• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Oil Panic! (A Bucket List and Strategy Guide)

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
For your "Releasing the catch" Section you NEED to add using the bucket After releasing your shield. This is the smartest time to use it. Someone attacks you, you shield it, release the shield, then bucket.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
Alright, I'll add it as soon as I can, meaning, not at the moment xP
Is it powershield exclusive?
Or can it be done via regular shield dropping?

Thanks for the addition, nonetheless, and thanks to everyone who commented.

Lag

Smash Journeyman
lol taunt to bucket...hmm might be crazy, but it just might work...they'll have their guard down thinking "yeah, he taunts, i attack"...then boom! one stock down.

overall excellent guide, even in the work in progress stage.

Neb

Smash Lord
Haha, Taunt Bucket, I bet that could actually work as a pretty neat mindgame punisher.

@Esc.
Hey, nice job on this guide. Its looking alot cleaner.
I just thought of it, but maybe up-b -> bucket release, just a suggestion, haven't tried it out myself. But it seems it'd be pretty easy to pull off.

anar9kis

Smash Rookie
I've never missed dthrow to oil panic, afaik the oil panic comes out too fast to be avoided. Has anyone gotten out of dthrow-oil panic?

omegablackmage

Certified Lion Rider
neb, in the air the bucket is considerably weaker, so that might not be the best of ideas. Speaking of, escalator do you have that even mentioned in the guide?

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
I did a quick test in the training room, and using it in the air didnt affect it's damage output or knockback at all. This may just be because of training room. Could someone do some testing with this Online and in regular play?

napZzz

Smash Hero
this guide is too good...rofl I never thought of taunt to bucket its perfect!

GenericKen

Smash Cadet
For connecting with the bucket, iirc, the hitbox on bucket lasts a lot longer than any character's air-dodge, which means that if you can roughly match DI with an airborne opponent (the hitbox and priority are huge), they can't really avoid it.

Does anyone have any real world experience on playing doubles with the bucket? With most doubles partners it seems impractical, but a G&W paired with a Fox could fill that bucket pretty **** fast for a high priority, high reliability bucket spam.

napZzz

Smash Hero
from you a dthrow your opponent can always di and end up behind you (even if they dont tech)

Phatgamer1

Smash Lord
For connecting with the bucket, iirc, the hitbox on bucket lasts a lot longer than any character's air-dodge, which means that if you can roughly match DI with an airborne opponent (the hitbox and priority are huge), they can't really avoid it.

Does anyone have any real world experience on playing doubles with the bucket? With most doubles partners it seems impractical, but a G&W paired with a Fox could fill that bucket pretty **** fast for a high priority, high reliability bucket spam.
I do have tournament experience with bucket spam in teams when I was teamed with a Lucario player. It was brutally effective because when the other team knows you have a bucket ready, that immediately puts you on the defensive. Also, my teammate and I realized that if he had someone in a grab and I used my oil panic, depending on what controller slot he was using, would hit him instead of the opponent. So for anyone that may want to know, to be able to hit the opponent and not your partner when you use oil panic, I was in the 3rd controller slot and he was in the 4th controller slot. Didn't have any problems after that.

DarkStraw

Smash Apprentice
ive done GW+Zelda in teams :) it owns. zelda just fires her dins fire at your enemies, disregarding the fact that your there and you bucket it as much as possible. You get hit sometimes, but usually so does the person she's aiming for. its also pretty easy for her to throw you a dins fire to bucket when she's free.

napZzz

Smash Hero
ive done GW+Zelda in teams :) it owns. zelda just fires her dins fire at your enemies, disregarding the fact that your there and you bucket it as much as possible. You get hit sometimes, but usually so does the person she's aiming for. its also pretty easy for her to throw you a dins fire to bucket when she's free.
lol I do this all the time. And zelda is pretty good in brawl too so its not like your getting a crappy partner.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
I personally prefer Pikachu. His projectiles are quick, and just as powerful as Zelda's.
But Zelda isnt a bad teammate at all.
And the controller port = Big win.

Expect an update soon.
Possibly two new sections if I get around to it.

and of course some revisions and maybe some pictures :D

Amide

Smash Lord
Awesome guide! I especially liked this bucket strategy:
_
Taunt -> Oil Panic

This **** wins tourneys.

napZzz

Smash Hero
I personally prefer Pikachu. His projectiles are quick, and just as powerful as Zelda's.
But Zelda isnt a bad teammate at all.
And the controller port = Big win.

Expect an update soon.
Possibly two new sections if I get around to it.

and of course some revisions and maybe some pictures :D
wow pika is actually a really good idea. He's fast and hits hard and combined with g&w they are probably pretty unstoppable. Toon link is actually really good too because his projectiles can keep opponents away and g&w can rush in and IDK me and my friend just work well together I guess.

PinkPwnageFrenzy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PinkPwnageFrenzy
Also, my teammate and I realized that if he had someone in a grab and I used my oil panic, depending on what controller slot he was using, would hit him instead of the opponent. So for anyone that may want to know, to be able to hit the opponent and not your partner when you use oil panic, I was in the 3rd controller slot and he was in the 4th controller slot. Didn't have any problems after that.
There was a thread devoted to this, but with explosions. I didn't think it worked with the bucket, good stuff.

anar9kis

Smash Rookie
yeah they can DI behind you after the dthrow... what about grab-release to oil panic though?

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
ACK!

I was going to make this an amazingly huge update, but just writing out the technique section took a lot out of me. Expect the miscellaneous section to see completion soon! The media section is last on my to do list, but I also expect to get that done relatively soonish; I want to start requesting a sticky xP

There are still some combo's needed to be added, and I have all the screenshots done for the current combo's, I just havent got them up yet.

now this is a pain...

Stale Moves.

I think I learned something to day when I went out to test stale moves out of the training room, and that is, my bucket list is quite inconsistent. In absolutely ideal conditions, with the stale move queue cleared of Mario's Fireball and of Oil Panic, the damage actually reaches 46%! This drops quickly, though, and for everytime you've released the bucket, Oil Panic does three less. This isn't a big deal, as you wont be releasing multiple Oil Panics in a short time.

The problem is the projectile being stale. The lowest I got Mario's fireball was like 19 when completely stale! If you want Oil Panic to be as effective as possible, you have to avoid getting hit with the projectiles as much as you can.

Making Neb's guide an important asset to Oil Panic usage.

Kirby's projectiles will be listed in the Misc. Section.

I plan on having a video showcasing everything possible to absorb, one to demonstrate the combos, one for the techs, and possibly a combo video. Game Set! Haha, I have big plans for this!

Soooo
What do you all think so far? Missing anything? Typo or error in an explanation? Something you want to see added? Some way to make the guide more aesthetically pleasing?

Thanks for everyone's help!
When I get more time I'll cite who provided what combo or tidbit and what-not.

Neb

Smash Lord
Guide looks really nice, Mr E. All I could really offer at the moment is maybe a splash of color for the headings (names/whatever), white tends to be a bit stale. Everything else is solid, I already used bucket-stalling, but the boost ledge jumping is pretty interesting, I'll have to work on it. Say, if you get the time, could you snap me some pictures for my cancellation guide, please? Its kinda hard explaining how exactly you need to angle everything without pictures.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
Sure thing Neb!
You're going to have to PM what you want for each picture, though. Say, if you want a picture of the Dash attack canceling PKT2, or maybe the Uair blowing up a Bomb towards link. If you don't have a preference on whats in the pictures, I'll just snap some noticeable Projectiles being canceled.

Yeah, I was avoiding color in the early parts of this guide because I didnt think I would make it so long. It was originally JUST a bucket list. Now that it's a long-*** read... erm, a strategy guide, I might as well get some color worked in there.

Neb

Smash Lord
Sweet!
Thank you, and I'll PM you the details in a bit, this is going to help alot.

Lol, I didn't think so much info could spawn from one move, you brought a lot of things to the light. But yeah, its in need of a bit of color, thats about it though. So whats your combo vid going to be about, bucket stuff, or something completely separate?

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
Im definitely interested in starting combo videos in general. I'm set on making one for my DK first, and saving the last one for G&W. The combo video that I'll be listing in this guide is probably going to be a compilation of all sort of bucket maneuvers. I have good footage from recorded matches, and some replays that I like. I dont know when Ill get the time, but I want to have at least one entertaining video in this guide!

I'm also going to revise the intro with Pro's and Con's, and be more descriptive, if I can.

So yeah, I'll be waiting for your PM!

Neb

Smash Lord
Oh, you play DK, well thats news, lol, cool! But yeah, we're in need of some G&W combo vids, kinda dry in that department. Don't forget to post some video links of some of your matches in the G&W theater so I can add you in.

PKSkyler

Smash Lord
I have a question that i hope you G&W pros can help me with.

There is a doubles tournemant this saturday, i will be using ness while my partner will be using g&W. We have been practicing endlessly and we are ok with bucket combos.However, is there anything you can teach me/us or give me some hints on? Thanks in advance.

Neb

Smash Lord
I'm pretty sure I've done manhole->oil panic a few times before.
How exactly? I'm almost 100% sure that manhole no longer flips people vertically, but horizontally, and for the most part out of range for an oil panic combo.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
Well...
maybe against the wall?
Otherwise I'm unsure of how you managed that one.

And can someone look into stale moves for me?
In training mode, it does 42 damage with Mario's fireballs. It can do more if the fireballs are unstalled in normal play. What I think is that the training room damage is right, but if its the first time you use a move, aka its not on the stale move queue at all, then its actually STRONGER than normal.

But yeah, I would like someone else's input on this.

Moosecalibur

Smash Apprentice
Well...
maybe against the wall?

In training mode, it does 42 damage with Mario's fireballs. It can do more if the fireballs are unstalled in normal play. What I think is that the training room damage is right, but if its the first time you use a move, aka its not on the stale move queue at all, then its actually STRONGER than normal.

well, in training mode it completely negates stale moves so it might be weaker in normal play......just a thought :ohwell:

Neb

Smash Lord
Well...
maybe against the wall?

I'll test stale moves if you wan't me to, then give you a chart of what the damage ratios are.
How many times does an attack have to hit in order for it to become "stale".

well, in training mode it completely negates stale moves so it might be weaker in normal play......just a thought :ohwell:
So your saying in training mode, there is no staling moves?

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
Yeah, training room's moves do not stale. Ever. From this, we get the basic attack power of a move. Though, as I've said, Oil Panic can actually do MORE than the basic damage, leading me to think that a move is stronger on maybe the first hit before being added to the stale attack queue. Basic damage is probably achieved after the move has been put on a single time to the queue.

Thanks a ton Neb! It's a pain to have to unstale moves in regular play, so It would turn out to be pretty time consuming.

The stale queue is like 9 moves long, but theres no thread going indepth on stale moves.

I'll be getting your pictures up soon!

Neb

Smash Lord
Np, Escalator, I'm gonna go work on them in a sec since I'm free at the moment.
So nine moves= stale, gotcha, is there anything else I need to know?

PS- Sorry about double post, we posted at different times, :/.

Top Bottom