• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Washington Melee thread

MasterC

Smash Ace
one for thursday, we can start as early as 5pm and end as late as 5am the next day haha

that's when i hafta go to the hospital for clinical so it's non-negotiable, but ppl can still crash if needed... i just won't return until 4pm friday afternoon

PandaMageMaltDrinka

Smash Apprentice
i'm down Mr. C / i'm working tomorrow so thats $45 right there / getting $100 on the 9th so i'll have money, if any of these foolz down here wanna drive me up there, i'll get some grub / booz whatev / we needa get nDie's gamebridge so we can record matches, but yea i'm down to def go, F the south

Eggz

Smash Hero
http://allisbrawl.com/blogpost.aspx?id=102143

also LoL is definitely RTS with RPG elements
RTS is a genre, not a synonym for starcraft

C!Z is quitting melee if our scene doesnt get real, and if he quits so am I. I'll just pick up MVC3 and only show up to tournaments to take that big ol' $30 then leave.

ill show up thursday though cuz i need to be in seattle so i can hit up Crush the next night anyway

BladeWise

Smash Lord
I'm willing to bet $20 that Ciz beats Vish next time. (whether all $20 to one person, or in smaller increments to various people)

I honestly believe in your ability that much, Ciz.

whats wrong with the scene? we have up to 30 man tournaments at times, and its not a like a bunch of noobs would make a difference to him. if its not the numbers, but the skill level, then we should just strengthen our ties to BC and go there more and get them to come here more by doing so (and doing good there to make them want to come) wed only need a few for that. plus when toph gets back thingsll be better. if ciz quit hed prob regret it later and regret not being able to jump back into it like nate does. mvc3 is prob bout to be dope tho.

i dont see whats wrong with our scene even being weak lol. dr pps scene isnt that great and look at him. no johns if thats the case

ciz told me its cuz he couldnt perform well in tourney, ever. just get more consistent and that wont happen. practice focusing and tech skill. you say you understand why people do **** they do, then if you actually get good at focusing youll be able to tell what to do. all of this is just assuming stuff tho, lets hear your side of the story ciz, cuz if we talk about it in person i wont be able to immediately counter what you have to say

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
LoL is a MOBA, not an RTS. it's the official term haha. but why are you even arguing about semantics? i'm not saying that "LoL is a bad game because it's not an RTS;" i'm not even saying it's a bad game. i'm saying that i've given that type of game a try and i didn't really find it that appealing. me enjoying a game doesn't hinge on what genre it's technically a part of... >_>;

that said, you guys need to stop being drama queens. i've been to SF4 tourneys in washington before. the capcom fighter scene in washington is pretty good, everyone is pretty friendly but it's definitely more "grown-up" than WA smash. it's not like how melee is, where everyone is the homie.

also, major hypocrisy at yelling at everyone else to "get real" (wtf does that even mean?) when you don't even drive up to BC. the distance between WA and BC is shorter than the distance between norcal and socal and if you combined both scenes, you could have 50-60 person monthlies with 6-7 "top level" players.

but oh wait, it's much easier to whine at everyone else and threaten people with quitting, because then it's everyone else's problem, not yours.

not that there's even a problem to begin with. WA melee is fine.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
he texted me today that the scene is too small and he haas no motivation. he said like, he should be practicing right now...but he isn't. I also heard him talk about performance and that pound might be it.

imo we just need to get our **** together. hooking up with bc is a really good idea. we should start convincing or and bc to come up more which would give us more than enough.

idk if its just me but that ***** wolf keeps me hella motivated, and toph/teddy. props to u guys.

edit: also mewtwo and tech skill...holla

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
you should never feel like you "have to play"

i used to look forward to getting my homework done just so i could go to otto's and PLAY (not practice)

and you aren't gonna get rusty from taking a 2 week break to do other ****. this **** is NOT that big a deal LOL. wtf is wrong with you guys? i thought you guys just had a dope *** tournament. i heard vish almost got laid (by peter) and everything.

Eggz

Smash Hero
we dont have doubles at our monthlies
thats all im beefin about
im just tryin to sound grumpy so randoms will come so C!Z wont quit ;_;
i heard vish almost got laid (by peter) and everything.
LMFAO

yeah gc was mad fun LOL idk
**** it
i aint quittin ever obviously LOL
neither is C!Z >=[

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
aight we roundin *****s up for the next one then.

singles
dubz
crew (max ten v ten or something)

hype! lol

@anthony-that would be swell lol

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
you guys should definitely get on that WA+BC thing though >_> regardless of whether anyone's thinking of quitting. me and vish and andy took a greyhound bus up once, and considering the fact that i take more expensive public transit for 3 hours (similar distance) almost EVERY weekend over here in japan, i'd definitely be willing to do it again haha. busing with the homies is mad fun anyway. we played pokemon-based word games on the ride over o.O

PandaMageMaltDrinka

Smash Apprentice
ya well if u going to charlie's this thursday i might be there with Oreo, maybe Syler / cuz bmello's got school / JB COOPER got WORK school stuff / but i'm down for thursdays smash fest

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
and while we're on the topic, i think some of you guys should actually take a lesson from people like stefan and andreas. those guys don't go to tournaments at all, they don't worry about the game, they don't travel out-of-state - but they love the game, they smash multiple times a week and play exclusively to have fun. and because of that mindset, they get better. sure, they could be improving faster if they cared more - but why force it? they enjoy the game.

i'm not saying stop going to tournaments - i would never stop going to tournaments, myself, because that's what i find to be fun. but stefan and andreas obviously don't care much for them, so instead of worrying about "ahh but what if i lose to vish at the next tournament!!!" they just PLAY THE GAME haha.

so yeah, it's not the size of your bracket (it's how you use it)

C!Z

Smash Lord
It's both. Our lack of a scene, and my lack of motivation. I have no motivation to practice. I should be practicing, my tech skill is far from what I want it to be. Our turn outs keep getting smaller and smaller. I want a reason to sit in my room and practice at least every other night for some period of time, I don't have that. Smash is a social thing for me right now. I love the game, but I see no reason to give it any of my time atm. We have no OOS interest. WE HAVE NO DOUBLES TOURNEYS, which I actually prefer over singles. We've achieved a 16 man bracket once since I've been back. After losing I've just come to realize why, I don't take it seriously. Nothing to strive for. I love the game too much to not be 100% into it. So I'm gonna put some effort into this next month for Pound and March GC, if I feel it's the same community of 2 truly dedicated smashers, then I'm out. Our scene could be sooooo good, but it's not. So many of the WA greats quit. I just don't want to be a part of a top 5 state that doesn't get a 16 man bracket or hold doubles.

Toph, I play for competition. You're describing casual ***s. That's why I don't play Rpgs or anything like that. I play games for the competition.

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
you ignored everything else i said, so i won't go into how sapping the fun out of the game (thinking you "need" to "practice" - not "play" - every other day) and imposing rules upon YOURSELF only stifles your improvement, or how i know this from experience

owait i just did

edit: as an example of how bracket turnout doesn't even matter, the last smashfest i held in washington, we held, in my apartment and completely impromptu, a 16-man singles bracket cuz there were like 18 people there. these people didn't even come for a tournament - they just came to play, and the numbers worked out so we threw one. shane wasn't even there.

you don't get better at smash from having 10 more noobs at the tournament venue LOL, i really don't see how that would make a difference

and regarding "I play for competition" - yes, that's exactly what i'm saying. stefan ****-talks like a mother****er, loves and cares about the game. he just doesn't travel or play in tournaments. what is a tournament, anyway? it's just a structure. the game itself doesn't change. i personally think playing in tournaments is tight, but it's not the end-all. also, you saying WA melee sucks is just you trying to compare washington to california. 90% of scenes in the USA are similar to, or smaller than, washington >_>

C!Z

Smash Lord
We feel differently on the matter. I have fun doin fat combos, somethin sick, MM'n, or winning. I definitely don't play games to be a casual ***. I have my "fun" doin other things.

