• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Olimar Support [Pikmen]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
OMG! Captain Falcon's nipples explode from Olimar's pure awesomeness!
OMG SPOILERS!!!

That would be made of pure awesome.

Olimar is so awesome, that Captain Falcon must show him HIS moves.

Vali

Smash Ace
Yeah you guys are right. I'd have prefered if they took out Toon Link, Ganondorf AND Wolf so they could include one new character moveset (at the very most). Maybe we could have gotten someone cooler than all three combined.... like Waluigi or Ashley
I think he may have been referring to that, as if the mere inclination of including Waluigi wasn't enough of a warning for the sarcasm meter. You've always been annoyingly pro-clone Wiseguy ^^.

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
I think he may have been referring to that, as if the mere inclination of including Waluigi wasn't enough of a warning for the sarcasm meter. You've always been annoyingly pro-clone Wiseguy ^^.
Oh so THAT'S what Egruntz meant. I thought the referance to Ashley would have made my sarcasm obvious (worst character idea of all time. Seriously.)

Anyway I apologize if I was being being overly argumentative earlier. Sometimes I just get worked up about these things...

ANYWAY, I have something Olimar related to bring to everyone's attention. This thread rates all the characters in relation to each other and it has some good things to say about the good Captain: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=141632

Other highlights include the fact that Falco is not a clone after all and the FLUDD isn't totally useless.

nyhustler208

Smash Journeyman
i am wonderin if u can add my name to that list i am going to be active and i am 150% sure im maining olimar

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Not THAT awesome, after all, it was Falcon who had to make Olimar help.
Olimar was just worried that his awesomeness mixed in with the lesser awesomeness of various other Nintendo characters would cause the world to implode.

Also, Fellow Pikmen, I have just posted my 1,000th post. Woot! :chuckle::chuckle:

Florida

イーグランツ
I'm in the making of a Pikmin & Olimar F.A.Q. thread at the moment. Are there any questions you guys think should be covered?

Florida

イーグランツ
Wait... don't you need to play as Olimar first to actually write a FAQ on him?
Not necessarily. Mostly all of the questions we have regarding Pikmin & Olimar have already been answered by some of the people who have played the game. When creating a thread of frequently-asked-questions, all I am doing is adding all of those answers into one thread for easy access.

TheGoodCaptain

Smash Rookie
he seems very difficult to use. i think it'll be a lot of trial and error before we can produce a competitive olimar metagame. the lack of olimar videos on youtube isn't really helping either. has anybody here actually tried him out? the only impressions i'm getting from people is that he's different than anyone else in the game. of course, that's also what makes him intriguing...

IllidR

Smash Champion
I'm in the making of a Pikmin & Olimar F.A.Q. thread at the moment. Are there any questions you guys think should be covered?
That's definitely a great idea Egruntz, Olimar can use a centralized location for information at the moment. Can't say I can think of any questiosn right now, but I'm sure once I see the thread I can help you with anything that's missing.

L_Cancel

Smash Champion
Wow. Nobody has posted in this thread since 2-07-2008. *Bump*

Yeah, egruntz that's a good idea. I think we need sombody with the Japanese Brawl to research the properties of the pikmin pluck and collect some probabilities for each color pikmin for each stage. It would be extensive research so I doubt anyone would want to do it though....

Collective of Bears

King of Hug Style
NNID
Gark430
3DS FC
1805-3069-0371
A few questions I have:

- What terrains effect the chances of plucking certain Pikmin?
- How effective can he be WITHOUT Pikmin?
- How easily to Pikmin die?

nevershootme

Smash Master
A few questions I have:

- What terrains effect the chances of plucking certain Pikmin?
- How effective can he be WITHOUT Pikmin?
- How easily to Pikmin die?

From what I can say after playing up to 5 hours of playtime with Olimar

-It doesn't really matter the terrain from what I've played (Final D, Battlefield) that you'll get specific pikmin, but what i've experienced so far, I got less white pikmin than yellow, blue, and red combined.

-he's decent, but terrible recovery, his up B without pikmin does a minor boost to reach the edge. you would have to attack your opponent to make some space for you to pluck.

-pikmin die up to 2 hits from any character (except the ones immune to specic elements) or 1 hit from ike in any form lol...

Kabyk-Greenmyst

Smash Lord
I really like Olimar, and I've been a frequent member to this character board. However, last thursday, I got to play Brawl. <GASP!> Yes, it's true. I managed to get 6 FFA's in. My fourth character (really wanted to try out Olimar, but he is just really bad in FFA, had other char's like Toon Link and Pit to try first) was Olimar.

I thought he was going to be bad in FFA, we all do. He was WORSE than that. I couldn't accomplish anything, or keep track of anything. I got a really negative and weird vibe from him.

Good news, is that his attacks are really good. Even his tilts and aerials which don't have much range, are all extremely good; either in priority, damage, combo setup, etc. He looks like he will be good in 1v1, albeit an extremely hard to learn character, because you're going to need a lot of tech AND mindgames aplenty. I'm just disappointed I had to try him in a FFA.

PS: Brawl pwns everyones soul for 12,000,000 damage a second; per turn.

nyhustler208

Smash Journeyman
I really like Olimar, and I've been a frequent member to this character board. However, last thursday, I got to play Brawl. <GASP!> Yes, it's true. I managed to get 6 FFA's in. My fourth character (really wanted to try out Olimar, but he is just really bad in FFA, had other char's like Toon Link and Pit to try first) was Olimar.

I thought he was going to be bad in FFA, we all do. He was WORSE than that. I couldn't accomplish anything, or keep track of anything. I got a really negative and weird vibe from him.

Good news, is that his attacks are really good. Even his tilts and aerials which don't have much range, are all extremely good; either in priority, damage, combo setup, etc. He looks like he will be good in 1v1, albeit an extremely hard to learn character, because you're going to need a lot of tech AND mindgames aplenty. I'm just disappointed I had to try him in a FFA.

maybe it was b/c it was ur 1st time playing. olimar isnt a character that u would expect to pick up the 1st time u play with him.

icy_icicle

Smash Journeyman

Really? In FFA, his pikmin throw racks up massage damage the other players usually don't notice, and his FSmash has the range and power to KO all three at once. I found him to be perfectly good in FFA as well as in 1v1.

Fiz

Smash Apprentice
Really? In FFA, his pikmin throw racks up massage damage the other players usually don't notice, and his FSmash has the range and power to KO all three at once. I found him to be perfectly good in FFA as well as in 1v1.
I agree, he is really good in FFA.

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
From what I can say after playing up to 5 hours of playtime with Olimar

-It doesn't really matter the terrain from what I've played (Final D, Battlefield) that you'll get specific pikmin, but what i've experienced so far, I got less white pikmin than yellow, blue, and red combined.

-he's decent, but terrible recovery, his up B without pikmin does a minor boost to reach the edge. you would have to attack your opponent to make some space for you to pluck.

-pikmin die up to 2 hits from any character (except the ones immune to specic elements) or 1 hit from ike in any form lol...
Thanks for the info. His recovery does seem pretty bad, but as a Doc main I should be use to it.

Interesting. I did get the impression from the videos that he seems more geared towards one-vs.-ones, but hopefully with time he can be used decently in FFAs as well.

Florida

イーグランツ
Added a whole bunch of people to the "gray" list. :dizzy:

Anyway, right now, the plan for the Pikmen is to perform some sort of merge with Brawl Central. Just today I've received a couple of PMs, requesting that I progress with Pikmen and make it into an online-clan. I've been trying to contact whedgehead (BC Pikmen leader), but he always finds reasons to avoid conversation, for some reason. Plus, the only time I was able to talk to him, he never settled any agreements. Just some, "I'll get back to you on that," and such.

If we perform some sort of merge, I have no idea what to do with the Pikmen over here. I'll most likely keep it a support group, but also make it a "Pikmin & Olimar Player Finder." Or something like that.

koopa cape located at the end of rainbow road
@Blitz: Yeah, that one's pretty good. I think its also on IllidR's video thead.

This one, however, is easily the best Olimar match ever: http://youtube.com./watch?v=mNeXeqlGe6E

@Egruntz: If a merge happens, we may want to consider renaming out Smashboards Pikmen support group into somthing different in order to avoid confusion. Just a thought.
well we were first, soooo they should be the ones re-naming.

KraidGuy

Smash Ace
Phaaze. I am a mercenary of the Dark Hunter. Hel
I have to ask the people who played Brawl a question...

Does the Pikmin you pull up vary on what part of the stage you're at? If so, that means Sakurai disigned each stage to have a type of Pikmin in each section... so, for those stages he didn't design (Stage Builder) how do you know the color Pikmin you will pull up?

koopa cape located at the end of rainbow road

Does the Pikmin you pull up vary on what part of the stage you're at? If so, that means Sakurai disigned each stage to have a type of Pikmin in each section... so, for those stages he didn't design (Stage Builder) how do you know the color Pikmin you will pull up?
i dont have the game or have played it but from what ive read pikmin frequency does not depend on what stage or terrain olimar is plucking from. There is some predetermained frequency that we dont know exactly yet.

Florida

イーグランツ
@Egruntz: If a merge happens, we may want to consider renaming out Smashboards Pikmen support group into somthing different in order to avoid confusion. Just a thought.
I suggested a name change to whedgehead. He doesn't plan on changing the BC name, from the looks of things. If possible, I would like to keep the SWF name as "Pikmen."

I was actually just talking to Fanewgie (who has Brawl) about this. I asked him to go to the following stages, and record the amount of the colored Pikmin plucked: Norfair, Battlefield, Rumble Falls, Lylat Cruise, and the Summit. Out of 18 Pikmin, here was the outcome for each:

Norfair: 3 red, 5 yellow, 1 blue, 5 purple and 4 white.
Battlefield: 5 red, 4 yellow, 4 blue, 2 purple, and 3 white.
Rumble Falls: 4 red, 4 yellow, 4 blue, 3 purple, and 3 white.
Lylat Cruise: 3 red, 6 yellow, 3 blue, 4 purple and 2 white.
The Summit: 5 red, 4 yellow, 5 blue, 4 white, 0 purple

Fanewgie suggests that the probability is evened and random. Though, The Summit's report seems rather sensible. Don't know what to make of it at this point. I'm sure this will be looked further-into once the American version is released.

nyhustler208

Smash Journeyman

i think it depends on what type of platform your on i think

TheGlitchMaster

Smash Lord
i was expecting norfair to have huge amounts of reds, and yelows to come upon pokemon stadium 2 when it's in the electric stage.

KraidGuy

Smash Ace
Phaaze. I am a mercenary of the Dark Hunter. Hel
So...... it's completely random? So, for example, you could stand still, pluck a Pikmin, stay in the exact same spot, and pull up a completely different Pikmin? Or would it be the same? I meant like, there are certain sections where a certain color of Pikmin is pulled up. Like on Norfair, maybe a blue on one platform, yellow on the next, red on the central platform, purple on the next one up, and white on the one with the capsule.

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
well we were first, soooo they should be the ones re-naming.
I agree. But as egruntz says, the BC folks are being unreasonable... :ohwell:

I suggested a name change to whedgehead. He doesn't plan on changing the BC name, from the looks of things. If possible, I would like to keep the SWF name as "Pikmen."
I share that sentiment. I've grown attached to the name. Maybe we could just alter the name to something to the tune of "The Original Pikmen," only less lame. I dunno, just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom