory videos I could use for criticism. I like the character, but I think I'm a little clueless on how to properly play him (I did read the guide for him here before doing these though:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivQkJ1LbfbA :4sheik::4feroy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xxl2aJ1r21k :4myfriends::4robinf:

If you got any pointers on what I'm doing wrong and right, plz lay it on me. The quality is not very goo though, don't have a capture card.

koken

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kokenz
I was writing the post because I won a tournament today :D and finished 3rd another one today and there were videos about the entire tournament... but when finally twitch loaded the video, is awful... lame and HORRIBLE quality. The entire tournament video is cut and lagged every second, every fight and everywhere.
I was so proud that I will let you guys knew how I play and read your advices about my game... but damn, this ruined everything and I'm very angry about it ...
I will post the link to the transmission anyway so you guys can believe me what I'm saying, but this made me so sad...so so sad.
It's like playing by turns and jumping images everytime T_T
I don't have any more words .___.
I seriously warn you, IT'S AWFUL!

I don't ask for advice because with those videos we can't see a $#"%$#%#. But just to share with you my happiness, it is my first place ^^.

Pikachu vs olimar
19:15 -> 22:38 Pikachu 0 - 1 Olimar
22:55 -> 26:43 Pikachu 0 - 2 Olimar
22:48 -> 31:30 Pikachu 1 - 2 Olimar
33:08 -> 37:26 Pikachu 2 - 2 Olimar
42:38 -> 45:51 Pikachu 3 - 2 Olimar

47:37 -> 52:16 Pikachu 0 - 1 Olimar
52:43 -> 58:37 Tmeout Pikachu 0 - 2 Olimar
59:44 -> 1:03:30 Pikachu 0 - 3 Olimar

In the end of the fight you can hear applause for my 1st place u_u so sad...

1st Edit:
In order to redeem myself I share with you an amazing fight of @ Soulimar Soulimar . I really believe his performance on the first fight was stunning! Bad luck on the 2nd fight though :(.

Last edited:

koken

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kokenz
Hey guys, new guy here. Been experimenting with the roster and still don't know who I like best, but since I have nostalgia with Pikmin I just had to stop at Olimar, and I got some for glory videos I could use for criticism. I like the character, but I think I'm a little clueless on how to properly play him (I did read the guide for him here before doing these though:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivQkJ1LbfbA :4sheik::4feroy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xxl2aJ1r21k :4myfriends::4robinf:

If you got any pointers on what I'm doing wrong and right, plz lay it on me. The quality is not very goo though, don't have a capture card.
In general you did well. Some things I can point out in general are:
  • Try to keep a pikmin latched to your enemy whenever you can, specially with those white.
  • Try to avoid hitting with a white one, except if you are seeking a combo.
  • Practice pivot grab and pivot smash, the utility of these are AMAZING.
  • If your enemy charge a smash and doesn't have the accuracy to hit, punish with any strong move.

Vs Sheik :4sheik:
  • Trust a little bit more on spamming your Fsmash when the opportunity shows up.
Vs Roy :4feroy:
  • This is a little bit hard but try to use another move besides of dash attack.
  • When he charge a smash, you do side b. Punish harder that fail from him with any other move.
  • Don't throw all your pikmin at once, try to keep one every time.
  • Good follow ups with grab and Fair.
  • Good, remember that a blue grab can kill with Uthrow, any other pikmin Uthrow needs too much %.
  • Good gimp.
Vs Ike :4myfriends:
  • Trust a little bit more on spamming your Fsmash when the opportunity shows up.
Vs Robin :4robinf:
  • Keep an eye of your line, several times you attempted a grab without pikmin.
  • Protect your escapes with pivot grabs or pivot smash.
  • Don't be afraid of using Fsmash 2 times, even a 3rd can catch your opponent
  • Jab jab can be linked to Grab.
  • Good approaches with Run -> Shield.
  • Good pressure when she tries to come back.

Soulimar

Smash Cadet
NNID
Soulimar
Hey everyone! Its been a while since I last had some videos to post. I have 3 sets from a tournament a couple days ago, and I have some questions regarding certain things and any advice is always what I'm looking for!
The tournament was (once again -_-) uploaded in one big block so I'll link to the times and write it out if for some reason it doesn't send you to it.

Me vs. 4B_Arikie :4sonic: https://youtu.be/nujfzFMU2Ao?t=3763 (1:02:40).
This matchup I got a pretty good hold on as you could see game 1. Game 2, however, he Arikie took a completely different approach to it and timed me out camping the platforms of town and city. I was insanely frustrated the entire match and it tilted me a bit going into game 3. What advice do you have for me in this situation of a sonic just running away the entire time? Right now I'm just telling myself play safe early, don't let him ever get a large % lead. Game 3 I clutched it out so at least I wasn't as salty as I would've been otherwise.

Me vs. Teb :4mario:https://youtu.be/nujfzFMU2Ao?t=6075 (1:41:15).
I have this matchup down imo, me and Teb's sets are always insanely close, each going to game 3, last hit every game. We both had a couple flashy plays and Its actually one of my favorite sets I've played.

Me vs. BKO Boringman :4fox: https://youtu.be/nujfzFMU2Ao?t=8640 (2:24:00)
This matchup I read mostly everywhere that Olimar has a ton of tools against fox, but i just dont see them. I think boringman as a player is just really good in the Olimar matchup. We play for hours on end at smashfests every week and he's the player that is most aware of all my pikmin and what he needs to do to avoid each one. I try to mix up and do aerials with blues which catches him off guard a lot but still his fox has been beating me the last several sets (we're 5-7 now his favor).