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
ok, and what does having 10-15 more noobs at a tournament have -anything- to do with the four things you listed?

you're right; the hitstun properties of melee DO change in friendlies so comboing no longer becomes possible!

and when there are 30 people at the tourney instead of 20, i can use their SPIRIT ENERGY to defeat vish! just like goku does when he throws a spirit bomb.

*rolleyes*

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
wa has more than two truly dedicated smashers im sure. right my *****s lol.

all I know...we got this. fyi ciz we have had at least 3 around 25 ppl. tp, and two gc's. march we can hype up. people cone when we say everybody is going....we got this. we gotta get toph ka and nate back too.

Jem.

Smash Master
Everyone has their own way to play though, remember. Some people really want to win, and some people really don't care how they do. Some people expect to get nowhere, some people love the adrenaline you get in tournament. I doubt people like Shane would trade all their wins to be content with the game and their placings all time. The feeling of winning is too much of a great feeling to trade. Not being content is actually a great tool for improvement.

That said, it would suck if CIZ quits melee, because he's really good. But if he isn't having fun, nothing is forcing him to play even if there are homies.

And BC has been coming to Brawl tournaments, and it's been awesome, so BC isn't a bad idea though. We've been getting 30-40 all the time now for Brawl and all is well. We also had Zex and Zedd come up and that was a blast.

and when there are 30 people at the tourney instead of 20, i can use their SPIRIT ENERGY to defeat vish! just like goku does when he throws a spirit bomb.

*rolleyes*
LMFAO! i actually let out this little burst of laughter. i dont do that for just any text

im mid-zombies so ill just say this. the small tournaments we have are just prep for what actually matters to us pro competitive players (or what did, idk bout shane) you have enough people to prep you for those and keep you interested at the same time, so whats the big deal. like me and toph have been sayin, lets just strengthen our ties to bc, assuming you didnt give up on your passport too (sorry dude, went there) but yeah, how do you think i feel about the competition here? doesnt it seem worse for me wth the time its been liek this taken into consideration? i was once a player when our scene was incredible, and going from that to what it became relatively sucked ***. im still interested enough in it though, i still go to every small ****ty tourney we have. aint nothin wrong with them, we still get practice and have fun.

Eggz

Smash Hero
While I see how playing Smash JUST because you enjoy it can be a good thing, I think feeling an obligation to diligently improve for the sake of beating your rivals is a lot more fun than just playing to play.

LFMAO @ picturing C!Z gathering a spirit bomb to defeat Vish

C!Z

Smash Lord
It had to do with the other stuff I listed, Toph. There's no hype. No one even watch GF's, it's sad.

Otto- I don't wanna have to travel every time to get good feeling from attending a tourney. I wanna perform well, but if it's for nothing then I don't care enough. The no one watching finals kinda got to me too.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
toph, lend me your energy!

yea im trying to come up so that otto isn't bored forev. at least thats one reason anyway
:( sorry ***.

hype is easy to build, it trickles down from the top. just get hype, and other people will too.

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
yeah, I guess lack of hype sucks. well, let's figure something out - i think personally appealing to the people you want to show up to tournaments goes a lot further than bulk-advertising (come to the next tourney please!), especially on smashboards where most of the random people don't even post.

and that means not relying on stuff like "hey anthony, talk to the people in the south" - it means contacting those people yourself and trying to get them to come out. and doing it creatively. maybe like, yo, we're having a bbq at the next tourney. you know, creative **** like that, that will make people wanna come out and have fun.

while i'm on the subject, i'd like to add - syler's tournaments had a completely different set of attendants than GC. in other words, if GC is small, that doesn't mean WA is small - that just means GC is small :P i know a lot of the UW guys just don't like going to GC; the last two times stefan went, melee started way too late, etc etc. so maybe look into throwing events outside of GC.

by the way, getting more structure in the tournaments - i.e. making sure you have more than enough setups ahead of time, having a more definite schedule and not relying on GC guy - would probably go a long way. you're kidding yourself if you think melee players don't mind taking a backseat to brawl at gameclucks

idk, there's countless little things you can do if you want hype. sleepyk from georgia was telling me about how he set up this "Good players drive to you!" sort of thing, where he'd round up 3 or 4 good players and go smash with a bunch of randoms, driving up to 2 hours out of his way or something. heck, remember when jeff (SS) came to WA and like, ****in 6 of vista's random *** asian friends from the fed came to my apartment? hell, go down to them and make friends with them. some of those guys weren't bad LOL, one of them almost beat jeff's falcon in a friendly.

