• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Olimar Matchup Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
meta game has nothing to do with specific matchups, but we prefer to discuss matchups that give us the most trouble rather than following the tiers

from what i've seen, most chars we counter always chose a char that counters us anyways, like marth luigi, falco, mk and peach

imo, discuss these first, then move on to the wider played chars that are closer to even, like diddy falco lucas ness pika peach etc.
Metagame to me mean what's most played. Like my meta could consist of 100 MK and 100 snakes and no other characters why would I want to learn lets say the Gannondorf match up. If you are trying to learn the meta then you have to predict what characters are more played in a tourney environment. So that you're better prepared to handle that. Let's take you for instance you're from CT you probally travel to MA or NJ. So if we take a look at the result of those tournies. You will see placing of Snake and MK at the top for the most of it then maybe pit diddy marth falco and wario. What would be the purpose of you learning how to better handle the gannondorf match up for the snowballs chance in hell the you face a gannon in this region. The meta ( tourney enviroment) Doesn't consist of low tiers. But that's just my view on metagame. Now if you want to develop and take your character to new heights that will still involve learning the match ups against characters that are played. You can have all the AT's in the worlld doesn't make your character any good just look at sonic.

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
That flowchart fails to include obnoxious Ftilt spam.

Kirbyoshi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
acme2491
I'd like to discuss Luigi, as he's the only char (well, him and MK) that I have a real problem with. I usually just counter DDD, but I'd like some Oli strategies against Luigi.

Fino

Smash Master
I'd like to discuss Luigi, as he's the only char (well, him and MK) that I have a real problem with. I usually just counter DDD, but I'd like some Oli strategies against Luigi.
the strategy for beating luigi is the same as for beating G&W... pivot grab >>>> everything.
The difference between luigi and G&W is nair and shoryuken
just keep pivot grabbing though

~Fino

Llumys

Smash Champion
Does plucking reverse the effects of stale moves?

If so, it's a good idea to do empty edge cancel plucks when possible. For example, right before running off the edge and immediately tethering to hog.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Does plucking reverse the effects of stale moves?

If so, it's a good idea to do empty edge cancel plucks when possible. For example, right before running off the edge and immediately tethering to hog.
No, it doesn't. An attack has to make some sort a interaction with an object for it to be registered to the game's decay memory.

BOB SAGET!

Smash Lord
I dun think so. So llumys u think it's lower? Well same, I say 60-40 having fought a samus all the time.

Though we outcamp samus her zair is a great tool against us to keep us in the range she wants.

Afrayail

Smash Ace
So I'm looking into working more on Lucario as a secondary in addition to ROB; for the most part, do you think these two cover Oli's bad match ups? Looking at all the charts, it looks like I have my bases covered for the most part, except for our dear friend Metaknight.

Which brings up another question, and sorry if I missed this discussion, but are we really at such a disadvantage against MK? Their boards say Oli, as well as Luca and ROB, are 60:40... but that's them XP I think my own opinion differs a bit, but what do you guys say?

Thanks! :)

Tin Man

Smash Hero
rob is a good 2ndary to Olimar, not the best, but a good one, it covers every match up (except MK) therefore with Olimar & ROB, u wont have a match up worse then 50-50

Rob vs Mk is 70-30 MK favor lolololololol, Oli vs MK is 60-40 MK favor (atleast imo, and according to the Mk boards)

Afrayail

Smash Ace
Was it my imagination, or didn't I read a post by Overswarm saying the match was impossible? (ROB vs MK)

Aaanyway, their charts seem to say that those three are all either about even, or slightly in his favor. http://www.freewebs.com/essyc/Smash/ROBmatchup2afterSnake.jpg

Despite what they say, I hate fighting Peach with ROB, though, and obviously even more so with Olimar. It looks like Lucario has a 60:40 advantage over her, though.

What are your guys' secondaries?

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I heard Meta Knight was a pretty good secondary, so I began using him. Who would have guessed he'd cover everyone. ^__^b

Fino

Smash Master
I heard Meta Knight was a pretty good secondary, so I began using him. Who would have guessed he'd cover everyone. ^__^b
don't listen to this kid... otherwise you'll start liking men...
wait, ****... that's not really incentive for you >:|
...otherwise you'll start.. not... liking men...?
**** it, I give up
Don't play mk ;D

~Fino

Afrayail

Smash Ace
Hah, I messed around with MK for awhile, but don't really want to use him. Maybe I'll save him for my friend that mains MK, though.. :p But other than that, I think I'll work on Luca/ROB.

Do you guys use the characters you do because you really like the characters themselves? Or do you like their play styles? Or is it their tier? (I'm going to guess that the third option applies to the MK users ;P)

Llumys

Smash Champion
Lol, people don't understand that using a character because of their "tier" and because of how good they are is different.

I use Meta Knight because he's amazing, but not because the tier list says so.

Fino

Smash Master
-Llamacario- :lucario: 0-100

Discussion: 519 - 542

What to Watch out For:
-Godly mating call
-Gets stronger as his percentage increases
-Can carry more luggage on his back as his percentage decreases
-King of the desert ninja skills
-his recovery is flying through the night

Matchup Mentality:
-Give up, he is the god of pokemon and llamas
-You must accumulate 999% damage to KO him with your stitchface or bomb (Beamsword might kill at 800%)
-Back air, fail against him
-Edgeguarding is hopeless
-Llamas have an unusual reproductive cycle for a large animal. Female llamas are induced ovulators. Through the act of mating, the female releases an egg and is often fertilized on the first attempt. Female llamas do not go into "heat" or have an estrus cycle. You're goal is to prevent this cycle in hopes that no more llamacarios are born, it is the only way to defeat them

Did you know?
-The height of a full-grown, full-size llama is between 5.5 feet (1.6 meters) to 6 feet (1.8 m) tall at the top of the head. They can weigh between approximately 280 pounds (127 kilograms) and 450 pounds (204 kilograms). At birth, a baby llama (called a cria) can weigh between 20 pounds (9 kilograms) to 30 pounds (14 kilograms). Llamas are very social animals and like to live with other llamas as a herd. Overall, the fiber produced by a llama is very soft and is naturally lanolin free. Llamas are intelligent and can learn simple tasks after a few repetitions. When using a pack, llamas can carry about 25%–30% of their body weight for several miles.

-The gestation period of a llama is 11 1/2 months (350 days). Dams (female llamas) do not lick off their babies, as they have an attached tongue which does not reach outside of the mouth more than half an inch. Rather, they will nuzzle and hum to their newborns.

Quotes:

Videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbPDKHXWlLQ
Good choice Afrayail, you at least have peach covered ;)

~Fino

Afrayail

Smash Ace
Lol, people don't understand that using a character because of their "tier" and because of how good they are is different.

I use Meta Knight because he's amazing, but not because the tier list says so.

Oh my, I apologize. I do believe I understand the difference just fine; however, saying "tier" was the fastest way to generalize what I was trying to get across, and was mainly referencing MK. :psycho:
In his case you'd figure he's top tier for a reason, right?

Aanyway.. gee thanks Fino :p And when are you going to get those pictures to me, son? (dragonzplx)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom