• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Often a strange adventure of all-star battle; PlayStation 3 fighter trailer goes live

Spire

III
BRoomer
Thing is, if it wasn't Smash Bros, I seriously doubt that most Gaming news outlets would come to the same conclusion that it WAS Smash Bros.. For example, My Nintendo News (in their first article) speculated it was about Smash Bros, IGN speculated it was about Smash Bros., and through a Twitter search, about 4 other news sources speculated it was about Smash Bros.

From what I've learned in the Pokemon community (I am a mod of the Poke Center), news outlets have definite connections to the inside and get information first. Serebii Joe from Serebii.net confirmed the final evolutions of the Gen V starters before anybody else and has also waited to announce information he had until Game Freak confirmed it officially.

Basically, if it wasn't about Smash Bros, Namco got a **** ton of news sources giving false or misleading information, and they're hurting themselves if it's anything but. People are either going to be 1) Disinterested because it's not Smash Bros. or 2) Pissed because it's not Smash Bros.. Not sure anyone is going to go "WOW! I totally expected Smash Bros, but this is cooler!". Not with a franchise that has been so well-established.
Word .

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Thing is, if it wasn't Smash Bros, I seriously doubt that most Gaming news outlets would come to the same conclusion that it WAS Smash Bros.. For example, My Nintendo News (in their first article) speculated it was about Smash Bros, IGN speculated it was about Smash Bros., and through a Twitter search, about 4 other news sources speculated it was about Smash Bros.

From what I've learned in the Pokemon community (I am a mod of the Poke Center), news outlets have definite connections to the inside and get information first. Serebii Joe from Serebii.net confirmed the final evolutions of the Gen V starters before anybody else and has also waited to announce information he had until Game Freak confirmed it officially.

Basically, if it wasn't about Smash Bros, Namco got a **** ton of news sources giving false or misleading information, and they're hurting themselves if it's anything but. People are either going to be 1) Disinterested because it's not Smash Bros. or 2) Pissed because it's not Smash Bros.. Not sure anyone is going to go "WOW! I totally expected Smash Bros, but this is cooler!". Not with a franchise that has been so well-established.
hmm... I am tempted to agree with this. while it makes a good point, I still don't believe that this is about SSB... there's some kind of misunderstanding about all this... could be wrong though.

well, what am I just saying? we're just less than 1 day to find out...

Spire

III
BRoomer
Judging by the numbering of the panels (and Sakurai's statement about quantity v. quality), I bet there will be 40 characters with 11 newcomers. With 29 veterans, who will we see?
  1. Mario
  2. Luigi
  3. Peach
  4. Bowser
  5. Donkey Kong
  6. Diddy Kong
  7. Yoshi
  8. Wario
  9. Link
  10. Zelda
  11. Ganondorf
  12. Samus
  13. Zero Suit Samus
  14. Pit
  15. Ice Climbers
  16. R.O.B.
  17. Kirby
  18. Meta Knight
  19. Dedede
  20. Olimar
  21. Fox
  22. Falco
  23. Wolf
  24. Captain Falcon
  25. Pikachu
  26. Jigglypuff
  27. Marth
  28. Ness
  29. Game & Watch
Think that's a safe list of to-be veterans.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Namco: Bandai! The American's think that this site is for the next smash Bros! But we haven't even started work on it yet!
Bandai: What!?! They will be mad when they find out this is for the sequel to our hit series Nautilus Horse Carriage Adventure
Namco: Exactly. Why haven't more people heard about that?
Bandai: I know it is so addicting.
Namco: Stay focused man! What I'm trying to say is that we need to ditch the Nautilus project and start getting some work done on the next smash bros!
Bandai: But Horse Carriages! There were gonna be dates!
Namco: I know...I know...
Bandai: *snifflez*
Namco: There's no time for tears. Imagine if Nauty the Nautilus saw you like this. Be strong...for him.
Bandai: *sniffs* Al-...Alright.
Namco: Now lets get some work done on smash bros...for Nauty...
Bandai: For nauty?
Nacmo and Bandai: FOR NAUTY!

Spire

III
BRoomer
Plural nautilus is nautili. Spelled differently but phonetically identical, it is not a lie. Everyone knows this is Smash Bros., they won't lie to us! The cephalopod said it himself!

Morsel

Smash Rookie
Doesn't it look like the cow (or whatever you think it is) is eating something in that last hidden panel? Notice that they don't include the whole animal's face, which could mean they wanted to put the emphasis on what's happening in the picture.

I still have no clue what the Brawl intro sunrise, aquarium tunnel, and nautilus could mean

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
Meta-Kirby knows his ****.