i'm just sayin, quittin doesn't solve anything, and trying to stick to your same old thought patterns doesn't solve anything. complaining grumpily to an audience of randoms that doesn't exist (lookin at you, shane) doesn't solve anything either, nor does complaining that people don't share your exact definition of what constitutes a competitive player (lookin at you, ciz). you guys got this :]

and if you guys DON'T got this, there are a few things i'm gonna try when i get back

It had to do with the other stuff I listed, Toph. There's no hype. No one even watch GF's, it's sad.

Otto- I don't wanna have to travel every time to get good feeling from attending a tourney. I wanna perform well, but if it's for nothing then I don't care enough. The no one watching finals kinda got to me too.
get a good feeling? (insert spirit bomb joke here)

but yeah, like i said, just use those tourneys for practice for bigger ones. whether it be playin in the tournament, or doing sets/friendlies with homies. you dont need big tournaments to practice. learn to appreciate the tourneys we have for the game you love and itll be aight. if you cant do that then maybe you should just play ssf4 or some ugly **** you prob will end up quitting and regretting anyway. theres so much ****ing hype at majors now its insane, a couple of those a year make up for whatever we have goin on. you should get good so you can just put your real focus on those, the little ones shouldnt even matter. theyre not even that bad if you compare them to other regions that still play. your just holdin yourself back. majors should be what matters, thats where the real competition is, i cant stress that enough. you have what you need to practice for those, and we got bc to go to whenever they have a tourney. like toph said the trip aint **** lol. its just that nobody is every down to go (vish) or cant go (everyone else)

kline get a passport you black

watch when our melee scene is once again pimp and you feel like a ****** for not playing when u had the chance.

t-iceman

Smash Journeyman

I can guarantee you that if I had stayed that late, I would have been watching GF's. C!Z, if your goal is to make the scene bigger/ get more hype, than you need to advertise tourneys more. Most casual gamers don't play melee anymore, these things happen with 9 year old games. Personally, I'm very into the scene right now even though it's completely static. My goal is to start breaking that up and it should be every smasher's goal that practices a lot. Right now I'm at the stage where I can beat all the people who aren't very good. Now I need to start beating the kids who are good, starting with kline and moving up from there.

Also I would play dubs at gc, except that I never get to practice them so to me it just feels like wasting money

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
yeah, that's the other thing. you guys don't actually know how the noobs/randoms feel. why not try asking them? "what could we change to make things more appealing to you?" survey the casuals around washington.

looking at the problem of a lack of casual player interest from a competitive pro point of view isn't going to help as much as trying to get a better understanding of the situation from the other side of the coin.

like, t-iceman just said entering doubles feels like a waste of money to him cuz he doesn't get to practice it. i would never have guessed that a noob would feel that way, cuz to me, the logic would be "i never get to play teams, so i would love to get the chance to enter it!"

so in summary, there's too much of a disconnect between pro players and casuals. fix that, first

C!Z

Smash Lord
I do tell people to come, every time. I don't wanna have to though. I wanna play somethin that has hype and a scene. If the scene does ever come back, then I'll have a reason to. As for just worry about the majors, how? Us 5 are the only practice for majors, and us 5 don't play enough together. Shane never plays, he doesn't care anymore. He knows he can get top 2 without practicing. There's just so much to it. It's just the way I feel. I want hype. If i have to go to another game to get it, so be it.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
lol bring it iceman...my two will be waiting.

its definitely a disconnect. next gc im going back into friend mode. we don't even know their names yo. imma start collecting numbers again and keep in contact and grab their friends etc.

lets look into fb contact since we all got one. ill do it or shane/otto/toph should make a wa melee group.

its just lack of effort, back in the day I use to smash with anyone and everyone. with the exception of otto, we just gotta give back to the lil *****s. make them want to come.

we probably shouldn't all just try to smash together at gc since we do that during the week all the time. thats why I smashed with the other guys, even then I felt like an ******* for wearing headphones.

it really means alot when better players take interest in you, I remember thats how I felt.

well if youre in it for the hype, why not quit LoL? you can find somethin else to do during the day if thats your only excuse. theres sure as **** aint no hype for that when youre playin it. just expand to 3 games or somethin. like i said, youre not gonna want to come back later once you suck, ask nate whats up, hes a perfect example.

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
LMAO yeah, everyone community has its gateway. in hawaii (for street fighter), theres this little scrawny asian kid named Joo who you have to beat to be "in." i think kline is definitely our gateway haha

yo kline, try saying, "NONE. SHALL. PASS" in a booming voice

cmon ciz, it cant be that bad. is it really only the hype? the fact that all your best wa friends are HELLA into it should be enough to make it fun. at least thats how i see it.

C!Z

Smash Lord
We could say the same thing about LoL with the best friends thing. I play LoL cuz of Burr really. He's one of my best friends ever and I want some contact with him. Plus I'm good at it haha.

aight well, what im sayin is if the hype is a big deal you could put less focus on LoL (make it not one of your 2 competitive games) seeing as how you dont actually "compete." you could pick up some other game and still play melee witcha boiz. you could get good at melee, and can keep getting good for like ever. thats part of why its so tight and more worth investing that time on. i bet well still be playin melee after most of the homies you play with quit LoL a long time ago.

PandaMageMaltDrinka

Smash Apprentice
pretty much it goes like this, the South only has 2 and a half drivers / nDie / Oreo / Syler if he wants too or is able to / Lynwood = a good 2 / 3 hours away from us / u want us to go to tourneys / half of us don't work / the ones that make money would rather get f'd up at each others houses and just play friendlys / chill and watch movies / i guess thats also because our 3 drivers don't want to always commute up north / i've seen eggz down here once like back in 07 for that random TP tourney / kline came down here also with phong which was tight / and i hear ya toph ya that bbq thing sounds hella badass, CHARLIE lets do a BBQ hah / anyways uh yea as far as the community having no motivation, its because of travel johns mostly at least as far as the south goes / also because of the lack of money / i'm sure if we all worked and had weekends off / we'd be up north for just about every tourney because we'd all have money to bull**** after word / and hell / we could even spot some fools / throw down on MM's / have fun / and c!z / u **** sir / if u quit / we got no marth

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
word. that's the thing - you can't have hype if you're not down to work for it. bringin everyone together means more than posting on the forums or sending a text once in a while. it means callin people up, hitting each other up on facebook FREQUENTLY, traveling... ASKING people what their situation is, instead of grumpily goin "BUNCHA CASUAL***S" (sup shane LOL). literally EXPANDING your group of friends.

check it, the south has hella people who would be into it if not for a travel situation. canada is a pretty similar situation, where distance is a big factor - and how many of you guys can even name 10 smashers from BC? you ever try calling up randoms from CANADA to come down? nah, cuz that would be too much work, right? ;D

circumstances like those can be worked around and dealt with. maybe the south should throw weekend-long smashfests with potlucks and drinking involved to give the north incentive to take long trips down. shane used to bus for 3 hours every damn weekend. people will travel hella if they know the fun factor is gonna be worth it.

how bout making a facebook group for the ENTIRETY of the pacific northwest, INCLUDING casual***s from the UW or whatever, and keepin tabs on people? on facebook, we have a "pseudo-message board" (it's a private message with like 10-ish recipients, so everyone posts as if it was a BBS) for all of UW smash. this includes mega-casuals like zemek - we don't even talk about smash half of the time, but it's a group of friends who met via smash and keep up with each other. i post smash videos in there a lot for the people who wouldn't watch them otherwise, too. you'd be surprised - the little stuff goes a long way in keeping people interested.

t-iceman

Smash Journeyman
I completely agree with toph in terms of the fb group. That needs to happen in order for the scene to grow just because of how huge fb is. Some one should get on that ****

Top Bottom