• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Oli Piktures Present: The Oli Video Compendium (Updated 11/25/09)

Status
Not open for further replies.

YearOldTaco

Smash Rookie
Hello everyone! I'm a long time lurker, first time poster here on the Oli boards. I was wondering if I could get my Olimar critiqued. These videos are from a bracket match from a local tournament held in January. Its a little bit old and I have analyzed/corrected quite a few flaws since then but I still would appreciate any critiques and pointers. Sorry if the audio/background noise and angle of the video is annoying. I wasn't the one recording, the hosts of the event were.

Both of these are vs Snake.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_PRKcxmAbs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pngeFJz8R-I

Again, these are just some bracket matches, I'll upload and post some more later. Also, at this tournament and the other 3 I've attended I've been taking 1st place consistently. Don't know if that counts for anything, just thought I should share. :)

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
When fighting snake (and most characters, for that matter) you'll want to throw pikmin from the ground more. From what I can see, though, you don't try to spam pikmin too much, which is good. When he approaches you slowly, counter his approaches with fsmash instead of grab. It usually works better against him. Don't approach snake with usmash, it'll most likely just get you punished. There isn't much reason to approach in this matchup and it's actually advised against as the first player to mess up in their approach in this matchup gets ****ed over.

When you're recovering and you have a purple pikmin in the front of your line, and your opponent is edge guarding you (such as the first time you're knocked off stage in the first video) toss the purple pikmin as you're falling to cover yourself and make it difficult for your opponent to keep you away.

When you're both sitting still in a standoff, with both in their shield, and you have the time and space to, send out a fsmash to cover the area. If snake's at low percents, always downthrow and follow it up with something (fair's usually best for this, usmash is okay, a regrab can sometimes happen as well, and snakes will usually fall for it actually as they don't want to lose their second jump and get juggled).

You threw a purple off stage on purpose D:

Don't let snake corner you against a ledge, especially when he just spawned. Whenever you short hop an aerial and pull back and land with little lag, it's oftentimes good to throw out a fsmash, as people think they can punish the lag after your aerial. It's an amazing bait.

Stop f/bthrowing at low percents >_< even at mid percents, against snake, you can almost always get a good followup on him from a dthrow. It's difficult for snake to land when Olimar's below him, so take advantage of it. If dthrow isn't cutting it and it's stale and you want the damage but they're not at kill percents, use uthrow I suppose, although it kills too.

So yeah. Focus more on punishing landings and taking advantage of how bad snake is in the air above Olimar. All in all it was pretty good :) Great to see another Midwest Olimar!

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Sorry, I just felt obligated to critique a fellow MW Olimar ^^;

Also, it's difficult for me (others probably, as well) to critique online matches. So I won't be able to say too much. Few things I did notice though:

Try to be a little faster with your fair after the dthrow. Buffer it, since this is wifi, you'll want to get the timing down so you don't have to see it, you just know when to do it based on when you start the dthrow.

Stop approaching with fullhop dairs lol

When the opponent is approaching you from a fullhop, don't try to hit him with pikmin toss, just wait or him to land and punish accordingly. Also, fullhopping isn't the best idea, and usually leaves you completely open. Use fsmash more to stop his approach. Challenging him in the air usually isn't the best option either, though it works a lot on wifi, our fair is good when they can't see it coming lol

YearOldTaco

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the pointers Hilt! Glad to be another Midwest representing Olimar :) I've already fixed some of the problems that you have pointed out since the video is a little old, but I still greatly appreciate the critiques and tips. I'll upload and post some more videos later (the internet here at my campus is complete fail >_< ).

EDIT:

I've uploaded the grand finals matches from that tournament. Match 2, for some stupid reason, was only started 20 seconds before the match ended, so I didn't upload it. My opponent went ICs, but he really didn't know what he was doing so it was a very easy match :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zr6H6YdeRGY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyWI60S2-Uo

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Beginning of the game you immidiately gravitated towards the ledge. Against kirby. Don't do that lol. Interesting bair out of shield. I'll have to try that out. You can shield grab kirby's fsmash. Don't dash grab kirby, it leaves you too open. If you can help it, don't start a grab combo with a purple. If you have a purple in front, toss it towards the opponent. It'll either hit them (in which they'll still be at combo percents for fair out of dair) or mess them up to where they're able to be grabbed easier.

Stop approaching with grabs :mad: approaching kirby with dash grabs or up smashes gets you hit. Punish his landings with pivot grabs. Or shield grabs if he bairs your shield. If you have the option of landing on a platform or landing on the ledge when getting on stage, go for the platform. It's a little more diffiucult for kirby to pressure us on platforms than when we're against a ledge. Nice use of dtilt under the tree. Don't backthrow when they're almost at kill percents. Then you can't kill with backthrow when they are at kill percents. watch for spot dodges and punish with dsmash up close. It's better than fsmash up close. Stop running right towards the ledge!

When camping, throw pikmin from the ground, not the air. Dthrow more when at low-mid percents, even if they're outside of combo percents. Follow them and regrab or chase them with smashes. Yoshi is really vulnerable to this. So are a lot of other characters. Like snake and Falco. Don't fight Yoshi up close if he gets in and starts keeping pressure on you.Stop dash grabbing if you don't have to. lol don't let your pikmin get dsmashed. jk. When you are punishing landings, watch what your opponent does as they land. Don't try to smash them if they're using aerials that beat out your smashes.

Yoshi's annoying.