Spire, good list, although I suspect we won't see all of the Star Fox reps showing up again. I can't determine if they're going to chop Falco or Wolf, though; they're equally uninteresting. Maybe both?

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
Personality wise, or gameplay wise?

Because personality wise, Falco's the only starfox character I actually like as a character.

Wolfs alot funner to watch though in competitive play.

My money would be on Wolf though if they had to cut one.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465

More like game journalism is a crappy medium. Seriously, there is little to no fact checking amongst any of the major gaming press sites, even IGN, as large as they are. There have been many instances of false rumors perpetrated throughout places like Gonintendo (one of the worst offenders of this), IGN, Gamespot, 1up, etc.

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
Thats...pretty flimsy. They wouldn't be excluded just because they're gay.

Besides. Some people believe falco's gay too, dude. He said something along the lines of "I'm not interested in girls" in a comic book titled "Farewell, beloved Falco." Really, he just meant "A relationship would distract me" but ya know. People read way too into things.

Just add ghirahim or whatever his name is. He's plenty gay.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Ghirahim never really does anything homosexual.

And just ignore it Nick, these people are literally crazy.

M.K

Level 55
More like game journalism is a crappy medium. Seriously, there is little to no fact checking amongst any of the major gaming press sites, even IGN, as large as they are. There have been many instances of false rumors perpetrated throughout places like Gonintendo (one of the worst offenders of this), IGN, Gamespot, 1up, etc.
Fact checking in which sense? Rumors are rumors and are definitely marketed AS rumors most of the time.

This isn't simply a rumor, this is a continuation of a series of news stories that has been leading up to a possible Smash Bros. public reveal.

The general order of events:

1) Smash Bros. announced for 3DS and Nintendo Wii U
2) Sakurai announces work on Smash Bros. not to start until Kid Icarus Uprising released
3) Kid Icarus Uprising releases.
4) Sakurai states work on Smash Bros. just starting, fans not to expect anything for a while.
5) Sakurai states he enlisted help from Namco Bandai for Smash Bros. 4.
6) Namco Bandai creates teaser site.

Besides the series of events, Namco Bandai does not have any project in the pipeline that matches anything related to "All Star Battle". So we've got three possibilities:

1) Namco Bandai has created a teaser site for Smash Bros. 4
2) Namco Bandai has created a teaser site for their own trademarked All-Star Battle series.
3) Namco Bandai has created a teaser site for a new created project (can't think of the word right now, whatever Mario/Pokemon is to Nintendo, creative license? Is that it?)

#2 is insanely unlikely. By already working on Smash Bros. 4 (confirmed), it would be unwise of them to create a new project to directly compete with their own creation in the gaming market. #3 is possible, but as I stated earlier, this has come at a very pivotal and appropriate time in the Smash Bros. 4 development process to warrant any type of separate Namco Bandai release irrelevant.

EDIT: Not to mention that I have found news articles in at least five different languages (English, Spanish, French, Japanese, and Italian) all speculating Smash Bros..

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium

Ha. I knew you'd show up.

Oh no no, i'm not saying he IS gay.
I'm pretty sure there was no scene in zelda where Ghirahim went "Hey Link, did I ever tell you I suck ****s?" But i'm just saying i'm sure some people think he could be. From what i've seen, the dudes extremely fruity.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Fact checking in which sense? Rumors are rumors and are definitely marketed AS rumors most of the time.

This isn't simply a rumor, this is a continuation of a series of news stories that has been leading up to a possible Smash Bros. public reveal.

The general order of events:

1) Smash Bros. announced for 3DS and Nintendo Wii U
2) Sakurai announces work on Smash Bros. not to start until Kid Icarus Uprising released
3) Kid Icarus Uprising releases.
4) Sakurai states work on Smash Bros. just starting, fans not to expect anything for a while.
5) Sakurai states he enlisted help from Namco Bandai for Smash Bros. 4.
6) Namco Bandai creates teaser site.

Besides the series of events, Namco Bandai does not have any project in the pipeline that matches anything related to "All Star Battle". So we've got three possibilities:

1) Namco Bandai has created a teaser site for Smash Bros. 4
2) Namco Bandai has created a teaser site for their own trademarked All-Star Battle series.
3) Namco Bandai has created a teaser site for a new created project (can't think of the word right now, whatever Mario/Pokemon is to Nintendo, creative license? Is that it?)
Fact checking in the sense of differentiating between a rumor and the collective musings of the internet.

Secondly, it's called mass hysteria. It's people wanting to connect dots that do not exist, or trying to bend completely unrelated circumstances and try to support their idea of what's happening. The truth of the matter is that this "All Star Battle" is a Namco property, it was trademarked all the way back in early April alongside Project X Zone. If this was Super Smash Bros, they would not be the ones registering that trademark. Super Smash Bros is Nintendo's game, not Namco's. Just because Namco is helping them develop the game does not mean they have any more legal say than simply as a collaborator. If that were the case than Game Arts would have been registering Super Smash Bros. Brawl trademarks since they were a primary developer for that game.