My goal this tournament was to have a video of me vs Shaky for Myran as he moved to Norcal last week but I'll have to get one of those another time haha.
Any advice is greatly appreciated and always taken into consideration. Thanks for watching my matches, Olimar boards are always really comfortable for me to post in.

koken

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kokenz
Thanks to Nintendo I can now upload some videos xD... sadly my internet speed doesn't help. Took me like a 20 minutes or maybe more to upload this x_x.

I need some serious advices and critics about this fight specially, I can't understand why I got so much damage. This is something it happens me often, I don't care the result of the match , but I can't understand why I get punished so heavily and so often.

Please help me :(.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8d-j3rb-ws0 vs :4peach:

Thank you / Gracias.

Alph Aran

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AlphSquad
@ Myran Myran Would you tell me what tournament this was? Also, now that I seen how well you seemed to do with this match-up, it makes me think about how I got two-stocked by a For Glory Diddy. I've definitely got to improve next time I fight Diddy. Nice to see an Olimar player known at Smashboards get featured on one of these kinds of videos.

Angbad

Smash Ace
NNID
Angbad
@ Myran Myran Would you tell me what tournament this was? Also, now that I seen how well you seemed to do with this match-up, it makes me think about how I got two-stocked by a For Glory Diddy. I've definitely got to improve next time I fight Diddy. Nice to see an Olimar player known at Smashboards get featured on one of these kinds of videos.

I think that match up is pretty much in our favor. Definitely just play more diddys

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008

I believe that was the VS Evo sponsorship tournament.

YorkTC

Smash Rookie
Hi everyone. Its been a while since I've been on the Olimar boards, but I would like some feedback on a few matches I played at a recent tournament. Overall, I feel like my Olimar play has improved substantially over the last few months, but I am still unable to get as far as I would like at big tournaments like the Foundry. These videos are from a weekly in NorCal called Blu 42, and another player brought a recording set up so we could upload the matches!

York Vs. OS | Z
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IF4jvbXMZXc)
I consider Z to be one of the best Dededes in Norcal, and after playing him week after week I was finally able to take him out in tournament. The matches were close, and there were several points they could have gone either way.

York Vs. 1UP Nitro
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lX9Vi3uQUuw)
Nitro is considered one of the best Luigi players in NorCal, and I got to play him in Winner's semis last week. I think he was unfamiliar with the match up, as he played very differently than most Luigi's I know. I managed to take a game off him round 1, but he adapted and beat me solidly 2-1.

York Vs. PhoenixD
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6hnn_N9qjA)
PhoenixD is a very solid Mario player, and we had some very close matches. I feel like I should have won this set, but it all fell apart in the last game. A caped Yellow Fsmash killed me early, and I was not able to recover in time to mount a comeback.

All feedback is appreciated, thank you all for taking the time to look at the matches!

P.S. I am from the same region as Soulimar, and I typically ask him for Olimar advice. (I see he posts here too.)

Seleir

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Yoshigold
3DS FC
2707-1692-7697
Switch FC
2632-8168-1029
very good match vs Slime in FG, best yoshi mainer in the world
Some cool stuff :D

Last edited:

Freezie KO

Smash Journeyman
http://www.twitch.tv/fadgames/v/9140721

Me vs K9 at 1:20:00

PLEASE WATCH. Need help. I had a sick whistle in game 2 though you should look lol

and a good combo at the start of match 1
First game, not sure what to say. You played great, except for a few mistakes. You went for a running purple grab on your second stock when you had a white pikmin in tow. The shortened range hurt you and you got punished hard. You missed a grab follow up after a jab (on second stock) also. Both minor mistakes but that's what makes the difference in such high-level matches. Nothing you don't already know unfortunately. Just a few misses. :/

Second game, I have even less to say. Sheik spot dodged a grab on what had to be her first active frame, and that lost you the first stock. Other than that... um... needles are unfair? Sheik shouldn't be able to outcamp Olimar? .... Sorry. I got nothing.

--

very good match vs Slime in FG, best yoshi mainer in the world
Some cool stuff :D

Had me on the edge of my seat. Your pivot grab game is on point though! I suck at pivot grabs online. I can get them offline, but online, I only get pivot ftilts with the same input that works offline. I bow to you.

--

Thanks to Nintendo I can now upload some videos xD... sadly my internet speed doesn't help. Took me like a 20 minutes or maybe more to upload this x_x.

I need some serious advices and critics about this fight specially, I can't understand why I got so much damage. This is something it happens me often, I don't care the result of the match , but I can't understand why I get punished so heavily and so often.

Please help me :(.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8d-j3rb-ws0 vs :4peach:

Thank you / Gracias.
It's going to sound bad to say, but camp the hell out of Peach. I'm talking about short hops, pikmin toss, run away, and repeat. You played way more aggressive than I like in this match. Respect Peach because she will control the air in this match up. Force her to make a big mistake, and then capitalize.

You seemed to stay at fsmash range, which is great against most characters. But for Peach, she can approach with float over the fsmash at an angle that Olimar is terrible at covering. Olimar can smash in front and above him. Peach just comes in at a diagonal approach angle to Olimar and dairs with the kicks. You can't challenge her dairs, and she will just keep doing them to your shield. You have to respect that and run away.

In addition to a more defensive camp game, I'd suggest trying to anticipate her landings with pivot fsmash and pivot grabs. Pay attention to how long she's been floating. She can't stay up there forever. Also, I'd favor pivot fsmash in this match because you probably have a better chance to hit her coming down from a float because the grab hitbox is literally on the ground.

Also, be careful for trying to spike her. Only do it when she's going for her double jump or if you have a hard read. If she's close enough to the ledge her up-B parasol will beat your dair in priority and set you up for some bad positions, potentially offstage. Basically, I think a good anti-Peach strategy is to run away and build damage and then try to get a landing with a blue grab/up throw or a smash read to punish.

Last edited:
Top Bottom