• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Oh dear lord, Overswarm has been given a trial by the gods

Anther

Smash Champion
I don't think your meta will have a better matchup against my Pika than your Rob does =9.
But if that time comes, we'll see ;p.

Kirby M.D.

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, after lurking about in various fighting game communities and after the "Everyone play Snake lol" phase of Brawl, I'm not so sure about jumping on the no Meta bandwagon.

He's **** in a can yes and at this point goes advantage against pretty much every character but hey, it's not 10-A Meta every match. There have been rapetastic characters in well respected fighting games (Eddie in GGXXand #R, Ky in GGXX/, Chun/Ken/Yun in 3S, Sent and Cable in MvC2). Remember that Brawl is still a relatively new game and Meta is very user friendly. Meta is insanely good, but he's been the most popular tournament character since day 1. Unless nobody can beat an MK without using MK he doesn't deserve a banhammer. Folks were saying the same thing about Shiek and Fox back in the day if memory serves. Not every Melee tourney was Fox/Shiek now were they?

Come back to me when Meta is whoopin' everyone like Shiek whoops the bottom tier in Melee.

EDIT: This is not a defense of Metaknight, just a call to rationality.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Er... MK does whoop the bottom tier like Sheik did in Melee.

Also...

yes.

Every Melee tourney was Fox/Sheik for a long time, and then it became Fox/Sheik/Marth with a few Falcos, Falcons, and Peaches. >_>

null55

Smash Master
Please tell me who solidly COUNTERS snake.
Falco is pretty much a Snake counter.

And am I the only one here who just really likes playing with MK? I think he's fun as ****. But it seems like a lot of people seem to play him because he's good, even though they consider it boring, and others just refuse to use him competitively because he's overused.

JhMS

Smash Journeyman
Well,now Overswarm has joined the dark side.
Sh¡t on meta.Overpowered gay character.
The thing is people like Azen and Futile still keep winning a lot of tournaments without using Meta.
So there are no reasons to ban him....yet.
Still,sad to hear the news OS :(.And lol with the gay tag.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
MK is only fun in the sense that he absolutely devastates most opponents... but he's pretty linear and doesn't take a boatload of thinking (about approaches/finishing options/etc) compared to most other characters.

Sudai

Stuff here
I dunno. I would main MK if ROB weren't so much fun. I really don't play to win either though, it just so happens that I do really well at the tournies I've been to. I find this game too ****ed fun to worry about playing to win. I actually enjoy fighting all the MetaKnights too. I've practiced with Lee's MK (He beat M2K in a MK ditto in one of the 3 of their set during FAST, so props to Lee. XD) so much that all the other MK's I've fought are ******** easy. I dunno though, I understand people's "play to win" mindset and I understand people's "playing for fun" mindset. I hold values from both. Like..I won't play MK cause I don't enjoy him, but love ROB, but I play to win in the aspect that I'll do the DTilt wall lock if I get the opportunity.

Basically though, I hate when people complain about MK or anything else. Yes MK is much better than the rest of the cast, but if you really care that much, refuse to enter tournies where he's played. If you play in tournies with him, it's your fault, so no complaints.

Rh1thmz

Smash Journeyman
this thread is becoming a mk discussion thread...
lol...might as well join in, then...

I like Meta Knight's persona in the games that he's in, and I play him because I like the character. I kind of wish that he wasn't so overpowered in Brawl, though. Then, I'd feel a little better about playing him, without people saying "MK is gay and overpowered, blah blah blah." All of this kind of makes me wish MK was mid-top tier.

GenesisJLS

Smash Journeyman
lol...might as well join in, then...

I like Meta Knight's persona in the games that he's in, and I play him because I like the character. I kind of wish that he wasn't so overpowered in Brawl, though.
That comment smells like a BS. Maybe if we start complaining posting enough, we can eventually get Meta banned.