#2 is insanely unlikely. By already working on Smash Bros. 4 (confirmed), it would be unwise of them to create a new project to directly compete with their own creation in the gaming market.
Capcom does this all the time, it's not something new.

#3 is possible, but as I stated earlier, this has come at a very pivotal and appropriate time in the Smash Bros. 4 development process to warrant any type of separate Namco Bandai release irrelevant.
No, it has not. Super Smash Bros has barely even had four months of solid development, and from what Sakurai himself has stated, it is going to take some time before we hear anything.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Here is what I have to say: If this is truly Smash Bros. related, then why is this not on Smashbros.com? Both 64's and Melee's homepages were originally smashbros.com before they were replaced by their sequels. Plus I looked at all the games that were published by Nintendo but developed by Namco and/or Bandai, including:

Donkey Konga
Donkey Konga 2
Donkey Konga 3
Mario Kart Arcade GP
Mario Kart Arcade GP 2
Mario Superstar Baseball
Mario Super Sluggers
Star Fox Assault

All of them except the two Mario Kart games had their official websites on a Nintendo page, not Namco and/or Bandai. So this tells me the idea of this being Smash related seems very unlikely.

And like I said earlier, "All Star Battle" was trademarked in April. And I doubt that Sakurai (or even NB) has gone far enough in development to actually have something ready right now either.

Pseudomaniac

Smash Journeyman
I must say, regardless of whether it's Smash-related or not, this was an expert marketing ploy on NB's part, what with all the hype and controversy.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
I must say, regardless of whether it's Smash-related or not, this was an expert marketing ploy on NB's part, what with all the hype and controversy.
That I will admit. I'm still interested in this enough that I want to know what the hell those random pictures mean on the page. If it's Smash, then I'll of course be satisfied but if it isn't I'll just move on with my life.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist

Don't be fooled by Ghirahim's fabulousness. He's 100% for the ladies.
The starfox villains though are explicitly portrayed as homosexual in the japanese games.
Panther Caroso and Leon being the most implied. The rose in japan is like the rainbow in america. Symbols ajoined with homosexuality. Panther constantly portrayed with his Rose. Leon is voiced in the japanese version of a gay accent.

HAPPY 4th of JULY!
The surprise will be revealed tonight!

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
Here is what I have to say: If this is truly Smash Bros. related, then why is this not on Smashbros.com?
Because it's a teaser site. If it really is Smash, then they obviously don't want to spoil the surprise of it

I still think that this could be it because of the timing of this teaser site. It would be kinda weird to announce that you're working on a Smash Bros game, only to then soon afterwards tease an entirely different "All-Star" type of game

No use in arguing over it, though, we'll know for sure what this is very soon :cool:

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
Don't be fooled by Ghirahim's fabulousness. He's 100% for the ladies.
The starfox villains though are explicitly portrayed as homosexual in the japanese games.
Panther Caroso and Leon being the most implied. The rose in japan is like the rainbow in america. Symbols ajoined with homosexuality. Panther constantly portrayed with his Rose. Leon is voiced in the japanese version of a gay accent.
Didn't Panther have a thing for Krystal threw out the series? Panthers a lady man, fo sho.

ItsSilverLPs

Banned via Warnings
man, wtf is this teaser?
A cow nose, does this mean that Harvest Moon characters are going to be featured in SSB4? lol

NickSF93

Smash Cadet
Namco Bandai wished us a happy 4th on facebook.
I replied with 'It better be smash you *******s'
but yeah joking aside <4 hours until update woo

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
Namco Bandai wished us a happy 4th on facebook.
I replied with 'It better be smash you *******s'
but yeah joking aside <4 hours until update woo
Happy 4th Smash Bros. game, that is. :smirk:

EDIT: Ah HA! The date of liberty. Independence day. July 4th. What number sequel is the next SSB gonna be? The 4th. :3

Kirbunny431

Smash Journeyman
Only four hours until we learn the truth.
I'm not holding my breath, but I'm still hoping.

NickSF93

Smash Cadet
It may be only 3 hours, but yesterday it updates somewhere around 8:30 pm EST, so its 5:23 here now...

A motion picture away.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
It's set to update at around 9AM Japan time (8PM EST, 5PM PST)

-DR3W-

Smash Champion
NNID
DrewTheAsher
I wish I could figure out how they correlate...we'll see. Smash news always leaves ya wondering...

Top Bottom