• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Oklahoma Thread: Weekly events for all games in OKC and Tulsa

Gravity

Smash Ace
i really want to go too. we should all go the same day. . .i would try and get kevin to go but not only would he probably be scared but hed cop out because of the $100 thing. No matter what i tell him we wont get a job. oh well

Shade_

Smash Ace
No Id go even though Im very weary to things even like roller costers, cus It sounds really fun and something that most people have not done. But andys right I don't have the money for it, and I probably wont until august or around there.

Darqhart

Smash Rookie
As a black man, I must say that I have an inherent aversion to the following: Skydiving, Bungie jumping, scuba diving, sailing, (heck, ANYTHING involving being in, near, or around large bodies of water) heavy metal, and any form of law enforcement.

That being said, congrats to Yawara for being a crazy mofo and jumping out of a moving vehicle at 10,000 ft. with a backpack stuffed with a sheet strapped to his back and surviving.

Also, Brawl is awesome.
As a white man, I must say that I have an inherent aversion of the following: Skydiving, Bungie Jumping, rap, and any form of law enforcement.

I would never jump out of a plane. I have a fear of heights, I could possibly go into a seizure from fear. My reasons are listed as the things I can do naked:

Eat
Sleep
Swim
Walk
Just about everything except fly.

So seeing that I can't fly, I think I will keep my feet on their intended location; Earth.

BTW;

Unless I can muster up some cheap foldable chairs and tables, Smashfest for the 30th might not be coming together. I will keep you guys updated.

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
1) Just to let people know, I have exactly 12 dollars in my bank account now thanks to this. :)

2) Static line jumping is 100% idiot proof. You don't even need to deploy your own chute cause the line pulls it out for you. It's risk free, and it's just there for a good adrenaline rush, but it'll leave you wanting or more.

3) If you want, you can do the tandem jump instead (I want to do that) from a higher height. A static line is like 3500? But if you REALLY want to freefall and **** your pants, you do a tandem at 10,000. That's more or less what I'm shooting for next time. It'll be totally badass.

King_Gt

Smash Journeyman
Unless I can muster up some cheap foldable chairs and tables, Smashfest for the 30th might not be coming together. I will keep you guys updated.
I've got 3, and I have friends who can bring more...
Even so, we don't NEED chairs, they're for squares anyways, like pants. :p

Omega_Star

Smash Lord
I get freaked out by even the swing ride at Frontier City :dizzy:

It's true, we don't necessarily need chairs, but they would be nice, especially if it's in a garage.

And lol @ Sakurai on Boss Battles:
Sakurai said:
I wonder if a monster player who can clear the incredibly challenging Intense level without using any Heart Containers may exist somewhere in the world...
I saw a video where someone beat Boss Battles with Meta Knight without even getting hit. In fact, here it is now: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FDeZ9ydtM4

Gravity

Smash Ace
how much does the 10000 foot one cost? and do you have to do the other one first?

10000 feet sounds badass

3DS FC
5301-0744-1149
everyone neeeds to add me on their FC list. . . as for boss battles it only took me 2 trys to beat intense

so i thought of this as a sig for an ice climbers player
Fighting alone half the time!...lol

RastaImposta

Smash Lord
Man, give me melee over brawl any day man. Ive never been better at the game than I am right now, going stock for stock against chris (ehhh, most of the time.)

AND ME BEATING THE **** OUTTA BRANDON, IN YO FACE PO! BLAAAAHAAAAAAA.

Haha, anyway, it was fun, they all kicked my *** in brawl though.

Jiggs=the gay in brawl with rest doing absolutely nothing.

3DS FC
5301-0744-1149
so i can never beat toonlink...never...wait once...when i got him!...so...i decided to try and use him...and now i know why i cant beat him. because he *****! i wont main him but dang he is too good

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
Not sure Andy, but I don't really give a ****. lol The static line IS necessary however if you want a license.

And yeah, I miss melee . . . I'm actually finding brawl to get . . . old. The gameplay is just kind of stand away and then hit and then stand away. It's not as exciting :/

I don't even care about learning advanced tactics.

And >_____> @ Alex.

Darqhart

Smash Rookie
it's too bad darq doesn't have more chairs. if only yawara didn't go around breaking them all...
I'm working on acquiring more, and more tables as well. Money might be strained this weekend, so I might have to cancel the one for the 30th. I need to be able to set things up in my garage and thats why I have to get folding chairs and tables.

Monshou_no_Nazo

Smash Journeyman
I was facing a good Game & Watch today. Game & Watch out prioritizes Marth's fair spam. I was told I need to start Nair-ing more, which I'll start doing. I think I'm just afraid of attack decay ruining Nair.

Gravity

Smash Ace
lets start a melee for life or something similar club.

i guess ill still play brawl but yeah, i dont see a point in advanced tactics. brawl will be like mario party was at a smashfest to me. assuming anyone is playing melee at all. if not, ill just play stepmania in the corner or watch melee vids.

L

leetcao

So...if anyone in Norman is down for smashing sometime this week, hit me or youkai up. We desperately need more peeps to play with...

Omega_Star

Smash Lord
Well, I'm batting 2-0 in Brawl tournaments, so I like it alright ;)

I prolly won't be able to go to KC on Saturday, though :( There was a death in the family, but what can you do? Gotta have priorities anyway.

po pimpus

Smash Ace
Sigh...

Melee Players said:
MASSIVE BRAWL JOHNS
Seriously you guys... I realize that most of you have Melee sooo ingrained into your hearts that you feel you will never let go, but I'm really sick of hearing it every other post.

It's not just here in the OK Thread, but all over this forum. It seems like half the community(the really technical, played it everyday for hours on end, loves-working-his-fingers-into-carpal-tunnel-syndrome kind of players) HATES everything that is Brawl, while the other half(yours truly, the kind of player who enjoys playing better people, developing a winning strategy, who just-loves-Smash-Bros.-as-a-whole) LOVES it.

I thought that maybe it was because I skewed more casual than most: I don't mind playing with items every now and then, but I enjoy testing my base fighting skills without them as well, and I don't have a problem with most stages, although Temple and New Pork City annoy me, despite having awesome music. Looking back, though, I don't think that's it.

I look around this place and all I see is 'Brawl Sucks! I hate it!' Yet, a lot of these people have their Brawl FC emblazoned under their avatar... 'It's too slow!' Yeah it FEELS slower than Melee, what with the lack of l-cancelling and super gravity that game had.

My favorite though, the one I hear the most: 'It isn't as deep as Melee, not as competitive.'

What? A game that's only been playable for about two months in Japan and less than a month in the US, not even available to Europe yet not as deep as game that has been the best-selling Gamecube game for the past seven years?!?! PREPOSTEROUS!!

Not as competitive? That one's even more ridiculous. For as long as there is a clear cut winner and loser at the end of a match, it will ALWAYS be competitive. Hell, Mario Kart has a competitive scene... Don't throw that trash-can argument at me.

Sure, it may not have hyper-mega-super-easy-combos, or ultra-zero-to-death-gimp-kill-techniques, but it is most assuredly competitive. Don't believe me? Play Chris for a few rounds and tell me it ain't competitive... ;)

So, from what I've seen, because people have to actually THINK about what moves they use, when and where they use them, it isn't as competitive as Melee? Or is it because you can't/don't need to be hyper-technical to have a close match with an opponent of somewhat equal level? Or are you mad because they removed Mewtwo and Pichu? (Sorry, Pablo :laugh:)

Yeah, you have to do think somewhat about your moves in Melee, but you can't tell me that there hasn't been times where you didn't even think, but just instinctively slapped the c-stick and L or R a couple of times and either got a huge combo or flat out killed your opponent without really trying...

Yeah, I did it again. Super-long post of doom... but after playing with Babac and Paemon and seeing them along with a lot of the Smash Community bagging on a game that's in my personal Top Five Games of All Time List, I'm just a little confused as to why you all hate it so, and somewhat... disappointed that none of you are really giving it a chance...

I will give you this though:

Tripping is utterly stupid(unless you trip on Diddy's banana peels- then it's hilariously awesome)

Gravity

Smash Ace
well, i cant speak for anyone else, but, i dont hate brawl. brawl is fun.

however, IN MY OPINION, melee is more fun. maybe it is because brawl is new and melee isnt, but i enjoy playing melee more.

im not arguing its not competitive or anything like that.

Yeah, you have to do think somewhat about your moves in Melee, but you can't tell me that there hasn't been times where you didn't even think, but just instinctively slapped the c-stick and L or R a couple of times and either got a huge combo or flat out killed your opponent without really trying...
thats basically my strategy. seriosuly though, that happens to me alot, and its part of why i love it.

I look around this place and all I see is 'Brawl Sucks! I hate it!' Yet, a lot of these people have their Brawl FC emblazoned under their avatar... 'It's too slow!' Yeah it FEELS slower than Melee, what with the lack of l-cancelling and super gravity that game had.
eh, i dont even have a wii, which may be why i dont l ike brawl as much.

anyway, im not saying i hate brawl, i just like melee more.

and i gave it what i consider a chance, i played with bryan and chris and at darqs thing a little bit. i also played it another friends house, and we tried the two person home run contest for hours, and its fun. very fun. but to me, it wont ever replace melee. maybe im stupid, wrong, biased, or what have you, but there it is.

Seriously you guys... I realize that most of you have Melee sooo ingrained into your hearts that you feel you will never let go, but I'm really sick of hearing it every other post.
well if youre sick of hearing about it, then check out this cool video i found of smash brothers: http://youtube.com/watch?v=Pmaud6yvTdw

and on that note, lets all post really long posts before babac gets back and piss him off.

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
It's not the ingrained part. It's just that I feel no need to go and play the game like I did with melee.

Brawl isn't fun for me. That's all there is to it. Your arguments as to why you think I don't have fun with it doesn't change one simple fact: I don't have fun with it.

And your divisions as to player types doesn't really fit. For example, it's true that I can waveshine infinite with Fox. But so can Kuni.

Difference between us two? He likes the game, I don't. Other difference? I'm always more than willing to travel to tourneys to meet new people. Regardless of financial issues or whatever because I loved playing the game.

The switch from 64 to melee for competitive players was only an improvement. All of the things that made 64 competitive was transfered over to melee and imbedded in that game's fighting system. What Nintendo did now, however, is blatantly disregard player emotions and basically say it doesn't care about its competitive fan base. It only cares about making the game LESS IN DEPTH by PURPOSEFULLY taking away every key aspect that was in the competitive scene with the intention of making the game shallower. Whether we make the game more in depth or not isn't the point.

The point is Nintendo knew about competitive smash and then spat on it.

And the basis of competition, last time I checked for everything, is based partly on technicality. Competitive sports, athletes need to have better dexterity, agility, knowledge of the game, etc. Competitive racing, drivers reflexes have to be quicker, better knowledge of the vehicles, ability to read and react to different road conditions. Competitive smash: solid grasp of necessary advanced tactics, knowledge of key matchups (including what to look out for and how to escape like getting out of shine combos which every decent player knows how to do because the game's been out for 7 years), knowledge of stage counterpicks, and technicality.

And last time I checked, the zero-death combos in melee were never easy. If they were, then people wouldn't play them because it wouldn't give anyone any sort of enjoyment. Combos in melee took precision, timing, foresight, and effort. If they work, you're rewarded, and that's what drives people to become better. As for the gimp kills, it's easier to avoid being gimped than actually being gimped since you can only be gimped on one part of the stage at a certain time if you're at a correct percent and if all of the variables are met.

And the difference between great players and ones that don't really go anywhere with their game is that the best ones follow a routine but decide what routine to use at what times. People can't win by spamming moves in melee. Try spamming just nairs with Falcon, and you'll get slaughtered. Why? Because even if Nairs set up for combos, its super low priority will allow basically anyone to bat him out of the air with a tilt. Or with another aerial.

You try to just spam an attack, and you'll find that any decent player will easily find a way around it. That's partly why Chris was so hard to beat. You'll just try and try to find some way to approach him but because he's so adaptable and make so few mistakes when it comes to reading you, that it becomes near impossible to approach him. But better players are able to space themselves better, use more unpredictable sets of attacks, and rather than doing routines, they're able to create better on-the-spot combos. I mean, look at the way Forward comboed Chris from one side of D64 to the other. I don't think Chris had ever experienced anything like that, and it's not just because Forward's more technical.

At the end of the day, most players waveshine at the same speed, l-cancel at the same rate of efficiency, SHL spam nearly the same, and wavedash just as well as the next guy. But what made melee different isn't the super technical stuff that you go on about. It's the dynamism of the gameplay.

The fact that you don't have to just use this one move and can instead alter your movements and spacing so you can do something exponentially more efficient and then create combo opportunities out of it is what melee has over brawl by leagues. You can't even dash dance, you can't even DA dash, you can't friggin waveland across a platform, fastfall, wavedash back, and then dash to a grab. Instead, everything is just stand back and wait for the guy to do something and hopefully outrange/outpriortize him or wait for lag.

You talked about how annoying it is for Falcon to fight a Marth cause you could only attack a Marth when it did something laggy. You do realize that's basically what brawl is. And you talked about how in melee characters only spammed moves. In Brawl, the best characters are the ones who can spam moves the best.

This is an underdeveloped game that was aimed to be underdeveloped. Nintendo hoped to crush the competitive scene rather than evolve it. It's true that rock-paper-scissors is competitive but comparing that to chess is utterly laughable.

Likewise, what you have here right now is a game (brawl) that is a watered down, slower paced version of a game and the best strategies for that game are to do exactly what you hated to do the most in melee besides being technical. Camp and spam. So long as you just hold your ground and wait for someone to do something laggy or just roll around like a fool and bide for time that way or just spam around until you can get a singular hit off, you'll be able to grind your way to victory.

Meanwhile, you have a game that's not fully developed yet, is constantly changing, is lauded for its dynamism, and the best players that frequently dominate it aren't the ones who are technical but are the most knowledgeable and the most dynamic.

Brawl is meant to be non-competitive in the sense that it is not meant to be chess. The skill that's involved is infinitely less than anything melee had to offer.

And P.S. I haven't practiced melee for two years now. What I learn to do is what I learn to do from playing other people. That includes waveshines, SHL, platform dashes, combos, etc. I'm not the kind of player that loves melee cause I need a technical game. Instead I play the game because it offers that much more potential than anything else I've ever touched before.

po pimpus

Smash Ace
I guess I really have lost my competitive edge, because everything Yawara just said USED to get my blood pumping. Nowadays I can't be arsed to try and get around a Marth F-air camping the ledge, waiting for me to get impatient and rush him so he can get that grab to backthrow into an off-stage gimp kill. I strived for years to get my Luigi game to a point were it could compete against the legions of Marth/Sheik/Fox/Falco players. Even though my tourney record is abysmal, I still tried to find ways to beat people better than me. I may have failed more than I succeeded in that mission, but I learned so much and got so much better.

You also have to realize that I was fighting an uphill battle my entire Melee journey. Luigi has godly aerials, and the best wavedash in the game, but that don't mean **** when Marth can just casually bat you away just by pressing A or knowing that if you mistime/misplace that ONE attack, he(or any other top tier) WILL KILL YOU EFFORTLESSLY. Yeah, I can 0 to death Fox or Falco, but I've only got one or two options for making that happen, they have at least a dozen ways to kill me... I won't even go into how easy it is to edgeguard him, but you play Falcon, so you already know.

You can argue DI, sure, and I MIGHT be able to outprioritize you at some point, but the damage is done, and now I'm at even MORE OF A DISADVANTAGE. At this point, I'm making character johns, but whether he sucked or not, Luigi is my character, and I would NEVER abandon him, bad matchups or not.

Yeah I know Chris is worlds better than me in Melee... but **** it, I don't think its fair for his gifted hands to be able to take a stock from me in under five seconds all because my ******** hands ****ed up my wavedash/l cancel/whatever. How many times have you all seen me air dodge off the edge into death at the start of a match, only to come back and bring it within one stock high percent? What could I have accomplished had my fingers not flubbed that wavedash? Oh the frustration I have felt at Melee...

Maybe that's my REAL problem. I'm terribly uncoordinated, and I have to focus so much more than anyone else just to pull off simple techniques. My hands have cost me more matches than my opponents EVER will.

Do you know what it feels like to absolutely KNOW what your opponent is going to do and watch in agony as your attempted countermeasure doesn't come out because your thumb slipped and caused you to jump instead of smash, so you JUMP DIRECTLY INTO THE VERY ATTACK YOU KNEW WAS COMING EONS AGO?

Po does. That's maybe why I prefer Brawl. It's more natural, the controls are intuitive to me and my Because my hands cost me less matches because they aren't pre-occupied with pressing a complex series of counter-intuitive commands.

Perhaps Yawara is right in his analogy that Melee is Chess to Brawl's game of Checkers... I've always loved Checkers, Chess... not so much.

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE the ENTIRE Smash Bros. series, from the devastating throws in 64 to the complex metagame of Melee, to the sheer polish and pick-up-and-play nature of Brawl. If camping is all I have to worry about in Brawl, I'm already better off than I was in Melee. I burn tents down kids, remember that.

Also I can beat Chris with Bowser... So yeah that can be taken either way...

KING ME!!

Gravity

Smash Ace
i tihnk im gonna agree with yawara (again).

not only is his post really long, but i used to think the only i way i was semi competitive at smash was because of mind games and reading.

seriously, by the time everyone was shffling, i could barely short hop. probably because i NEVER practiced. ever. for long stretches of time i never played the game either, and a lot of the time i dont think i even had a copy of the game.

the only thing that kept me semi even with everyone else is i could read them like a *****. or a book, part of that lives on today with marth not being able to poke me because of spot dodge for example(and some other stuff but im generally best against marth since i fought marth so much in the formative times of my playing style). . .but as my tech skill got better, my mind games got worse. so be it. thats not the point.

i dont really know what im getting at here, except that in melee tech skill ISNT everything, its there, all it does is expand your possibilities, to give you more options to get around whatever gay and/or cheap thing your opponent has come up with. but you certainly dont need them if you have the capability to get around stuff without them ,with the limited options it provides. look at broly (sp?) or anikis link and samus. i know its extremely old, but i saw a video where he almost beat ken with no wavedashing.

im not going to deny that the people who waveshine and crap can probably get easier kills then luigi or samus players. some techniques are far easier to use than they are to counter, but getting around them with a mid or low tier is part of the fun of the game. maybe.

and yeah, i know what youre talking about po. in the mgc finals when i fought pablo, i probably would have won but i killed myself at the beginning. it still got to one stock high percentage, (and i got the most epic meteor cancel ever falcons dair on yoshis story at 140%, im still proud of that, but thats not the point), costing me a free trip to dallas and a chance at $3000. not to mention all the times i sucked *** in a tourny.

perhaps part of the reason im such a melee fan is that 95% of the time i dont really mind losing, and 95% of the time projectile spamming, shine spiking, and otherwise gimp kills dont piss me off. if they do i just take a break for a bit and then im fine. everyone else always posts about how they hate losing. the only time ive hated losing is when wobbles ***** me.

i guess im rambling, my original and only point i was trying to make is that melee isnt all tech skill and one can get plenty far(or atleast i did)without it being good. eventually it caught up, but i didnt worry about it and it took care of itself.

anyway, ive always been more of a chess guy myself.

po pimpus

Smash Ace
Very well. You guys prefer Melee, I prefer Brawl. I will agree to disagree on that one. Like I said, I'm not bashing Melee, I still do enjoy playing it, even if Babac can beat me now -_-
There are simply aspects of Melee's gameplay that I do not like (mainly certain playstyles). All I can do is wait and hope everyone learns to accept Brawl for what it is, just as we all had to accept Melee after 64.

This is almost exactly like Street Fighter 2 vs Street Fighter 3: A lot of old-school SF players HATED the new style, and many refused to crossover and learn the new game. Those who defended SF 3 couldn't understand why the older players refused to let go of the original. This led to massive flaming and arguing. There is still bitter blood between the players of each, and a select few who don't really care and play both.

Despite my personal feelings toward the Brawl vs Melee issue, I will accept that you guys feel Melee to be superior if you can accept that I feel Brawl to be the better game. Besides, its got Dedede and Melee doesn't, so there...

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
I was content to drop it at what Po said but . . . what?

Anyone help me understand that statement better?

Royal Nynja

Smash Ace
omg you guys send long asz posts. melee is better because of its speed and glitches, but brawl does have more of a character selection. wifi is a great idea but lag is a pain...

wut?

Smash Apprentice
Personaly brawl is better in my opion The cherecter roster is insane and the maps are tight...but wavedashing is the only thing i miss about melee

King_Gt

Smash Journeyman
Personaly brawl is better in my opion The cherecter roster is insane and the maps are tight...but wavedashing is the only thing i miss about melee
Not only is that a coherent statement, but there are only 2 misspelled words, I think we should take a break and congratulate wut?
Did you get Mozilla or something lol

Crackboom

Smash Apprentice
It sucks to be so torn. I like Brawl better, my crappy characters rock now, but I fear it will never be so technical as to have that wall that separates noobs from pros like melee had.

Shanx

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, i like brawl better. Getting competitive in melee was fun, but being a cheap ***** wasn't. Fox won tournaments. Falco did well, as did marth, and sheik. that's 4 people out of the 20 something character roster for melee. so only 1/5 of the characters in melee could be used on a competetive level. That's bull****. All 4 of those characters had ridiculous gimp kills. fox had the shine, shine, and shine. Falco had his spike, as well as a strong fair, dtilt, and dsmash. marth had the tip. 'nuff said. and sheik had her ftilt to anything to anything else to some more random moves to fair. It was great meeting everyone and playing everyone, but after a while it just got old. It was a race to see who could use their cheap moves first and most effectively, then people spend hours finding counter cheap **** to win.

Enter brawl. Peach got her *** nerfed, as did marth, and everyone else got pretty evened out. The heavy characters are heavy, the light characters are light, most everything is right in the world, except for ice climbers, but what punk ***** uses them anyway. instead of cheaping it up with marth, who i have really only used in single player as a trump card, i have been using snake (who is the ****), ike (also the ****, he is ****ing godly, even his taunts kick ***) and r.o.b, and i'm picking up new people every time i'm at babac's.

The only problems i have is that ice climbers are still ****ing cheap, and ganondorf isn't as good. I like how he looked in melee, now it looks like he hasn't done anything until brawl but sit in a la z boy with a beer and a mustard-stained wife beater with a hungry man sitting on the table next to him.

Gravity

Smash Ace
i shall agree to disagree. to each his own. one mans trash is another mans treasure. and so on.

also it turns out chicks love huge trucks. atleast the ones at my school.

South_Paw

Smash Ace
Falco had his spike, as well as a strong fair
...lol?

Also, brawl will be no different than melee. Less gimping yes, but mark my words, camping will not change, it will only get worse.

try f-tilting someones shield with falco, its dumb, he recovers too fast and is way too far away for most characters to even consider doing anything.

brawl is the next melee, but slower

Top Bottom