Ryan-K

Smash Master
melee took skill and fox/falco/falcon could get gayed mad hard if you know what you're doing

mk is impossible to gimp off stage in fact he is at an advantage off stage because of his up b, plus only falco can chaingrab him and he doesnt die from the spike

its much easier to fight fox/falco with a low tier in melee than mk in brawl. noob foxes are actually FUN TO PLAY because he can get exploited unlike MK

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
i cant beleive OS gayed us and gonna use mk now.

well im def now maining MK second snake and third ROB. my cast ftw!

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Think of us as a tribe of ROB mains... but the horrible horse riders from the north keep coming into our village and beating the **** out of us. So I take one of their horses and plan on beating the **** out of them and everyone else until God decides horses are imbalanced and doesn't allow them on planet Earth anymore. Then I'll be back as a full fledged ROB main rather than a guy with ROB in his pocket.

JonBeBonanza

Smash Lord
Think of us as a tribe of ROB mains... but the horrible horse riders from the north keep coming into our village and beating the **** out of us. So I take one of their horses and plan on beating the **** out of them and everyone else until God decides horses are imbalanced and doesn't allow them on planet Earth anymore. Then I'll be back as a full fledged ROB main rather than a guy with ROB in his pocket.
T_T

You basically got corrupted. I get where your coming from though, although not to the same extent.

Well...
I wish you luck with your new horse.

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
This reminds me of the last season of Angel where it looks like Angel has gone to the dark side but is actually only pretending to be evil in order to kill all the key members of the Circle of the Black Thorn and go out in a blaze of hellishly glorious glory.

That's what this is, isn't it? ISN'T IT?!

Overswarm

is laughing at you
This reminds me of the last season of Angel where it looks like Angel has gone to the dark side but is actually only pretending to be evil in order to kill all the key members of the Circle of the Black Thorn and go out in a blaze of hellishly glorious glory.

That's what this is, isn't it? ISN'T IT?!
Well my ultimate goal is to win so convincingly that everyone else around starts maining MK or MK gets removed surgically from the game by Sakurai himself.

Also, who watched Angel?

Mr.E

Smash Lord
I would've watch Angel for the same reason I would watch women's gymnastics?

I'm still planning on taking the alternate route and using ZSS or DK against the likes of MK and Gaymanwatch. /flex The problem is that I don't actually have anyone to play against in person and thus can't really "practice" this sort of thing until friendlies at actual tournaments. Too little too late then, at least until the next time...

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
I'm sticking with R.O.B. and Ganondorf. Maybe a little bit of Bowser, but I suck with Bowser and don't seem to be getting much better with him.

Meh.

Rh1thmz

Smash Journeyman
I, myself, am a MK mainer, obviously, seeing my little character head next to my username in this post. And even I have come to hate playing MK.

MK is extremely user-friendly. It's just as someone else in this thread said themselves:

You can get good with MK in about an hour (barring matchup experience)... it's pretty ******** how easy he is to learn.
And it's 100% true, too...that's the sad thing. This is, in my opinion, a major flaw of MK...not a flaw of his fighting, obviously. Although it still takes a good amount of experience to play him to his full potential, this amount of experience is a much lower amount than the amount of experience required to play any other character effectively. This, compounded with his highly superior speed in contrast to all other characters (another one of MK's flaws unrelated to fighting), grants him a level of superiority to all other characters. This superiority is a huge magnet to noobs looking for an easy path to victory. His superiority is also a magnet to Johners like this:

Yeah, Snake has weaknesses and bad matchups. Several characters counter or do well against him. It's not like MK, where not a ****ing single member of the roster can stand a chance in hell.
And like this:

Sh¡t on meta.Overpowered gay character.
People are so bent on MK's demise that things like this are said and executed:

Well my ultimate goal is to win so convincingly that everyone else around starts maining MK or MK gets removed surgically from the game by Sakurai himself.
So, basically, it's not socially accepted to play MK. I don't blame you people. If a character that I didn't play made competition a LOT less fun because everybody, noobs and pros alike, played him, I'd be pretty annoyed, too. But, in my opinion, if someone can't even play their ACTUAL favorite character without fetching a bunch of lip about playing the "overpowered gay character," that's just dumb.