It's way too late for me to be trying to critique a video XD

*_Echo_*

Smash Journeyman
pretty much what hilt said. And stop running so much! Stand and camp under a platform, wait for them to come to u, and then punish, kirby has a VERY hard time approaching olimar, if u sit and camp him and u shield his *ariel here* u get a free grab and then u just wait to upsmash him.

But at 2:12 on PK1 i LOVED. dthrow -> dash -> they attack -> pivot grab. is too good XD
and also stop dash grabbing :p use piviot grabs more, ALOT more

EDIT- also use short hopped UpB's more, just get used to the angle and it can be a great weapon for hitting ppl high up or hitting someone that is off stage to disrupt them or get a surprise kill. And its lagless so if they dodge it, u pivot grab :D

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Perhaps. I'll need to talk to Dan and see what's going on. If he's not going to be in the Oli Boards much anymore then yeah, I'll probably have his threads taken over.

Wish he wouldn't be though :(

Denti

Smash Master
I can make the thread? it can be done tomorrow, just give me the word hilt. it'll have the videos from this thread also so we don't have lost ground.

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Got a few against a PT. I'm in a rush to get out, so I'm just going to quote his post on the PT boards.

I got a whole lotta friendlies in with the Olimar main from Austin a few weeks ago. We lost track of time and played doubles till midnight and realized we hadn't gotten any singles matches recorded, so you'll see me do some dumb stuff due to becoming increasingly tired, haha.

vs. SkyPirateCoud (Olimar) 1

vs. SkyPirateCoud (Olimar) 2

vs. SkyPirateCoud (Olimar) 3

vs. SkyPirateCoud (Olimar) 4

vs. SkyPirateCoud (Olimar)5

vs. SkyPirateCoud (Olimar) 6

vs. SkyPirateCoud (Olimar) 7

vs. SkyPirateCoud (Olimar) 8

vs. SkyPirateCoud (Olimar) 9

vs. SkyPirateCoud (Olimar) 10

vs. SkyPirateCoud (Olimar) 11
There's some dumb stuff (DAIRING AT THE EDGE AGAINST SQUIRTLE), but there's some good stuff in there, too.

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
I've only seen the bottom movie, but:
1. Stop using the getup attack over and over. It's easy to predict when you do.

2. Pikmin toss isn't the answer to everything. When he goes high, get up under him and either try to bait the Dair or start attacking.

3. Dedede grabs a lot. Learn when to whistle and when to airdodge or move away.

4. Quite often it's better to cling to the edge rather than landing onstage. Make him work for it by using different ledge options (Uair under the lip, drop->Jump->whistle->Nair->Usmash, spaced Fair, retether, etc.)

5. There were a few times when I thought "How the hell did that work?"
Then I realized that Hilt wasn't Ftilting or even really edgeguarding well. Just be aware that Dedede players will do things like that.

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Fight a better Yoshi. That one didn't seem to know how to grab, Neutral B, or DJC.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
You grab a lot. First of all, you don't want to dash grab. Olimar extends his hurt box a bit when he uses a grab, and he doesn't have grab armor, so going for dash grabs can be risky, when used for anything other than punishing something, or following up from an attack. Use a lot more Pikmin Toss and Fsmash. If you switch between Pikmin Toss, Fsmash, and Grab often, it'll be difficult for your opponent to get in.

Go for more Dthrow at lower percents, instead of wasting your kill throws as much as you are. It puts the opponent in a position where they have to worry about safely landing against a character that excels at punishing a landing opponent.

Fair, Nair, and Dsmash didn't happen much at all. Short Hopped forward air is a good replacement for up smash, is more maneuverable, safer, and leaves your up smash fresh for kills. Not that it's better than up smash, but there are times when you should use one instead of the other. Neutral Air has set knock back on every hit except for the last one. That said, if you are landing and hit a grounded opponent with a neutral air, but cancel it by landing into the ground before the last hit of the move connects, it combos into up smash or up tilt.

My main bit of advice would be to use a lot more fsmash and pikmin toss. You have the other two staple moves down (grab and up smash) now you just need to work on the next two.

Paranormalsin

Smash Ace
And don't just post your good ****, this thread isn't for you to show off. Post matches you lose as well as those you win, as long as it's a good game
ill have nope and fonz record some of the games i play with champ, capem, nope, and fonz nd have them uploaded bc pretty much every game with them is a learning fight as in "oh hey, you messed this up" or "hey you keep doing this thing and you get punished/killed for it every time, stop doing it" or even "this is prolly what you can do to try and make this MU easier for you"

hey also, im back in the tourny scene and hopefully ill get some vids that way too xD

Dnyce

Smash Master
I caught the chance to play Weruop earlier and thought it would be a good opportunity to get some Olimar dittos up. It is wifi, but it was recorded in real time (hardly any lag though, still a little). Weruop won the first two games we played. I also excluded the game where he played Diddy and the game I played Luigi - they were pretty bad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5c3LXtuYgbc - Game 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQP53ZDXLCE - Game 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_tDRbPZiws - Game 3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oYJiNlkXjY - Game 4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geEI24wc10w Game 5

Enjoy

tl;dr - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OztYT_OZ8v8 Highlight

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
Wow, I never knew Oli dittos could be so epic. I learned so much from watching those, I'm really glad you posted them. Nice comeback in game four. And lol at the laser **** in game 5, poor Wer :D

Dnyce

Smash Master
The first two games we played reminded me of Andy G vs Mr. X. Couldn't resist so I had to record them :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom