• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official "Who is going to return?" topic

Iggy K

Smash Ace
WhenJigglypuffsAttack said:
Here are my thought s on everything. First of all I agree that every one who says young link, ganondorf, falco, and dr mario need to be redone, but I don't think they should go. I laugh at everyone who thinks shiek will be booted, because she kicks ***, shes fast, and she IS one of the best. I also disagree with people who say pichu should go. Pichu is a lot different than pikachu. One of my friends mains doc and pichu. I don't see shiek or luigi getting booted, so I have nothing to worry about, but if they take people away nintendo is going to leave people with alot of disappiontment. My other friend mains with roy/ marth and secondaries ice climbers. Personally, I think ice climbers and mr. game and watch are the two most unique characters in SSBM, I haven't seen anyone put up a good, definitive reason why they should go. I know doc is LIKE mario but alot of people like the slower, stronger version. In my opinion doc gets the job done alot better than mario. Bowser is a little iffy to me as well as peach so in my opinion they should take them away if anyone, because I think mushroom kingdon is sort of dominating. I think they shouldn't add to the mushroom gang anymore, but people from games like earthbound, metroid, kirby (by the way I'm thrilled that they have metaknight), maybe legend of zelda, if they can't come up with good people to put in it.

So I see everyone coming back, but I hope my favorites aren't booted if peopl are taken out.

P.S. Anyone who want to have mewtwo booted is out of there mind, especially those of you who say he is a samus clone. Mewtwo is unique. Also, Jigglypuff owns.
Of all people, you think Bowser and Peach are likely to go? And you think Dr. Mario is likely to stay? Peach and Bowser probably have the best chance to return after the original 12, if they wanted to get rid of some Mushroom Kingdom characters, Dr. Mario is easily first on the list. And being a good or bad in Melee is a crap reason for the character to stay or not.

CHAOSBLACKDOOM

Smash Cadet
McFox said:
His vB could also stand a lot of improvement. Maybe they don't have to be facing you, it could be used in the air, and have a little more range.

Anyway, the only characters that need to be removed are Pichu, Roy, and Dr. Mario. The reason for their removal isn't only that they're clones, but that they couldn't get into a Smash Bros. game on their own merits. Falco, Ganondorf, and Young Link could still have been picked for a Smash Brothers game with entirely original movesets. Pichu, Roy, and Dr. Mario couldn't, really.
I've decided to quote yours! =P. But I agree. In Pokemon, Pichu IS Pikachu just younger, so they kinda have to match, but in a fighter game, thats horrible. Dr. Mario is alot like Mario, so he'll probably have to leave. Ganon should stay, just be changed up a bit. YL should be kicked. Falco should be kicked, Fox is the leader. G&W is nice, but just not needed. M2 should be replaced with a better pokemon, or just revamped. Marth should stay. Roy is too much of a copy. Sheik isn't totally needed, just add Zelda some abilities if they are both the same person. I can't think of anything else, but Bowser NEEDS a facelift or else no one will play him again. (Tiers do matter whoever says they don't.) Thats all I can remember in my head. Just gimme Cpt. Falcon and Marth and I'll be good.

Iggy K

Smash Ace
Care to explain WHY G&W sn't needed? He represents Nintendo, along with Mario.

WhenJigglypuffsAttack

Smash Cadet
I'm just saying that, first of all I know the people from melee are not yet confirmed. I know Pichu and Doc are likely to go, but I think if they return they should be at least luigified. Second, I just don't think Peach and Bowser were very good and if they return they need to change a few of thier moves. Because Bowser lags to much after his attacks, which should be a bit stronger igf thery decide to keep the lag. Peach was just in there she doesn't really get the job done very well, unless the player is skilled or she is versing someone like pichu and Kirby. *Sigh* I really just don't want nindtendo to disappiont. After all Roy, Pichu and Doc are really cool, and some people favor them over there counter parts, but if Doc does not return I just hope they will at least make him a costume. Besides, Nintendo would be stupid to lose some of thier fanbase over completely taking out clones. If they were just IN the game it would make a lot more people happy even if thier moves were totally revamped.

BIRDMAN22

Smash Journeyman
I have to disagree with you heavily. Pichu and Doc are probably the best candidates for dismissal. They are very similar to the original and the originals will not be cut first. Peach and Bowser both have great chances for a return and don't need to go. Peach is the original damsel in distress and a good characters. She can battle most of the roster very well. Bowser is supposed to be slow. His lag is one of his negative points that help balance him out.

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
I like Doc better, but I'd rather just have them put the best of Doc and Mario into Mario(Yes, even Megavitamins) and have Doc as a costume. There, the problem is solved easily and everyone is happy.

CerberusSmasher

Smash Rookie
dj asakura said:
honestly, i think its a two way decision, who sakurai wants and who the fans want, but i think it has to be even-ish or totally on one side.

but hell, it could be a coin toss or sac races held on every consecutive tuesday for all we know
lol sac races :laugh:
but really, If your going to say a character is unique and arenot going to use him/her, why say it? Unless you love to master all the characters. I'm just glad Mario will always stay!

Mr Awesomeness

Smash Rookie
Having used Mewtwo as my main fighter for the past couple years (I switched to Falco recently), I really hope that he will return. My only wish is that they completely overhaul every aspect of him.

My gripes:

He should not be a lightweight
He needs a more conventional way of attacking opponents
His defensive moves should be far more useful

How they need to rework him in Brawl:

- Make him a medium weight
- Keep the range of his aerial movement, but replace his second jump with a slow moving ascent upwards (for the sake of balancing). His teleport move should stay the same.
- Replace his down B with a shield similar to fox/falco's (His whole body will glow blue and will reflect, rather than deflect, projectiles). It should not be usable offensively.
- Replace his side B with some sort of utility move, maybe a psi wave (high-frequency, close-range, weak attack that will put out about 2-4 damage every second, but which has immense priority, quick activation, and very short lag afterwards. This will come in handy to interrupt opponent's combos, and to set up combos).
- Beef up all of his normal A moves slightly
- His throws are awesome already, but his grasp should have better priority and just a bit more range, at the expense of poor recovery time after his KO throws (backwards and upwards). This would make sense, as his throw isn't a conventional toss, but rather a psychic throw.
- Speed up his aerial spike, or remove it entirely

For a general theme, Mewtwo should be a character whose moves vary dramatically in power, speed, range, and priority. He'll be just as tough to master as in SSBM, but in Brawl he'll prove to be more rewarding to an advanced player who knows what to use in specific situations.

DarksamusX

Smash Rookie
i got a question i don't get the point y they have to have jigglypuff in ssbm they should jus leave jiggly out for brawl cause it sucks

Iggy K

Smash Ace
DarksamusX said:
i got a question i don't get the point y they have to have jigglypuff in ssbm they should jus leave jiggly out for brawl cause it sucks
Saying Jigglypuff sucks pretty much confirms you're a n00b to smash bros, or at least not very good at it, Jiggs is easily one of the better character in smash bros. Besides, Jiggs is extremley popular in Japan, and maybe hjere to after Smash Bros, plus it's one of the original 12, no way she's leaving.

DarksamusX

Smash Rookie
Iggy K said:
Saying Jigglypuff sucks pretty much confirms you're a n00b to smash bros, or at least not very good at it, Jiggs is easily one of the better character in smash bros. Besides, Jiggs is extremley popular in Japan, and maybe hjere to after Smash Bros, plus it's one of the original 12, no way she's leaving.
sorry but i have to say i'm not a noob in ssbm and i really don't suck at it i'll show u once ssbb comes out online but still i think jigglypuff is a waist of time

Iggy K

Smash Ace
DarksamusX said:
sorry but i have to say i'm not a noob in ssbm and i really don't suck at it i'll show u once ssbb comes out online but still i think jigglypuff is a waist of time
Ask any person who's good at Melee, I'm pretty sure they'll tell you that Jiggs is good.

zero2324

Smash Rookie
actually it depends on the character of choice the player has some may favorite like say fox and hate mr.G&W but thats there opinion personally i dont think jiggs sucks its just how u use the character. i dont use jiggs but i do sometimes cuz my friends say she sucks so to prove them wrong i kick major butt with jiggs besides she is like the easiest characters to use.