For the longest time, I thought, Wow, wouldn't it be so awesome if Meta Knight would become a character in Brawl? He's a ton of fun to play in that special mode in Kirby: Nightmare in Dreamland. And he's so mysterious and just B.A. in general... When I saw on the Dojo that MK was a newcomer, I flipped. I thought, I'm SO maining him when Brawl comes out. But now, every time I play MK, I think of all of this Johning, and his "overpoweredness," and I think, Is it really worth it to play MK anymore? In my opinion, this is just a pathetic situation. It shouldn't be happening. What if R.O.B. was the one in the overpowered seat? What if R.O.B. was really easy to pick up and start playing? Would you all be quick to switch off from R.O.B. to whoever else, or would you actually keep playing R.O.B. because you like him? Or would you be just as mad that all of these noobs starting to play the, in this situation, easy-to-pick-up R.O.B. are making you seem like another "overpowered gay" R.O.B. player, no matter how skilled you really were?

Would you all be so happy to slam the banhammer on R.O.B. in this situation?

Great, now I'm the one Johning. This is just dumb...

Anyways, I'll try to get to the main point now. This whole situation just seems lost and hopeless to me...it's just made of 110% fail. The hatred for MK will continue, no matter who posts what. And the people who play MK because they truly enjoy him as a character will feel like it's a sin or something to play their favorite character. I expect flaming on unreasonably high levels coming in my direction for even posting this. Someone will pick on a slight nuance of my post. Someone will look for a flaw in my wording (which there are probably lots of) and shoot down my post and keep the hatred alive. That really doesn't matter to me. Go for it. This post is going to fall on deaf ears. I just wanted to say that it's pathetic beyond reason that I can't play my main anymore without hearing constant *****ing and moaning from everyone else. We've all heard it tons of times. We all know how you, the community, feel about Meta Knight.

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
If R.O.B. was far too overpowered, I wouldn't be opposed to banning him.

Honestly.

But I don't think MetaKnight is overpowered enough to be banned.

lain

Smash Master
I can see it now:

OS goes into the next MW circuit event, picks MK, gets 2-stocked, and goes back to ROB immediately.

Happens to everyone.

:colorful:

thumbswayup

Smash Master
I'm becoming much better at the Diddy vs MK matchup. OS, I'll beat yours so badly you'll have to go ROB to stand a chance :p In all seriousness, I hate you.

edit- LMFAO JK

indianunit

Smash Journeyman
Metaknight shouldn't be banned.

Regardless I'm going to go to great lengths to fight Metaknight so I can be ready anytime I vs. him.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
I'm picking up G&W for MK, and only for MK. Of course in MD/VA that means I'll be using him about half the time.

waks

Smash Journeyman
Pick up Yoshi for MK! LOL :D

(No pun intended for Yoshi users reading this)

But as Ive read, he stands a good chance. Though, I havent really seen the match up. (I mean, high level match, unless I just dont know where to look, and who uses who)

MuBa

Smash Lord
Wow...People are going to have a secondary just to kill MKs (either that or main them)...this reminds me of Yu-Gi-Oh TCG where people make a side-deck just to specifically go against that certain archetype.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I find it amusing that people are trying to find secondaries to fight MK across teh board. I understand if a ROB does it... but EVERYONE does it. Normally it'd just be those with bad matchups.... A DK would say "Man, I sure am having trouble with these Sheiks" while a Falco would say "Jeez Laweez, Marth's chain grab and edgeguard is owning me, who should I secondary". It changed based on the character you play... but now it's just who to use against MK. Weird. O_o

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
I find it amusing that people are trying to find secondaries to fight MK across teh board. I understand if a ROB does it... but EVERYONE does it. Normally it'd just be those with bad matchups.... A DK would say "Man, I sure am having trouble with these Sheiks" while a Falco would say "Jeez Laweez, Marth's chain grab and edgeguard is owning me, who should I secondary". It changed based on the character you play... but now it's just who to use against MK. Weird. O_o
Is it really that surprising? MK is almost every character's worst matchup.

Top Bottom