• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Washington Melee thread

BladeWise

Smash Lord
lol, I was just in Bellingham today, visiting my girlfriend at WWU. There aren't many Melee players up there. There are a few Brawl players, but I dunno if you're into Brawl. If you have some means of transportation, we have a monthly tournament in Lynnwood, about an hour away.

MasterC

Smash Ace
syler/anthony/nDie/connor/bMello/Oreo, goodsh*t on the fest i had hella fun even tho i only got a couple hours in... sh*t was mad tight, it's hella kool playin yall and you guys are good, still sad you guys don't come to more GC's but i feel it just cuz it's so far and yall have lives/jobs/etc... :(

anthony, you should sandbag less tho yo lol straight up i kno you go hard and it's kool to get a couple stocks off ya but it would be way tighter to see you **** consistently and i feel like when you sandbag it doesn't really do anyone good, just sayin :p

syler, you're mad good dawg haha i had forgotten how technical you can be when you want but your luigi is mad gay :p

kline, you shoulda came it was ****... even had a crew battle that was wayyy stacked rofl

batman, you can get a ride wit me on saturday to GC if you still want but idk how much ima be smashin this week... hella sh*t to do but i might hold a fest wed night if ppl are down (i kno, hella random but thurs/fri i'm in tacoma cuz my homies gettin locked up nex week and my best friend's lil bro's turnin 18 *johns*)

toph, what do you think is your biggest setback right now? just curious cuz you look mad good when i watch you but you always give yourself a hard time (prob for good reason...)

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
hmm, i think my biggest setback is my overly aggressive playstyle and my over-reliance on tech skill. o.o like if i'm missing techskill, even though I SHOULD just tone it down and play more safely, i keep trying to "force" it and consequently my reading ability suffers cuz i end up paying too much attention to my own character. gotta stop doing that. i also have a tough time taking losses in stride >.>

hmm, i should write that down for next time haha. stuff to work on...

Jem.

Smash Master
aye don't sweat it toph. i know i'm not good at melee, but tech skill won't win you sets and tournaments. always just make sure you're actively thinking. i know tech skill is a lot more important nowadays in melee, but not everyone will win off tech skill, people have their own styles =). what makes me feel better in tournament is if a stock gets ***** or something, i just kind of laugh because you don't want to get yourself bent up and frustrated and try to force things to happen. this might also sound weird, but try doing things while exhausted. atleast at brawl tournament, i find i never really get my ideal sleep and breakfast schedule before tournaments, so the more prepared your body is for long grinds potentially on little sleep and food, the better you'll be because you'll be prepared. that isn't to say to starve yourself obviously, but keep playing even when you're tired whenever you're practicing. I can't remember the last time I got more than 2 hours of sleep for a tourney haha. you got this toph :D

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
haha yeah, it's definitely a bad habit of mine - I'll, like, focus on the wrong things sometimes. like if my hands aren't workin right, I know I'm supposed to tone down the fanciness and just focus on the opponent harder, but I always try to play fast when I really shouldn't be and I get ***** for it :x

duuude good point on the tired stuff o.O I'm always like one of the first dudes to go to bed at a smashfest, I might try staying up mad late haha

thanks for the advice n stuff ^__^

Hey, don't really know how this thread works, but it seems like the right place for what i want.

I've been trying to get into competitive smash for a few months with a friend of mine, and have spent those months lurking Smashboards learning how to play on a competitive level. I'm really hoping that I'll be able to get in contact with somebody in Bellingham, WA, so I can have some new people to play and train with.
yo. my friend who is prob around your level plays with his friend up at WWU. hit him up and tell him otto sent u. http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=544658760

DwightDL

Smash Cadet
Ah that's awesome, I actually attend WWU as well and have mutual friends with this guy haha.
I'll be sure to shoot him a message, thanks man.

DwightDL

Smash Cadet
lol, I was just in Bellingham today, visiting my girlfriend at WWU. There aren't many Melee players up there. There are a few Brawl players, but I dunno if you're into Brawl. If you have some means of transportation, we have a monthly tournament in Lynnwood, about an hour away.
Monthly melee tourny? If you could give me a link to the tournament page or additional info it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks man.

Syler

Smash Journeyman
hmm, i think my biggest setback is my overly aggressive playstyle and my over-reliance on tech skill. o.o like if i'm missing techskill, even though I SHOULD just tone it down and play more safely, i keep trying to "force" it and consequently my reading ability suffers cuz i end up paying too much attention to my own character. gotta stop doing that. i also have a tough time taking losses in stride >.>

hmm, i should write that down for next time haha. stuff to work on...
LoL that's exactly my problem and always been my problem

@Master C- it's not that i can be technical when i want to be, maybe occasionally it's that my tech skill is gotten worse and when people say otherwise their incorrect or just trying to be nice. Long story short im probably prone to shield grab 90% of the time, the only way i get around it is if im spacing good, or if im lucky and actually playing semi technical.

I'll link a video later of what i mean, where i would start a pillar with shine and dair, and then just miss the l-cancel and it would get blocked every single time by bmelo. When **** like that happens i just get more and more frustrated and force more ****, then just get ***** and wanna go break ****.

PandaMageMaltDrinka

Smash Apprentice
@syler - your not being technical JOHN is stupid, stop saying it, everyone gets grabbed out of shield a good number of times, also take a page out of your book, CHANGE IT UP, if u cant L-cancel, then stop going for pillars if u can't do it, its just like u telling me to stop rolling back so much, idk why i do it so much, but i do, but i don't john about it every match i lose, also, i mess up against in when i'm trying different crap, but i don't john about it like every second of the match like " oh damn i should've done ", u do do that a lot, u narrate yourself when your playing, stop the tech skill johns, its annoying

nDie

Smash Apprentice
Ya thanks for coming to the fest masterC. I don't think I got to play you though now that I think about it but it was still tight having you dudes over. And those cookies were bomb. When is the last time someone from the south brought cookies to a smash fest?
Never. South sucks.
<3

Edit: Mike got pizza once though, hes still cool.

MasterC

Smash Ace
@syler - your not being technical JOHN is stupid, stop saying it, everyone gets grabbed out of shield a good number of times, also take a page out of your book, CHANGE IT UP, if u cant L-cancel, then stop going for pillars if u can't do it, its just like u telling me to stop rolling back so much, idk why i do it so much, but i do, but i don't john about it every match i lose, also, i mess up against in when i'm trying different crap, but i don't john about it like every second of the match like " oh damn i should've done ", u do do that a lot, u narrate yourself when your playing, stop the tech skill johns, its annoying
i'm not gonna lie tho, that narrating sh*t can help yo... cuz when i **** up i don't realize it until i say it out loud sometimes, but mainly it's just the lack of tech skill cuz i kno what i SHOULD'VE done but half the time i can't do it cuz it's out of my skill range or cuz i **** it up even when i can do it

PandaMageMaltDrinka

Smash Apprentice
@Master C - i guess i've just been letting crap like what people say, get to me a lot more lately, and i don't need to blow up SB to let everybody know so my bad.

also your friend Terans hella legit like u Mr.C, ya'll are hella chill, we need more of that in WA

Syler

Smash Journeyman
LoL, yeah ur right. But I do also think it’s funny cuz half the time it’s YOU that’s the one johning about my tech skill whenever we talk on the phone and saying it should be better etc. As for changing it up, I did.. I went falco 3 times and **** wasn’t working so I switched to fox. Ironic thing is, just as you know when I get less technical I’ll do stuff like more grabs, then everyone Q_Q’s about me playing gay, (and it’s mad dumb cuz I could play even more gay if I cared that much about winning and not cared about people Q_Qing and you and I both know that.). Just like if I go pretty much anyone about a fastfaller half the people are qqing. (you would know, anytime you go luigi people switch to like jigglypuff or cry about it). But yeah, generally I use matches to practice my tech skill cuz I get mad bored by myself and get frustrated and quit after 10 mins when I can’t do ****. That and everyone plays so ****ing defensive in the south >_>.As far as people saying I have tech skill it’s more so I do a combo or two, but a lot of the times it’s just reading ur guy’s tech or something and punishing on it, rather then actually doing something technical. It gets pretty irritating when you can’t do a single pillar with falco, yeah I can do other **** to win the match, but if I can’t pillar with falco there’s really no point in using/learning/getting better with him imo. (If I was playing to win I’d just laser spam more and play defensive like everyone else in the south make you guys approach.)As for fox I actually hold back on some **** and try different things (though I have gotten a lot more narrow minded at times and got ***** for being a noob). As for narrating myself, sometimes it's to tell myself to remind myself, and the other half of the time yeah it's me being a scrub rofl

@master c- yeah forgot to thank you for coming down, it was pretty tight to see you again after like a year+ and ur friend was pretty tight too.

P.S. Ur matches are going to be a while cuz of the size of files, and how long it'll take to send to cody etc. but i'll be up in a day or two.

PandaMageMaltDrinka

Smash Apprentice
you've been playing smash long enough to be decently technical, your by no means any less technical than anyone else in the group, its irritating to play u and u john about not being technical, if you weren't technical at all then i'd give u some slack, but since u can do everything anyone else in the group can, i don't wanna hear it, its not legit anymore, if bmelo keeps grabbing u, change it up, or do your dairs closer to the ground, stop blaming the lack there of on why your getting grabbed

also, derek grabs the crap out of me too, i just start my dairs to high, u do it too, but i'm still technical, just needa change up when i start the dair to shine

Syler

Smash Journeyman
A. actually im not >_> yeah i can be about as technical as everyone else, every once in a while but not consistently unless the person isn't shielding. B. It wasn't him grabbing me, it was literally me doing a dair shine, and him blocking it after the intial hit or two, meaning im not pillaring right even though i ALREADY started the combo, that IS a lack of tech skill. C. yeah there are other times i know i jump too high etc. but the difference between you and me is, i can't start dairs lower or nairs with fox lower, or shield pressure correctly (i use more spacing then other people cuz i can't do the other). Just look at my falcon as a perfect example everyone KNOWS i can't aerial combo when's the last time you've seen me do a nair to ANYTHING.. yeah i don't remember either exactly my point. All i do is tech chase and grab, and i hold back on that even. Just like why i don't play my marth anymore i can't aerial or l-cancel ANYTHING i could post a video of it and everyone would tell you the same, so don't give me the crap of me being technical as anyone else when you of all people should know im not, and you said im a stubborn one smh

EDIT: Long story short i can't fast fall correctly overall. With marth, and falcon it's a lil bit more complicated then that, where i result to just being a grabby *****

PandaMageMaltDrinka

Smash Apprentice
what i'm saying is that you don't have to remind us, i'm saying, get your tech game up

but your probably gonna say " i already know that " well its one thing to SAY, its another to DO, just get it done so u can **** more than u already ****

so all in all, i'm saying u got all this time to do whatever, practice your tech skill for half an hour, take a break for like 5 hours, go back an do it for like another half an hour, do it maybe daily or every other day, and stop complaining about it, its annoying, that stubborn attitude of yours ain't helping either, an even thats a john, like if i decided to drink every time before we smashed, thats not a good enough john after a while, and i either need to except i'm gonna get ***** because i'm drunk or i needa stop drinking before the Fest

Syler

Smash Journeyman
Nah i wasn't going too lol, It's my own fault for not getting better, but i think for me personally i need to find a new way to practice it, cuz i seriously can't stand playing smash by myself for more then 5-10 mins at a time. Need someone there to distract me from the boredom it causes me. And probably practice with me/show me how to do **** correctly

But lately that isn't the only thing i need to work on. Im way more narrow minded and stubborn about attacking with ****.

@cody- idk about all... i got over 4 hours of vids.. and it takes roughly 10-15 mins per a 3 minute clip.. not to mention the time it'll take to send to you etc. I think we'll just upload specific matches or sets that people in the group agree upon.

Also we should start doing like 1 dollar mm or something and upload those, and also i'll find out more about that elo i can't find the thread anymore though i got a general idea of it so we could put those up too.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
Toph/Jem-I have the same problem as Ive said b4. Just wanted u **** to feel not alone lol.

Syler-I had the same problem. The only real way to fix it is to practice. since u have been playing so long it actually wont take very long. A few days at the most, but it starts with you consciously telling yourself to dair/nair late. After you practice it a lil it should come to you. If you had AR I swear that **** helps sooooo much to be able to hit an actual shield. Helps with spacing and timing or the tech skill part.

Otto-Ill bring your copy of melee back over cuz If ur codes work on 1.2 I want my vers 1.0 back yeee! Also, im gonna try to record the routine I made up awhile ago, this week when I practice tech for GC/pound.

dont upload all the matches lmao. just like put em on a disk for whoever wants to study em or something. and upload the good ones.

nDie

Smash Apprentice
I never meant all literally, I mean all the ones we upload will be to that account. And everybody in Puyallup is to cheap / broke to mm.

MasterC

Smash Ace
who is said my?

and yea goodsh*t south, i'll $1mm yall nex time cuz i wanna see my *** on camera, ima work on tech skill so it won't be too bad but i would be down to wager a few bux against conner's falcon, nDie's sheik, bmello's fox/falco, and oreo's falco :D

bet that xD

EDIT: man why is gunbound such a large freaking install file? almost 1/3 of a gb haha and what are your guys names? or how do i look you up/add you or whatever

MasterC

Smash Ace
^WHAT HE SAID

also, does anyone kno if gunbound has problems on windows 7? cuz i tried it out but for some reason i couldn't finish the first tutorial to get my bonus and it wouldn't let me go on to the second tutorial w/o finishing the first one, so i'm done for the night unless someone knows what's up lol

Smile

Smash Apprentice
who is said my?

and yea goodsh*t south, i'll $1mm yall nex time cuz i wanna see my *** on camera, ima work on tech skill so it won't be too bad but i would be down to wager a few bux against conner's falcon, nDie's sheik, bmello's fox/falco, and oreo's falco :D

bet that xD

EDIT: man why is gunbound such a large freaking install file? almost 1/3 of a gb haha and what are your guys names? or how do i look you up/add you or whatever
You're on dude.

Also, your Falco has gotten a LOT better from that last time I fought you a few months back.

Syler

Smash Journeyman
I never meant all literally, I mean all the ones we upload will be to that account. And everybody in Puyallup is to cheap / broke to mm.
Don't worry about it, we'll just record seroius/pride matches.. and if you got something to wager then go for it if not no biggie.

@Master C- samething LoL don't worry about it, and also i have to agree with connor ur falco has gotten a lot better

@Connor- learn to tech chase better so you can be more ****

@Anthony- You work on getting more consistent, and i'll work on being more ****

P.S. Cody just cuz i like to give you ****, shiek's gay, so is peach, stop being a f@ggot
i say that with love <3

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
fulltilt is the name of a really ****ing good ice cream shop in the u-district. it opened pretty recently before i left and i had a scoop of the salted caramel in a waffle cone the day i left washington. it was really ****ing good - probably the best ice cream i've ever eaten. i used to call it forward tilt ice cream cuz it says like "FTILT ICE CREAM" on the sign i think

uhhh

yea

MasterC

Smash Ace
fulltilt is the name of a really ****ing good ice cream shop in the u-district. it opened pretty recently before i left and i had a scoop of the salted caramel in a waffle cone the day i left washington. it was really ****ing good - probably the best ice cream i've ever eaten. i used to call it forward tilt ice cream cuz it says like "FTILT ICE CREAM" on the sign i think

uhhh

yea
is that the spot by safeway on brooklyn? by where you used to live kinda? on the bak side of cedar's? shoutout to vish/andy lol i seen that spot but i've never been, looks bomb tho

Top Bottom