Mr Awesomeness

Smash Rookie
It would be easily apparent to anyone with any understanding of the game that some characters are inherently better than others, albeit in subtle ways. Jigglypuff, due to design, is simply a very decent character (according to the recent tier, there's about 10 characters below her). Anyone who's played an experienced jiggs player would know to fear her "wall of pain..."

As far as her getting cut for popularity reasons. It's never going to happen.

Shiner

Smash Apprentice
to tell u the truth, some of the originals are kinda dum.
Like Luigi: he isn't necissarily a clone of mario because most of his moves are definately different. But he's still basically the same thing aside from rocketing sideways.
Then there's Ness: Even though he's a realy intresting charactr to use, he's not exactly brawl worthy. Actually there's not even one person i know or have even heard of that's really good with him.

falcosmassacre01

Smash Journeyman
they should have everyone that was in melee basically except for maybe pichu,roy and falco and make sheik less cheazy take out peaches down smash thats real cheap if falco is in the new one he shouldnt be able to do tha tcheezy short hop laser thats all that falco and foxes do including the shine

falcosmassacre01

Smash Journeyman
why would u want to not have all the characters though because that would make it more fun to have more characters now theres only like 25 it sucks so why not have like 50

Shiner

Smash Apprentice
there's only like 40 chars i think ther're gona be in the game. Why shouldnt we have the best people that we can find. I know all the original chars are gona return but we should still have good ones to fill up the rest of the spots, not with people like lil mack, lyn, etc.

icymatt

Smash Lord
Ness is most certainly Brawl-worthy, he's been in the game since the beginning and is the most popular character in the Earthbound series. And, if not Ness, then who should represent Earthbound?

And why aren't Mac and Lyn 'good ones'? Who are 'good ones'?

Mr.Smash

Smash Apprentice
falcosmassacre01 said:
they should have everyone that was in melee basically except for maybe pichu,roy and falco and make sheik less cheazy take out peaches down smash thats real cheap if falco is in the new one he shouldnt be able to do tha tcheezy short hop laser thats all that falco and foxes do including the shine

we got a hater lol jk... those moves may be cheap, but they lso are the few that these players have. its not like they are unfair chars... everyone has cheap ways they can be played. fox and falco (and peace) are just easier to play cheaply lol. and why roy?

Iggy K

Smash Ace
Shiner said:
Like Luigi: he isn't necissarily a clone of mario because most of his moves are definately different. But he's still basically the same thing aside from rocketing sideways.
Then there's Ness: Even though he's a realy intresting charactr to use, he's not exactly brawl worthy. Actually there's not even one person i know or have even heard of that's really good with him.
And I thought the stupid posts might have ended, silly me. Luigi has a lot of different attacks, running attack, fsmash, b>, and nair and dair don't count as same attacks, as ost of characters have thpse attacks, besides, Luigi has plenty of ways to become even more original, plus he pretty much guaranteed to be in brawl, and then there's your horribly wrong post about Ness, there is no charcater who isn't brawl worthy, especially Ness, tell me wy he's not, and just because you haven't seen people good with Ness that doersn't mean there aren't any, look at Sinma, and for the last time, being good or bad in Melee has nothing to do about the character staying or not, plus he's uniqe and as you said it, intresting, which is what Sakurai cares about the most. And Mac and Lyn are easily good ones Shiner, let me guess, youn think people like Shadow and Cloud are good ones.

xianfeng

Smash Hero
Mr.Smash said:
now i dont want to sound like a jerk who thinks he knows ebverything, but im pretty sure we can all agree that fox will be returning. i main link and marth, however if fox returned with his staff that would be excellten, and i would reconsider my choice of main. if however krystal is involved he may not have the staff... but she shouldnt be cus he deservs a cool weapon.... his old moves are really useful, but i still think that his staff would do him well. now not to get off topic but i hope that instead of color choices we can also choose differnt types of chars... like either oldschool fox, or staff fox... not for all chars, but for a few changed ones that would be nice.
the staff is Krystals so she will be added and she will use it, Fox gets his regular moveset and an assault moveset for Falco.

Shiner

Smash Apprentice
ok so mayb i was a little bit harsh on ness, but i do still think shadow and cloud are much more diserving than luigi or little mac. I've talked to my frinds alot and we all agree that little mac isnt nearly popular enough to be in brawl.

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
Punch-Out!!! was an extremely popular game, more popular than Ice Climber, chances are we'll be seeing him in.

Ness will be there too, he was the main character of Earthbound, no good reason to get rid of him.

BIRDMAN22

Smash Journeyman
Shiner said:
ok so mayb i was a little bit harsh on ness, but i do still think shadow and cloud are much more diserving than luigi or little mac. I've talked to my frinds alot and we all agree that little mac isnt nearly popular enough to be in brawl.
It's a nintendo allstars game. Luigi will be present. He might have started as a filler but he is now one of nintendos main faces. Mario and Luigi are synonomous with nintendo IMO.
As for Lil'Mac. He is diffinetly deserving of a spot in brawl. He can bring the boxing style of fighting into smash. Not to mention that fact that he has many fans around the globe.

Cloud and Shadow combined have a 1 percent chance of being in brawl (and I actually like cloud but I'm still realistic). Third party spots are almost set (in my eyes) for Sonic and Megaman.

EDIT: Spelling

greenblob

Smash Lord
Shiner said:
You just opened Pandora's box right there. Luigi and Ness have some of the most zealous, cultlike fanbases.

Tetsuwan_Geno

Smash Rookie
On the Pacific 'Ring of Fire'. Yay, volcanoes!
greenblob said:
Luigi and Ness have some of the most zealous, cultlike fanbases.
Is there a character who DOESN'T have a fanbase? The fact of the matter is someone's going to be cut, and unfortunately a lot of people will be bereft of their favorite character. The most we can hope for is that our personal favorite will not be the unfortunate one, and if so, they will at least have a decent replacement.

Haruno Kotetsu

Smash Ace
I think nearly everyone from Melee will come back, but things dont look good for Pichu, Mewtwo, Roy, or Shiek [IMO.]

I'm thinking the original 12'll come back, and i also think some should be re-done.

Ganondorf-OoT version with dark magic. Don't know about the sword though, he seems more of a fist fighter than a swordsman, yeah?

Zelda-I don't really know what to say about Zelda, other than she's slow and her magic should be a little stronger maybe, I don't know it's just what I think lol.

Bowser-Bowser is the King of Koopas, and is in 95% of all Mario games, meaning he's a huge roll in Nintendo. My point being is, he deserves to be a very good chara, but like in Melee he wasen't that good. Strong, but very laggy and a couple of his b-moves COULD be switched out/improved.

I'll get back with the rest later..

greenblob

Smash Lord
Tetsuwan_Geno said:
Is there a character who DOESN'T have a fanbase?
The average Earthbound fan is much more enthusiastic about Earthbound than someone like the average Kirby fan.
Example:
Earthbound fan: Earthbound? It ROCKS!!! It's the BEST RPG EVER!!!
Kirby fan: Kirby? Yeah, it's fun. And Meta Knight looks cool.
Just take a look at the Ness forum. It's somewhat similar to the "Asian Pride" thing. You very rarely see someone saying that they have "White Pride," but the term "Asian Pride" pops up quite frequently.
Anyway, my point is say something like "Yoshi's gonna get cut" and you'll just be dismissed as crazy or ignored; say something like "Luigi needs to go" and you'll be carnaged by the passing Luigi fan.

Anyway, back on topic...
The whole clone thing. People who main as a clone character/character that got cloned say that their character is very different from its counterpart. Dr. Mario users say that he's very different from Mario and Fox users say that he's very different from Falco. That seems to conflict with what other people are saying: that clones are exactly the same as the cloned characters, with the exception of minor and unimportant details. Also, Falco seems to be the much better supported clone. Perhaps because he's mained by so many people?

Iggy K

Smash Ace
After thinking it over, I say the most likely cuts are DR. Mario, Roy, Pichu, Y. Link and Sheik, I don't see more than five characters being cut.

JPW

Smash Ace
when Smash Bros. Melee was in its hey day here in Australia, Dr. Mario, Pichu, Jigglypuff, Ice Climbers and G&W, were all seen as bad characters by the main. But some Australians judge a book by its cover. Too many people paid out Jigglypuff and everything because he or she was too cute. And usually the same people that pay out Jigglypuff are the same people who claim Ninty of being too cute, kiddy, and finished. When will people realise you owe your video games franchise to Atari, Ninty and Sega, just some of the pioneers that made Sony and Microsoft want to cash in on the first place.

Back on topic though.
I agree with you guys. Jigglypuff is one of the best characters, and should never be underestimated. Sure I didn't like Jigglypuff at first either, then I played as him or her, and I was very suprised with what I learnt, and achieved, sure I may not be a pro. But I recommend Jigglypuff, and I reckon Jigglypuff will definitely have a future in Smash Bros. games to come. Just play against Jigglypuff in anything level 5 or above. And you'll see why he kicks ***. Also give him a chance. Or at least tell me what is wrongf with his moveset that makes him look so bad. lol.

I always thought the other 4 however hardly had a fanbase, but I guess anything's possible.
To be honest out of all I want PIchu to go the most, but that's just me. I really hated how I lost power when doing some moves and even for level 9 CPU, he was too easy to beat.
Make him one of the pokeballs would be best choice.

Iggy K

Smash Ace
You'd be suprised aboout G&W and the IC's fanbases, they were requested a lot of times to stay in Sakurai's poll, the Japanese probably heard that rumor, I also used to think Jiggs sucked(I also used to think Peach and Fox sucked to), glad to see you agree.

Pablo18

Smash Journeyman
flagged up poppin dat 18 street in Long Island....
Iggy K said:
You'd be suprised aboout G&W and the IC's fanbases, they were requested a lot of times to stay in Sakurai's poll, the Japanese probably heard that rumor, I also used to think Jiggs sucked(I also used to think Peach and Fox sucked to), glad to see you agree.
every one underestamates jiggs n peach at first but fox?!?
weird

Iggy K

Smash Ace
I was bad with him and thought he sucked, keep in mind I was an extreme n00b to Smash at the time.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Ugalde said:
I see absolutely NO reason to take out ANY of the Melee Crew :urg:
Time constraints. They're trying to make a new game, and they're revamping all of the old characters. That means that re-including the old characters would take just as much time as making new characters. It's not like they're just porting characters from Melee, they're actually taking the time and energy to make the game better (they could've just released Melee online with new graphics and it still would've sold millions). As such, there are definitely some characters that said time doesn't need to be spent on: Pichu, Roy, and Doctor Mario.

As I've said before, Falco, Ganondorf, and Young Link are unique characters and can easily get completely new movesets and still make it into Brawl. Doc, Pichu, and Roy are complete clone material, and I don't think they should take the time importing clones.

OrlanduEX

Smash Lord
Why do people keep saying that Shiek will be removed??? She's one the heighest tier characters in Melee. Nintendo would piss off ALOT of people by taking her out.

Top Bottom