• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Oklahoma Thread: Weekly events for all games in OKC and Tulsa

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
Someone should hit up Denti's question especially cause we'll probably need housing next week :D

Also, now we got Yawara, Bryan, Karl.

Solidusspriggan

Smash Journeyman
Back in 2007 all the melee players started playing brawl, then they started playing melee again, you missed the wave, but perhaps its the normal maturation phase for a melee player.

Lets play Project M! Its the best of both worlds, they need to release a new build.

KOS-MOS

Smash Journeyman
So I'm getting an ES 300 Lexus. Hopefully it will last me for awhile. Also I'm looking forward to 4 stocking Coty with Link...and Jigglypuff

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
Last time we played, Coty couldn't handle my Mario so I'm thinking of downgrading to Bowser or Roy.

HOLLA COTY

DualCats

Smash Ace
Last time we play, Coty ***** me with Falco for 30 minutes until we went to get tacos or something.

Solidusspriggan

Smash Journeyman
Damn I'm really good at pissing people off on BBS quite accidentally. I think its because a slow and inarticulate medium for communication, so I can say one thing, it can be misinterpreted and refuted before I've even completed the follow up thought, but its fast moving enough that if you don't say what your thinking quickly, it will be irrelevant.

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
The **** uses BBS anymore?

Also last time I played Coty, his Falco specifically got wrecked by Mario HOOLLLLLAAAA

[edit]

Also, just FYI to whoever out there's interested, since Sony is discontinuing the PSP GO, like certain sams clubs are selling them for really friggin cheap.

like, some stores are selling PSPs now for $58. <_< I heard that Dallas prices are around the 70s right now.

Solidusspriggan

Smash Journeyman
Not to rain on your parade, but its still a better deal to buy a used PSP 1000 or 2000 for around 100 and borrow/ buy used/ or hack it to DL all the games.

The psp go only allow you to play purchased DLC, so the "deal" ends up costing you more in the long run (no bargain bin, used, cheap, borrowed, or pirated titles.) This means even buying 3 games will cost you the full price of a PSP!
Additionally, this means you can't play any of the "disc only" games.
You can hack the PSP Gos as of recently, but I don't know the process so look into it before purchasing.

Its the worst gaming product sony has ever released, I wouldn't even take one for 20 dollars.

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
Well, that's the whole point of the price drop, but because it is hackable now, I though that it'd be worth the look in.

But who knows, maybe it's total ****s so I should just stay away lol

Also hype for this tourney, tomorrow I'm gonna scout out people to go to Dallas with me HOLLLAA

Gravity

Smash Ace
aight, i want to go that dallas tourny but i have work johns. find a tourny over 4 weeks away that you want to go to and ill ask off.

also, im totally down to play brawl. i think its fun and will improve my melee game. . .also http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qbM5ZYzFAQ

after the double/triple fair/dash attack combo, i can apparently reverse up-b to dair/bair.
sounds awesome.

i want to start playing smash more, and better. it seems like recently everytime i get complacent with my melee game i discover/unlock some sort of new mindgame set or like punishing options or whatever.
so yeah who wants to get better with me?

oh yeah ywara/carl i found this: its probably old news and/or worthless but i thought it was cool: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2cOUEL9uic

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
I'll beat your Samus with Bowser on Mute City anyday.

[edit]

Also that battlefield trick really isn't useful cause to do that instant grab, you're actually vulnerable during the double jump and the up-b. It's better just to understand how to sweetspot backwards. Also the only reason why it works during the Bowser flame is cause he grabbed the edge first and used ledge invincibility, not cause it provides it so it's the same as just fastfalling and then DJ to regrab the ledge.

[double edit]

u suc

Solidusspriggan

Smash Journeyman
Dude my minecraft server which runs in the background on my desktop since november has hundreds of members, like 50 worlds, and they made youtube videos of it! This all happened without me knowing.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query="solidus+server"&aq=f

here are some smash bros related sprites, I made the little metroid above samus, last thign I made.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsY7YAkbif0&feature=player_detailpage#t=163s

This one features the city named after me as well as some sprite art. Sometimes they send me prayers or praise in email when something goes wrong, they call me lord and god, they have a roleplay thing.
They recently lost their best admin and I had to go do social damage control.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPwLJ4MflLE&feature=related

There are some insane worlds there now, one thats full of "megastructures" giant items built, one that has an imperial star destroyer, and one with a temple that is rainbow colored and the height of the sky.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlIH_tB76Z0

Falcoty

Smash Apprentice
Last time we played, Coty couldn't handle my Mario so I'm thinking of downgrading to Bowser or Roy.

HOLLA COTY
So I'm getting an ES 300 Lexus. Hopefully it will last me for awhile. Also I'm looking forward to 4 stocking Coty with Link...and Jigglypuff
I'm coming for you ****ers...

Last time we play, Coty ***** me with Falco for 30 minutes until we went to get tacos or something.
Ironically, Falcoty doesn't play Falco anymore ;)

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
So Christine's brother just sold me his PSP for like 50 bucks, now I need lots of games for it.

Does anyone have a hacked PSP with lots of games so I don't have to download like 90 gigs worth of data before being able to play anything?

Solidusspriggan

Smash Journeyman
So Christine's brother just sold me his PSP for like 50 bucks, now I need lots of games for it.

Does anyone have a hacked PSP with lots of games so I don't have to download like 90 gigs worth of data before being able to play anything?
IF ITS NOT UPDATED DONT UPDATE!

I have like 7 or 8 games scattered about my harddrives.
Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker, Blazblue, Guilty Gear, Dissdia 2
James Bryan the Science Lion has probably like 20.

I also have a private torrent site that I can throw you an invite too that keeps the newest PSP releases.

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
Tight, it's on 6.35 which is the version that every other PSP hacking site recommends, and it's running everything smoothly.

The only game i've managed to DL is like Crisis Core, waiting for Peace Walker, but aside from that it's just Cave Story and scattered ROMs.

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
Ahhh, I want the invite, but La Quinta Inn's internet is *** and kicks me off every hour and a half so I don't think I can keep up with my ratio now :/

I'm just gonna use Demonoid for now, but I'll hit you up later. is it the black catz torrent site?

[edit]

Yo Forest, just to let you know, my girlfriend's brother wants to start a gaming website with some of his buddies, and he asked me if I wanted to write for it as well as doing media things. If they actually start writing, I'm gonna try to hijack the site as a highlighting site rather than another review site cause i think we can hit a better niche that way. But long story short, if I do get to hijack, wanna write with me?

I wanna really change the site's direction to a "Games we care about" thing that puts spotlights on games that, for whatever reason, have a hold on us/our audience. Also if you know anyone else interested cause I really want a spread out team for this, that'd be tight too.

[edit 2]

Also, I wanted to create a site for highlighting anime/manga too because I don't feel like there's a review site one online that manages to do so effectively, at least for the pretentious audience. I think that's a market that needs to be hit upon, and I think that online, it's difficult for people who enjoy reading *good* manga to express their thoughts relevantly since the majority of people who do read manga/watch anime are awful weeaboos. I also think that people who do enjoy these forms of media tend to be either lazy stoners or introverted because they don't want to be associated with a crowd of 30 year olds who still fantasize about being Goku. I also think that many times, other than in non-popular forums, many people who enjoy these types of manga/anime can't draw attention towards them since everyone else who could potentially enjoy reading it is too busy keeping up with naruto.

I think that if we go about it in this way, we can create a site that acts as a crossroads for an intelligentsia interested in video games/anime/manga. By highlighting "_____ we care about" rather than just review everything out there and trying to play catchup (which, for us, probably wouldn't be possible anyway).

The site I'm envisioning would be one where a diverse group of gamers, anime fans, manga addicts, etc get together and just spotlight the things they care about because they appeal to them on some sort of level. Whether it's technically, aesthetically, whatever, the point is that I want a team that's willing to put themselves out there by releasing various articles to catch a steady readership of individuals who agree with us.

Afterwards though, I think we should then transition the site to allow these readers to openly participate with us with a sort of thumbs up/thumbs down system--for both the article as well as the games. I think we should allow for as much feedback as possible, and I think that the site itself could really develop into something that serves as a wonderful little lexicon for highlighted games. That way, unlike other traditional sites that allow user scores, we'd just do what youtube's basically doing and just allow for an (IMO) more accurate like/dislike ratio.

In other words, I think the problem with a lot of review sites is that individuals don't actually understand how to rate things empirically for the most part while fanboys will just give maximum scores regardless while haters are going to hate. Obviously, these will skew averages in certain directions which then leads to inaccurate recommendations.

But ya, that's the site I'm envisioning in its essence. However, what I'm going to need to pull it off is clever, expert writing as well as a full on media assault. There needs to be youtube videos, writing, eventually livestream playthroughs, facebook/twitter accounts, etc. I feel like any website now that relies on passive word of mouth as opposed to aggressive all out audience steals isn't going to anywhere. That's why per article, I want there to be detailed but concise, humorous but conclusively serious and genuine video reviews as well as more flushed out written articles for people who wish to delve.

I also think that if this were to be a reality, we'd need to expand the staff past Oklahoma, cause the more diverse the staff, the more different the highlighted materials will be, and the greater audience we'd attract. What I want is for our readers to follow their favorite writers on the site. Understand what tastes they have, recognize similarities/differences, and then create fan bases from there.

So ya, those are really my big two snags. The first is just creating a large enough staff. The second is just formatting for this site, cause I don't understand how the layout should be. It's going to be article/media based, and I really want it to become like the Pitchfork of videogames/anime/manga, but I don't know how we'll condense it effectively. ionno.

Maybe the best way is to make it seem like a New York Times or something in formatting. An E-magazine/newspaper that publishes these sorts of articles religiously.

DualCats

Smash Ace
okay, guys. Shit just got real. Due to some sort of horrific family emergency sort of thing, I'm probably going back to AZ really fucking soon. But I'll probably be back in the Fall. I'm still not 100% sure what's going on so I have to be kinda vague about it but the important thing is that I 3-stocked Bryan.

DualCats

Smash Ace
It's nothing really serious, just a series of terrible coincidences. Basically, my sister totaled her car and my parents are about to leave on a trip to Europe. They need both someone to take her to work and to house sit, and she can't do either without a car. And even though that's only a for a few weeks, it's easier just to stay in AZ until next semester.

po pimpus

Smash Ace
Karl, handle your business and we'll see you again soon.

Yawara, I love that idea. I'd love to write for something like that, but I think my niche would have to be something like an op-ed... I'm far too opinionated to just write objectively, and I also have a 'man-on-the-street' vibe that lends itself better to editorial articles.
Also, as 'old man gamer' as I can be sometimes, it might be best to have me write articles on those wonderful games of yesteryear that this younger generation has never gotten the chance to play... People like Shade who have never even touched an NES, for example, have NO IDEA just how far gaming (and its subculture) have come along in the last 25 years.

Didn't mean to go for so long, but after seeing your post, my mind was stirred a bit.

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
Ya Brandon, I know exactly what you mean, and I also recognize that the community of yesteryear needs to be embraced.

If you're up for it man, by all means help out. In fact, this isn't supposed to be an exclusive project. The only problem is I need to, first of all, convince these people to give me creative control over this project. After that, it's just up to them to format the site which will take I don't know how long. But the guy apparently just graduated doing web design, so who knows, maybe 3 months? In that time, I'm sure it'll be decent enough time to at least get our writing craft down, maybe not video as much, and I'm not sure if we can keep up with a rapid enough pace to constantly release, but so long as it's steady, we can build to that staff.

And if you wanna be real, that's fine man, be real. My style of writing though will be to appeal to people's senses, make them feel what I felt, and maybe stir up some of the nostalgia or the same emotions people felt when playing the things I write about; or allow them a chance to feel those things by exposing those things I've felt.

Solidusspriggan

Smash Journeyman
Hey Yawara, I have always wanted to start blog with exactly this sort of perspective, but I've never been motivated to write for it. If this project is realized, I would love to write for it. My focus would of course primarily be on gameplay mechanics and action titles.
In some similarities to Po, I have a sense of nostalgia that I believe is also coupled with lament of what I perceive as the waning quality modern games, but my approach would be one of comparative history and a kind of functionalist philosophy more than nostalgic reminiscence. Of course if I were to reflect on my personal experiences following the games, these would be markedly more emotional, as I tend to become deeply emotionally connected to many games. Through these juxtapositions of analysis and experience, I feel I could provide an interesting insight into titles that I'm playing.

While you might not be able to tell from online interactions, I am actually a well trained academic writer. (put those 7 years of college to use eh?)
I have the ability to write articulately, analytically, and descriptively.

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
Also I wanna say that I've got a couple more game ideas that need flushing out.

One is like a $15 PSN download where you play as a pidgeon soaring through replicas of real cities, able to find tourist spots with flower like gameplay in a sandboxed world but the scale would be completely different cause you're a pidgeon, and you're flying around the US. The gameplay would be sort of like item collection and exploration as well as doing side quests for other pidgeons that specifically ask you to go to certain tourist destinations or locally loved places.

The idea behind this is that if you can get actual cities to help fund this game in an effort to increase tourism or to get out exposure, then you could realistically raise enough money for this project and release it to the mass public for DL. At the same time, local places can offer up money to further develop the area that they're in (like if you're a famous local restaurant looking for tourist dollars) so there'll be quests catered towards those areas.

Also, as a pidgeon, I want the ability to cause mayhem for the hell of it to be allowed so there'll be a poop button, and flying around people causes them to freak out. But with real weather effects, seasonal and time changes, you should be able to really enjoy certain cities or at least areas of cities. I want it to be beautiful and intuitive, and I want a multiplayer option where you can take on co-op challenges/missions.

The other game I wanna make is a survival horror game where you aren't armed but your chaser is. It's basically a game where you and three other friends are trapped along with other persons with a mass murderer, who is unnamed, but kills not from brutish strength or mystical might but with cunning and intelligence. So to avoid being slaughtered yourself, you have to do the same. I want the killer to be able to cut off lights, deceive players, use tools to complete his means. And at the same time, the players have to successfully dodge and defend themselves.

Also because there is no weapons in the game, the only person in the game with the ability to kill at range then would be the mass murderer. My idea is to create a realistic scary scenario designed to envelop the player in these situations. The premise should be believable, and individual characters are designed to have certain fight or flight stimuluses. I also want like when characters are scared to have actual thoughts recited out to confuse the player. Like should you hide under the bed, go behind the shower curtain, stand by the door and hope to knock him out, etc.

Basically, I had a nightmare yesterday, and I wanna recreate that scenario as a game. Like a for some reason you're trapped somewhere because you're on vacation on a cruise ship or you're locked in some sort of gigantic building. The point being though is that you're also trapped with other people who you don't know if you ought to trust, but the ones you're certain you can trust are the friends you brought along with you--though that may or may not be true as there will be doubt casting moments. The only thing you are certain of is that to survive, cooperation is needed to either apprehend the killer or to hold out until you escape. Randomly killing people though results in general mayhem for everyone in the building, so just trying to accuse and kill wouldn't work.

Also, I want there to be a feature where players get mic'ed up and can communicate with each other, but with every sound they utter, the computer characters react. So if you're hiding in a closet and say something, the killer recognizes your hiding spot and reacts to that. Same with other NPCs who will either try to reach out and join with groups or become paranoid and spring to attack.

But ya, that's what I've been thinking about.

I really wanna play a game where I get to poop on people and fly through cities.

Top Bottom