• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Oklahoma Thread: Weekly events for all games in OKC and Tulsa

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
>_>

I feel like resurrecting my old post in response to Shanx's . . .

In all honesty, I can't think of that many Fox players that placed first in any national tournament. Anywhere. In any country. That includes Japanese tournaments, American tournaments, and European tournaments. Maybe Helios did, but I have a feeling he was always beaten by either Doug or EK until the newbloods started to rise up. And I guess Masashi did some regional winnings like the smash opera battles, but when the game started to develop, the scene was dominated more by Sheik/Marth mainers and Aniki's Samus.

The closest American one I can think of is MLG vegas, but that was won by PC who, I guess, you can say is a Fox player since his Fox is about the same as his Falco. But I think everyone considered him to be a Falco main at that time. Ahh . . . after that maybe mlg DC or something dumb back in 05 or something when Isai and Ken did Fox dittos?!?

Really can't think of too many dominant Foxes . . . And in the competitive scene today, most people who mained Fox . . . ended up maining someone else with the sole exception of Chillindude and I guess guys like Caveman and Forward who play Fox more often now.

Anyway, point is that a lot more than 1/5 of the cast is useable. Especially since a certain DK player mopped the floor against some of the nation's best space animal players, and Link/Pikachu/Pichu/Young Link/Doc/Ganondorf/Zelda/etc players (the unconventional ones who aren't supposed to win matches) are placing higher than a lot of the typical shine comboing fox players. Hell, I'd put money that more Peach players could break the top 8 in a grand national tournament right now if everyone represented just because of players like Cort, Vidjo, and Chris.

And Peach really isn't that nerfed IMO. Definitely not Marth . . . You can get away with out camping people with Marth SO much easier.

po pimpus

Smash Ace
...lol?

Also, Brawl will be no different than melee. Less gimping yes, but mark my words, camping will not change, it will only get worse.

try f-tilting someones shield with falco, its dumb, he recovers too fast and is way too far away for most characters to even consider doing anything.

brawl is the next melee, but slower
What this man said. There are people out there who live only to break games, Brawl is no exception. Once said gamebreakers are finished mourning the loss of l-cancels, wavedashes, and Peach, they will set out and destroy the tranquil peace of Brawl and unleash a new monster of technicality.

Also, after playing Babac and Chris in Melee the other day, I realized just how ****ing difficult it is to compete with Luigi... You all should either be ashamed(for losing to me) or in awe of how awesome I am(for kicking *** with Luigi) :laugh:

South_Paw

Smash Ace
thank you brandon, i agree completely... people that are willing to do whatever it takes to win (and yes, i will admit that i was not one of those, probably why i failed) will continue to do so, and it will take the same road as every competitive game

and luigi is still my main in brawl so far, lol

Omega_Star

Smash Lord
Iono, in Melee, sometimes I felt like the only reason I was separated from the "casuals" was because I had greater tech skill and knew advanced tech and combos. I'm not sure if I've ever felt too confident in my "mindgames" (since people have told me that I'm rather predictable; I don't question that, but I don't know how I'm predictable, either). If I beat someone, though, I want to know that it's because I played smarter than they did, not because I had exclusive knowledge. I really don't feel that my smartness as a player has been improving as much as it should throughout my career. I don't think I really notice patterns people exhibit when they play, but at the same time I like the idea of playing on a more cognitive level. Melee may have more options for that, but I guess I was never able to completely capitalize on those options, or even necessarily execute them.

I also have Po's problem of "wonky fingers," though on a smaller scale.

That, and I'm just taken by new things. That, and I want to actually play a Wii game on my Wii. And I'm an aesthetics *****.

I'm also a big proponent of "moreness." More characters, more stages, more gameplay options, more taunts, more music, more pixels... I'm a sucker for that stuff.

I also don't think that Peach has been nerfed as much as the Peach players are complaining about. I just think that she's a balanced character now.

I also don't think that Marth is as godly as everyone is saying. The nerf in his range, though rather small, is rather significant, as now there are more characters, such as Ike and apparently Lucario, who out-range him. I think that it's a good balance, though, cause I never liked it when I beat someone with Marth and then they went into the "Marth is cheap / I hate Marth" spiel, since it made me question my abilities, even though I use Marth because I genuinely like the character, unlike all the scrubs out there who choose him because he's good.

Just for you, Babac :p

I do kind of wish that they didn't nerf dash dancing, though, but I can deal with it. Tripping (it's actually more like slipping) is incredibly stupid and makes no sense at all (not even I trip when I run), except when it's from a banana.

I think that it's completely fine for someone to prefer Melee over Brawl or vice-versa. If there was an objective assessment of whether one was "better" or more fun than the other, we would be a rather dull people. I mean, Isai preferred 64 over Melee. It just reflects the diversity of the human mind. I prefer Brawl, but I can understand completely anyone's reasons for preferring Melee and see absolutely no fault in them.

Looks like I'm not gonna be able to go to the KC Gamestop regional tournament this weekend. Oh well, it was a nice dream...

Monshou_no_Nazo

Smash Journeyman
I also don't think that Marth is as godly as everyone is saying. The nerf in his range, though rather small, is rather significant, as now there are more characters, such as Ike and apparently Lucario, who out-range him. I think that it's a good balance, though, cause I never liked it when I beat someone with Marth and then they went into the "Marth is cheap / I hate Marth" spiel, since it made me question my abilities, even though I use Marth because I genuinely like the character, unlike all the scrubs out there who choose him because he's good.
I think Marth is overrated a bit as well. His range nerf puts him on par with other close combat characters, and he lacks projectiles. While the latter has always been worked around in Melee, this is Brawl's projectile camping metagame, so I doubt Marth will be top tier simply because of that basic principle alone.

N

ngwr

I'm new to the board and was wondering where the Oklahoma SSB tournaments are. I'd like to get into the competitive scene this time around. I live in the Ok City area. Is Dallas the closest town for competitive tournaments?

Omega_Star

Smash Lord
I'm new to the board and was wondering where the Oklahoma SSB tournaments are. I'd like to get into the competitive scene this time around. I live in the Ok City area. Is Dallas the closest town for competitive tournaments?
We host competitive tournaments in OK... every now and then :ohwell: I do believe that Dallas has the closest major Smash scene, though, yes.

Turns out that I might get to go to the Gamestop regionals after all.

Scud

Smash Apprentice
That would be sweet if more people came to Norman. The whole smash scene centralizing at OU! Wooo! Andy play SC with me, or will anyone else ever play (starcraft) :-O?

plasman

Smash Apprentice
So I definitely hate not being able to communicate directly with people while online. Sorry S.Kat/Dan/insert smashboards name, I was leaning back in a chair which decided it was about time to break. I also accidently taunted my G2G message on accident which probably didn't help the confusion. Anyways, sorry again.

3DS FC
5301-0744-1149
i have to say shanx that was the best opening statement ive seen about brawl even if u did have to say something about the ice climbers. dont mess with the IC's!

as for babac, how can you get mad at wasting time in class??? its like you actually wanna pay attention in school. who does that anymore!?!

Vegafuse

Smash Apprentice
C'mon guys, $5 mm in melee? I remember you guys were talking about other fighting games at Darq's smashfest, which I got a kick out of. If anyone here wants, I'll $5 mm in those games as well, hehe.

After my 2 sessions of Brawl, I love it. I'm so glad it's a lot different from competitive Melee though (so far...), which I will always enjoy as well.

RisingKen

Smash Cadet
Dude pablo is too good at EVERYTHING...
He's probably pro at Barbie Horse Adventures... lmao
I'm serious though.
I might have to $5 MM him in that. My stallion is bad ***.

Yeah, anyway, I read some of your posts and tbh, I don't think Peach changed that much. She seems to have been tweaked a little bit, but over all she's just more balanced.

Personally, I love Brawl. In my opinion, having to learn all those buttons to perform this combo or that combo made the game less fun. I felt like I was programming a game rather than playing a game. And now that Wavedash and L-Cancel is gone, you have to kind of rely on your mindgames and timing more than you do knowing when to push x amount of buttons.

That, and it makes it easier to fight you guys on an even level XD

King_Gt

Smash Journeyman
Hey Darq, are you still holding that smashfest this weekend?

Personally, I love Brawl. In my opinion, having to learn all those buttons to perform this combo or that combo made the game less fun. I felt like I was programming a game rather than playing a game. And now that Wavedash and L-Cancel is gone, you have to kind of rely on your mindgames and timing more than you do knowing when to push x amount of buttons.

That, and it makes it easier to fight you guys on an even level XD
I strongly agree with you blaine.
Playing melee slowly started progressing in that direction for me, I didn't like it, it WAS predictable, camping is not a mindgame, not a very high grade one anyways, which is why I believe that in brawl, people's mindgames will evolve, timing will be impeccable, many attacks won't "auto-cancel" or as I call it "finish" if you perform them too late, thus causing lag allowing your opponent to brutalize you, BRAWL WILL CHANGE THE WAY WE MIGRAINE FOREVER!
Now my mad mindgames will be what my wins will be from, as if my timing's not already insane
And who says gimping jumps is out? it's not, homing attack easily gimps second jumps and I spin dash back to the ledge and hog it, Zang-za-bam, shee-ah-kah-zing done
At least for Sonic

3DS FC
5301-0744-1149
yo plasman add me and ill add you....gt and omega im waiting on you guys to add me as well. im fighting po right now

plasman

Smash Apprentice
yo plasman add me and ill add you....gt and omega im waiting on you guys to add me as well. im fighting po right now
Alright, I added you. If I have a room going and I don't let you or anyone else in while the "SMASHWARS" thing is on my comment it's because I'm in a tournament match not because I don't want to play you :).

3DS FC
5301-0744-1149
no i dont live in moore now...but i did as of 8 months ago...i still go there frequently friends and parents...i live in sw ks...middle of nowhere

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
Can I stronly disagree with risingken and King_GT and raise a giant wtf flag as to what combos in melee you actually memorize?

Last time I checked, spacing, where you are on a stage, platforms, and DI sort of eliminate all of that. And if everything is as predictable as stated, why couldn't you dodge them? Chris predicts everything we throw at him all the time, and that's why he always wins. Same with Azen, Ken, M2K, etc. In fact, I'm sure all of us predict something will happen, it's just in every 1 vs 1, we take measures to avoid it.

Seriously, if I think Brett's going to come down with a dair, I dashdance grab him out of the lag. As for him, if he thinks I'm going to come down with an aerial somewhere, he'll time himself so he dodges right before I land and reverse SHL to catch me out of it so I'm caught by him. I really don't know any time when you are able to predict something in melee and can't counter it.

The only character in melee who could be caught in something and can't escape afterwards is Link/Peach/Falcon vs Fox's waveshine. But because of Shine DI, Links and Peaches can screw up robotic waveshines and get out of them. That's why whenever I go fox vs Chris, I usually only waveshine a couple of times and then hope I can go for an u-smash and then u-air juggles. But that usually never works cause HE PREDICTS what I'll do. And last time I checked, there are only two people (maybe three depending on what Pablo wants to do) in Oklahoma that'll play Captain Falcon seriously and have the chance to be counterpicked by Foxes. And I know at least for myself that if I get caught in a waveshine, I'll kick myself for being dumb enough to be trapped by it rather than saying "OMG I predicted he'll try to waveshine me!" and then ***** about how broken the game is when it was my own fault for being hit.

And for God sakes, I'm willing to bet right here that nobody else besides Po and Bryan can actually state other times when camping is a definite strategy. Po has experience because he's Luigi and people can outrange him. Bryan has experience cause he's Marth. What does everyone do that makes the game seem like it's overtly campy?? The majority of the matches in melee rely on prefect spacing, and since the SPEED and PACE of the game is so quick, you can't afford to stand in one place and camp. You can't. And if you did with projectiles or aerials or something, you'd be a ****** cause there are things called platforms as well as a built in feature on your controller (the shield and jump buttons) that allow you to negate that. If you seriously fall for camping in melee, it's not the game's fault. It's yours for not getting around it since there are so many options to get past it.

People's mindgames have already evolved. Timing is more than essential in melee, partly because PREDICTING your opponent is such a valued skill. In fact, the two things that are required for you to be a pro at melee, I would say, are timing and spacing. Don't believe me? Want to make an argument as to how camping and technicality reign in melee? Look at Brolly. The kid can't hit shield buttons and wins. He can't use advanced tactics and wins. Guess why that is? Meanwhile, look at DaShizWiz. Anyone who knows anything about smash will tell you the only reason why he's included in the upper echelon of players at this time is because he stopped focusing on being technical and played smart. His spacing improved dramatically, his combos weren't just shine based, he started spacing and using lasers more than all out blitzing with aerials, and the fluidity of his motions improved dramatically.

And I don't get the lag comment, since a major chunk of the punishes in melee relied on punishing lag. I don't know why that's a remotely new concept . . . That's why l-canceling and projectile cancels are prominent in melee in the first place. BECAUSE WE DON'T WANT TO LAG! You lag, you lose, end of story so that's a horrible reason as to why Brawl will be competitive since that's been ingrained since the 64. In fact, that concept is so basic, it was instilled in the first fighters that have ever been created.

Now that wavedashing and l-cancelling are gone, the only things you have to rely on is roll spamming and out camping your opponent. Just pick someone with high priority and ******** range and just out camp your way to victory. If you think melee was annoying in the fact that people with "quicker fingers" own your ***, then Brawl will be no different. Alex even said Cactuar admitted that the best mindgame in Brawl is to stand still and react. Why is that? Probably because the game doesn't allow ANY options whatsoever.

So strategy wise, in Brawl, you can manage to win if you just stand still and react. The purest definition of camping you will ever find in a smash game. Where as in melee, I'm still waiting for intelligent examples as to how the game was campy. And if people actually post "turnip spams" or "SHL!!!" then God help them cause in 2 months, they'll be losing to the same people again.

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
Also with that note and an apology to anyone I may have offended, here's my brawl friend code:

2578-3090-3481

I won't say I'll be on a lot, but if you see me feel free to hit me up. With my feelings of the game being what it is, you can't exactly say I'm excited about it. I don't really think any fan would feel ecstatic about Nintendo's blatant disrespect. But whatever. It's a 300 dollar investment, and I don't feel like wasting it.

KOS-MOS

Smash Journeyman
Can I stronly disagree with risingken and King_GT and raise a giant wtf flag as to what combos in melee you actually memorize?

Last time I checked, spacing, where you are on a stage, platforms, and DI sort of eliminate all of that. And if everything is as predictable as stated, why couldn't you dodge them? Chris predicts everything we throw at him all the time, and that's why he always wins. Same with Azen, Ken, M2K, etc. In fact, I'm sure all of us predict something will happen, it's just in every 1 vs 1, we take measures to avoid it.

Seriously, if I think Brett's going to come down with a dair, I dashdance grab him out of the lag. As for him, if he thinks I'm going to come down with an aerial somewhere, he'll time himself so he dodges right before I land and reverse SHL to catch me out of it so I'm caught by him. I really don't know any time when you are able to predict something in melee and can't counter it.

The only character in melee who could be caught in something and can't escape afterwards is Link/Peach/Falcon vs Fox's waveshine. But because of Shine DI, Links and Peaches can screw up robotic waveshines and get out of them. That's why whenever I go fox vs Chris, I usually only waveshine a couple of times and then hope I can go for an u-smash and then u-air juggles. But that usually never works cause HE PREDICTS what I'll do. And last time I checked, there are only two people (maybe three depending on what Pablo wants to do) in Oklahoma that'll play Captain Falcon seriously and have the chance to be counterpicked by Foxes. And I know at least for myself that if I get caught in a waveshine, I'll kick myself for being dumb enough to be trapped by it rather than saying "OMG I predicted he'll try to waveshine me!" and then ***** about how broken the game is when it was my own fault for being hit.

And for God sakes, I'm willing to bet right here that nobody else besides Po and Bryan can actually state other times when camping is a definite strategy. Po has experience because he's Luigi and people can outrange him. Bryan has experience cause he's Marth. What does everyone do that makes the game seem like it's overtly campy?? The majority of the matches in melee rely on prefect spacing, and since the SPEED and PACE of the game is so quick, you can't afford to stand in one place and camp. You can't. And if you did with projectiles or aerials or something, you'd be a ****** cause there are things called platforms as well as a built in feature on your controller (the shield and jump buttons) that allow you to negate that. If you seriously fall for camping in melee, it's not the game's fault. It's yours for not getting around it since there are so many options to get past it.

People's mindgames have already evolved. Timing is more than essential in melee, partly because PREDICTING your opponent is such a valued skill. In fact, the two things that are required for you to be a pro at melee, I would say, are timing and spacing. Don't believe me? Want to make an argument as to how camping and technicality reign in melee? Look at Brolly. The kid can't hit shield buttons and wins. He can't use advanced tactics and wins. Guess why that is? Meanwhile, look at DaShizWiz. Anyone who knows anything about smash will tell you the only reason why he's included in the upper echelon of players at this time is because he stopped focusing on being technical and played smart. His spacing improved dramatically, his combos weren't just shine based, he started spacing and using lasers more than all out blitzing with aerials, and the fluidity of his motions improved dramatically.

And I don't get the lag comment, since a major chunk of the punishes in melee relied on punishing lag. I don't know why that's a remotely new concept . . . That's why l-canceling and projectile cancels are prominent in melee in the first place. BECAUSE WE DON'T WANT TO LAG! You lag, you lose, end of story so that's a horrible reason as to why Brawl will be competitive since that's been ingrained since the 64. In fact, that concept is so basic, it was instilled in the first fighters that have ever been created.

Now that wavedashing and l-cancelling are gone, the only things you have to rely on is roll spamming and out camping your opponent. Just pick someone with high priority and ******** range and just out camp your way to victory. If you think melee was annoying in the fact that people with "quicker fingers" own your ***, then Brawl will be no different. Alex even said Cactuar admitted that the best mindgame in Brawl is to stand still and react. Why is that? Probably because the game doesn't allow ANY options whatsoever.

So strategy wise, in Brawl, you can manage to win if you just stand still and react. The purest definition of camping you will ever find in a smash game. Where as in melee, I'm still waiting for intelligent examples as to how the game was campy. And if people actually post "turnip spams" or "SHL!!!" then God help them cause in 2 months, they'll be losing to the same people again.
As much as I like to play brawl. I have to agree 100% with this post. I've noticed in brawl that you can be easily punished if you don't space right or use the wrong move that causes too much lag and you get screwed over because of it.

Technical skill plays a part in melee I admit, but look at Silentwolf(<3 Otto, the guys amazing and a good friend). His tech skill in melee was rediculous, but just because he had better techskill than me doesn't mean that he did better or was better than me. Sure it took me awhile to adjust getting comboed across the screen and losing track of my character (lol) but after a couple of matches I adjusted and was doing just fine. I hadn't played against someone of that caliber before and was unprepared and as Yawara previously stated, the same thing happend with Forward.

I didn't have godly techskill when I first started out. My hands and reaction time were a little slow but I wanted to get better. I would sit down and practice for like 4-6 hours a day doing waveshines and shine to SH D-air over and over again. My hands hurt like a ***** afterwards but eventually I got used to it. I WANTED great techskill since I was also lacking in the mindgames department.

Over the time, traveling and meeting new people and observing new playstyles got me prepared to face off against better people like Germ at OC3(I still could have beaten him.. grr).

Basically if you don't want to sit down and practice so you can be good at smash. Then don't be surprised when someone better than you comes along and starts beating the **** out of you. While browsing smashboards, I've started to hear a lot of people on the forums complain they don't want to practice yet the want to keep up with the pros. If you don't want to take the time to practice, don't complain.

Kuni probably remembers this but when he was better than me I told him that my goal in melee was "to be well known in the smash community." I wasn't going to get good by sitting around not doing anything. I had to practice ALOT. I was dedicated and thats how I got to where I am today.

King_Gt

Smash Journeyman
space saver
I'm not saying I knew how to dodge it, I'm just saying once I got hit, I knew what was going to happen.
Like if I were to play a good fox player, I'd be SHL'd till I **** up for one second, and then get waveshined into his infinite
A lot of combo videos looked the same to me, I saw some small differences in ways the combos were set up, mindgames, and camping, but that's all
Of course Scar's was a bit different with all his wall jump knee antics

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
Well, then what's there to complain? No offense, but players should know matchups well enough to understand exactly what to look out for. Anything less is just . . . bad play.

And number one rule in smash is to not learn from combo videos since most combos are one 1) bad players or 2) good players with dumb DI in non-tourney situations. And besides, most combo videos posted are by scrubby players who shamelessly try to get noticed by the community by posting half-***** vids of them beating up on their little brother. And the guys that post such videos only desperately try to memorize things they see good players do. Actual good players however make their **** up.

Maybe you'll notice that combo videos of good players feature things that result from their distinctive playstyles. You can analyze Forward, DSW, Lambchops, PC Chris, Zang and Zhu differently. Same with their combos cause their setups are different. Just because they all do shine -> dair doesn't mean their combos are all the same. Watch their matches, notice the change in playstyles.

Same with Falcon players. If I need to learn certain matchups, I watch certain players because playstyles change and determine the effectiveness of certain combos. See how SilentSpectre plays drastically different from Isai who plays differently from Darkrain who combos and plays different from Mach Dash who is not at all like Jiano whose falcon is dissimilar from G-regulate who, even though living in the same region, doesn't look at all like Scar's Falcon?

If it really was so easy to get the kind of combos you keep talking about, then why can't every player in Oklahoma do a dair -> 2x Nair -> 2x U-air -> knee? Is it because players are too smart for that, and you may be completely oversimplyfing the matter?

In fact, please tell me when was the last time a Fox player waveshine infinited you?

Omega_Star

Smash Lord
Hark, I am back from Tulsa.

Obviously I'm not at the Gamestop regional tournament, but things just didn't time out right, and stuff like that happens. I'm still kind of miffed that they sent me to KC instead of Plano, though :ohwell: I guess that means that I can start playing with a Gamecube controller full-time, though.

I really just want to play Brawl, though, even if it's just against a CPU; I haven't really played it in two days :dizzy:

Gravity

Smash Ace
you know i wanted to make a long post when i saw these last night, and i wanted to drag everything out and try to make a point.

but, i decided to let sleeping dogs lie and posted nothing. but since thats out the window, i might as well join in.

except i dont have anything to say right now.

ill just say the only reason i would go to "brawl"fests is for a social, aspect of seeing people or to play melee. i dont feel like spending my hard earned gas to go play it.

Monshou_no_Nazo

Smash Journeyman
I play Brawl online. Online will likely be a different competitive scene and divided between areas of the country due to latency. As for lack of combos. I actually agree that lack of combos punishes players that attack campers, but the only way I can think of around it is to rely more on individual hits more and try to take advantage of the knock back, as well as use damage racking moves, as well as projectiles if I have them (I hate to say that). This brings me at great risk of being punished, but it's the only way.

Omega_Star

Smash Lord
So I keep having dreams in which CDs appear and I try to grab them. My life is going to feel empty once I've collected all of the CDs ._.

I added you, Irish.

I actually managed to get in quite a few With Anyone online matches in that had relatively little lag. However, the last one had some of the worst lag I had ever seen (out of nowhere, too) so I dropped out.

Hazygoose

Smash Lord
solve this over the brawl boards, or on all-is-brawl, or on AIM. let's clean up the OK boards and have it be about OK smash again? :\
please? i don't llike reading such long posts QQ

Top Bottom