• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Okay, U-air stalling officially deserves its own topic.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
A2Zomg MK also has a bad matchup against DK IMO
I guess the chart says so, but I highly doubt it since DK doesn't have grenades and his recovery is still bad. He's also a huge target, which sucks since MK is good at comboing.

And -NaPPy if you really want to argue about Snake, you can go IM Teh Spammerer since his AIM is in the opening post, and you can go read this post too
since the BR pretty much agrees Snake has trouble vs other campers.

Now the only thing I'm wondering is if diminishing returns actually affects the wind part of the U-air to any degree.

ShadowDigo

Smash Cadet
I just love the Uair, and it works wonders on team battles, where you can save your friend from the death by pushing him upwards.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
lol. and you did'nt answer my ? A2ZOMG I wanted to know who this guy is? And maybe i'll talk to him then...
Go do that. I don't want to derail topics too much at this point. =P

Well teh_spamerer was a NJ (I think) professional back in Melee days... if that means anything. He doesn't really like Brawl but plays it anyway for the tourney rewards.

I happen to know about him since I've been around him at an FE community, but dunno about you.

omegablackmage

Certified Lion Rider
oh yeah btw, say your playing against a toon link and they are recovering to the stage. Make it seems like your going to try and go off and hit them, which may prompt them to use their up b early, in which case you grab the edge (to avoid getting hit). Then when they are floating back down to the stage, hop an up air to give you more time to set up for a smash, or maybe annoy them enough to push them to the edge to edgehog.

Souleater666

Smash Rookie
My friends love to spam dair with Toon Link but I love using this attack to counter it. None of my friends pick Toon Link anymore if they see I'm using G&W. This is also great against lightweights like Kirby. I KO'd him up once at 0% with just the air when he jumped.

Mr. Game and Penguin

Smash Apprentice
Speedsk8er, why the heck is he- oh, yeah, the greenhouse makes it look like he's *******, but still. Anyway, how the mutha@&%# do you get around metaknight?!?!?!?!? I hate his freakin' balls and he sounds like he took all the steroids in the world and dropped his balls 9inches whenever he talks in that unbelievably low bass tone. Gosh, screw the little *** with the mach speed-swor-
I'm sorry guys. I'm sorry to the meta fans out there, but omfg, G&W vs. Metaknight is like crazy.........................and is total hell for the G&W..............

wazgood

Smash Ace
Using UpA in the Air as an Effective Move

It stalls nicely if timed properly, and I'm wondering why no one uses this trick. I think it would be fairly effective as a damage builder for your other moves, especially if you short hop out of and up a next your opponent.

Neb

Smash Lord
Yeah, I've incorporated SH uair into my game, it has little lag after its animation so it combo's nicely out of moves. Plus, if you use if right--say you u-tilt a bit, then SH uair, you can place your foe in front of you in a short hover animation just a tad above the ground, perfect for punishment.

St. Viers

Smash Champion
ppl didn't know this? wow

btw, my best time with this was killing a folcon who side Bed, got confused, and continued DIing sideways a *bit* too far to autograb the ledge

EDIT: I learned the refresh part when playing someone's d-air happy DK, and actually managed to kill with the f-air after juggling for awhile.

G&W is so nice ^_^

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Yeah I know, all of the G&W guides just say U-air stalling is for teh mindgames.

Actually it's for CAMPING. IMO this gives G&W one of the best camping strategies in the game, since if it's done right it really can't be punished.

napZzz

Smash Hero
Anyway, how the mutha@&%# do you get around metaknight?!?!?!?!? I hate his freakin' balls and he sounds like he took all the steroids in the world and dropped his balls 9inches whenever he talks in that unbelievably low bass tone. Gosh, screw the little *** with the mach speed-swor-
I'm sorry guys. I'm sorry to the meta fans out there, but omfg, G&W vs. Metaknight is like crazy.........................and is total hell for the G&W..............
I've given up on this match up. I just pick snake usually or another character that can beat him.

I have a ?. Does the actual uair move ever stale? Does it stale if spammed to where it cant refresh anymore? Or does it stale its abilitie to refresh your moves...

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
How to explain, well when you refresh other attacks with one attack, you can do this until all your other attacks are refreshed no? Each hit of an attack counts equally towards diminishing returns y'know.

I highly doubt super armor would be able to go through U-air stalling honestly. Even autofastfall D-airs get stopped by G&W's U-air.

napZzz

Smash Hero
this move keeps my dsmash fresh! Its too good! Almost on the same level as snakes mortar slide lol.

cutter

Smash Champion
How to explain, well when you refresh other attacks with one attack, you can do this until all your other attacks are refreshed no? Each hit of an attack counts equally towards diminishing returns y'know.

I highly doubt super armor would be able to go through U-air stalling honestly. Even autofastfall D-airs get stopped by G&W's U-air.
SA won't go through Uair. Only invinciblity can. Besides, Marth/Ike's counters won't do anything as well.

Kaizo

Smash Apprentice
wow this is amaz......wait I've already EEEEEFing known this for months, why are you guys just posting about this now? The only thing that is particularly new to me is that it has its own move degradation which doesn't affect the upward thrust, but does restore other degraded moves.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
I didn't know that spam actually talked to people on the boards. (He and I are in the same crew)

JrdnS

Smash Ace
i was wondering why my attacks never seem to stale. haha.
now im wondering is uair better than bair.
is he blowing a trumpet or using his lips?

napZzz

Smash Hero
g&w has no lips silly. Its the same as his neutral a combo thing. But people jus be callin it a trumpet.

Neb

Smash Lord
Could someone answer me this? How does uair actually refresh, do you have to hit with the hitbox, or just the air, I'm still a bit confused about its initiation.

cutter

Smash Champion
Blowing with the air is technically stall. The actual attacks is well... an attack. Maybe I didn't understand your question quite completely Neb.

It would be cool if someone would undertake a guide for Uair. All these miniguides we're doing are actually really helpful. :)

Top Bottom