• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Oklahoma Thread: Weekly events for all games in OKC and Tulsa

Solidusspriggan

Smash Journeyman
SRK does in general. Dustloop not so much. I post a thread in homingcancel.com off topic about smash and got some great feedback and encouragement! Only 1 ******* troll that didn't understand the game at all and he got warned. I think Miizumi feels our pain and as such are pretty friendly dudes. Miizumi hosts wikis for "games you've never heard of" doujin fighters, oldschool games, and other quirky titles.

Dude Chozo talk to any brawlers you know about Saturday. Chuck and Afro are coming down, want to see brawl players from OKC/Norman giving them a challenge.

Gravity

Smash Ace
well, i wont be able to enter bracket but ill totally show up after work for some chillin and friendlies.

also does anyone want to play melee and/or AH like, tuesday night? or maybe wed before union melee?

Triforce Of Chozo

Smash Ace
Just put flyers and **** in the dorms, we don't have active Brawl players here. There's like four of us in Norman who play, but I mean I'll let some of the other people whose numbers I have know about it, no guarantees they'll show. Somebody tell kpeezy and gmo about it, I don't have their info.

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
The fliers in the dorms are prohibited I think cause I tried to do that once and got a **** storm thrown at me. But then again, that also wasn't a school sponsored event where as this is (I think?).

Either way, right now the best thing to do is just to network, and if I were you Curtis, I'd be aggressive and approach everyone, give out your number take their number, and after this tourney man send texts, call people, invite them to play with you or Josh regularly. Pick them up if you need to cause actually offering rides is like the most effective way probably.

Also, for Brawl, gotta recognize that in every building, there are casuals that play that game daily. We just need to emphasize them having fun with us to get them out.

Solidusspriggan

Smash Journeyman
You just have to add "accomodations on the basis of disability" clause and then give them the fliers (their office is the housing office at the bottom of Walker tower) and they put them up for you under all the glass bulletin boards. If anyone asks say your with the Animation Society. I don't have time to make a flier right now, but if you make a flier, even a ****ty black and white one that you print out in the computer labs with your extra prints that said:

Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Melee, and Arcana Heart 3
Saturday April 30th
in the Sooner Room at the Union
Registration 12:00, $5 venue fee + $10 dollers per Tournament.
For accommodations on the basis of disability, call (405) 464 5348

Yeah, if I saw smash bros fliers when I was in the dorms 6 years ago i'd have been ****ing ecstatic. During monthlies I want to sit down and talk with as many people as possible about scene building, and what you can do if you want your scene to grow. Pretty much reiterating what Yawara and Smokemaxx have told me recently. I know we could have 50 or 60 people showing up at these things if people were go-getters.

If no one can do that then, whatever this month, sadly school is out next month but we will have one ready for next semester. Sorry the personal issue that many of you know I had all throughout march really just destroyed any schedule I had. I have an incomplete in school and ****.

Solidusspriggan

Smash Journeyman
Anyone know TOs for the following areas?

DFW Brawl ?
DFW Melee (DoH/Wobbles)
Witchita Brawl (The Real Inferno)
Witchita Melee ?
Amarillo Brawl (Dakpo)
Amarillo Melee ? even a scene here?

Mother ****ing Stillwater? There is a college almost as big as ours, if they don't have 50 kids playing smash then IDK who does.

Just looking at people within 3 hours that might want to jump over to monthlies later in the summer. These are mostly a local affair but there might be some demand. I think that Kansas isn't running theirs any more, and DFW didn't seem to get their circuit going yet.

DualCats

Smash Ace
I'm probably not going to go to Norman two nights in a row. I'd have to stay there Tuesday night and miss school and I don't think I want to do that. @__@ I'll plan on showing up on Wednesday for now. Depends on my homework/finals situation but I'm pretty sure I can be around that night.

Hazygoose

Smash Lord
there is no wichita melee anymore :\ although i still talk to a couple of the guys.

stillwater and tulsa combined have to have so many ninja smash players. i'm sure there are even people at OU we haven't tagged yet. if anyone finds some genius way of contacting or appealing to these people, i will cook you a feast.

Gravity

Smash Ace
well, im not too sure when ill be free but def by 8. ill call/text you when i find out for sure.

your place or mine?

Solidusspriggan

Smash Journeyman
My place is better since its my brothers playstation and I feel bad taking it all the time.

Also, anyone interseted in Lawrence Kansas tournament on May 7th? AR is gonna be there with MO too. Cool people.
If we take a little bit of that Monthly money for gas and get house should be cheap and legit. I might even drive!

po pimpus

Smash Ace
Now THIS is the kind of discussion an Oklahoma Thread should have: People networking, trying to contact other players, looking for ways to inject new blood into the scene.

It's funny how I have to make everyone upset in order to get the ball rolling, but if trolling is what it takes to grow this scene, then I'm about to go full-on David the Gnome style troll up in this piece...

I'll see you boys on Saturday, but I probably won't make the brackets because of work. Good job Forest, for picking up the slack and getting things going again. Shout outs to Alex as well, and all the rest of you bums know I love you...
Josh, I wasn't trying to rub you the wrong way. I like your enthusiasm and your concerns are valid. I just want to see everyone playing at their full potential and having a good time of it, like the old days.

Solidusspriggan

Smash Journeyman
Yeah PO I know there is more than Pablo and Chris there. There should be a bigger scene in OKC than norman population wise.

Also, get us a family dollar sponsorship. Smashers poop alot and the need toilet paper and some of their favorite activities include munching on snacks! Prime opportunity! Actually I don't think that value stores like that advertise at all...like abercrombie, all word of mouth.

Also everyone think about May 7th ks tourney. M2K and Ensis gonna be there for brawl. I'm just down to play Peef and Hondofoo some more and hang with tight AR crew. Saber Guy wants to talk about Saber Gaming there too.

Zinth

Smash Apprentice
God, school is terrible, though if wouldn't be so bad if I had taken Data Structures last semester. Electronics Lab blows, and analog circuitry is boring as ****. I wish I was a CS major right now, but at least I now plan to go CS for my accelerated master's.

I wish I had those pills from American Dad! that made it so you didn't have to sleep.

I think May 7th is on the weekend before finals week? Not a good time to go to an OOS tournament at all, at least for me.

After finals week, though, I could probably go to a tournament almost every weekend if I wanted to.

Solidusspriggan

Smash Journeyman
After finals week, though, I could probably go to a tournament almost every weekend if I wanted to.
Lets do it bryan and become beastly at teams. I'm serious about i've been thinking about knockback and grab setups, idk if they are worth practicing and trying to land or they should just come out randomly.
I just have to have a fluent japanese conversation for my final. I think I'm going to get a B in the course no matter how well I perform on the final.

if Yawara is down for the 7th then so am I. I've never met Nebraska and Iowa people so that might be cool.

Also maybe I can beat Peef this time.

In the meantime. I definitely need setups for this weekend turnout I'm afraid might be higher than expected because of Brawl interest.
Can people please bring them? I also need to get some of those TVs from Andys if thats cool. Ricky took his TVs and I don't have car insurance so I can't go get them.

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
I was hoping that lots of people would go on the 7th though since lots of people wanted the tourney pushed back. <_<

If it's not that many people showing interest, I'm fine just having a huge Oklahoma smashfest at some dude's house all day. Plus I still have to distribute all my goodies.

KOS-MOS

Smash Journeyman
I really want to play Alex and Yawara in Smash :x

EDIT: I can bring a copy of Melee and Brawl, but TVs are out of the question.

DualCats

Smash Ace
I was hoping that lots of people would go on the 7th though since lots of people wanted the tourney pushed back. <_<

If it's not that many people showing interest, I'm fine just having a huge Oklahoma smashfest at some dude's house all day. Plus I still have to distribute all my goodies.
I might be willing to go. I'll have to see what my schedule looks like but if I can be back by Sunday evening, I can probably make it. I'd like to have at least 4 people in my car if I drive, though. After a brief assessment of my schedule, I don't have any finals that monday so I'm in the clear.

In other news, I'm make progress in getting some casuals to play with us. This one fellow got my ICs down to one stock. Granted, it was Brinstar but he's got THE FUNDAMENTALS™. He techs and dash-dances and ****, too.

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
What we need is all the new guys to play with each other while we mentor their progress.

Obviously, mopping the floor is out of the question since that's just absolutely discouraging, but creating even level competition is probably the most ideal thing for us.

BTW, what's everyone's summer plans? And I need a job, someone holla at me

Top Bottom