• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Olimar Matchup Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
Can somebody tell me what pages the Lucario discussion was on? I have a very hard time seeing why Olimar is a counter to him, and I need to know what to do.

Noa.

Smash Master
There is no such thing as a Lucario discussion. Luc is in our favor. As long as you don't try to combo him with fair or juggle him with uair, you should be good.

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
There is no such thing as a Lucario discussion. Luc is in our favor. As long as you don't try to combo him with fair or juggle him with uair, you should be good.
that is possibly the best part of a post i have ever seen in this thread, possibly even in these boards ever

Noa.

Smash Master
If you're having trouble against Lucario, I suggest thy you stop using so many aerials and grab more. Our aerials do badly against Lucario, nut our grabs are better than usual. Shielding is also very safe against Lucario because he's grab range us very shirt and it's easy to see coming.

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
If you're having trouble against Lucario, I suggest thy you stop using so many aerials and grab more. Our aerials do badly against Lucario, nut our grabs are better than usual. Shielding is also very safe against Lucario because he's grab range us very shirt and it's easy to see coming.
Here was my issue. I quickly learned that my aerials were crap, and I couldn't out camp him for my life (I normally try to play a semi-aggressive Olimar, but will resort to camping when I need to re-group). B toss wouldn't get over so well either, considering the guy I knew knew how to counter pikmin tossed. My up close smashes were easliy dodged. As for the grab game.... He knew how to dodge my grabs, and he kept getting me with the side B grab.
basically, all my approach styles were negated, and I couldn't figure out how to get around the attacks. I figured maybe if I could get one pikmin to latch and then I could land a grab, things would work, but I couldn't pull that off.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I see some good Oli players losing to Lucario players occasionally. (Logic, Richbrown, whoever loses to Tactical, ha.)

I don't think Olimar wins by a notably large margin, if any.

edit: You're losing for different reasons though. ;/

You do outcamp him. If you must, camp him while standing on the ground. Pikmin have a faster firing rate. If he uses downB shield it and do something to him once he reappears. It has a noticeable enough start-up to shield on reaction.

From there, you outcamp him. Force him to approach and reap the benefits of shielding Brawl.

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
I see some good Oli players losing to Lucario players occasionally. (Logic, Richbrown, whoever loses to Tactical, ha.)

I don't think Olimar wins by a notably large margin, if any.

edit: You're losing for different reasons though. ;/

You do outcamp him. If you must, camp him while standing on the ground. Pikmin have a faster firing rate. If he uses downB shield it and do something to him once he reappears. It has a noticeable enough start-up to shield on reaction.

From there, you outcamp him. Force him to approach and reap the benefits of shielding Brawl.
He negated the pikmin by using attacks rather than shield or down b. and lucario can make a lot of pikmin killing attacks in a short time, forcing me to repluck and giving him time to regroup.

idk. I might go watch more videos. see how the pros handle this.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
B toss wouldn't get over so well either, considering the guy I knew knew how to counter pikmin tossed.
He negated the pikmin by using attacks rather than shield or down b. and lucario can make a lot of pikmin killing attacks in a short time, forcing me to repluck and giving him time to regroup.
Which is it. <.<

idk. I might go watch more videos. see how the pros handle this.
This^, if you can understand them.

Noa.

Smash Master
Shield the aura spheres. They're easy to see coming. Just keep throwing pikmin on the ground. Plucking doesn't even take a second.

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
side b the auro spheres...camp him until he is 120%...then get up semi close just out of his fsmash range and lure him into a punishable move...then kill :3

Fino

Smash Master
We haven't had a Match-up ratio for squirtle since early july 2008. Since then we've refused to acknowledge him on our match-up charts for some reason.
Don't worry... there was like a 6 month period where we forgot zelda entirely

Noa.

Smash Master
Advantageous Matchups

Zelda - 70:30
Captain Falcon - 70:30
Ganondorf - 70:30

Jigglypuff - 65:35
Link - 65:35
Toon Link - 65:35

Bowser - 60:40
Charizard - 60:40
Donkey Kong - 60:40
Fox - 60:40
Ike - 60:40
Ivysaur - 60:40
King DeDeDe - 60:40
Kirby - 60:40
Lucario - 60:40
Lucas - 60:40
Mario - 60:40
Pit - 60:40
Pokemon Trainer - 60:40
Samus - 60:40
Sonic - 60:40

Neutral Matchups

Pikachu - 55:45
Zero Suit Samus - 55:45
Rob - 55:45
Yoshi - 55:45

Diddy Kong - 50:50
Falco - 50:50
Wario - 50:50
Ness - 50:50
Snake - 50:50
Wolf - 50:50

Ice Climbers - 45:55
Mr. Game & Watch - 45:55
Sheik - 45:55

Disadvantageous Matchups
Marth - 40:60
Peach - 40:60

Luigi - 35:65
Meta Knight - 35:65
My disagreements

Toon Link is very even. He's mobile enough and his moves have more than enough priority to cover himself. He just has to play aggressive and not campy and he'll do well.

DK is even since his tilts and the occasional down B make it difficult for us to use our great ground game. He also gimps us okly.

Kirby is unwinnable for him since he really can't approach and we outcamp him ocmpletely. Kirby can only rely on mistakes in this matchup, and mistakes diminish as the skill level gets higher.

Pikachu is our advantage, albeit not by much. He has to be very careful and patient to get in, and making only a couple mistakes means him taking a lot of damage. Factor in that we kill him early and he kills us late and that makes us have the advantage.

Mr. G&W is our advantage. He can't do **** against us.

The rest I agree with.

moyshe

Lazer Fox
NNID
moyshe
3DS FC
4442-1379-8655
I think icies are way in olimars favor. The only way I know how to beat good icy players is with my olimar.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
oh btw, about the IC matchup, cook was right. You can upsmash against the blizzard wall. it's not that hard to time, especially with yellows. I don't think the matchup is much in their favor, if at all.

Tin Man

Smash Hero
we should just go down the tier list, lets do Wario, although doing ICs would also be fine with me

we need to put Dabuz's sexy post in the OP or something (if only we had throughout detailed match-ups like this for every character)

moyshe

Lazer Fox
NNID
moyshe
3DS FC
4442-1379-8655
oh btw, about the IC matchup, cook was right. You can upsmash against the blizzard wall. it's not that hard to time, especially with yellows. I don't think the matchup is much in their favor, if at all.
Yeah same, I think Oli has the upper end.

i knew that you could just fullhop dair to punish blizzard desynchs, but i want vids of upsmash blizzard wall :O
Yeah I want vids to, nvm it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom