• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Oli Piktures Present: The Oli Video Compendium (Updated 11/25/09)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichBrown

Smash Master
I can't wait til all you guys get a chance to play so cal's top 3 MKs, it's unbelievably maddening you have no idea

KORNNNNN~

Smash Master
yay for name search first time ever... D:< what's going on here !!!!??

i can't figure out if that MK just doesn't know the oli matchup or is that horrible overall
good one !!!
I would like to see how well you could handle against me.. lol :laugh:

I don't mind to play against any Olimar.... except for P~S, since he know how to play against good mks very well, and we always play against each other in tourneys

I watched about 30 seconds of one clip and saw him dtilt close range... and continued to do it on shield. you decide, lol.
hey tough guy ??? i wonder if you could do any better if you play me or P~S :laugh:

no offense to you p~s, you are a beast now but i just don't see korn as an mk who knows the mu.
no offense to you as well, but you're not a better olimar than P~S :o lol

Pyronic_Star

Smash Champion
you know dabuz, i just now watched some of these and i completely agree with you. I'd like to see p~s vs. some of my local mk's, if i tried 80% of those things P~S did against people in my region I would constantly lose my stocks :X

no offense to you p~s, you are a beast now but i just don't see korn as an mk who knows the mu.
its about when you do what you do, not alwas what you do... ummmmm, i beat dm brandon and nario last weekend if that helps, there both mk's. i heard that dm always does/did well agaisnt waltz, and nario is pretty good and has beaten ADHD a few times

but korn is pretty good at the MU, play him in tourney, your see lol

IcyLight

Smash Lord
its about when you do what you do, not alwas what you do... ummmmm, i beat dm brandon and nario last weekend if that helps, there both mk's. i heard that dm always does/did well agaisnt waltz, and nario is pretty good and has beaten ADHD a few times

but korn is pretty good at the MU, play him in tourney, your see lol
i'm not going to say any more until i actually do fight him, but one thing he doesn't do is nair your recovery, which you can't whistle air dodge or attack through if he times it right, he just tries to dair most of the time. korn, if you name search again, be more aggressive when we are off stage and you will surely do much better

RichBrown

Smash Master
^truth

Also, mister patrick~star, I noticed that you randomly use fthrow and bthrow, and it leads to nothing, and I twitch every time I see you do it lol. Any reason for that? Why not just down throw then try to read em after that? Not to mention you save your kill throws. Grabbing someone with a blue and immediately throwing them is **** if you catch them off guard and they don't DI properly.

~Amaterasu~

Smash Apprentice
^truth

Also, mister patrick~star, I noticed that you randomly use fthrow and bthrow, and it leads to nothing, and I twitch every time I see you do it lol. Any reason for that? Why not just down throw then try to read em after that? Not to mention you save your kill throws. Grabbing someone with a blue and immediately throwing them is **** if you catch them off guard and they don't DI properly.
After guaranteed throw combo % getting them off stage for edge guard damage or for breathing room to re-establish stage control is the next best option IMO :3

also, pummeling until they start the mash out is another good way to trick them into bad di. His throw kills late compared to his other reliant kill moves. Consider an forward or backthorw done at a % 70-110 will be near fresh again (given lots of pikmin tossing, juggles and edgeguarding moves used) by the time you grab with a blue or purple again.

Just my thoughts lulz. I'm prolly wrong about all of this ;__;

RichBrown

Smash Master
I'm gonna have to disagree with that assessment. You can establish the same amount of breathing room with a Dthrow, and you give yourself a chance to rack up more damage. The Dthrow automatically puts them in a bad position, and puts you in a good one. I only saw Logic get follow up damage maybe once or twice (haven't watched all the videos yet) and on one occasion he got gimped trying to follow up a Bthrow.

Any smart player will simultaneously mash and DI when they get grabbed, which is why I never pummel with blues at high %. I just throw them instantly. It's a quick throw, so if you get them and throw them right away, that's when you catch them off guard. And you give yourself a better chance to kill with that throw if you save it.

All that being said, every now and then I'll Uthrow when they are in mid-percent, since sometimes theyll DI weird and I can follow it up.

~Amaterasu~

Smash Apprentice
It dependant on a lot of things really. I was just trying to give an insight in his reasoning for doing so. I agree that uthrow is a good option for uair juggles and what not to rack damage, but I think relying on your opponent to mess up is a bit illogical. Olimars grab is very slow. While the throw animation may be quick "any good player" will know to di up when grabbed by oli at that percent (given how slow the uthrow animation is slow it can be done on reaction as well).

As for mashing and DIing, considering that rolling the control stick is a primary way of getting out, there is a 3in4 chance they wil di incorrectly.

RichBrown

Smash Master
You'd be very surprised how many good players you can catch off guard by quick throwing (especially if you grab them in a weird situation, like off the ledge)

There's no reason to ever waste your kill throws, excpet against snake at the ledge when he's at very low percent and you f or b throw him off and he jumps into your fsmash and then you spike him then footstool him when he tries to c4 recover

~Amaterasu~

Smash Apprentice
You'd be very surprised how many good players you can catch off guard by quick throwing (especially if you grab them in a weird situation, like off the ledge)

There's no reason to ever waste your kill throws, excpet against snake at the ledge when he's at very low percent and you f or b throw him off and he jumps into your fsmash and then you spike him then footstool him when he tries to c4 recover
If he's at the edge at low percent then it's not wasting it. You seem to be under the impression that using a move once stales it for KO, by the time you grab snake again for a kill throw, it'll be fresh. Amirite?

IcyLight

Smash Lord
If he's at the edge at low percent then it's not wasting it. You seem to be under the impression that using a move once stales it for KO, by the time you grab snake again for a kill throw, it'll be fresh. Amirite?
if you grab snake in the edge he should either lose his stock or take a lot of percent.

throw off --> fair --> spike (ken combo)
throw > fair > force him to jump and smash or chase his air dodges.
pretty much throw into anything you want, he either goes down low and then recovers, or he immediately jumps with a nair/uair, which u can fair/smash him out of. you can even just throw him off and if he expects you to jump at him, he will jump aerial and u can just charge a smash for the lawlz.

snake has a really tough time and very limited options when in this position

but, when i grab snake...it's more often than when im throwing sideb, i only sideb to force him into a position where i can get a grab, so my grab is always stale in this mu. i save smashes for kills rather than grabs, cause grabs won't kill him till ~200% unless bad di, and smashes will kill him ~150% if they are sort of fresh.

Today

ლ(இДஇლ)
Cincinnati, Ohio ; Land of Happiness and Kindness
NNID
Daylightful
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeQrPCH84Os Heyo, guys! Critique please? O:! I noticed I missed whistling a few times! But other than that, I hope some things are okay!! >:! Please and thank yew very much!! :3v
I'll be going all Olimar at this tournament! And no Game and Watch.. or try to at least! ): So I'll try and get tons more videos for help!! And Andrew will be there, too! So yeah! Gotta step it up with Oli-chuu! O: Go Day!

IcyLight

Smash Lord
uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh............make sure you play vs. d3 as a campy match. run away and spam sideb, it puts a ton of pressure on d3 players and forces them to approach into a situation better for you to pivot grab or punish.

Make sure when recovering you save your double jump until you are closer to the stage, it helps a lot and makes recovery easier. Can't really edge guard an oli unless u jump off and hit him before he can double jump > uair you :]

also, when you nair and hit the ground you don't always have to up smash. try dsmash, try nair > pivot grabbing, try nair > jab jab > dash grab. There are so many more follow ups out of nair that a lot of peopel don't use, i'm going to reference this for you and anyone else who forgot about it.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=257271

Some of that stuff may have been proven false in the past few months but it's still a great reference to learn some follow-ups.

Noa.

Smash Master
Only a couple comments.

Fair less since it's not good in the ddd matchup. He sheildgrabs it way too easily.

Throw more pikmin. Ddd has a lot of trouble getting the suckers off.

In the air it's best to avoid confrontations by whistle bouncing.

Today

ლ(இДஇლ)
Cincinnati, Ohio ; Land of Happiness and Kindness
NNID
Daylightful
@Icy! O: Yeah!! I have a huuuge problem with not saving my last jump and idk why! -sad face.- >:! But thank you!! I really need to break that habit! And yeah, another habit of mine is nair > usmash. >.<; I really want to try something else, though and I try to but my fingers react so fast! O: GOtta break that! Thanks a bunch!!

And thank you, too, Draco~!! :3 I'll do that! o-ov

Noa.

Smash Master
I actually have some replays I would like to record if anyone would help
me. I need to be critiqued anyway.

RichBrown

Smash Master
Icy: yeah, I agree, snake is probably the one exception to the fthrow/bthrow rule, as long as he's not nearing KO %. Every now and then I'll catch a snake off guard with a quick blue Bthrow and get a wonderfully early kill.

RichBrown

Smash Master
Zori: you held up pretty well imo. RH played the matchup very, very well, you should feel good for keeping it as close as you did. I'm honestly not sure what more you coulda done.

One thing I will say though, you gotta always be prepared to DI a hit. This has been a problem for me too lately, where I'll get hit by something and I won't expect it, so I'll have average DI, and I won't be able to make it back to the stage. You were doing well in game 1 until he got you there at the end. Also, just try to speed up your playstyle in general. Trust your reads a little more. You had a couple punishments that were in your grasp, but you didn't act on them right away, and so he got away with his mistake. Just brace yourself for them nados.

Lately I've been landing Usmash-usmash-uair on people at 0%. I never go for the Uair after the Usmash because I usually miss, or they airdodge, but the Usmash hits just about every time, and then while they are like "wtf did this ***** just usmash me twice?!" THEN you can Uair them. There was one part of the match where you got the Usmash then tried to follow up with Uair, he got away and started hitting you.

And NEVER pick BF against MK, it's a bad stage imo :/ Ugh fighting MK has become such a chore now... they are able to capitalize soooooo much on one little mistake we make, but they can get away with so much. It's so frustrating sometimes knowing that you probably outplayed your MK opponent, yet they still won :/

Patrick~star: that was pretty **** lol

Edit: I randomly thought of something else Zori: when they nado and you block the whole thing, and they land on the other side of you, just turn around and grab. Not a lot of Olimars do this, so people sometimes think they are safe if they are on the other side of us.

Pyronic_Star

Smash Champion
i watched too!!!!!!!!!! i just didn't commment :)

you need to capitalize on his habits more... after tornado he spotdodged, and you always tried to grab as he spotdodged and then got punished for it

to solve this issue you should have either waited and punished the spotdodge... or tried do do somehtinng other then a grab like an up-smash which has less of a timing issue when punishing mk's lag from nado... or timed your grab better

sometimes you should just di away from mk and try to get to the ledge after being hit high up, its sometimes safer

and you pikmin throws looked autopiloted, you need to use them to bait things such as shields, sidesteps, airdodges, certain atks... then punish those

IcyLight

Smash Lord
yeah zori, you didn't do too bad. that mk definitely had a pretty good idea of what he's supposed to do. after they tornado you can drop shield after the last hit and get a free smash, just remember that. i use dsmash cause it hits on both sides of me if eh tries to retreat with tornado at last second.

other than that, p~s/rich pretty much gave any other advice i could offer.

@rich. usmash > usmash combo is AMAZZZING i started doing that within the past few weeks when i do play and it's pretty awesome.

RichBrown

Smash Master
Zori, it's also important that you have a better attitude about your Olimar. I'm not sure if you're just saying you suck, hoping we'll all swoop in and defend you from yourself, or if you actually believe it. Either way, that attitude isn't gonna cut it. If you believe you suck, then naturally you're gonna suck. But for me, I always tell myself that I'm supposed to win every match, and that I'm the ****. It's a much better feeling going into a match telling yourself you rock, even if sometimes you may not believe it.

Your Oli honestly isn't far from where it needs to be, there's only a handful of easy mistakes that you made (which a lot of us here woulda made too) that are easily correctable. Go back to being the super awesome Dtilt hero Zori. We all <333 you

Zori

Smash Champion
im not looking for sympathy i never asked anyone for that. i say im bad cause i think i am but me accepting that im bad helps we understand what i need to improve on. me walking around like im better then everyone eles has never helped me, in real life or in this game. I want you guys to be brutal on my videos because i want to get better esp vs mk. I'm quitting after whobo so i want to make the best of it, im starting from scrath with my olimar and going to use my good stuff and add better stuff and aim for top 10.

sorry if i sound like a downer, which i normaly don't but i got too much on my mind right now, not game ralated either

Noa.

Smash Master
It's disheartening that you're quitting. Also, you can't get top ten, only top twelve. Common mistake people make.

BrianH

Smash Rookie
Only replays I have of myself are against Admiral pit ATM. If anyone would like to put them up on here or check them out.

RichBrown

Smash Master
So Dabuz got some vids that he never told us about that are very recent:

Dabuz vs Shadow: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGlx4toE3yE (games 2 and 3 are in related videos)

Dabuz vs some lucario: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvdGxszDJ7k&feature=related (game 2 in related vids)

There's some really good stuff vs Shadow. For the most part he knows when and when not to attack.

Unfortunately he airdodges like a **** wifi noob, so cal would be all over that lol

But basically I'm gonna learn how to play like this minus the noob habits and start ******

IcyLight

Smash Lord
yeah, minus wifi habits that actually looks like how i play vs. mk, except no (edit: little non-wifi) mistakes and better timing on when and when not to attack :] nice vids dabuz, please tell us when you get vids up these boards need ones like you vs. shadow that show how to play the mu correctly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom